Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new 1.8TQM!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 A4 Avant
      08-30-2012 03:31 PM #36
      Nice car. I love those seats, wish I had sport leather...

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      08-30-2012 04:04 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ISHOT View Post
      Also, car runs awesome, hasnt given me any problems, doesnt leak or burn anything, so even though I just rolled over 230,000, im thinking of GIAC chipping it... What is worst case scenario? I kill my turbo?
      No, the turbo going out would be "best case scenario" lol. with that kind of miles, and no repair history its hard to say. 1.8ts are strong yes but, there is more to a 1.8t engine bay then just the material of the engine, i wouldnt even think of modding my car with out around 2 grand in maintenance prior, at the very least

Timing belt kit, coolant temp sensor, 02 sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs, coolant flange on back of head that holds cts, check on all vacuum lines / coolant hoses, replace when necessary..

Any hp goals? turbo size? or just a stock turbo kind of build. btw take that honda emblem off your subs hahahah will get crap for it here

with that kind of miles, i honestly see a serious head ache in your future, boosting an engine with almost a quarter mil on it is just asking for problems.

If i was in your position, and i had the money, resources, and perseverance, i would just rebuild the engine, or do a stock tune + Dv and cat delete, then start saving for an overhaul, before something catastrophic happens and your head or block or crank become garbage. Engine builds dont happen over night, it would be a long, drawn out, excruciating process, but is so worth it in the end.

Drop in IE Forged rods
      JE Pistons, keep Stock bore + rehone cylinders
      Fresh hardware (weather its stock or ARP or Euro or whatever...)
      Fresh bearings (doesn't have to be performance, but if i had everything out, i would throw something performance in)
      +every seal, gasket, O-ring, anything you can get at while the engine is out (aka everything)

I know it sounds like alot, but look at the other route...
      you buy a stage 1 tune, like it alot... but after a few months you want more (you will)

So you decide to go a little bigger because your on a budget, so k04 or franken turbo will probably be what you pick for the next step up of an upgrade, next thing you know your boosting 20 lbs on an engine with 250k... in the end somethings gonna brake... and when it does, **** around it will also be destroyed aswell (cylinder walls for example)...

Go stage 1, and start a piggy bank, because weather its for a BT build or an engine overhaul from catastrophic failure, you WILL need that money one day
      Last edited by Audiquattro337; 08-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.

3. 08-31-2012 04:11 PM #38
      Thanks for the detailed answer! I dont think I have too much motivation to make it really fast. Its just a little slow for me now, If i was really power hungry I feel like id be better off saving up and getting an S4. There was a really nice Pearl white S4 with like 130,000 and a blown motor for $1000 near me, I wish Id gotten that and replaced the engine. My plans are like intake, exhaust, and tune really. Nothing more than that. And Im not sure if this motor is original, it just seems too clean. Im just wondering if JUST stage one would be relatively safe...

And I know I need a new box, I want to go stealth box fiberglass style, and do it right. But that will cost $$$$$$$$. So for now I just dont open my trunk for anyone haha.

My dilemma now is what first, GIAC stage one, or ST coilovers?

I also need to make a decision with tires before winter (im super stoked to really use quattro for the first time) I have the 17" stockers with pretty good summer tires, the the 18" b6 S4 Avus wheels with summer tires with about 1/4 tread left on the front. I plan on either getting winter tires for the 17"s, or possibly buying different wheels with summer tires (an aggressive OEM+ 5 spoke wheel of some kind), and keeping the AVUS's for winter, so itll still look cool in the winter haha. And selling the 17's. You guys think 18" is too big for winter tires?

I REALLY like these, something like this if I buy new wheels.

Last edited by ISHOT; 08-31-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Vehicles
      08-31-2012 07:56 PM #39
      yeah stage one is fine i would look into unitronic stage 1, ssautochrome exhaust with test pipe and a 007 forge dv, and i would add the k&n cone filter in the diy does make the car sound really good, plus if you save for a heat shield its a really clean setup that makes the maf easy to get at plus more room in the bay in general

no problem welcome to the b5 world !

Vehicles
      09-02-2012 02:34 AM #40
      Thanks for the detailed answer! I dont think I have too much motivation to make it really fast. Its just a little slow for me now, If i was really power hungry I feel like id be better off saving up and getting an S4. There was a really nice Pearl white S4 with like 130,000 and a blown motor for $1000 near me, I wish Id gotten that and replaced the engine. My plans are like intake, exhaust, and tune really. Nothing more than that. And Im not sure if this motor is original, it just seems too clean. Im just wondering if JUST stage one would be relatively safe...

And I know I need a new box, I want to go stealth box fiberglass style, and do it right. But that will cost $$$$$$$$. So for now I just dont open my trunk for anyone haha.

My dilemma now is what first, GIAC stage one, or ST coilovers?

I also need to make a decision with tires before winter (im super stoked to really use quattro for the first time) I have the 17" stockers with pretty good summer tires, the the 18" b6 S4 Avus wheels with summer tires with about 1/4 tread left on the front. I plan on either getting winter tires for the 17"s, or possibly buying different wheels with summer tires (an aggressive OEM+ 5 spoke wheel of some kind), and keeping the AVUS's for winter, so itll still look cool in the winter haha. And selling the 17's. You guys think 18" is too big for winter tires?

I REALLY like these, something like this if I buy new wheels.

I have always thought those rims go really really well with the b5.

6. 09-04-2012 01:13 AM #41
      Does anyone know what theyre called?

Vehicles
      09-04-2012 04:14 PM #42
      not sure their name but i believe they come off a b8 s4?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      09-04-2012 07:00 PM #43
      "Potato Peelers"
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

9. 10-05-2012 10:08 PM #44
      Well for some reason the battery is dying after sitting for like an hour. Ive been having trouble with my speakers popping, its been getting worse. And now when i hooked up the battery charger, even with the radio off and keys out of the ignition, my speakers make a noise with the charger, like alternator whine, but much worse. Ill look into that tomorrow.

And there is a guy on craigslist with a pretty well used Milltek exhaust for 500, and a GIAC stage 2 ECU for $180, I think im gonna scoop the ECU, because I was quoted at the closest GIAC dealer $500+ just to chip it. I was worried about what was involved in stage 2, looks like all i need is a down pipe, would it hurt the car to not have one if i threw in the ECU, i just wouldnt get as much power? I hear a FMIC is recommended, also, but not needed. Yes? I want a DV soon anyway also, mainly for the sound but im sure ill need it for stage 2.

10. 10-05-2012 10:10 PM #45
      My downpipe is broke off right now BTW, so my exhaust isnt as restrictive as it should be.

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      10-06-2012 08:28 PM #46
      You'll be fine with the stock exhaust, just won't see the full benefit of the tune. Pick up that Milltek though.
      GRIP | SQUARED | WOOKIE

Buy My Wheels

12. 10-07-2012 04:07 AM #47
      It looks pretty rough haha. And im pretty broke right now, if get this chip, I wont be getting a phone like ive been planning on haha. Id rather have moar fast.

But id rather just go SSAC down the line, still sounds nice, looks good, and costs half as much as that rusty Milltek. Hes got a Carbonio for $180 that I want too, even though it wont help much, looks and sounds beautiful.

But thanks for the advice! Im glad someone replied, im driving there in the morning, he said he'll install the ECU for me and let me test it first, too.

13. 10-08-2012 04:43 PM #48
      Well I got the chip and loved it! . . . For one day. Today I got on it, and right when it reached full boost it got much louder, and you could hear the turbo LOUDLY, so I figured it was the flex pipe, and drove pretty hard the 2 miles home to hear how ridiculous it sounds. Checked under the hood when I got home, only to realize that the downpipe cracked off at the flange. So, I spent all my money on a chip, and now ill have to insure the civic again and wait until I get a downpipe. It drives but I dont want to bring a fire extinguisher with me when I drive.

I took pics, but someone took my camera cord.

14. 01-17-2013 03:30 PM #49
      Shopping for coilovers! Should I take advantage of the 699 shipped ST's? Or would you guys think I should go with Vogtland? I would like to spend less than 1200, and want decent daily ride quality because Detroit has the worst roads in the country, but I might do some autocrossing in the spring...

Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      01-17-2013 03:45 PM #50
      Shopping for coilovers! Should I take advantage of the 699 shipped ST's? Or would you guys think I should go with Vogtland? I would like to spend less than 1200, and want decent daily ride quality because Detroit has the worst roads in the country, but I might do some autocrossing in the spring...
      ST for sure
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

16. 01-17-2013 06:12 PM #51
      This is making me have second thoughts on STs... I don't plan on completely slamming it so idk.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ur-impressions

Vehicles
      '01 S4 2.7TTQM '01 A4 1.8TQM Sold
      01-17-2013 07:20 PM #52
      I guess it depends what you're going for. I love my ST's riding at 23.5 gtf . They're great for daily driving. I've heard Vmaxx and other 'cheaper' coils tend to be too bouncy, but if you're really worried spend the money on some koni's or H&R's. ST's are the best bang for the buck IMO

18. 01-17-2013 10:28 PM #53
      Every coilover ive researched has awful reviews and great reviews. I think im just gonna go with ST, I love your stance and if it isnt bouncy over 75 like ive heard some people say and rides good to you im all about it! Stoked for a decent stance.

Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      01-18-2013 09:43 AM #54
      STs are great from what I hear. Just keep in mind that with any coilover, the lower you go, the bumpier it's going to get.
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

20. 01-21-2013 03:44 PM #55
      My cars had a small oil leak for a while, and now that today its 15 degrees, I let it warm up, drove to a friends house, jumped on the freeway. His dad called a few minutes later and said my car leaked bad in his driveway, I turned around, went home, and as I pulled on my street the oil light came on. I didnt see when I left but there was a 6 foot oil puddle in my driveway... Hopefully the motors alright. It was the last thing it needed at 236,000 though. My last oil change I got at 2500 miles and they said it was so sludged up the filter barely drained when he pulled it off. I guess wish me luck haha.

The leak looks like its from the filter area but not above it, any idea's of common leaks?

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B5 Audi S4 , 1990 G60 Turbo Corrado "for sale"
      01-23-2013 08:37 AM #56
      wow good find is it a quattro? (all-wheel-drive)

22. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      01-23-2013 01:29 PM #57
      My cars had a small oil leak for a while, and now that today its 15 degrees, I let it warm up, drove to a friends house, jumped on the freeway. His dad called a few minutes later and said my car leaked bad in his driveway, I turned around, went home, and as I pulled on my street the oil light came on. I didnt see when I left but there was a 6 foot oil puddle in my driveway... Hopefully the motors alright. It was the last thing it needed at 236,000 though. My last oil change I got at 2500 miles and they said it was so sludged up the filter barely drained when he pulled it off. I guess wish me luck haha.

The leak looks like its from the filter area but not above it, any idea's of common leaks?
      Oil cooler o-ring. It's common
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

23. 01-26-2013 04:10 PM #58
      It was the O ring! 20 minute job, thank god. Cars coming together pretty nicely for my budget... Ive been hooning like crazy in the snow, I deliver pizzas in it 3 days a week and im sideways through every neighborhood lol. Knock on wood, this car has been WAY more reliable than I expected. Well since ive been mad slacking on the pictures...

At work before the winter wheels.

Sold my civic...

Used that money...

To buy these (which just got to my house 5 minutes ago)

HOOONINGGGG

First decal, threw it on the windshield.

Reason I ordered coils, look at that reverse rake haha.

I got tired of my dead silent turbo the other day...

Went to the NAIAS with the dudes last week, wet dream.

All new 4 series is a work of art.

Flagship.

CrossBlue was nice, about time the world gets a torquey electric 4X4.

BEKAUZ SPACESHIP

Me and my dudes tried taking a bunch of hardass pictures when we were there haha, im in the green.

Also, I applied at an Audi dealership to be a salesman last week, hopefully it works out, id still be content working in service.

Last edited by ISHOT; 02-17-2013 at 02:00 PM.

24. 02-26-2013 09:42 PM #59
      Just cell phone pics for now, but much better.

And new knob, never seen one like it before, came with 5 and 6 speed shift patterns, OEM, $30.

I need tires pretty bad, so im going to powdercoat (I have my own gun) my 18" Avus wheels, I was thinking maybe gold... I havent seen these rims in gold before. What color do you guys think would look good? I can do any metal finish, candy, anodized, copper vein, wrinkle, you name it. Its hard for me to visualize what will look good.
      Last edited by ISHOT; 02-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 A4 Avant
      02-26-2013 09:48 PM #60
      Where does one acquire that shift knob?

26. 02-27-2013 01:27 AM #61
      I searched all over on statewidelist (craigslist), saw the knob but it was like 200 miles away, never saw one like that so I googled it and the one from craigslist was also on ebay, so i snagged it off ebay. But when I googled it I didnt see any other ones on any cars. Its really nice quality, im happy with it.

That pic doesnt really do it justice, its more red than it looks in that one. Once spring rolls around and I readjust my short throw ill take one of it installed.
      Last edited by ISHOT; 02-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.

27. 04-08-2013 04:06 PM #62
      Welp, got some new tires for the Avus', went to get an alignment, i needed a few suspension parts to align it, so I got a complete FCP groton control arm kit, and a rear toe arm and the 4 bushings for the bottom of the rear uprights. I havent had much time but im just eating up these tires so i need to do these control arms soon.

I found what seems to be a pretty reputable place around me that says they can align it for $60. But, the dealer and and AutoEurope can do it for $200, and I know for a fact they will do it correctly. So im debating on where to go.

I also need to roll and pull my fenders soon, anyone know of anyone in the detroit area that can help me out? After theyre rolled im going to measure the gap and order some spacers to push these wheels out as far as i can. Ive heard that can kill my wheel bearings though?

I took off the plastidip, and I like how it looks better from far away, but these wheels have seen better days. Black just makes the wheels look smaller and i dont like it. So, im putting plastidip back on, and probably going with their metalizer. It looks awesome, I stumbled upon this page http://www.dipwithme.com/2013/03/cop...82115270822825

Im debating on going with the copper or gold metalizer for these wheels, opinions?

Copper

Gold

The car now, sorry for all the instagram pictures. Right now im searching for a good used DSLR.

New Valeos, and I couldnt find much on prefacelift to facelift at all, so if anyone is curious, facelift harness wires matched my wiring, only needed to run 3 wires for now. But, I only have the headlights mounted from the top, the two bottom tabs dont match my car, so my headlights shake a little when I hit bumps, which im not happy with.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      04-08-2013 11:24 PM #63
      That knob looks terrible installed.

Ask me how I know.
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

29. 04-10-2013 05:07 AM #64
      Fits my interior alright, especially at night. Good OEM quality and 1/3 the price of RS4 knob and most importantly the shift pattern is correct.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 2.8Q
      04-10-2013 11:32 AM #65
      Looks like you need to cut your fenders to get them to fit all the way.

31. 04-11-2013 03:50 AM #66
      I know, that ones on temporarily, i need to figure out why it isnt coming on. I didnt place the wire holder for the headlights right and a bulb broke. I replaced the bulb and it wont come on. When i fix wharevers wrong with it ill file it down and install it correctly. The fenders are cut just about as far as i coud go now though, I wont be able to shave much more off.

32. Member
      04-11-2013 09:28 AM #67
      Those are some really odd seats, I've never seen non-cloth 1.8t sport seats. They're definitely 1.8t seats because of the dual manual adjustments. I have a feeling that they were recovered at some point because the material doesn't look anything like the regular or buffalino leather you can get in the 2.8, nor does it look like the 1.8t pleather.

33. 04-12-2013 02:03 AM #68
      Im pretty sure thats how it rolled off the assembly line. And the guy I bought it from insisted they were stock, not knowing much about vag cars I assumed they were S4 seats and I felt like I got away with scoring an extra the guy didnt know about. Researched it, and ive only seen one other car online with these seats and it was also 97 1.8t that was trimmed exactly as my car, interior color and all. He was the original owner and said it was a 97 sport package and seats were an option (1.8T sport leathers). I definitely like them, im cleaning the tracks this spring, ill look under there to verify the year.

These seem to definitely be real leather, but dont really match my back seats pleather well, in material or pattern.
      Last edited by ISHOT; 04-12-2013 at 02:48 AM.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      01 A4 T-Quattro
      04-12-2013 10:09 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
      i like the seats
      Was thinking that same thing. I want those front seats!!
      78 Rabbit 2dr, 84 GTI, 86 Scirocco 16V, 87 GTI 16V, 90 Jetta, 90 Corrado, 91 Jetta, 92 GTI 16V, 96 GTI 2.0, 97 Jetta, 97 Passat VR, 06 Jetta 2.5, 95 GTI VR, 01 jetta 1.8T, 02 Passat 1.8T, 01 A4 1.8Q

35. 05-01-2013 02:55 PM #70
      Ive spent the last 3 weeks doing the control arms, planned on getting an alignment right after but nowhere around here will align it. The alignment is way off, its almost undriveable. So i limped my car down tp the end of my street to the shop, eating my brand new less than 500 mile tires that are already already down to the metal in back from negative camber.

I use my car to deliver pizzas at work, so I get a call from the shop after having my car for 5 hours. The guy tells me he drove my car a few miles away to discount tire to have them do it and they said they cant because theyll set off my air bag... The dude at the shop drove it to ANOTHER SHOP without my permission, what a joke. Hoping my tires arent more ****ed.

Now it looks like my only option is to get it towed to the dealer or AutoEurope. Both are like 40 miles away so I can only imagine the cost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast