Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's LeMans week - The Race Is On!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      06-14-2012 09:16 AM #1
      Hey everybody!

As we all know, it's LeMans week, and the attention of the motorsports world is turning to a country town in the west of France.

Fourtitude's Editor in Chief, George Achorn is in LeMans this week, embedded with the Audi Sport team. George will be providing updates each day, and live coverage during the race. In depth articles will be posted to http://fourtitude.com/ - there is already coverage there of scrutineering, the autograph sessions, and a Q&A with driver Marc Gene, who was brought onboard to replace Timo Bernhard, who is still recovering from a crash at Sebring during Audi's test sessions there after the 12 hour race in March.

We will be posting live updates during the race to our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/FourtitudeAudiSite as well as to twitter.

For some lead up to the race, we have some videos that are worth the time to watch:

First up is our interview with "Mr. LeMans" himself, Tom Kristensen. Tom has won LeMans (and Sebring) more times than any other person, and we sat down with him in the Audi Sport team bus on Monday morning after the Sebring race to catch his thoughts on the new R18 e-tron quattro race car, preparing for LeMans, and a funny story about a run-in with local law enforcement:

After we got finished talking with Tom, we thought we'd sit down with his boss, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, the head of Audi Sport. We discussed the development of the R18 Ultra and the R18 e-tron quattro, as well as the drama of last year's LeMans, and preparation for this year's race.

As I said, George is in LeMans with the team all week, and on Monday he had the chance to sit down with driver Dindo Capello and discuss this year's race as well as the particulars of driving and getting used to the new hybrid R18 e-tron quattro.

On Tuesday, George grabbed some time with 2011 winning driver Andre Lotterer, who spent some time giving insights on what went in to winning last year's race from the perspective of the drivers.

We will keep posting more updates as we get them, but I figured that some of you guys in here would enjoy seeing this stuff.

Addition for Friday....

We've added some new videos to our Youtube channel, Fourtitube.

First up is George's interview of Marco Bonanomi on Tuesday. Although this is Marco's first LeMans, he was one of the development drivers for the R18, and so he has logged a LOT of miles in them and has some good insights into the cars. Marco will be sharing R18 Ultra #4 with Oliver Jarvis and Mike Rockenfeller.

Second up is friend of Fourtitude Allan McNish. Allan is a double LeMans winner, and of course will be sharing his car with Dindo Capello and Mr. LeMans, Tom Kristensen. Dindo makes a "guest appearance" early in the interview, and it's a good insight into their camaraderie. Known as the "Scottish Terrier" for his aggressive attacking of traffic, Allan has some good insights into how the R18 e-tron quattro will combine with a newly repaved track to change passing strategy, as well as how the famous LeMans rainy weather may come in to play.

-Tim

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      06-14-2012 09:27 AM #2
      Ullrich is just so entertaining...

great set of links/vids. best of luck to all the drivers!
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

3. 06-14-2012 09:27 AM #3
      I'm most curious to see how the deltawing performs.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

4. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      06-14-2012 09:40 AM #4
      Sounds like the Deltawing had some issues yesterday. They are STILL running on the tires that they had run at the LM tests. From what I've read they want to be able to go 10 stints or so on the tires. Also I guess they have given up on the torque vectoring diff b/c of problems w/the gearbox that they have been having.

Timing wise they are smack in the middle of LMP2 times, but there is clearly more potential in the car.

BTW.. some helpful links.

www.radiolemans.com
      www.dailysportscar.com
      10/10ths forums
      http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

and of course more importantly www.fourtitude.com

Vehicles
      1985 Motor Trend Car of the Year
      06-14-2012 10:23 AM #5
      Insanely jealous.

6. 06-14-2012 10:39 AM #6
      How about a 24 hour movie following the Audi team, real time.

http://truthin24.com/country-selector

And they are making a sequel.
      "The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

7. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      06-14-2012 10:59 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      Ullrich is just so entertaining...
      Agreed. I could have sit there in that bus and listened to him talk all day, literally. He's also an incredibly nice, humble person, especially considering his position and accomplishments.

As a "racing dork" moment, while we were shooting that video (and I was taking stills as well) my knee was bumping against the trophy from the 12 Hours of Sebring that they had won two days before. The bus was packed with all of the drivers' and manufacturers' trophies from the race.

great set of links/vids. best of luck to all the drivers!
      Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      I'm most curious to see how the deltawing performs.
      Me too. It's an oddball car for sure, but goes with the tradition of innovation that LeMans endurance racing has always fostered, and that's cool by me.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
      How about a 24 hour movie following the Audi team, real time.

http://truthin24.com/country-selector

And they are making a sequel.
      If you're referring to Truth in 24, it's not a 24 hour movie, and it's not real time. It is a great documentary, though, and you're correct, they did make a sequel. We hosted a premiere of it a few weeks back and it's also very, very good. It covers last year's race, which Audi won by 13 seconds.

I am super excited about this weekend.

-Tim

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      06-14-2012 11:56 AM #8
      Time for me to start hunting down my online Eurosport feed....

9. 06-14-2012 01:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim@Fourtitude View Post
      If you're referring to Truth in 24, it's not a 24 hour movie, and it's not real time. It is a great documentary, though, and you're correct, they did make a sequel. We hosted a premiere of it a few weeks back and it's also very, very good. It covers last year's race, which Audi won by 13 seconds.

I am super excited about this weekend.

-Tim
      Good to know. Now I won't need to buy depends.
      "The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

10. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      06-14-2012 02:32 PM #10
      Oh.. one more helpful link to follow qually/race, etc.

http://thomasbaekdal.com/mini-sites/lemans2012/

Great feed with times and tweets, pics etc. HIGHLY recommend anyone following the race this year to use that as it's way more reliable that even the T&S from lemans.org.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      06-14-2012 03:08 PM #11
      Thanks for heads up!

Life gets so busy... Cant believe its already another year, another June!

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      06-14-2012 03:23 PM #12
      Really looking forward to seeing the hybrids duke it out. Can't imagine it will be without problems, but that is what GT is for... I kid!

13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-14-2012 03:58 PM #13
      I get to have some time to myself this weekend since it's Father's Day. Gotta invite a couple of friends over and watch some good ol' all-American racin'. Errrrr, I mean good ol' all-French racin'.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Oldsmobile Intrigue
      06-14-2012 06:14 PM #14
      Listening to the live coverage of qualifying on Radio Le Mans: http://radiolemans.0157.org/node

Other information can be found here: http://www.lemanslive.com/

Between Speed & Speed.com, the entire race will be shown or streamed live.
      North American Grand Prix (NAGP) - Sim Racing League
      http://northamericangp.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

15. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      06-14-2012 08:59 PM #15
      if only there was a way to mute Scott Pruett on Speed.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      04 Golf R32, '13 Club Edition Miata
      06-14-2012 10:21 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      I can't stand that db. He never shuts up about Grand Am and the Rolex 24. He is just an arrogant prick.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-14-2012 10:35 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      You can.

Go to www.radiolemans.com, register and press "Listen Live" button on the left to listen for the live feed.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      06-14-2012 10:40 PM #18
      i definitely do that, but the Speed feed seems to be off from their radio feed, and that bothers me for some reason.

either way, i typically have a laptop running, my desktop running, and tv running during the race. each one has different live timing, in-car streams, team radio streams, or whatever else i can find to make the experience that much more nerdy.

welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-14-2012 10:48 PM #19
      Drive channel on youtube is having live coverage. Can't wait for that.

20. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      06-15-2012 07:52 AM #20
      We've added some new videos to our Youtube channel, Fourtitube.

First up is George's interview of Marco Bonanomi on Tuesday. Although this is Marco's first LeMans, he was one of the development drivers for the R18, and so he has logged a LOT of miles in them and has some good insights into the cars. Marco will be sharing R18 Ultra #4 with Oliver Jarvis and Mike Rockenfeller.

Second up is friend of Fourtitude Allan McNish. Allan is a double LeMans winner, and of course will be sharing his car with Dindo Capello and Mr. LeMans, Tom Kristensen. Dindo makes a "guest appearance" early in the interview, and it's a good insight into their camaraderie. Known as the "Scottish Terrier" for his aggressive attacking of traffic, Allan has some good insights into how the R18 e-tron quattro will combine with a newly repaved track to change passing strategy, as well as how the famous LeMans rainy weather may come in to play.

I am also adding these to the first post.

-Tim

21. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      06-15-2012 02:18 PM #21
      Afternoon bump.

-Tim

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-15-2012 02:50 PM #22
      Thank you for the heads up. It has been difficult for me to follow most racing this year, due to my current adventure.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      06-15-2012 05:46 PM #23
      Is there a diesel face-off this year? Doesnt look like it...

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      06-16-2012 01:49 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim@Fourtitude View Post
      Hey everybody!

As we all know, it's LeMans week, and the attention of the motorsports world is turning to a country town in the west of France.

-Tim
      I am eternally GRATEFUL to you for posting this thread. I had no clue LeMans was this weekend. If not for your thread I would have missed it and been royally upset on Monday.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Reps to the moon.

25. 06-16-2012 01:58 AM #25
      Looking forward to what the Spaniard will bring to the table. He's got Peugeot blood in his veins.
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

Vehicles
      Not Vortex Approved
      06-16-2012 02:44 AM #26
      I love this time of year.

I love how this race is the hub for automotive innovation, and it's real where politics don't ruin it unlike other un-named forms of auto racing

I was awake an unhealthy amount of last year watching more of the race than I should've, and I will probably do the same this year

27. Senior Member
      06-16-2012 08:13 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post
      Is there a diesel face-off this year? Doesnt look like it...

Hybrid face-off. Less than an hour to go.......
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

06-16-2012 08:20 AM #28
      Go everyone but Audi
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

29. Senior Member
      06-16-2012 08:34 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Go everyone but Audi
      You rooted against Porsche in the 80s too I bet
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

30. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-16-2012 08:52 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
      I love this time of year.

I love how this race is the hub for automotive innovation, and it's real where politics don't ruin it unlike other un-named forms of auto racing
      Yessir. This is far and away my favorite race of any type. The innovation is unparalleled and there's so much less in the way of politics involved. This isn't to say there are no politics, but compared to NASCAR and F1? Almost none!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

31. 06-16-2012 08:59 AM #31
      just cracked my first beer, almost race start here on the west coast.

GO AUDI!

32. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      06-16-2012 09:28 AM #32
      Well, the race is on, and true to form, Allan McNish has made a pass on the very first couple of corners to move up to position 3.

I'll periodically update this thread, but most of our "live" coverage will be via Facebook and Twitter:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FourtitudeAudiSite - main updates will be here
      Twitter:
      https://twitter.com/#!/fourtitude - the main Fourtitude account
      https://twitter.com/#!/r18 - R18 #1 - Fassler, Lotterer, Treluyer
      https://twitter.com/#!/AudiR18_2 - R18 e-tron quattro #2 - McNish, Capello, Kristensen
      https://twitter.com/#!/AudiR18_3 - R18 Ultra #3 - Dumas, Duval, Gene
      https://twitter.com/#!/AudiR18_4 - R18 Ultra #4 - Bonanomi, Jarvis, Rockenfeller

Updates specific to each car or driver will be on the twitter accounts.

-Tim

06-16-2012 09:31 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      You rooted against Porsche in the 80s too I bet
      Who?

Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      06-16-2012 09:47 AM #34
      Best race of the year. So excited. Just gonna lay on the couch for hours

06-16-2012 09:57 AM #35
      Currently cable-less. Is this streamed anywhere? Doesn't need to have sound either. Can't stand listening to them try to crap out 24 hours worth of small talk anyway.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast