Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial acceleration lag - drive by wire

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion, 2013 GTI shadow blue
      06-13-2012 09:23 PM #51
      So I just took a look by the pedals as well.....there appears to be a small clip on the left side of the accelerator pedal that looks like it can be unsnapped with a small flat head screwdriver, maybe exposing a screw? From the other videos on the sprint booster website, for their vw installations they just undo a clip and a screw.

Doesn't seem too hard, plenty of room to work down there unlike my old 2009 Si and our RSX.....
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 FL Tiguan 2.0TSI
      06-14-2012 12:21 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post

Gary, for your 2012 Tiguan are you using sprint booster part# SBVW1002S? This part is for automatics. I'm having trouble getting cofirmation if this part will work with 2012 Tiguans. ECS tuning is telling me its only for 2009-2011 (Tiguan 1), and there are other sites saying it will work with 2009-UP. Where did you buy yours from and how much did it cost? Also, did you have the trans update done? If so, does the sprint booster help any with transmission shifting?

Thanks!
      Sorry for the late reply,has been busy with works....to answer your question, yes im using the SBVW1002S...as long our tig is using EA888 2.0tsi engine,regardless of DSG or auto tranny it'll work just fine (in fact i've been informed that we can even use SB for GTI MK6 for our tig)
      I bought mine from a local dealer(Malaysia) for AUD360 with installation....but its a simple plug n play,no splicing or cutting as im sure we can DIY anytime before n after bringing in to service centre...
      As mine is 7speed dsg (DQ500) no update is required or available...
      2012 CW Tiguan 155kw 7spd DSG | Keyless Entry with Push start | DCC/ACC | RNS510 | Osir Front lip | custom Golf R exhaust with Remus tips | Caractere Rear Spoiler | Maniac CF p-shifter extension | Sports pedals | 19" Breyton GTS AV w 245 45 Toyo C1S | S3 intercooler | K&N drop-in filter | Eibach prokit springs | Whiteline rear 24mm ARB | ABT Front Grill | ABT stage 1 | Cosworth 4pot BBK | Red coil-packs with Iridium S-plugs |

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 FL Tiguan 2.0TSI
      06-14-2012 12:25 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by jpipdw View Post
      Gary - I was looking at the installation doc for the sprint booster for a Passat (I didn't see one for Tig)

Did you have to trim the cosmetic shield after you installed it in order to put the shield back on?
      No splicing or trimming is required as its just a small plug n play device (50cmx30cm) that can b hidden n in fact sit nicely on d back of our pedals...2min installation job...easy!!
      2012 CW Tiguan 155kw 7spd DSG | Keyless Entry with Push start | DCC/ACC | RNS510 | Osir Front lip | custom Golf R exhaust with Remus tips | Caractere Rear Spoiler | Maniac CF p-shifter extension | Sports pedals | 19" Breyton GTS AV w 245 45 Toyo C1S | S3 intercooler | K&N drop-in filter | Eibach prokit springs | Whiteline rear 24mm ARB | ABT Front Grill | ABT stage 1 | Cosworth 4pot BBK | Red coil-packs with Iridium S-plugs |

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      06-14-2012 05:45 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by garypcs View Post
      Sorry for the late reply,has been busy with works....to answer your question, yes im using the SBVW1002S...as long our tig is using EA888 2.0tsi engine,regardless of DSG or auto tranny it'll work just fine (in fact i've been informed that we can even use SB for GTI MK6 for our tig)
      I bought mine from a local dealer(Malaysia) for AUD360 with installation....but its a simple plug n play,no splicing or cutting as im sure we can DIY anytime before n after bringing in to service centre...
      As mine is 7speed dsg (DQ500) no update is required or available...
      no problem at all, thanks for the confirmation!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 07:16 AM #55
      So I just took a look by the pedals as well.....there appears to be a small clip on the left side of the accelerator pedal that looks like it can be unsnapped with a small flat head screwdriver, maybe exposing a screw? From the other videos on the sprint booster website, for their vw installations they just undo a clip and a screw.

Doesn't seem too hard, plenty of room to work down there unlike my old 2009 Si and our RSX.....
      Which sprintbooster website did you see the videos? Theres about 3 o4 different ones. lol

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 09:58 AM #56
      Which sprintbooster website did you see the videos? Theres about 3 o4 different ones. lol
      ha i don't remember.....heading to the dealer now to get my wheel fixed, there was a gash on the wheel when we took delivery....
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 10:22 AM #57
      ha i don't remember.....heading to the dealer now to get my wheel fixed, there was a gash on the wheel when we took delivery....
      no problem. dude ask to keep the damaged wheel and use it as full size spare, not sure if it will fit in the spare tire well though....lol

8. 06-14-2012 10:34 AM #58
      OP: all model years' Tiguan have the lag issue. I fixed mine (MY2010) with APR Stage I. On 91 program my car act like a GTI but now I only drive it on stock program since it fixed the lag issue also save gas for me. Be aware VW dealer can detect APR chipping even it's in stock+locked mode.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:02 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalite View Post
      OP: all model years' Tiguan have the lag issue. I fixed mine (MY2010) with APR Stage I. On 91 program my car act like a GTI but now I only drive it on stock program since it fixed the lag issue also save gas for me. Be aware VW dealer can detect APR chipping even it's in stock+locked mode.
      Don't worry, not getting it tuned unless we decide to keep after 39 months, but by that time I'll be in a new CC anyways

Wife wants a Jetta or Passat.....

no problem. dude ask to keep the damaged wheel and use it as full size spare, not sure if it will fit in the spare tire well though....lol
      There is a local company here that comes to various dealers, he has a mobile setup, and he just unounts the tire, smooths out the wheel, and puts it back on. They are not replacing the wheel, it wasn't a big enough gash.....I initially walked in and showed them the wheel so I wouldn't be responsible for the damages at the end of the lease. It was then that they offered to "fix" it.

I tend to be picky when it comes to this kind of stuff, but a brand new car that we just took delivery of? I was appreciate to hear them offer me a fix.

Here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japipit...57629970750544
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:45 AM #60
      Don't worry, not getting it tuned unless we decide to keep after 39 months, but by that time I'll be in a new CC anyways

Wife wants a Jetta or Passat.....

There is a local company here that comes to various dealers, he has a mobile setup, and he just unounts the tire, smooths out the wheel, and puts it back on. They are not replacing the wheel, it wasn't a big enough gash.....I initially walked in and showed them the wheel so I wouldn't be responsible for the damages at the end of the lease. It was then that they offered to "fix" it.

I tend to be picky when it comes to this kind of stuff, but a brand new car that we just took delivery of? I was appreciate to hear them offer me a fix.

Here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japipit...57629970750544
      ahh I see....said the blind man. lol. We're alike, I am extremely picky as well.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 12:00 PM #61
      Looks like I'll have the sprint booster tomorrow. Just got a shipping update!
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

12. 06-14-2012 02:38 PM #62
      Looks like I'll have the sprint booster tomorrow. Just got a shipping update!
      Looking forward to your thoughts on how it performs. If they're positive I'll probably order one myself.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-14-2012 04:28 PM #63
      I need to get me a Vag cable and test some things out. I know in Audi you can play around with few things to make the gas pedal respond better. If that is true on VW's it'll be great.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 07:08 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      I need to get me a Vag cable and test some things out. I know in Audi you can play around with few things to make the gas pedal respond better. If that is true on VW's it'll be great.
      I also have a cable on the way. I didn't know you could tweak the pedal settings from there, I thought it was only for convenience and if you want to tweak things like gas pedal, you needed a tune?
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 01:30 PM #65
      Just got the Sprint Booster......hard to believe they are charging so much for a little piece of plastic. I bet this thing cost a few bucks to make.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 03:15 PM #66
      OK....I installed the thing, it was a pain getting the harness out of the accelerator position - there's a little red clip that you have to pull, and then it's really hard to explain after that. I called tech support and they tried to help me, eventually I just pulled the right way, sort of from the wires but not really, and it came out. You have to squeeze the red clip towards you and it will pull out.

Took a few test drives...overall I have not noticed a difference, the throttle lag is still there.

Basically I feel like the sprint booster just makes it so you don't have to push the gas pedal down as much to the floor......I've seen some demos here and there of the actual throttle response in graphical form, however I am not really that impressed.

I feel like I can achieve the same results by just pressing the pedal down more - it also seems dead after pressing the pedal down a certain amount.

I'm going to drive around with it this weekend and make a decision.

Also - I have a CEL light now, and I want it cleared out.

UPDATE: Just called tech support and they told me the light should clear itself after about 30 miles or so. Anyone know if that's true?
      Last edited by jpipdw; 06-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 06:42 PM #67
      OK....I installed the thing, it was a pain getting the harness out of the accelerator position - there's a little red clip that you have to pull, and then it's really hard to explain after that. I called tech support and they tried to help me, eventually I just pulled the right way, sort of from the wires but not really, and it came out. You have to squeeze the red clip towards you and it will pull out.

Took a few test drives...overall I have not noticed a difference, the throttle lag is still there.

Basically I feel like the sprint booster just makes it so you don't have to push the gas pedal down as much to the floor......I've seen some demos here and there of the actual throttle response in graphical form, however I am not really that impressed.

I feel like I can achieve the same results by just pressing the pedal down more - it also seems dead after pressing the pedal down a certain amount.

I'm going to drive around with it this weekend and make a decision.

Also - I have a CEL light now, and I want it cleared out.

UPDATE: Just called tech support and they told me the light should clear itself after about 30 miles or so. Anyone know if that's true?
      Sorry to hear youre not really impressed with it. I think there is a 30 day money back guarantee. Did tech line say why there is a CEL light?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 06:50 PM #68
      Sorry to hear youre not really impressed with it. I think there is a 30 day money back guarantee. Did tech line say why there is a CEL light?
      CEL eventually turned off.

If this thing actually did as it advertised and eliminated throttle lag, I'd be happy. After driving it a while now, it just makes the pedal travel less, so you don't have to step on the gas as hard.

IMO, it's just a gimmick and doesn't fix throttle lag. Sending it back Monday for a refund, I just can't justify $330 for something I can do with my own foot. I'd rather save up another $150 and get a tune.

The throttle acts much better if I put the car in S mode or tiptronic, I can deal with that.
      Last edited by jpipdw; 06-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:41 AM #69
      CEL eventually turned off.

If this thing actually did as it advertised and eliminated throttle lag, I'd be happy. After driving it a while now, it just makes the pedal travel less, so you don't have to step on the gas as hard.

IMO, it's just a gimmick and doesn't fix throttle lag. Sending it back Monday for a refund, I just can't justify $330 for something I can do with my own foot. I'd rather save up another $150 and get a tune.

The throttle acts much better if I put the car in S mode or tiptronic, I can deal with that.
      Sorry to hear that. Even with it in "stage 2" (red mode) it doesn't improve at all?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:46 AM #70
      Sorry to hear that. Even with it in "stage 2" (red mode) it doesn't improve at all?
      Sadly, no. The car is much more enjoyable stock, in S or tiptronic mode. You can tell that D's shifting has been programmed to conserve gas, which is fine. I just wish that in S mode, it would shift from 3rd gear into 4th without hanging the rpm's around 3k or so.

What I normally do is start with S mode active, and then once I get into 3rd or 4th gear, I shift into D. Or use tiptronic full time so I'm in control over when the car shifts. I also noticed that tiptronic automatically shifts gears for you, rather than just perform a fuel cutoff similar to a manual transmission.

Next car, I'm definitely getting the DSG transmission, I drove the CC the other day, and WOW what a difference. I still love the Tiguan, but the transmission is something that I'm going to complain about on the VWofA website.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:58 AM #71
      Sadly, no. The car is much more enjoyable stock, in S or tiptronic mode. You can tell that D's shifting has been programmed to conserve gas, which is fine. I just wish that in S mode, it would shift from 3rd gear into 4th without hanging the rpm's around 3k or so.

What I normally do is start with S mode active, and then once I get into 3rd or 4th gear, I shift into D. Or use tiptronic full time so I'm in control over when the car shifts. I also noticed that tiptronic automatically shifts gears for you, rather than just perform a fuel cutoff similar to a manual transmission.

Next car, I'm definitely getting the DSG transmission, I drove the CC the other day, and WOW what a difference. I still love the Tiguan, but the transmission is something that I'm going to complain about on the VWofA website.
      Sorry man, I feel like I was the one that egged you on to buy it. I havent received mine yet, but I just may return it. Im not liking the fact that a CEL happened.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 11:03 AM #72
      Sorry man, I feel like I was the one that egged you on to buy it. I havent received mine yet, but I just may return it. Im not liking the fact that a CEL happened.
      No problem at all! I appreciate your feedback especially considering your experience with it. Definitely helped to get your opinion.

The CEL turned off, however I didn't like it either. Possible low voltage issue, which did not make me feel comfortable considering I wanted my wife driving a safe car with 4motion in the snow up here.....the weather here in the winter is crazy up here.

But hey, that's why they offer a 30 day money back guarantee, and it really is no questions asked! Didn't hurt to try it out.

Now I have my eye on the Jetta GLI or a 2013 CC with DSG for myself . Haven't driven the GLI yet but from how the CC was, I can imagine the GLI is a beast. I prefer the styling and luxury that the CC offers, and it had plenty of power to push me back in my seat, even with the AC blasting.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

23. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 11:44 AM #73
      No problem at all! I appreciate your feedback especially considering your experience with it. Definitely helped to get your opinion.

The CEL turned off, however I didn't like it either. Possible low voltage issue, which did not make me feel comfortable considering I wanted my wife driving a safe car with 4motion in the snow up here.....the weather here in the winter is crazy up here.

But hey, that's why they offer a 30 day money back guarantee, and it really is no questions asked! Didn't hurt to try it out.

Now I have my eye on the Jetta GLI or a 2013 CC with DSG for myself . Haven't driven the GLI yet but from how the CC was, I can imagine the GLI is a beast. I prefer the styling and luxury that the CC offers, and it had plenty of power to push me back in my seat, even with the AC blasting.
      With all my issues with this Tiguan, i shouldve just waited and pre ordered the Passat TDI SEL prem. Im sure I wouldve been more happy with it, and gotten twice the mileage per tank of fuel! lol!

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-18-2012 03:33 PM #74
      Sorry to hear that. I knew this from the get go, I just didn't want to burst your bubble but now that you've experienced this first hand I am sure you'll get back to training your tranny. BTW: it only learns in D mode, S mode is not adaptable
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2012 03:38 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Sorry to hear that. I knew this from the get go, I just didn't want to burst your bubble but now that you've experienced this first hand I am sure you'll get back to training your tranny. BTW: it only learns in D mode, S mode is not adaptable
      Any idea how long adaptive learning stays active? I was hoping to get to smooth out my trans after the update, but it seems my driving doesn't have any affect on it now for about 1700 miles since the update.

BTW, awesome build thread. You got me thinking about the OEM door moldings! They look great!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast