Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motortrend 40 MPG Compact Sedan Test: Cruze Eco VS. Focus SFE VS. Civiv HF VS. Elantra VS. Mazda 3 VS. Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      06-11-2012 04:24 PM #1

Quote Originally Posted by MT

1st Place: Mazda3

Theoretical mileage: 50.9 mpg
      Actual mileage: 38.4 mpg
      Percent lower: 25
      Fuel cost/mile: 9.9c

Cars with day-glo "Eco" or "mpg'"badges slapped on their fenders are as often as not automotive empty suits: little more than a tall top gear ratio sitting on a set of skinny tires.
      But in the case of the Mazda3's Skyactiv engine technology, this couldn't be farther from the truth. Its 2.0-liter inline-4 is a state-of-the-argument case for advanced-technology gasoline engines, a Bach fugue of interweaving smart ideas with its engineering keystone being an eyebrow-raising 12.0:1 compression ratio. High compression ratios like this are good for efficiency, but bad for knock.

To make it work, the Mazda3's compressed intake charge is cooled by 3000psi, six-hole, direct fuel injection. The next heat countermeasure is that the ensuing combustion is contained by a small cavity at its top to the piston, and finally, long exhaust headers help prevent exhaust heat back-washing into other cylinders. As a kicker, friction has been reduced by 30 percent. Mazda has done its homework, and it showed on the road as the '3 returned better mileage than the both the Elantra and Focus.

That said, it was also the car that most caused us to glance around the room during our deliberations and silently concur that it was the one we could most enjoy driving every day. Let's listen in on the conversation: Evans: "Great-handling car, very tossable with quick steering and very good feedback. The Mazda3 is easily the most fun vehicle to drive at the Proving Ground. Digging the big seat bolsters." Martinez: "A few hundred feet into the heart of downtown Tehachapi, I could already tell it was a solid car."

Naturally, there were a few dings, too: Evans: "The transmission is a bit stingy with downshifts, and that navigation screen is just too small to be so high up and far away on the dash." But Markus summed it up perfectly: "Bottom line, this car's a sacrifice that drives like a splurge."
      The question we started with was "Is there actually a '40-mpg' car that you'd want to own?" Indeed, there is -- the Mazda3.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/

Once again, the Elantra gets the lowest observed mileage in a comparison test

If a mod could fix my spelling error in the main thread title that would be sweet...
      Last edited by InfinitiG; 06-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      06-11-2012 04:34 PM #2

Though I wish they tested the Passat over the Jetta - it would return about 10% better fuel consumption figures.

06-11-2012 04:44 PM #3
      Wouldn't the Passat sit in another price segment?

And might as well get this out of the way: Golf TDI > everything in this test?
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      NB Miata, DE Mazda2
      06-11-2012 04:45 PM #4
      Seeing the TDI only barely squeak out better economy than a bunch of gas engined cars is kind of embarrassing. Whatever happened to 50mpg TDIs? The car was driven on a fuel-economy loop so it's hard to make the "aggressive magazine driver" argument.

If I were buying a car like this with a priority on fuel economy I think I'd end up with a Mazda3 or a Focus SE with a stick (not the SFE). Didn't someone recently run the numbers and find that none of the active-grille-shutter trickery packages actually pay off?
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      06-11-2012 04:49 PM #5
      Wow, so much for that TDI.

6. 06-11-2012 04:49 PM #6
      Another case of support for the EPA underrating diesels, or getting diesels quite right and being a more off on others?

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      06-11-2012 04:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      If I were buying a car like this with a priority on fuel economy I think I'd end up with a Mazda3 or a Focus SE with a stick (not the SFE).
      Same, with the nod going to the Mazda, I was never able to get myself to fit properly in the Focus' driver seat.
      RSX-S

06-11-2012 04:54 PM #8
      Jetta had the DSG.

Since in theory with the MT you should be able to cruise your way yo over 50 MPG in the right conditions. However since most Americans choose an automatic I guess it is fair to say deisels are not the bright future for Americans some would like them to be.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2013 Golf [R] Candy White, '95E34 (gone), '92 Corrado VR6 (gone), '10 CC Rline (stolen) & many more
      06-11-2012 04:54 PM #9
      The TDI was misrepresented here. There will be plenty of owners come in here and say the same. Its nothing new.
      2013 CW Golf [R] 4dr / GIAC Stage 1 93oct / Evolution Motorsport CAI / B&G Coilovers / 18x8 et41 Polished Interlagos

Rejean Sucre > Internet Sales Director > Clearlake VW www.clearlakevw.net > cell-281-468-4025 Instagram " Rejean_ "

10. 06-11-2012 04:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Once again, the Elantra gets the lowest observed mileage in a comparison test..
      Yeah, let's just ignore the Elantra doing a good bit better than the Focus SFE in the Popular Mechanics MPG test as well as the one done by Car & Driver (currently only available in print).

For the C&D test, the Elantra did a bit better than the Focus SFE and Cruze Eco, but the Mazda3 SkyActiv was even better.
      Last edited by CP1; 06-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      NB Miata, DE Mazda2
      06-11-2012 04:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Same, with the nod going to the Mazda, I was never able to get myself to fit properly in the Focus' driver seat.
      What didn't you like? I'll be honest, I haven't sat in a current-gen Focus yet, somehow it's been a blind spot in my car experience.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      06-11-2012 05:00 PM #12
      What didn't you like? I'll be honest, I haven't sat in a current-gen Focus yet, somehow it's been a blind spot in my car experience.
      Wish you'd said that a couple weeks ago. We just had one.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      06-11-2012 05:02 PM #13
      The driving position in general, couldn't adjust it to be comfortable at all. The driver door arm-rests were particularly awkward in their positioning. Not enough room for legs either, felt very cramped. Keep in mind I am 6'4" .
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      06-11-2012 05:03 PM #14
      How did they manage to mess that one up, I get 42mpg in my 04 jetta tdi with 18x8.5 bbs ch's and crappy china 225/40 tires driving 120+ on the highway and doing about a 70% highway, 30% city split , if I put a bit of effort in and drive a bit slower I get close to 50mpg
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      06-11-2012 05:04 PM #15
      I had a good feeling about the Mazda winning.

Quote Originally Posted by 1.8turboB5 View Post
      The TDI was misrepresented here.
      What do you mean?
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      06-11-2012 05:05 PM #16
      Blunder??

The Skyactiv is 14:1 compression, or so was my impression from reading about it a few days ago. (EDIT: Just did some checking and I guess the numbers arent clear? Maybe it's 13:1? If it's 12:1, that's really nothing special).

Props to Mazda on the great technology.

Still think the TDI beats it though... and really not just saying that as a diesel fan. Not sure it's a valid comparison to use air metering and whatever other gimmicks they used to measure economy. What I do know is 42mpg in the Jetta TDI is nonsense, if it's highway conditions we are talking about. The Jetta should have easily been at an honest 48-51mpg at 65mph.
      Last edited by RogueTDI; 06-11-2012 at 05:35 PM.

17. 06-11-2012 05:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      Yeah, let's just ignore the Elantra doing a good bit better than the Focus SFE in the Popular Mechanics MPG test as well as the one done by Car & Driver (currently only available in print).

For the C&D test, the Elantra did a bit better than the Focus SFE and Cruze Eco, but the Mazda3 SkyActiv was even better.
      Good work Robin, now wheres Batman?

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:08 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIDamien_407 View Post
      How did they manage to mess that one up, I get 42mpg in my 04 jetta tdi with 18x8.5 bbs ch's and crappy china 225/40 tires driving 120+ on the highway and doing about a 70% highway, 30% city split , if I put a bit of effort in and drive a bit slower I get close to 50mpg
      You mean how did they get different numbers than you in a different location in different driving conditions at different speeds in a different generation Jetta with a different engine, different wheels and different tires? Witchcraft, I guess.
      Esi ϟ Disi

19. 06-11-2012 05:09 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Good work Robin, now wheres Batman?
      Why don't you do something a little more constructive w/ your posts than make sophmoric comments?

You, know, like actually add something of substance for once instead of being someone who thinks he is more clever than he actually is.

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda 3i Touring
      06-11-2012 05:11 PM #20
      Go Mazda
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I often pass slow-moving Priuii on the right, my engine clubbing 9000 baby seals per minute while I do so.

21. 06-11-2012 05:13 PM #21
      By all accounts, the SkyActiv is a winner for Mazda; the question is whether that is enough for Mazda.

- LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      06-11-2012 05:13 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      You mean how did they get different numbers than you in a different location in different driving conditions at different speeds in a different generation Jetta with a different engine, different wheels and different tires? Witchcraft, I guess.
      Must be...
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

23. 06-11-2012 05:13 PM #23
      Why don't you do something a little more constructive w/ your posts than make sophmoric comments?

You, know, like actually add something of substance for once instead of being someone who thinks he is more clever than he actually is.
      You are right, I just need to pick a brand to cheer lead for and I will get right on that .

Is Hyundai-Kia still hiring? It seems like all the positions are filled around here but worth asking .

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:17 PM #24
      Seeing the TDI only barely squeak out better economy than a bunch of gas engined cars is kind of embarrassing. Whatever happened to 50mpg TDIs? The car was driven on a fuel-economy loop so it's hard to make the "aggressive magazine driver" argument.

If I were buying a car like this with a priority on fuel economy I think I'd end up with a Mazda3 or a Focus SE with a stick (not the SFE). Didn't someone recently run the numbers and find that none of the active-grille-shutter trickery packages actually pay off?

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Wow, so much for that TDI.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
      Another case of support for the EPA underrating diesels, or getting diesels quite right and being a more off on others?
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Jetta had the DSG.

Since in theory with the MT you should be able to cruise your way yo over 50 MPG in the right conditions. However since most Americans choose an automatic I guess it is fair to say deisels are not the bright future for Americans some would like them to be.

I'm sure MT messed something up with their assumptions, to be kind to MT...

I routinely see 50mpg at 65mph in my GOLF, which is LESS aerodynamic than the Jetta. Even with the shorter-geared DSG, the TDI should give near 50mpg at 65mph. Many other people around here will vouch for that fact.

Motortrend messed something up, and I have a hard time believing it's coincidence. It's more like, dont want VW to be in a league of its own and embarrass all the wannabe-50mpg cars.

25. 06-11-2012 05:19 PM #25
      Its a well known fact that the illuminati have been waging a secret war on TDIs for decades now. All the major auto journalists are in on it.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:22 PM #26

Thanks. I think that seals it up pretty nicely.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:22 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Wouldn't the Passat sit in another price segment?

And might as well get this out of the way: Golf TDI > everything in this test?
      The Passat TDI SE is $2k less expensive as the Jetta they tested, though the Jetta was clearly the most expensive of the group.

And no, the TDI wasn't the winner in overall ratings, just observed fuel economy and 0-60 (tied).

I just took a 2000 mile roadtrip in mine. I averaged about 49 mpg for the highway stints (cruise set 65-75) and 46 mpg for the entire trip (including in town stop/go at the destinations). It can also go about 900 miles on a tank on the highway. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it in terms of the powertrain.

This test clearly shows there are other great choices to be had in the gasoline ranks, which is something that couldn't be said just a few years ago.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:22 PM #28
      Its a well known fact that the illuminati have been waging a secret war on TDIs for decades now. All the major auto journalists are in on it.
      I like that, hehe.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      06-11-2012 05:26 PM #29
      Here's there projected MPG chart for all of the cars in the test. Mileage vs. speed (steady state cruising, AKA the TDI driver's best friend).

www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      06-11-2012 05:26 PM #30
      at all the people whining about how the TDI 'got hosed', etc.

It averaged 41.6 MPG on the loop of stop and go, highway, etc. That's freaking good.

Some of you guys need to stop drinking the goddamned kool-aid.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:27 PM #31

You have a good point. The gas engines have come a long way.

Bear in mind the Jetta DSG is hardly the best spec for fuel economy, but to be fair some of the other cars (Cruze) weren't optimally spec'd either.

The Passat manual (and probably DSG) would do a legit 50 mpg at 70 mph.

Vehicles
      Touareg 3 and B7 A4
      06-11-2012 05:27 PM #32
      True.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      06-11-2012 05:28 PM #33
      i find it funny that the mazda3 was marked the winner even though in fuel cost/mile, it was more expensive than everything but the Elantra... and only tied with the Focus SFE.

i also dislike the skewed/biased numbers toward the Jetta TDI. by making it an optioned up DSG model they gave it two strikes right up front, mileage and purchase price. the TDI was optioned way up to $27k, so i wonder how price played into the ratings?

fueleconomy.gov users say that the manual Jetta TDI gets about +3mpg more than the DSG does.

they need to stop the friggen biases here.
      manual engines, unless n/a.
      base models, so that 'amenities' don't skew opinion.
      take purchase price out of the equation, unless they are going to include RESALE price as well.

^ do that and you will have a more realistic test.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 06-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:29 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post
      I'm sure MT messed something up with their assumptions, to be kind to MT...

I routinely see 50mpg at 65mph in my GOLF, which is LESS aerodynamic than the Jetta. Even with the shorter-geared DSG, the TDI should give near 50mpg at 65mph. Many other people around here will vouch for that fact.
      Which the constant-speed chart they provided (that I don't think you even looked at) pretty much bears out. So I don't get why you're complaining.
      Esi ϟ Disi

35. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-11-2012 05:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      at all the people whining about how the TDI 'got hosed', etc.

It averaged 41.6 MPG on the loop of stop and go, highway, etc. That's freaking good.

Some of you guys need to stop drinking the goddamned kool-aid.
      They need to stop spiking the kool-aid.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast