Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vibration with new wheels

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT Autobahn
      06-12-2012 10:12 AM #1
      I put on brand new 19s with falken tires and now at speeds above 100 km/h my car is vibrating, not so much the steering wheel but the whole car.

Is it a balance issue?
      A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. ~Jeremy Clarkson

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VR6 4 Motion LBM - 2000 Audi S4 Sponsored
      06-12-2012 10:46 AM #2
      More than likely. I can't remember how fast the balancers these days rotate the tires but I seem to recall it's around 55-65 MPH. Things change when the wheel spins faster than the balancing machine. You might also have a settling period which could throw things out of balance. Could be a bad tire with a broken radial that under pressure is causing the problem or a rim that wasn't true from the factory.

I would look at the wheel weights on each wheel to see if there is one wheel with excessive weights. In my opinion there should only be a couple weights on each wheel, maybe one towards the inside lip and one towards the outside. If you notice one with 5 or more weights my guess is they had to over correct a bad tire or a bad rim and there is only so much you can do for that. If they are new enough you might be able to request a new wheel or tire as a result. If you find one in question you might be able to pull that tire off and see if the wheel has a high spot or if the tire itself is bad.

When I had my new 19's balanced first thing I looked at were the weights to see if any were excessive. To my delight I had no more than two weights on any of the 4 wheels and for me that means true on the tires and wheels before they were mounted.

3. 06-12-2012 09:12 PM #3
      Get a Roadforce Balance and all should be ok after that.

4. Member
      06-12-2012 09:34 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by losterdamus View Post
      Get a Roadforce Balance and all should be ok after that.
      definately a wheel balance issue.

5. 06-13-2012 03:05 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by njm23 View Post
      definately a wheel balance issue.
      I too have a very slight vibration on my 20s at higher speeds.
      | Mark | 2011 CC R-Line DSG |

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT Autobahn
      06-13-2012 08:52 AM #6
      I got a re-balance yesterday by the same shop, seems ok now but will have to drive it a bit more to make sure.

Thanks guys.
      A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. ~Jeremy Clarkson

Vehicles
      Current: 13/R SOLD: 12/CC, 10/GTI
      06-13-2012 12:19 PM #7
      I had same issue, and got a road force balance today, and car is perfect.. Road Force is the way to go!!! you can go to there site and look for the closet dealer with the machine..
      13 R stage 1
      Philthy PA
      EUROFINE

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC
      06-13-2012 04:15 PM #8
      Do you have the correct centerbore on the wheels? I was "centerbore ignorant" when I had the wheels on my B6 Passat, and it rode like $hit. They also gave me the wrong lugs. Anyway, hopefully just a re-balance.
      Last edited by blaah; 06-13-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Vehicles
      Current: 13/R SOLD: 12/CC, 10/GTI
      06-14-2012 07:52 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by blaah View Post
      Do you have the correct centerbore on the wheels? I was "centerbore ignorant" when I had the wheels on my B6 Passat, and it rode like $hit. They also gave me the wrong lugs. Anyway, hopefully just a re-balance.
      Very True!! If your running aftermarket wheels or anything other than your stock, def make sure your center bore is correct other wise you need some hub-centric rings..
      13 R stage 1
      Philthy PA
      EUROFINE