Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Initial acceleration lag - drive by wire

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      06-13-2012 02:16 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by jpipdw View Post
      Nice....I typically find myself driving in S mode on the automatic....but then when I see the rpm's hovering around 3-4k, I tend to shift back into D.

I'm curious to see how the Tig drives once the Sprint Booster is installed....oh....did I mention that I ordered one?

Anyways, I drive with a heavy foot, so I'm really looking forward to this improvement.....I like the idea of having a switch as she might not like the aggressive mode as much as I do....
      lol! Where did you order yours from? How much? I found a Canadian dealer selling for like $292 USD w/ free shipping.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion, 2013 GTI shadow blue
      06-13-2012 02:20 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      lol! Where did you order yours from? How much? I found a Canadian dealer selling for like $292 USD w/ free shipping.
      $329 plus free shipping.....I looked around and would rather just buy right from the source than try to find the correct part at another dealer. These guys are the ones that confirmed it was the right part # for our Tig.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      06-13-2012 02:23 PM #38
      lol! Sorry friend! I'm suspicious of everything till I see data/proof to back it up.
      Nothing wrong with that. I wish everyone would be suspicious and less gullible. For one, we would certainly get less spam. ;-)

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:36 PM #39
      $329 plus free shipping.....I looked around and would rather just buy right from the source than try to find the correct part at another dealer. These guys are the ones that confirmed it was the right part # for our Tig.

Cool, Thanks! Let me know how you it like once you get it installed, it should be great!

Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      Nothing wrong with that. I wish everyone would be suspicious and less gullible. For one, we would certainly get less spam. ;-)
      lol! very true!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:53 PM #40

It should tell you this in you instructions for the sprint booster, that you can't switch modes while the accelerator is depressed. Not sure what it'll do if it even does anything at all. I've switched modes while the car is moving and not pressing on the accelerator, which is OK to do, I've never had issues doing that. Just wanted to emphasize that. I think I'll order mine tonight, just got to find a place that accepts paypal, b/c all my other cards are maxed out. lol.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:56 PM #41
      I'm getting antsy now.......wonder how long free shipping will take!

Got an email update:

SPR2179A****SPRINT BOOSTER VW TIGUAN 2008 - AUTO TRANS
      **Out of stock but ships in 1 to 2 weeks.

Dang!
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:06 PM #42
      I'm getting antsy now.......wonder how long free shipping will take!

Got an email update:

SPR2179A****SPRINT BOOSTER VW TIGUAN 2008 - AUTO TRANS
      **Out of stock but ships in 1 to 2 weeks.

Dang!
      aww man! That sux. So if theyre out, chances are that everyone else could be out as well, if they dont keep them in stock, which a lot of place probably dont do.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:13 PM #43
      For now I'll just hammer on the Tig, maybe perform the reset that was mentioned on this thread and see how she acts......

Curious to know if installing the booster will have an effect on the adaptation/learning process....I can't see it hurting as the car's going to think we like to hammer on her due to the increased rev's hehe
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:39 PM #44
      For now I'll just hammer on the Tig, maybe perform the reset that was mentioned on this thread and see how she acts......

Curious to know if installing the booster will have an effect on the adaptation/learning process....I can't see it hurting as the car's going to think we like to hammer on her due to the increased rev's hehe
      It possibly might affect it. I know when I was training my trans, i was giving it more gas so that it will stay in the gears longers, so i guess in a way it could help it in that way, you just dont have to push the gas pedal further down physically with the sprint booster installed?! just a guess...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 05:07 PM #45
      Just got this email after asking them when I should expect it:

Joe,
      Sorry for confusion. Yes this unit fits models from 2008 to current (2012). And just as important will be shipped today!

Don Racine
      Mini Mania Inc.
      870 Gold Flat Rd., Ste A
      Nevada City, CA 95959
      800 946-2642
      530 470-8300
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 05:11 PM #46
      lol! surprise! lol!

EDIT: I couldn't resist anymore, I ordered mine too! lol!
      Last edited by TypeRod; 06-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-13-2012 06:43 PM #47
      It possibly might affect it. I know when I was training my trans, i was giving it more gas so that it will stay in the gears longers, so i guess in a way it could help it in that way, you just dont have to push the gas pedal further down physically with the sprint booster installed?! just a guess...
      In a nut shell: when you press your pedal lets say 20% Sprint booster tells your ECU it is pressed at 40%, etc... Basically same results can be achieved without it by just pressing your pedal further.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 07:54 PM #48
      please keep me update on how you removed the cover to get to the module, i just took a peek when i got home from work this evening, i really dont feel like having a difficult install due to this stupid plastic! lol! My Tahoe's module was just completely exposed, so it was so easy to install. I have a feeling im going to get frustrated and end up not taking my time and I just rip out the plastic and damage something! lol! so please give me some pointers once you get yours installed! much appreciated!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 07:55 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      In a nut shell: when you press your pedal lets say 20% Sprint booster tells your ECU it is pressed at 40%, etc... Basically same results can be achieved without it by just pressing your pedal further.
      EXACTLY! didn't i say that?!? LOL! Thanks for the cliff notes, I tend to be winded when I explain things, it makes me feel smarter!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 08:02 PM #50
      please keep me update on how you removed the cover to get to the module, i just took a peek when i got home from work this evening, i really dont feel like having a difficult install due to this stupid plastic! lol! My Tahoe's module was just completely exposed, so it was so easy to install. I have a feeling im going to get frustrated and end up not taking my time and I just rip out the plastic and damage something! lol! so please give me some pointers once you get yours installed! much appreciated!
      Lol you ordered one too ha ha......I got pretty excited when someone told me this gets rid of the throttle lag......

I will keep you posted and try to take some pics too....hopefully it's not going to be difficult, I don't want to damage the plastic either considering its a lease.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 09:23 PM #51
      So I just took a look by the pedals as well.....there appears to be a small clip on the left side of the accelerator pedal that looks like it can be unsnapped with a small flat head screwdriver, maybe exposing a screw? From the other videos on the sprint booster website, for their vw installations they just undo a clip and a screw.

Doesn't seem too hard, plenty of room to work down there unlike my old 2009 Si and our RSX.....
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 FL Tiguan 2.0TSI
      06-14-2012 12:21 AM #52

Gary, for your 2012 Tiguan are you using sprint booster part# SBVW1002S? This part is for automatics. I'm having trouble getting cofirmation if this part will work with 2012 Tiguans. ECS tuning is telling me its only for 2009-2011 (Tiguan 1), and there are other sites saying it will work with 2009-UP. Where did you buy yours from and how much did it cost? Also, did you have the trans update done? If so, does the sprint booster help any with transmission shifting?

Thanks!
      Sorry for the late reply,has been busy with works....to answer your question, yes im using the SBVW1002S...as long our tig is using EA888 2.0tsi engine,regardless of DSG or auto tranny it'll work just fine (in fact i've been informed that we can even use SB for GTI MK6 for our tig)
      I bought mine from a local dealer(Malaysia) for AUD360 with installation....but its a simple plug n play,no splicing or cutting as im sure we can DIY anytime before n after bringing in to service centre...
      As mine is 7speed dsg (DQ500) no update is required or available...
      2012 CW Tiguan 155kw 7spd DSG | Keyless Entry with Push start | DCC/ACC | RNS510 | Osir Front lip | custom Golf R exhaust with Remus tips | Caractere Rear Spoiler | Maniac CF p-shifter extension | Sports pedals | 19" Breyton GTS AV w 245 45 Toyo C1S | S3 intercooler | K&N drop-in filter | Eibach prokit springs | Whiteline rear 24mm ARB | ABT Front Grill | ABT stage 1 | Cosworth 4pot BBK | Red coil-packs with Iridium S-plugs |

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 FL Tiguan 2.0TSI
      06-14-2012 12:25 AM #53
      Gary - I was looking at the installation doc for the sprint booster for a Passat (I didn't see one for Tig)

Did you have to trim the cosmetic shield after you installed it in order to put the shield back on?
      No splicing or trimming is required as its just a small plug n play device (50cmx30cm) that can b hidden n in fact sit nicely on d back of our pedals...2min installation job...easy!!
      2012 CW Tiguan 155kw 7spd DSG | Keyless Entry with Push start | DCC/ACC | RNS510 | Osir Front lip | custom Golf R exhaust with Remus tips | Caractere Rear Spoiler | Maniac CF p-shifter extension | Sports pedals | 19" Breyton GTS AV w 245 45 Toyo C1S | S3 intercooler | K&N drop-in filter | Eibach prokit springs | Whiteline rear 24mm ARB | ABT Front Grill | ABT stage 1 | Cosworth 4pot BBK | Red coil-packs with Iridium S-plugs |

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 05:45 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by garypcs View Post
      Sorry for the late reply,has been busy with works....to answer your question, yes im using the SBVW1002S...as long our tig is using EA888 2.0tsi engine,regardless of DSG or auto tranny it'll work just fine (in fact i've been informed that we can even use SB for GTI MK6 for our tig)
      I bought mine from a local dealer(Malaysia) for AUD360 with installation....but its a simple plug n play,no splicing or cutting as im sure we can DIY anytime before n after bringing in to service centre...
      As mine is 7speed dsg (DQ500) no update is required or available...
      no problem at all, thanks for the confirmation!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 07:16 AM #55
      So I just took a look by the pedals as well.....there appears to be a small clip on the left side of the accelerator pedal that looks like it can be unsnapped with a small flat head screwdriver, maybe exposing a screw? From the other videos on the sprint booster website, for their vw installations they just undo a clip and a screw.

Doesn't seem too hard, plenty of room to work down there unlike my old 2009 Si and our RSX.....
      Which sprintbooster website did you see the videos? Theres about 3 o4 different ones. lol

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 09:58 AM #56
      Which sprintbooster website did you see the videos? Theres about 3 o4 different ones. lol
      ha i don't remember.....heading to the dealer now to get my wheel fixed, there was a gash on the wheel when we took delivery....
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 10:22 AM #57
      ha i don't remember.....heading to the dealer now to get my wheel fixed, there was a gash on the wheel when we took delivery....
      no problem. dude ask to keep the damaged wheel and use it as full size spare, not sure if it will fit in the spare tire well though....lol

23. 06-14-2012 10:34 AM #58
      OP: all model years' Tiguan have the lag issue. I fixed mine (MY2010) with APR Stage I. On 91 program my car act like a GTI but now I only drive it on stock program since it fixed the lag issue also save gas for me. Be aware VW dealer can detect APR chipping even it's in stock+locked mode.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:02 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalite View Post
      OP: all model years' Tiguan have the lag issue. I fixed mine (MY2010) with APR Stage I. On 91 program my car act like a GTI but now I only drive it on stock program since it fixed the lag issue also save gas for me. Be aware VW dealer can detect APR chipping even it's in stock+locked mode.
      Don't worry, not getting it tuned unless we decide to keep after 39 months, but by that time I'll be in a new CC anyways

Wife wants a Jetta or Passat.....

no problem. dude ask to keep the damaged wheel and use it as full size spare, not sure if it will fit in the spare tire well though....lol
      There is a local company here that comes to various dealers, he has a mobile setup, and he just unounts the tire, smooths out the wheel, and puts it back on. They are not replacing the wheel, it wasn't a big enough gash.....I initially walked in and showed them the wheel so I wouldn't be responsible for the damages at the end of the lease. It was then that they offered to "fix" it.

I tend to be picky when it comes to this kind of stuff, but a brand new car that we just took delivery of? I was appreciate to hear them offer me a fix.

Here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japipit...57629970750544
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:45 AM #60
      Don't worry, not getting it tuned unless we decide to keep after 39 months, but by that time I'll be in a new CC anyways

Wife wants a Jetta or Passat.....

There is a local company here that comes to various dealers, he has a mobile setup, and he just unounts the tire, smooths out the wheel, and puts it back on. They are not replacing the wheel, it wasn't a big enough gash.....I initially walked in and showed them the wheel so I wouldn't be responsible for the damages at the end of the lease. It was then that they offered to "fix" it.

I tend to be picky when it comes to this kind of stuff, but a brand new car that we just took delivery of? I was appreciate to hear them offer me a fix.

Here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japipit...57629970750544
      ahh I see....said the blind man. lol. We're alike, I am extremely picky as well.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 12:00 PM #61
      Looks like I'll have the sprint booster tomorrow. Just got a shipping update!
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

27. 06-14-2012 02:38 PM #62
      Looks like I'll have the sprint booster tomorrow. Just got a shipping update!
      Looking forward to your thoughts on how it performs. If they're positive I'll probably order one myself.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-14-2012 04:28 PM #63
      I need to get me a Vag cable and test some things out. I know in Audi you can play around with few things to make the gas pedal respond better. If that is true on VW's it'll be great.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

29. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 07:08 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      I need to get me a Vag cable and test some things out. I know in Audi you can play around with few things to make the gas pedal respond better. If that is true on VW's it'll be great.
      I also have a cable on the way. I didn't know you could tweak the pedal settings from there, I thought it was only for convenience and if you want to tweak things like gas pedal, you needed a tune?
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

30. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 01:30 PM #65
      Just got the Sprint Booster......hard to believe they are charging so much for a little piece of plastic. I bet this thing cost a few bucks to make.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

31. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 03:15 PM #66
      OK....I installed the thing, it was a pain getting the harness out of the accelerator position - there's a little red clip that you have to pull, and then it's really hard to explain after that. I called tech support and they tried to help me, eventually I just pulled the right way, sort of from the wires but not really, and it came out. You have to squeeze the red clip towards you and it will pull out.

Took a few test drives...overall I have not noticed a difference, the throttle lag is still there.

Basically I feel like the sprint booster just makes it so you don't have to push the gas pedal down as much to the floor......I've seen some demos here and there of the actual throttle response in graphical form, however I am not really that impressed.

I feel like I can achieve the same results by just pressing the pedal down more - it also seems dead after pressing the pedal down a certain amount.

I'm going to drive around with it this weekend and make a decision.

Also - I have a CEL light now, and I want it cleared out.

UPDATE: Just called tech support and they told me the light should clear itself after about 30 miles or so. Anyone know if that's true?
      Last edited by jpipdw; 06-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

32. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 06:42 PM #67
      OK....I installed the thing, it was a pain getting the harness out of the accelerator position - there's a little red clip that you have to pull, and then it's really hard to explain after that. I called tech support and they tried to help me, eventually I just pulled the right way, sort of from the wires but not really, and it came out. You have to squeeze the red clip towards you and it will pull out.

Took a few test drives...overall I have not noticed a difference, the throttle lag is still there.

Basically I feel like the sprint booster just makes it so you don't have to push the gas pedal down as much to the floor......I've seen some demos here and there of the actual throttle response in graphical form, however I am not really that impressed.

I feel like I can achieve the same results by just pressing the pedal down more - it also seems dead after pressing the pedal down a certain amount.

I'm going to drive around with it this weekend and make a decision.

Also - I have a CEL light now, and I want it cleared out.

UPDATE: Just called tech support and they told me the light should clear itself after about 30 miles or so. Anyone know if that's true?
      Sorry to hear youre not really impressed with it. I think there is a 30 day money back guarantee. Did tech line say why there is a CEL light?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 06:50 PM #68
      Sorry to hear youre not really impressed with it. I think there is a 30 day money back guarantee. Did tech line say why there is a CEL light?
      CEL eventually turned off.

If this thing actually did as it advertised and eliminated throttle lag, I'd be happy. After driving it a while now, it just makes the pedal travel less, so you don't have to step on the gas as hard.

IMO, it's just a gimmick and doesn't fix throttle lag. Sending it back Monday for a refund, I just can't justify $330 for something I can do with my own foot. I'd rather save up another $150 and get a tune.

The throttle acts much better if I put the car in S mode or tiptronic, I can deal with that.
      Last edited by jpipdw; 06-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

34. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:41 AM #69
      CEL eventually turned off.

If this thing actually did as it advertised and eliminated throttle lag, I'd be happy. After driving it a while now, it just makes the pedal travel less, so you don't have to step on the gas as hard.

IMO, it's just a gimmick and doesn't fix throttle lag. Sending it back Monday for a refund, I just can't justify $330 for something I can do with my own foot. I'd rather save up another $150 and get a tune.

The throttle acts much better if I put the car in S mode or tiptronic, I can deal with that.
      Sorry to hear that. Even with it in "stage 2" (red mode) it doesn't improve at all?

35. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:46 AM #70
      Sorry to hear that. Even with it in "stage 2" (red mode) it doesn't improve at all?
      Sadly, no. The car is much more enjoyable stock, in S or tiptronic mode. You can tell that D's shifting has been programmed to conserve gas, which is fine. I just wish that in S mode, it would shift from 3rd gear into 4th without hanging the rpm's around 3k or so.

What I normally do is start with S mode active, and then once I get into 3rd or 4th gear, I shift into D. Or use tiptronic full time so I'm in control over when the car shifts. I also noticed that tiptronic automatically shifts gears for you, rather than just perform a fuel cutoff similar to a manual transmission.

Next car, I'm definitely getting the DSG transmission, I drove the CC the other day, and WOW what a difference. I still love the Tiguan, but the transmission is something that I'm going to complain about on the VWofA website.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast