VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ordering a replacement key for VW Jetta

102K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Accidental L8 apex 
#1 · (Edited)
2004 Jetta. Anything I need to look out for in ordering a key fob. Alternatives to getting it cut and programmed at the dealership? Thanks

I should have stated that I currently have no key in my possession, it is lost in my house or was stolen along with my :cool: by some girls that are not too fond of me while I was under the influence of :beer:.... :facepalm:

#2 ·
2004 Jetta. Anything I need to look out for in ordering a key fob. Alternatives to getting it cut and programmed at the dealership? Thanks
There are a few locksmiths that can do keys like that, but they're unusual. How much is it to do at the dealership? It may not be worth the hassle trying to find an aftermarket solution when you can just walk into the dealership, give 'em your paperwork and voila! Instant key! :beer:

#6 ·
$350? Ouch. :(

I remember back in about 1990 having to tell people that their 928 keys were $75.00! Of course, they were laser cut on 3 planes (tumblers at three angles - six cuts if you count both sides of the key) and had to come from Germany after proof of ownership. There were no electronics involved back then. Well, other than the watch battery and the tiny light bulb in it!

#9 ·
This place can cut keys for you: http://sidewinderkeys.com/

We just had a key cut for our '01 through there. Cheaper than the dealer. We have a buddy who is going to help us match the immobilizer too. No dealer needed! :beer:

#11 ·
The problem is the key is lost in my house. I'm moving out in a month so I figure what better time to get a spare, right? Talked to the dealership, $165 for the key, $53 for programming. Problem is that the car needs to be at the dealership for programming, I am 22 miles away from the dealership. Haven't even begun to call towing companies yet.

I can get a blank with no transponder for $45 from ECS, does anyone know if I get the lower half off of eBay with the buttons can they clear that and program it to my car?

#15 ·
The problem is the key is lost in my house. I'm moving out in a month so I figure what better time to get a spare, right? Talked to the dealership, $165 for the key, $53 for programming. Problem is that the car needs to be at the dealership for programming, I am 22 miles away from the dealership. Haven't even begun to call towing companies yet.

I can get a blank with no transponder for $45 from ECS, does anyone know if I get the lower half off of eBay with the buttons can they clear that and program it to my car?
Cutting is to be different for every dealer. The Audi dealer i work at (I work in Parts), we can't even cut keys, they are cut at the warehouse and sent with the rest of the parts we order.

The electronic fob CAN be programmed/reprogrammed to another car, as long as the part number is correct (i.e. as long as it's the right key.) This is essentially how it works when you order a 2nd or 3rd key. You bring all the other keys in, and they all get reprogrammed sequentially.

That said, keep in mind that if you order a new key, get it cut and programmed, if you ever find the one key you lost, it won't work anymore. It'll still open doors/trunk/glove box, but won't start the car.

#19 ·
Was going to post that.

Overnight parts from... Germany, must be used. I do not have the key pattern to copy from at the dealership, hence the problem I'm in, so I must get my car to the dealership and order a new key, whatever screw it, its only money.
The dealer can probably cut the key from the VIN number but they can't program the key without the car.

#20 ·
As an independent I can program them but i still order the key and upper by vin from my local stealership, the remote/lower portion i buy from a distributor, and program them all together, and as stated if you ever find the old key it will be locked out of the immo, only keys present at time of programming will start the car.

a full set of keys (2 remotes, one flat key) are a 500$ bonus when i look at used VW/Audi

#21 ·
I began reading the key settlement notice, I'm between classes so time limited, if I printed that out and brought it to the dealership do you think they would offer me any discount? Also I talked to the dealership again about bringing in a blank key and they said the only way is to order a new one. I'm an Automotive Aftermarket major at Northwood, so I understand the run around and malarkey that takes place at a dealership. Not a bad thing, I'll eventually be working in a service department somewhere. :p

#33 ·
Anyways, I'm going to get this first one through the dealership, and mess around with a spare to see how difficult any of the other suggestions would be for something else to do, sounds like it could be a little more difficult then the monsoon sub install, not that it was difficult at all to anyone trying to flame me. :beer:

#35 ·
You need to order the key VIN specific for the car. VAGCOM will not work you need the VAS scan tool with an online connection. A dealer will charge .5hr labor time to program keys. Only option here is to go bite the bullet at the dealer.

#41 ·
So you know that because it is a VW it is going to be super hard to do yourself. I tied all kinds of stuff on my 2001 bug (that had a transponder key). I had to call it and just bring it in to the dealer. Everyone on here kind of has the right idea, no one knows how to fix these machines for the most part. This article has a couple ways that you might look in to: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/how-can-you-replace-a-car-key-or-remote

I wish I had something like that when I lost my keys (I had like no info). Hope that any of this helps you out. Totally sucks to spend the money, but maybe you can figure out a cheaper way to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.