Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: APR K04 Build experience 2012 GLI bad software?

Vehicles
      1987 Junkyard Golf, MKV Jetta, 2004 V8 Toureg, 2012 GLI
      10-09-2012 10:09 AM #246
      It all started with the '11+ CCs and 12+ GLIs having a different computer, then continued when the software map was a little different between those cars and the GTIs (who as far as I know never had a problem). APR had their top mechanical tech and top software tech on it for two days. You should be safe.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      10-09-2012 10:47 AM #247
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrottplatzer View Post
      It all started with the '11+ CCs and 12+ GLIs having a different computer, then continued when the software map was a little different between those cars and the GTIs (who as far as I know never had a problem). APR had their top mechanical tech and top software tech on it for two days. You should be safe.
      I wonder if this also goes for the non KO4 software as well? Where is Arin?

Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      10-09-2012 12:18 PM #248
      From what engineering said, the misfires really didn't make sense. All data appeared perfect, right until they occurred. It was like hitting a brick wall and would not shift out of third (DSG). The misfires were on one cylinder, 3rd gear, right near redline. (Manual shift fine, automatic shift, not fine). They swapped the coil packs, spark plugs and injectors and the misfire did not follow. They checked for carbon buildup and it was fine. The MAF was unplugged to help rule out any leaks (Some were found and fixed), but there was no change. The car was run very lean to help rule out a fueling issue, but there was no change. IIRC other hardware was examined too. It's possible it could be mechanical, such as something in the head / valve train like we've seen on some FSI models with incorrect valve springs from the factory, however we don't have any data to support that and I don't want to assume that's the case and cause mass hysteria. We have people reporting misfires, and we have people with the same cars / transmissions / ECUs reporting no misfires. We even have our in house MK6 GLI MED17.5.2 with a stage 3/3+ (prototype) turbocharger system, on stock injectors, with no misfires what so ever (IE, higher power levels, more demand on the system). I would only expect misfires on higher power vehicles, so stage 1/2 should not have any issues at all, and we've had 0 reports from what I gather. In the end changes were made to get the car to a point where it would not misfire. IIRC, when the engineers left (Had to leave), it was fine, however they wanted to see if anything would change over the weekend (which it did) so the other files were updated. I have a few other people testing now. We'll be looking to get another car in house to dig into this future to find out what's going on.

So, if anyone has the misfire issue, please send me an email, and I'll get the updates out for you to try. aahnell@goapr.com

Thanks!
      Last edited by Arin@APR; 10-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat Wagon 2.0 TSI 12; APR K04 ; S3 IC; carbonio; DP APR;cat 200 cels inox;paddle shifts;VCDS;
      10-09-2012 12:24 PM #249
      Happy to know that the issue has been fixed, after all the comments about.
      Since the beginning some of us believed that was an ECU issue, only in the MED 17.5.2 due to a lot of reasons explained through the comments.

Living and learning......

Passat B6 Wagon 2012 TSI; APR K04;DP 3",cat 200 cels;turbo outlet pipe;APR carbonio;VCDS;

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI K04
      10-10-2012 11:18 AM #250
      Quote Originally Posted by zucchini View Post
      Happy to know that the issue has been fixed, after all the comments about.
      Since the beginning some of us believed that was an ECU issue, only in the MED 17.5.2 due to a lot of reasons explained through the comments.

Living and learning......

Agreed with this. Definitely nice to see this has a positive resolution. And selfishly, happy to hear the "fix" has been applied to all GLI K04 tunes, since I'll be getting mine ASAP.
      2012 GLI DSG
      UNITRONIC TUNED K04 - Carbonio intake - UNITRONIC TBE - APR FMIC - Neuspeed TOP - HPA SHS Coilovers - HPA Red Motor Mount

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat Wagon 2.0 TSI 12; APR K04 ; S3 IC; carbonio; DP APR;cat 200 cels inox;paddle shifts;VCDS;
      10-10-2012 11:54 AM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by NS01GTI View Post
      Agreed with this. Definitely nice to see this has a positive resolution. And selfishly, happy to hear the "fix" has been applied to all GLI K04 tunes, since I'll be getting mine ASAP.
      That´s it!
      Enjoy it!!
      Passat B6 Wagon 2012 TSI; APR K04;DP 3",cat 200 cels;turbo outlet pipe;APR carbonio;VCDS;

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 STI (Ice Silver Metallic)
      10-11-2012 01:31 PM #252
      Did the apply to DSG only K04 equipped GLIs? Were there manual cars that experienced the same issues?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 ram 2500 cummins, bagged k04 2010 jetta wolfsburg,bagged 2010 tdi cup edition, 2009 jetta tdi
      10-12-2012 10:44 PM #253
      joel redid the software on my gli and the misfires went from in the 5k range up to now happening at 6k and higher and misfiring worse then before in the 5k range. also mine is a 6spd. i upgraded my coils to audi r8 coils and i installed new spark plugs twice and that didnt help. hopefully soon it will be fixed

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg jetta 1,8t
      10-13-2012 07:13 PM #254
      can you use a k03 center cartridge on a ko4 turbo?

Vehicles
      Golf R s3+, GTI s3+, MK4 R18 s3+, V6TT F150
      10-14-2012 11:59 AM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta03235 View Post
      can you use a k03 center cartridge on a ko4 turbo?
      I see you asked this same thing over and over again so figure you have your answer now?
      APTuning LLC, 30 s 5th Ave, Lebanon PA 17042, (717)272-0916
      aptuning.com - tom@aptuning.com - Facebook - Twitter
      APR Stocking Master Distributor - United Motorsport Distributor

11. 10-17-2012 05:32 PM #256
      I seriously doubt it's a software issue. I've had APR software on two different cars & well over 50K miles without issue. I'm currently running APR K04 software & kit on my 2012 GTI & my car runs flawlessly. I have had an issue with a coilpacks on my previous GLI though & was able to diagnose & repair the problem myself.
      2012 GTI APR K04

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2012 06:19 PM #257
      Fernando,

Did you try the last program? Better results?
      Post some info about.

Sydney

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      10-17-2012 08:14 PM #258
      Quote Originally Posted by ina04gli1.8t View Post
      I seriously doubt it's a software issue. I've had APR software on two different cars & well over 50K miles without issue. I'm currently running APR K04 software & kit on my 2012 GTI & my car runs flawlessly. I have had an issue with a coilpacks on my previous GLI though & was able to diagnose & repair the problem myself.
      It might not be, but the file loaded last Friday has fixed the misfires on my k04. That said, APR is not claiming to me that the new file is the solution. Hopefully we will hear more about this in the near future.
      Daily | Weekend | Project

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2012 08:52 PM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      It might not be, but the file loaded last Friday has fixed the misfires on my k04. That said, APR is not claiming to me that the new file is the solution. Hopefully we will hear more about this in the near future.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TSI/APR Stage3
      10-17-2012 11:11 PM #260
      Flash today the new software, misfires again in 6480rpm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by fea30boy; 10-17-2012 at 11:36 PM.
      2011 Jetta TSI
      APR Stage3/CTS FMIC/Forge Pipes

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2012 06:54 AM #261
      Quote Originally Posted by fea30boy View Post

Holy S...!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 4dr GTI Autobahn, RIP: 2000 4dr Golf GLS 1.8T - 226384 miles.
      10-18-2012 09:22 AM #262
      My experience with a bad injector harness on my 1.8T was that the car was virtually undriveable when the intermittent fault occurred, and perfectly fine when it did not. Its occurrence had no correlation with rpms, although the misfires were obviously more noticeable under load. Plumes of smoke out the exhaust too.

That problem saw my dealership 3 times and another in Ohio too, all without resolution. I eventually diagnosed the problem by tracing the harnesses with my fingertips, pushing lightly. As soon as I hit the break I could control the misfires like an on/off switch. 10 minutes with a soldering iron and I never saw the problem again in another 150k or so miles.

TLDR; Injector harness faults are tough to diagnose, but I don't think this is one.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      10-18-2012 11:53 AM #263
      less talk, more lawsuit
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-18-2012 12:41 PM #264
      Quote Originally Posted by ViRtUaLheretic View Post
      less talk, more lawsuit
      LOL someone modifies their car and something doesnt work and think you can sue?!? if its that big of problem go back to stock and return the parts
      ***from my vortex observations I have come to the conclusion that post count has no direct effect on automotive knowledge, or even common sense for that matter***

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      10-18-2012 12:57 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by jettaglx91 View Post
      LOL someone modifies their car and something doesnt work and think you can sue?!? if its that big of problem go back to stock and return the parts
      Errr, I think you missed the point. This is not a magnuson-moss warranty act as it relates to a VW warranty. This is more about paying for a widget that doesn't deliver as claimed/promised by the manufacturer. That manufacturer is not VW. VW cars just happen to be what the widget is for.

That said, I see no need to brig up anything having to do with a lawsuit. For now, I've chosen to work with APR to get things right.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-18-2012 01:16 PM #266
      Errr, I think you missed the point. This is not a magnuson-moss warranty act as it relates to a VW warranty. This is more about paying for a widget that doesn't deliver as claimed/promised by the manufacturer. That manufacturer is not VW. VW cars just happen to be what the widget is for.

That said, I see no need to brig up anything having to do with a lawsuit. For now, I've chosen to work with APR to get things right.
      I didnt miss anything i was going off the previous persons quote. if someone agrees to modify their car and it doesn't work you cant just sue someone. APR didn't do irrevocable damage to your car or anything of that nature. If it came down to it, the car could be put back to stock and the parts returned. It wasnt aimed at you, merely that the lawsuit comment was ridiculous.
      ***from my vortex observations I have come to the conclusion that post count has no direct effect on automotive knowledge, or even common sense for that matter***

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      10-18-2012 01:41 PM #267
      I didnt miss anything i was going off the previous persons quote. if someone agrees to modify their car and it doesn't work you cant just sue someone. APR didn't do irrevocable damage to your car or anything of that nature. If it came down to it, the car could be put back to stock and the parts returned. It wasnt aimed at you, merely that the lawsuit comment was ridiculous.
      If the tune does not work as advertised, then there is a legal issue. The tune is not designed, sold or advertised to work as an OEM replacement. Its designed, sold and advertised to provide more HP and TQ. If it doesn't do so, then the money should be refunded. That is why people are getting torq'd. They spent money on something that doesn't work as the manufacturer claims its supposed to.

I am not trying to argue, just sharing my view of why people are upset. This is APR's moto (from their website):

APR, Enhancing the Driving Experience with No Compromise.

I view my misfires as a compromise. Again, I am not jumping on the legal bandwagon. For now, I've chosen to work with APR. I believe they want this fixed more than I do. If they don't fix it, they are going to hurt their reputation and lose business. No business wants to let its brandname become tarnished.

- peace out

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-18-2012 02:14 PM #268
      If the tune does not work as advertised, then there is a legal issue. The tune is not designed, sold or advertised to work as an OEM replacement. Its designed, sold and advertised to provide more HP and TQ. If it doesn't do so, then the money should be refunded. That is why people are getting torq'd. They spent money on something that doesn't work as the manufacturer claims its supposed to.

I am not trying to argue, just sharing my view of why people are upset. This is APR's moto (from their website):

APR, Enhancing the Driving Experience with No Compromise.

I view my misfires as a compromise. Again, I am not jumping on the legal bandwagon. For now, I've chosen to work with APR. I believe they want this fixed more than I do. If they don't fix it, they are going to hurt their reputation and lose business. No business wants to let its brandname become tarnished.

- peace out
      just because something doesnt work its legal grounds to sue. If it doesnt perform as advertised or are un happy, return it and get your money back. Talking about legal action(especially when they are trying to resolve the problem) is just plain stupid.

If you go to the store and buy a tv and it doesnt work right do you sue Sony, Samsung, vizio, etc? no you take it back if they cant fix the problem

So either let them figure it out, or return the kit. Cryin about legal action is nonsense.

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      10-18-2012 02:42 PM #269
      just because something doesnt work its legal grounds to sue. If it doesnt perform as advertised or are un happy, return it and get your money back. Talking about legal action(especially when they are trying to resolve the problem) is just plain stupid.

If you go to the store and buy a tv and it doesnt work right do you sue Sony, Samsung, vizio, etc? no you take it back if they cant fix the problem

So either let them figure it out, or return the kit. Cryin about legal action is nonsense.
      And if the store doesn't take it back you are basically screwed. The little guy can't take on the big guy. The resources just aren't there. So, its silly to cry a legal cry, but that doesn't mean there isn't wrong doing.

The difference here is that when you go back to the store with your TV, you usually get a replacement that works. So, you don't really get screwed. In this case there is no replacement to give.

Sorry to be argumentative, but we are not dealing with CostCo or BestBuy and a third party product. Where I do agree with you is that I would work really hard to get refund before I started shouting on a forum.

Again, I am working for resolution first.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI APR K04
      10-18-2012 03:57 PM #270
      My car was one of the cars APR flew out to Oregon to fix. So far so good (knock on wood).

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 ram 2500 cummins, bagged k04 2010 jetta wolfsburg,bagged 2010 tdi cup edition, 2009 jetta tdi
      10-19-2012 07:14 PM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by fea30boy View Post

mine was relfashed and starts misfiring right around there too

27. 10-19-2012 07:35 PM #272
      Try to find an attorney that will take case such as this. It's not going to happen. Looks to me like APR is doing all they can to resolve the problem.
      2012 GTI APR K04

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 .:R (RIP), '09 GLI (Sold), '01 S4, '12 GTI
      10-20-2012 01:12 PM #273
      Has the problem been resolved? And also, are there any APR flashed k04 cars with MED 17.5.2 that are running with no misfires?

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-20-2012 01:15 PM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by 9900rpm View Post
      Has the problem been resolved? And also, are there any APR flashed k04 cars with MED 17.5.2 that are running with no misfires?
      yes lots. I think its still a mystery why there is a handful of cars with very similar issues, ita only a small percentage compared to how many are out there but still crappy none the less

30. Member
      Vehicles
      10-21-2012 12:41 AM #275
      I need to rephrase the question, as so far it seems (unless I missed something) that the cars with issues (misfires) are MED 17.5.2 equipped, APR flashed k04, DSG cars. My question would be, are there any cars out there that fit all of the above parameters that are running correctly with no misfiring? Also, are there any 6MT, MED 17.5.2 cars with APR k04 software running ok without misfires?

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      10-21-2012 04:45 PM #276
      I need to rephrase the question, as so far it seems (unless I missed something) that the cars with issues (misfires) are MED 17.5.2 equipped, APR flashed k04, DSG cars. My question would be, are there any cars out there that fit all of the above parameters that are running correctly with no misfiring? Also, are there any 6MT, MED 17.5.2 cars with APR k04 software running ok without misfires?

Mine is 6MT.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-21-2012 04:51 PM #277
      the answer is still yes, ive personally done 3 with 0 issues thus far

Actually the only complaint Ive had was a customer complaining it seemed "laggy" down low in teh rpm after a couple days driving it.

Turned out after the upgrade and it blazing the tires through 60mph he started "squeezing" the throttle rather then just flooring it. He thought it would make as much torque but not spin the tires.
      Last edited by jettaglx91; 10-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      10-22-2012 08:03 AM #278
      3 MED 17.5.2 APR k04 cars, or 3 MED 17.5.2 APR k04 DSG cars, with no issues?

I'm considering going this route in my MED 17.5.2 car (6MT). Just want to see how others are doing before diving head first into it. Misfires are no fun.

34. 10-22-2012 10:26 AM #279
      I've never been a APR fanboy by far but I am very impressed that they are stepping up trying to resolve this issue.

At the end of the day, gotta pay to play. Shouldn't of modded your car if you wanted it to be perfect day in and day out.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 CC
      10-22-2012 10:30 AM #280
      3 MED 17.5.2 APR k04 cars, or 3 MED 17.5.2 APR k04 DSG cars, with no issues?

I'm considering going this route in my MED 17.5.2 car (6MT). Just want to see how others are doing before diving head first into it. Misfires are no fun.
      I believe all three were dsg. I know 2 were as I drove them, the third I cant say for sure as I didnt drive it but pretty sure it was.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast