Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Experienced the FR-S Today: Details Inside

1. 06-12-2012 10:56 PM #1
      This was an interesting day. It started off with a long needle and steroid shots to my shoulder, which of course meant I arrived at work much later than I thought. The day then became increasingly busy and before long I found myself there two hours longer than normal. Mildly stressed, the only prudent option was to swing off at my local Toyota on the way home to peep some FR-S beauties.

As luck would have it they had five in various colors, all manual! The flipside of that luck was that they were all sold. Regardless the salesman was happy to show the cars, all of them.

I must say, this car looks WAY better in person. Don't get me wrong. It's cool in the pictures, but can be a little underwhelming. But in person it all makes sense and has a fair amount of presense for such a small, squat little car.

The build quality looked great. I did not car for the cloth on the seats and it struck me as odd that regardless of the exterior color, the seat were all black with red highlights. That looks fine on the white one but not on the hot orange for example. Either that is a quirk of what was available to the dealer or there needs to be more seating choice. Admittedly I have not built one on the site so this may be a non-issue. But back to the quality of the build, I found the paint to be really impressive. NO orange-peel. The salesguy noted that there is an added protective coat of clear. I'd dismiss this as salesguy BS if not for the mirror tags saying the same. Perhaps this helps them to avoid the orange-peel issue.

The panels lined up perfectly and the interior appeared to be well done and well sorted. The stereo looked rather old school. I normally prefer more whiz bang in my gadgetry, but here I didn't mind. In fact it seems to fit well in the overall "ethos" of the design. I doubt I'd opt for the touchscreen, as long as I can plug in an iPod. Gages and shifter were very nice, sporty but not cheesy. I liked the numerous little details throughout the cabin. The gages were spot on imo.

The character lines on the body worked really well, and the nose while not my cup of tea in pictures was hot in the flesh. I'm still looking forward to comparing it to the BR-Z. Perhaps if I get hosed at work tomorrow I'll stop off at Subaru.

Unfortunately I liked these cars. A lot. I say unfortunately because that means I needed a test drive. But with these being customer cars I didn't even bother to ask. Besides, remember how I started my day? Better to heal the arm before I start judging how a car's steering feels.

So I didn't experience 151 lbs of torque or die as a result. I did however meet a few FR-S drivers and got their honest feedback on the car. Every guy said it was the best car they have ever driven. I gave them a list of cars to compare against, and asked them to slot the FR-S in. The result this from lowest to highest:

MX-5 < RX-8 < FR-S < S2000

What I found most interesting is that though they ranked the S2000 higher, they still considered the FR-S to be the best car. This seems to jive with the magazine reviews btw. No I didn't ask them to compare it to the Renault Megane or Mustang V6.

This brings me to the one glaring issue I have with this car. The rear seats. Those are not seats. They are a suggestion. The only way an adult can sit back there would be if you hacked off their legs, mid-thigh and greased the stumps up with ample amounts of K/Y Her Pleasure and maybe touched them up with some Burt's Bee Wax. I seriously doubt a decent sized baby seat would work. And certainly junior would be too cramped by 3 or 4 year's old. So for those of us who are hitting THAT stage in life, that is a major issue.

So would I buy it? Well until I drive it it's hard to say. It still sits firmly on my shortlist, in no particular order:

FR-S/BR-Z(most interested in this one-that pearl white is stunningly good for that price btw)
      Camaro SS
      Mustang GT
      Abarth 500
      128/135i convertible
      With dark horses coming in the form of a 3 Series, Regal GS (if they make the right changes) or ATS.

This is of course unless life changes get in the way. Fortunately I'm in no rush and can hold off until the fury dies down and until STI news is known. Also the bum arm.

But for those who want to get one now the process is pretty straight forward. Go to the dealership and put down a $1K deposit. This gets you a place in line or you can initiate an order. Be patient the cars seem to arrive every 2 or 3 weeks. The Toyota in McLean gets their new allotment in 10 days. But they will go fast, so secure your spot. The deposit is refundable. DO NOT PAY MARKUPS OF ANY KIND. For every dealership trying to rip you off there are 10 or more who are not. Just walk your business elsewhere.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DJMRDARK; 06-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      06-12-2012 11:03 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      This was an interesting day. It started off with a long needle and steroid shots to my shoulder....
      This review should have an asterisk, it is tainted.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      06-13-2012 12:03 AM #3
      Thank goodness you didn't take test drive, 'cause you would dead and we would sad.

Vehicles
      Touareg 3 and B7 A4
      06-13-2012 12:15 AM #4
      Feeling frs'd out at the moment....

Make them stop

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      06-13-2012 12:36 AM #5
      The interior quality was something I overlooked in my write-up; it really was very attractive and felt much higher quality than, say, an MX5. Everything felt solid, materials were very nice, design is well-executed and very user-friendly.

The seat colour is definitely an oddity, but given the quality of the seats themselves, I can overlook the red inserts. That said, it'd definitely be a good idea to offer them in solid black or with body-coloured inserts.

Definitely wait for your arm to heal before driving it; you're going to love it

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      06-13-2012 12:37 AM #6
      The seat fabric I didn't really like, but I can live with it.

Where do you live? You can drive my FR-S once I get it if you are close to me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      06-13-2012 12:41 AM #7
      As luck would have it they had five in various colors, all manual! The flipside of that luck was that they were all sold. Regardless the salesman was happy to show the cars, all of them.
      My dealer said that 100% of the cars ordered so far are manuals; the only auto is the demo the dealer got.

Not what I was expecting given the popularity of automatics in cars like the Mustang, MX5 and Genesis Coupe. Definitely good news for the enthusiast looking into the used market a few years down the road!

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Smart
      06-13-2012 12:58 AM #8
      I didn't read your review and I bet you probably mentioned it did not have enough torque or was slow.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      06-13-2012 01:18 AM #9
      Awesome, thanks for sharing!

A friend of a friend just got one, I'm trying to setup a chance to check it out.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-13-2012 01:39 AM #10
      I'm a firm believer that the success of this car will bring back the affordable japanese rwd sports coupes. If not Honda, then Nissan will surely develop some sort of 240sx reincarnation or something to that affect.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      06-13-2012 02:01 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I didn't read your review and I bet you probably mentioned it did not have enough torque or was slow.
      You look like a jackass, he didn't even drive the damn thing

Why click if you won't read you illiterate sob

Vehicles
      BMW E39
      06-13-2012 02:11 AM #12
      Didn't bother to read but I can just guess he drove it and thought it was harsh and slow.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-13-2012 02:25 AM #13
      This brings me to the one glaring issue I have with this car. The rear seats. Those are not seats. They are a suggestion.
      I have mentioned this several times, and always get the response 'what do you expect from a 2+2?' It's really not a 2+2 given average-sized drivers and front seat passengers.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      06-13-2012 02:42 AM #14
      It's the size of an MX5; if you expect a usable back seat, you'd better recalibrate your mental measuring tape. Hell, the back seat in a Genesis Coupe is barely usable, and that car is huge next to the Frisbee.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      06-13-2012 04:28 AM #15
      In! for later...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-13-2012 04:52 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      It's the size of an MX5; if you expect a usable back seat, you'd better recalibrate your mental measuring tape. Hell, the back seat in a Genesis Coupe is barely usable, and that car is huge next to the Frisbee.
      Yup, a lot of people seem to be forgetting that...

"Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 05:23 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      It's the size of an MX5; if you expect a usable back seat, you'd better recalibrate your mental measuring tape.
      Oh, I totally agree - it's just that it's sold as a 4-seater, and quite a number of people initially not aware of or paying attention to its dimensions are caught by surprise when they find out the back seat is not usable. Of course, they could have gone the CR-Z route - but then people would complain about the weird storage area that can't be covered...

18. 06-13-2012 06:56 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      The seat fabric I didn't really like, but I can live with it.

Where do you live? You can drive my FR-S once I get it if you are close to me.
      Dude, that is REALLY cool. But I'm in the DC area. Besides, I have 6 weeks of physical therapy to look forward to prior to getting the other limb looked. I'm out of commission for a while. It'll be late into August before I get my curiosity settled.

19. 06-13-2012 07:01 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I have mentioned this several times, and always get the response 'what do you expect from a 2+2?' It's really not a 2+2 given average-sized drivers and front seat passengers.
      The thing is I've owned several 2+2 cars. This is the first for me where the seat is totally unusable. It's not a fatal blow to my decision making. But other than the SC430 I don't recall other cars I have driven or looked at with this issue.

20. 06-13-2012 07:03 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Stay classy.

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E93 328i 6MT, '12 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      06-13-2012 07:57 AM #21
      The thing is I've owned several 2+2 cars. This is the first for me where the seat is totally unusable. It's not a fatal blow to my decision making. But other than the SC430 I don't recall other cars I have driven or looked at with this issue.
      I assume it's like Audi TT? I look forward to seeing FR-S myself. I've seen BRZ in DC autoshow and liked it. But I have a feeling that FR-S might look even better.

Vehicles
      2000 Golf 2.0t, 1971 Plymouth GTX, 2006 V-Rod
      06-13-2012 08:10 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Thinks breaks my heart, I really want one of these cars but I'm afraid my big a$$ at 6'-4" will not fit in one.
      Last edited by AutoCrosser11; 06-13-2012 at 08:13 AM.
      This space for rent

Vehicles
      NB Miata, DE Mazda2
      06-13-2012 08:13 AM #23
      It actually has 9" more rear legroom per the specs than an S14 240SX. Again, look at a 911, look at a 944, look at an MGB-GT... this is why they call those cars "2+2" and not just straight up four-seaters.

It can be done.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      06-13-2012 08:24 AM #24
      Most important is how much seat travel the FR-S has. Tall? Scoot the seat all the way back to the rear bench like a MINI = no problems. Short? Scoot up to where you can reach the pedals, and now there's a useful space behind you!

They gave it room for tall drivers. Period. That's one of the main reasons the car gets a big in my book

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 08:36 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Most important is how much seat travel the FR-S has. Tall? Scoot the seat all the way back to the rear bench like a MINI = no problems. Short? Scoot up to where you can reach the pedals, and now there's a useful space behind you!
      Unfortunately, no --- that is not the case, as has been stated here by numerous posters. There is no space at all for rear passengers, given an average driver/front passenger. It simply is not a 4-seater as claimed by the manufacturers, nor a 2+2, for most people. It's a two-seater with poor cargo space coverage options and usage.

Vehicles
      01 Audi S4
      06-13-2012 09:34 AM #26
      I guess I need to start a thread about not seeing a FRS/Toyota/Subaru today...
      01 Audi S4 K04 stage III. 13 Accord Sport. Past 07 BMW 335i
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      My point that you changing his quote to "prove him wrong" is ridiculous. Obviously we're talking about opinions and different needs. Its as if I'm hungry for a burger and you telling me that having a milkshake is better because you can drink them instead of chew.

Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-13-2012 09:36 AM #27
      Unfortunately, no --- that is not the case, as has been stated here by numerous posters. There is no space at all for rear passengers, given an average driver/front passenger. It simply is not a 4-seater as claimed by the manufacturers, nor a 2+2, for most people. It's a two-seater with poor cargo space coverage options and usage.

Mike wasn't talking about the back seat room. he was specifically talking about it having room for tall drivers. So that the person above that said they didn't think they could fit in it due to being 6'4" shoud check one out anyhow as there's room for big people in the driver's seat.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      06-13-2012 09:47 AM #28

I've seen that pic since it was posted before, but in person its pretty substantially larger than a NC Miata. Its not as small as I thought. Though the ones I've seen and how their seats were adjusted the rear seat room is non-existent....Makes for a good storage space though, which is a plus over the Miata...

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      06-13-2012 09:49 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      I've seen that pic since it was posted before, but in person its pretty substantially larger than a NC Miata. Its not as small as I thought. Though the ones I've seen and how their seats were adjusted the rear seat room is non-existent....Makes for a good storage space though, which is a plus over the Miata...
      Random note, 370Z is 167.1" long....which is just a tad longer than the FR-S/BRZ...

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 09:52 AM #30
      It's a two-seater with poor cargo space coverage options and usage.
      Wait, what?

Vehicles
      '88 e30 M3, '87 c900 vert, '10 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
      06-13-2012 10:00 AM #31
      Wait, what?

I'm in love with the fact that the rear seats fold fully flat. I really need to drive the Frisbee and my M3 back to back.

Anybody in the PNW have one yet? Let's do an old-school comparo, Frisbee vs e30 M3.
      1988 BMW M3 Project Thread - 8k all day, rain or shine. Yes, I drive mine.
      1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible - 335whp, March 2010 Eurotuner Feature Car

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      06-13-2012 10:13 AM #32
      I'm not the first to tell you this, but you need to be reminded what "2+2" means.

I've sat in the car. I would not be able to drive an FR-S with someone behind me, that is true. What's great is it has tons of room for me, forgetting about the rear seat. That doesn't mean it's not usable. Shorter people do exist.

It's barely worse than my mom's "2+2" 924. All 2+2s are like this.

Vehicles
      06-13-2012 10:20 AM #33
      I'm not the first to tell you this, but you need to be reminded what "2+2" means.

I've sat in the car. I would not be able to drive an FR-S with someone behind me, that is true. What's great is it has tons of room for me, forgetting about the rear seat. That doesn't mean it's not usable. Shorter people do exist.

It's barely worse than my mom's "2+2" 924. All 2+2s are like this.
      And doesn't it being labeled at 2+2 help with insurance rates as well?

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      06-13-2012 10:25 AM #34
      Yeah..... I think they're called "children".

This car would be fine for a couple with a young kid and a dog. Maybe not the best choice for that sort of situation, but it'd work.

35. 06-13-2012 10:30 AM #35
      Wait, what?

Not bad but it looks like the driver will be looking at his legs instead of the road while driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast