Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial acceleration lag - drive by wire

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      06-13-2012 01:00 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by jpipdw View Post
      Awesome - where do you actually put the settings switch? On the floor?

And as far as the cosmetic shield - I don't want to cut it since it's a lease, but I am intrigued now.....

Are you able to take a pic of your setup?
      I don't have one in my 2012 Tiguan YET. I'm waiting for Gary to confirm for me that he's using the same part# I found. There is some discrepancy for model years for part#SBVW1002S. I've found sites saying that part will work for 2009-UP, ECS tuning says its only for 2009-2011. But if Gary says he's using SBVW1002S, then I'm ordering ASAP. lol.

I havent gotten down under the dash at all for my tiguan yet, so Im not sure if there is a shield or not, but a work around could be to take out the shield completely,while you have the sprint booster in use, since I think you can put it back easily and securely whenever you bring it in to the dealer for service or what have you.

Forgot to answer your first question, you have about 4 ft of cable from the connector at the sprint booster module to the switch (push button). You could just run the cable to where the push button switch can be easily reached by your fingers. Not sure how I will run it in my Tiguan, but in my Tahoe, I have it running under the dash, up the left side of the dase, with the cable kind of wedged between the A pillar and dash board, and the switch just sits on top of the dash, I dont have it mounted permanently.
      Last edited by TypeRod; 06-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion, 2013 GTI shadow blue
      06-13-2012 01:11 PM #27
      I just talked to Sprint Booster support - according to them, for the US model 2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion Automatic transmission, the part # is SPR2179A
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      06-13-2012 01:23 PM #28
      Anyone know a way to reset/recycle the ecu learning process? Disconnect and reconnect the battery?
      Turn ignition on without turning the engine on.
      Press the accelerator pedal all the way to the bottom and hold for 10 seconds (not sure of the actual time required).
      Release the pedal.
      Turn ignition off.

That should do it.

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that it takes about a week for it to "learn".
      Last edited by artronics; 06-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 01:26 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      Press the accelerator pedal all the way to the bottom and hold for 10 seconds (not sure of the actual time required).
      Release the pedal.
      Turn ignition off.

That should do it.
      I might give this a shot, Im just surprised no one can really confirm this works! Ive seen the video on you tube, but that guy could be just posting the vid to be funny. lol.

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 01:37 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      I might give this a shot, Im just surprised no one can really confirm this works! Ive seen the video on you tube, but that guy could be just posting the vid to be funny. lol.
      Well, I did try it on my Tig and it seemed to be "lazier" after the procedure. But I was expecting it so I may have been biased...
      Now you got me thinking...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 01:46 PM #31
      Well, I did try it on my Tig and it seemed to be "lazier" after the procedure. But I was expecting it so I may have been biased...
      Now you got me thinking...
      lol! Sorry friend! I'm suspicious of everything till I see data/proof to back it up.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-13-2012 01:49 PM #32
      Release the pedal.
      Turn ignition off.

That should do it.

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that it takes about a week for it to "learn".
      And don't forget to open your ash tray 3 times and knock on the dash 2 times. I don't think there is a way (at least for us mortals) to reset an ECU + it will just prolong the learning process.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 01:53 PM #33
      What MPG are you guys averaging with the sprint booster installed?

Wife has been getting around 21 city and almost 32 highway, I get around 18 city and 27 highway

I could really care less how much gas I have to pump in the car, I don't let stuff like that bother me, I'd rather have performance improvements.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:04 PM #34
      What MPG are you guys averaging with the sprint booster installed?

Wife has been getting around 21 city and almost 32 highway, I get around 18 city and 27 highway

I could really care less how much gas I have to pump in the car, I don't let stuff like that bother me, I'd rather have performance improvements.
      With it installed in my Tahoe, I didnt see an increase or decrease. Probably wont affect MPG in the Tiguan either. You'll lose MPG's b/c you'll want to test each setting to its MAX. Driving in the sport and aggressive setting could take some time to get used to for some people. But in general if you drive it like you ususally do in either setting you shouldn't see a decrease/increase in MPG's IMO.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:11 PM #35
      With it installed in my Tahoe, I didnt see an increase or decrease. Probably wont affect MPG in the Tiguan either. You'll lose MPG's b/c you'll want to test each setting to its MAX. Driving in the sport and aggressive setting could take some time to get used to for some people. But in general if you drive it like you ususally do in either setting you shouldn't see a decrease/increase in MPG's IMO.
      Nice....I typically find myself driving in S mode on the automatic....but then when I see the rpm's hovering around 3-4k, I tend to shift back into D.

I'm curious to see how the Tig drives once the Sprint Booster is installed....oh....did I mention that I ordered one?

Anyways, I drive with a heavy foot, so I'm really looking forward to this improvement.....I like the idea of having a switch as she might not like the aggressive mode as much as I do....
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:16 PM #36
      Nice....I typically find myself driving in S mode on the automatic....but then when I see the rpm's hovering around 3-4k, I tend to shift back into D.

I'm curious to see how the Tig drives once the Sprint Booster is installed....oh....did I mention that I ordered one?

Anyways, I drive with a heavy foot, so I'm really looking forward to this improvement.....I like the idea of having a switch as she might not like the aggressive mode as much as I do....
      lol! Where did you order yours from? How much? I found a Canadian dealer selling for like $292 USD w/ free shipping.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:20 PM #37
      lol! Where did you order yours from? How much? I found a Canadian dealer selling for like $292 USD w/ free shipping.
      $329 plus free shipping.....I looked around and would rather just buy right from the source than try to find the correct part at another dealer. These guys are the ones that confirmed it was the right part # for our Tig.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:23 PM #38
      lol! Sorry friend! I'm suspicious of everything till I see data/proof to back it up.
      Nothing wrong with that. I wish everyone would be suspicious and less gullible. For one, we would certainly get less spam. ;-)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:36 PM #39
      $329 plus free shipping.....I looked around and would rather just buy right from the source than try to find the correct part at another dealer. These guys are the ones that confirmed it was the right part # for our Tig.

Cool, Thanks! Let me know how you it like once you get it installed, it should be great!

Nothing wrong with that. I wish everyone would be suspicious and less gullible. For one, we would certainly get less spam. ;-)
      lol! very true!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:53 PM #40

It should tell you this in you instructions for the sprint booster, that you can't switch modes while the accelerator is depressed. Not sure what it'll do if it even does anything at all. I've switched modes while the car is moving and not pressing on the accelerator, which is OK to do, I've never had issues doing that. Just wanted to emphasize that. I think I'll order mine tonight, just got to find a place that accepts paypal, b/c all my other cards are maxed out. lol.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 03:56 PM #41
      I'm getting antsy now.......wonder how long free shipping will take!

Got an email update:

SPR2179A****SPRINT BOOSTER VW TIGUAN 2008 - AUTO TRANS
      **Out of stock but ships in 1 to 2 weeks.

Dang!
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:06 PM #42
      I'm getting antsy now.......wonder how long free shipping will take!

Got an email update:

SPR2179A****SPRINT BOOSTER VW TIGUAN 2008 - AUTO TRANS
      **Out of stock but ships in 1 to 2 weeks.

Dang!
      aww man! That sux. So if theyre out, chances are that everyone else could be out as well, if they dont keep them in stock, which a lot of place probably dont do.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:13 PM #43
      For now I'll just hammer on the Tig, maybe perform the reset that was mentioned on this thread and see how she acts......

Curious to know if installing the booster will have an effect on the adaptation/learning process....I can't see it hurting as the car's going to think we like to hammer on her due to the increased rev's hehe
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:39 PM #44
      For now I'll just hammer on the Tig, maybe perform the reset that was mentioned on this thread and see how she acts......

Curious to know if installing the booster will have an effect on the adaptation/learning process....I can't see it hurting as the car's going to think we like to hammer on her due to the increased rev's hehe
      It possibly might affect it. I know when I was training my trans, i was giving it more gas so that it will stay in the gears longers, so i guess in a way it could help it in that way, you just dont have to push the gas pedal further down physically with the sprint booster installed?! just a guess...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 05:07 PM #45
      Just got this email after asking them when I should expect it:

Joe,
      Sorry for confusion. Yes this unit fits models from 2008 to current (2012). And just as important will be shipped today!

Don Racine
      Mini Mania Inc.
      870 Gold Flat Rd., Ste A
      Nevada City, CA 95959
      800 946-2642
      530 470-8300
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 05:11 PM #46
      lol! surprise! lol!

EDIT: I couldn't resist anymore, I ordered mine too! lol!
      Last edited by TypeRod; 06-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-13-2012 06:43 PM #47
      It possibly might affect it. I know when I was training my trans, i was giving it more gas so that it will stay in the gears longers, so i guess in a way it could help it in that way, you just dont have to push the gas pedal further down physically with the sprint booster installed?! just a guess...
      In a nut shell: when you press your pedal lets say 20% Sprint booster tells your ECU it is pressed at 40%, etc... Basically same results can be achieved without it by just pressing your pedal further.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 07:54 PM #48
      please keep me update on how you removed the cover to get to the module, i just took a peek when i got home from work this evening, i really dont feel like having a difficult install due to this stupid plastic! lol! My Tahoe's module was just completely exposed, so it was so easy to install. I have a feeling im going to get frustrated and end up not taking my time and I just rip out the plastic and damage something! lol! so please give me some pointers once you get yours installed! much appreciated!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 07:55 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      In a nut shell: when you press your pedal lets say 20% Sprint booster tells your ECU it is pressed at 40%, etc... Basically same results can be achieved without it by just pressing your pedal further.
      EXACTLY! didn't i say that?!? LOL! Thanks for the cliff notes, I tend to be winded when I explain things, it makes me feel smarter!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 08:02 PM #50
      please keep me update on how you removed the cover to get to the module, i just took a peek when i got home from work this evening, i really dont feel like having a difficult install due to this stupid plastic! lol! My Tahoe's module was just completely exposed, so it was so easy to install. I have a feeling im going to get frustrated and end up not taking my time and I just rip out the plastic and damage something! lol! so please give me some pointers once you get yours installed! much appreciated!
      Lol you ordered one too ha ha......I got pretty excited when someone told me this gets rid of the throttle lag......

I will keep you posted and try to take some pics too....hopefully it's not going to be difficult, I don't want to damage the plastic either considering its a lease.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast