Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Having trouble quitting my job.

1. 06-13-2012 03:48 PM #1
      I'm 24 years old and an Assistant Branch Manager at a major car rental agency (take a guess..). Anyways, I well over the whole program and find myself itching to get out. There are a few things holding me back from pulling the trigger. First one, and admittedly the least important is money. I have advanced fairly quickly with the company and am making very good money for my age especially over the lucrative summer months in the rental industry. However, this get put into perspective when you factor in that I work 60-70 hours/week. This is not a deterrent for me, my work ethic is one of my best qualities, I'm just nowhere near happy doing what I do anymore. But, I'm not here to bash my employer. The more important issue with me leaving my current position is that I do not know where to go from here. I just can't figure out what I want to do with myself, I just know that I'm not happy right now and need a change. Does anyone have any advice or experience coming from a retail management position. My initial goal was to use my experience in my companies management training program to springboard onto something else. I'm ready to jump, I just don't know where to land..

Thanks.

I'm willing to share more details about myself or my current employer if needed, I just wanted to keep this as short as possible.

06-13-2012 06:32 PM #2
      Well, your smart to not quit your job before getting another.
      The no-so-smart part is thinking that work ethic has anything to do with working 70-80 hrs/wk.

The only question I have is, what would you rather be doing?
      x

3. 06-13-2012 09:33 PM #3
      I can relate to you in some way or another. What skills do you have? Any college experience? Would you like to move up to multi unit management?
      Good luck!

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      06-14-2012 10:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      The no-so-smart part is thinking that work ethic has anything to do with working 70-80 hrs/wk.
      This. I have a co-worker in another office who stays at work later than me on most nights. While he is busier, the main problem is that he is just horribly inefficient. And that inefficiency results in unnecessarily higher bills for our clients.

5. 06-14-2012 12:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      This. I have a co-worker in another office who stays at work later than me on most nights. While he is busier, the main problem is that he is just horribly inefficient. And that inefficiency results in unnecessarily higher bills for our clients.
      Boom. I've tried explaining that to certain people who just can't seem to grasp it. Work smarter, not harder. Measure twice, cut once. Keep they heads ringing, ring ding dong.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      06-14-2012 04:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BMAN70 View Post
      I'm 24 years old and an Assistant Branch Manager at a major car rental agency (take a guess..). Anyways, I well over the whole program and find myself itching to get out.
      So, you are in the management program at Enterprise rent-a-car for a few months and although you seem to be good at it, it's long hours and tough. That's your reason you are using to quit?

How about this, stick it out with them for a full 12 months. Work your ass off to be the best producer. Happily adopt all the changes that Corporate dreams up. Try to make your office the highest producer in your area.

Then come back and say you want to quit. Until that point, you are just saying that you don't like hard work. How is that making you more marketable?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAN70 View Post
      Does anyone have any advice or experience coming from a retail management position.
      Do this job long enough so that you don't have to do retail ever again.

Seriously, there are a ton of Fortune 500 companies that LOVE to hire successful employees from Enterprise (or whichever one you're working at). Why? Because they have a work ethic and aren't afraid to put in the hours it takes to get the job done.

06-14-2012 09:52 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Efficiency is doing things well wether or not they are important.

Much better to be effective.

I had a friend that got himself fired, because he obsessed over making his work (architecure) perfect. The bosses, who budgeted and billed the customers, got tired of the long nights and weekends worth of work.
      x

06-14-2012 09:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post

Seriously, there are a ton of Fortune 500 companies that LOVE to hire successful employees from Enterprise (or whichever one you're working at). Why? Because they have a work ethic and aren't afraid to put in the hours it takes to get the job done.

I've been in and out of retail, at a high(ish) level for years. I love/hate it.

It's one of those things though - if you make it about an insanely great customer experience, you will rule your world.
      x

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      06-15-2012 11:38 AM #9

My first job out of college was outside sales of a terribly boring product, which meant lots of horrific cold calls. I HATED it. So much so that I went back to school. But I stuck it out for a little more than a year, did what they asked, produced, and did well.

More than 10 years later, I was talking about that job in an interview this week. No matter what field you go in to, being able to prove that you successfully helped grow a business/increase revenue/move more units/etc are going to be desirable to an employer. Not to mention being able to prove that you stuck with something and saw it through, even if it was challenging and not enjoyable.

Ironically, I've also realized that I don't hate sales. I hated that type of sales. So maybe you don't hate retail, but you hate moving rental cars. So get enough experience and move over to a similar position for a cool product that you love.

Vehicles
      , 1986 Cabriolet "ripper",,,
      06-15-2012 01:53 PM #10
      I reently graduated from colledge with my business diploma (marketing) in hand and started looking for a proper job. Well i went and applied with enterprise. had 2 intervews (1 of them was 1.5hrs long lol) and got hired for the position u started out in.

The pay is pretty poor IMO little more then $15/hr? (i know its a recisession and i should be glad to have a job). but then i told my previous P/T emplyeer that i was going into this and would stay P/T becuase i really liked the job.

Well ive decided to go get my degree and bail out of enterprise. what am i doing now? truding through the mud putting irrigation pipe in making WAY more money then i would there. I just didnt think it would be for me and going back to school would be put off for a few more years seeign as they said they wanted someone "long term".

When i had to call to decline the job it was hard to do but were linked in friends, sorry "connections" now.
      Mk1 crowd:: Put your bumpers back on!!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat 1.8t, sedan.
      06-15-2012 06:51 PM #11
      If Enterprise is the actually the place of work, I would suggest leave it as soon as you'll find another job. Completely different way of thinking combined with straight lies. It seems, like their commission/profit sharing structure bent way too far. I doubt person with normal ethics would be able to stay there for 6 months.

On advise to gear up and make ton of money for them and then say "I am quit", I personally would not even bother. Just do the math, how much you are making, how many hrs you work and it might turn out the place(company) is not the best.
      I am looking for a job in Transportation, Logistics, Distribution or International Trade. Analysis, Planning, Operations.

12. Member In 4 Bagels, Left Hungry's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06 Civic Si, 98 M3 convertible
      06-24-2012 07:59 PM #12
      This. Although enterprise seems to hire pretty much anyone out of college, the fact that you made it to an asst mgmt position it shows you had the will/desire to stick around through whatever weeds out most people who start in the "mgmt training program" or whatever they call it.

07-03-2012 11:19 AM #13
      If you find filling out the paper work so I can drive your crappy econo car for a week difficult you should stay.

Its no different then McDonalds .

- Also fck enterprise , not only do I not rent my cars from you clowns (I travel every week) , I also dont understand your assclown policy of need a college edumacation to fill out the paper work I already did online ....

Again , Do you want frys with that is the next step down.
      Last edited by Chilledman; 07-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Vehicles
      Mk4 VR6, Mk3 GLX (RIP), Mk2 GLI, Mk1 Rabbit, B5 S4, 03 Mustang , 66 Nova SS, 65 Impala, 95 Ranger
      07-06-2012 10:32 PM #14
      get job on cruiseship, quit current work... infinite vacation
      VSC Tuning
      Offroad Rig
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Plastidip the world.

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      07-07-2012 10:58 PM #15
      I went through a similar management trainee program with 84 Lumber. Hired anyone with a college degree, work 65-70 hours a week for peanuts and (if you pay attention) they teach you sales and business. It's almost a paid internship. I worked hard and got moved up in 6 months. After another year there I moved on to another company but my time with 84 is always a high point on my resume. I have run into other ex 84 manager trainees as I have changed jobs over the years. Overall, we carry a good reputation.
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport