Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Initial acceleration lag - drive by wire

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      06-17-2012 10:58 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by jpipdw View Post
      Sadly, no. The car is much more enjoyable stock, in S or tiptronic mode. You can tell that D's shifting has been programmed to conserve gas, which is fine. I just wish that in S mode, it would shift from 3rd gear into 4th without hanging the rpm's around 3k or so.

What I normally do is start with S mode active, and then once I get into 3rd or 4th gear, I shift into D. Or use tiptronic full time so I'm in control over when the car shifts. I also noticed that tiptronic automatically shifts gears for you, rather than just perform a fuel cutoff similar to a manual transmission.

Next car, I'm definitely getting the DSG transmission, I drove the CC the other day, and WOW what a difference. I still love the Tiguan, but the transmission is something that I'm going to complain about on the VWofA website.
      Sorry man, I feel like I was the one that egged you on to buy it. I havent received mine yet, but I just may return it. Im not liking the fact that a CEL happened.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion, 2013 GTI shadow blue
      06-17-2012 11:03 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      Sorry man, I feel like I was the one that egged you on to buy it. I havent received mine yet, but I just may return it. Im not liking the fact that a CEL happened.
      No problem at all! I appreciate your feedback especially considering your experience with it. Definitely helped to get your opinion.

The CEL turned off, however I didn't like it either. Possible low voltage issue, which did not make me feel comfortable considering I wanted my wife driving a safe car with 4motion in the snow up here.....the weather here in the winter is crazy up here.

But hey, that's why they offer a 30 day money back guarantee, and it really is no questions asked! Didn't hurt to try it out.

Now I have my eye on the Jetta GLI or a 2013 CC with DSG for myself . Haven't driven the GLI yet but from how the CC was, I can imagine the GLI is a beast. I prefer the styling and luxury that the CC offers, and it had plenty of power to push me back in my seat, even with the AC blasting.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2012 11:44 AM #73
      No problem at all! I appreciate your feedback especially considering your experience with it. Definitely helped to get your opinion.

The CEL turned off, however I didn't like it either. Possible low voltage issue, which did not make me feel comfortable considering I wanted my wife driving a safe car with 4motion in the snow up here.....the weather here in the winter is crazy up here.

But hey, that's why they offer a 30 day money back guarantee, and it really is no questions asked! Didn't hurt to try it out.

Now I have my eye on the Jetta GLI or a 2013 CC with DSG for myself . Haven't driven the GLI yet but from how the CC was, I can imagine the GLI is a beast. I prefer the styling and luxury that the CC offers, and it had plenty of power to push me back in my seat, even with the AC blasting.
      With all my issues with this Tiguan, i shouldve just waited and pre ordered the Passat TDI SEL prem. Im sure I wouldve been more happy with it, and gotten twice the mileage per tank of fuel! lol!

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      06-18-2012 03:33 PM #74
      Sorry to hear that. I knew this from the get go, I just didn't want to burst your bubble but now that you've experienced this first hand I am sure you'll get back to training your tranny. BTW: it only learns in D mode, S mode is not adaptable
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2012 03:38 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Sorry to hear that. I knew this from the get go, I just didn't want to burst your bubble but now that you've experienced this first hand I am sure you'll get back to training your tranny. BTW: it only learns in D mode, S mode is not adaptable
      Any idea how long adaptive learning stays active? I was hoping to get to smooth out my trans after the update, but it seems my driving doesn't have any affect on it now for about 1700 miles since the update.

BTW, awesome build thread. You got me thinking about the OEM door moldings! They look great!

Vehicles
      06-18-2012 08:36 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      Any idea how long adaptive learning stays active? I was hoping to get to smooth out my trans after the update, but it seems my driving doesn't have any affect on it now for about 1700 miles since the update.

BTW, awesome build thread. You got me thinking about the OEM door moldings! They look great!
      Indefinitely. First 300-400 miles are the most noticeable, everything after is just little here little there unless of course your driving habits will change drastically or you'll let someone else drive your car for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the compliment. Honestly two best mods I ever did were the moldings and clear bra/x-pell. I can already see nicks on my moldings, compliments of the a$$holes parking next to me.
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 06-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.
      My build thread:

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion, 2013 GTI shadow blue
      06-18-2012 10:05 PM #77
      Submitted an email from the VW customer care complaining about the transmission, not sure why they think we have DSG in the US Tigs? Hopefully they will issue us another tranny update.
      Last edited by jpipdw; 06-19-2012 at 07:56 AM.
      rochester, ny
      2012 tiguan sel 4motion
      2013 gti shadow blue

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2012 07:26 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Indefinitely. First 300-400 miles are the most noticeable, everything after is just little here little there unless of course your driving habits will change drastically or you'll let someone else drive your car for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the compliment. Honestly two best mods I ever did were the moldings and clear bra/x-pell. I can already see nicks on my moldings, compliments of the a$$holes parking next to me.
      Thanks for the info about the adaptive learning. I dont think it'll enough to overcome the issues with the trans Im having now.

I so hate people who can not park correctly next to me and have no consideration for other people's property!! lol.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2012 07:28 AM #79
      submitted an email from the vw customer care complaining about the transmission, not sure why they think we have dsg in the us tigs? Anyways, quite a response! I'm very happy with the entire vw experience so far!

Looks like we will be going for the cc :p
      lol! Nice!

10. 10-06-2012 11:14 AM #80
      I've had this same lag with my 2010 Tiguan and it makes an otherwise great vehicle HORRIBLE to drive. The lag is obnoxious. Think about this same lag occurring with the brakes or steering - would this be acceptable to VW? Of course not, but they design in a lag that appears to be the consequence of the drive by wire system that offers communication between the engine and the tranny. What was originally conceived of as an advancement in technology resulted in a horrible attribute that is a safety issue IMO (I reconstruct accidents for a living). I've moved into a passing lane, hammered the accelerator only to sit there an wait for more than a second before the engine starts to respond.

I understand there's a 3rd party flash for the engine, and a different one for the tranny. Has anyone had any success with either of these flashes for this lag issue?

Carl...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      10-06-2012 01:28 PM #81
      There is also some turbo lag to account for. That said, I have had naturally aspirated cars, with no drive by wire lag as well.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Tiguan S
      07-01-2014 04:31 PM #82
      Bringing this back from the dead...

My '09 Tiguan is my first turbo petrol car, though I've had a couple Mk4 TDIs. From Day 1 I've noticed that when I mash the accelerator, either from a stop or from cruising speed, there is a rather long pause, as if the car is saying, "are you sure you wanted to do that?" and then it takes off like crazy, squawking tires at stops and sinking me in my seat.

It's definitely not turbo lag, nor is inherent to drive-by wire or the AT; the '08 GTI I test-drove before the Tiguan, with essentially the same drivetrain, did not have this issue.

Do any of the aftermarket flashes fix this? Is there a sport mode I can select somewhere with the VCDS?
      Previous rides in purchase order (iirc): '83 GTI, '97 Jetta GLX, '86 GTI, '82 Caddy, '81 Caddy, '99 Golf TDI, '82 ITB Rabbit, '00 Jetta GLS VR6, 84 Rabbit Convertible, '82 Caddy, '87 Cabriolet, '83 GTI, '87 Fox Wagon, '81 Caddy, '96 Golf GL, '02 Jetta Wagon GL, '89 Vanagon Westfalia, '02 Jetta TDI, '99 Eurovan Westfalia Weekender...

Vehicles
      07-02-2014 02:11 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by a1junkie View Post

My '09 Tiguan is my first turbo petrol car, though I've had a couple Mk4 TDIs. From Day 1 I've noticed that when I mash the accelerator, either from a stop or from cruising speed, there is a rather long pause, as if the car is saying, "are you sure you wanted to do that?" and then it takes off like crazy, squawking tires at stops and sinking me in my seat.

It's definitely not turbo lag, nor is inherent to drive-by wire or the AT; the '08 GTI I test-drove before the Tiguan, with essentially the same drivetrain, did not have this issue.

Do any of the aftermarket flashes fix this? Is there a sport mode I can select somewhere with the VCDS?
      try resetting your tranny then re-train. Search for "transmission reset"
      My build thread:

Vehicles
      '07 K04 GTI, '14 Tiguan
      07-02-2014 06:19 AM #84
      All my research has led me to believe it is an inherent "European car" safety feature. I've read posts all over where vw, audi, bmw, and mercedes tend to have this intended "safety" feature.

My 2014 tiguan had it when it was new. I noticed it especially because I was alternating between driving a murano and the tiguan. Murano had instant throttle response. The murano actually caught me by surprise a few times.

My 07 gti never seemed to have the issue.

I don't drive the murano any more and I never notice the delay in the tiguan. It has 13000 miles on it now so any adaptation has been done.

Also, the pedal on the tiguan is a little different. It has a switch underneath that gets pressed at WOT. GTI didn't have that either...

Vehicles
      Tacoma SR5, VW Tiguan
      07-02-2014 10:47 AM #85

Honestly with all my performance mods (mainly APR stage II+) i have noticed the lag in the steering, braking, and throttle has all gone away. I know not everyone wants to mod the vehicle but just the APR ECU flash will probably help it out.
      Wasserwerks | APR Stage II+ Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      And face it, a true mechanic knows how to lube his bolt properly.

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      07-02-2014 09:03 PM #86
      It's the auto trans

The "08 GTI you test-drove before the Tiguan" had a DSG, not a automatic.....so it's not gonna drive the same.

And I don't have this problem at all with my manual trans

Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      07-02-2014 10:43 PM #87
      All this drivability talk just boils down to these

1) 2.0T being asked to move a heavy car around town and also at autobahn speed (turbo sizing, throttle mapping)
      2) torque converter auto with 4 motion AWD computer controlled (programming)
      3) Your poorly or finely tuned right foot

If YOU can program a car better, then by all means do it PLEASE

as for step 3, I think buying a paddle shift steering wheel and leaving the shifter in manual mode is peachy
      without a dsg wheel, i use the shifter in manual mode and when I need an aggressive launch but then slow my acceleration to flow with traffic, i will rev it fairly high for the 1-2 shift but I short shift 2-3 then depending on how much more speed I need I can slide it in D or continue on manual

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123