Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: wiring photo request mk3/mk3.5

Vehicles
      1999.5 Cabrio
      06-14-2012 01:14 PM #1
      I have a 99.5 cabrio.

my brother unplugged some wires behind the fuse/relay panel and I cannot for the life of me determine where they go.

I own a bentley manual and it is of no help. The schematics do not match my car what so ever.

SOOOOO if someone would be kind enough to drop their relay/fuse panel and snap some photos of the single pin connector locations and the two pin connector locations I would be forever grateful!

the car was manufactured in may of 99 so it does not have an immobilizer..nor does it match pre 99 or 99+ wiring diagrams.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      06-14-2012 03:06 PM #2
      You might have better success on this project if you'll post detailed descriptions of what does and doesn't work, photos of the connectors you can't figure out.
      Photos, if they don't clearly show wire and tracer colors, be sure to describe those colors as you comment your photos.

vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      1999.5 Cabrio
      06-14-2012 04:33 PM #3

black with green stripe
      black with white stripe

three pin female connector
      pin 1 - black with green stripe
      pin 2 - black with white stripe
      pin 3 - violet with white stripe

black with green stripe

yellow plug with yellow wire

black plug with red wire

grey plug with black wire, which runs to a green tube of sorts (maybe a fuse or an enclosed diode), which runs to a small pack of single black connectors

here is a small "pack" of connectors similar to the pack referenced above. I compared this pack to my mk3 golf and the grey plug on the right seems to be out of place.

the donor car was a mk3 jetta vr6 automatic converted to manual.
      we used the jetta automatic ecu and automatic wiring harness in the conversion. we removed the tcm and got rid of the PNP relay...then jumped a two pin connector to get the starter to work.

the current problem is that the alarm indicator LED on the drivers door lock is constantly on. The alarm module is getting no power to it when tested. The alarm module is supposed to power that LED according to the Bentley manual. Therefore, a small connector must be plugged in incorrectly. Also the trunk lid release switch does not work. this switch is also powered by the alarm control module.

the jetta had a white box with a 6 pin connector and a ten pin connector. the cabrio (recipient) has a black box with a 6 pin connector and a 12 pin connector.

that is the diagram on the jetta box

the cabrio pin out is almost the same, but with the addition of two pins.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      06-15-2012 08:13 AM #4
      Yikes!
      I can offer some help, mostly with reading and interpreting Bentley schematics, I have no similar car to compare to.

1st, everything unplugged from both cars should have been labeled at the time of disconnect, but, that's now a lost opportunity, let's move on.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyEmlyEm View Post
      .......the current problem is that the alarm indicator LED on the drivers door lock is constantly on. The alarm module is getting no power to it when tested. The alarm module is supposed to power that LED according to the Bentley manual. ......

.......the trunk lid release switch does not work. this switch is also powered by the alarm control module.....

the jetta had a white box with a 6 pin connector and a ten pin connector. the cabrio (recipient) has a black box with a 6 pin connector and a 12 pin connector.........
      The back of the fuse panel diagram with pin out numbers is on page 97-4, Fig. 5. I'll call out FRP pin numbers as I find them.

Alarm system schematic, Cabrio from August 1998 is on pages 97-420 through 97-427. It clearly shows T6b and T12a, the 6 and 12 pin connectors.
      The immobilizer on 97-418 and 419 is from September 1999 and up, does not (or should not) apply to your car.

---
      Continuous battery power to the alarm controller comes from FRP 30 to controller T6b/3, a 1.5 mm red/white wire, track 6, 97-421.
      Key switched power from FRP D8 to T12a/6, black 1.0 mm, tracks 11 & 12, 97-421.
      Controller ground is on T12a/5, brown 0.5 mm, tracks 30 & 37, 97-423.
      ---
      The indicator light is NOT powered by the alarm controller, rather it is grounded by the alarm controller. Power to the light comes from fuse S-21, don't bother testing as you already know it is good since the light lights.
      The indicator grounds through T12a/4, see track 24 on 97-422. It must be grounding through the alarm controller, the controller will only release that ground and turn off the light when the alarm is fully dis-armed.
      ---
      Um, the rear lid release switch E165 schematic on 97-424, tracks 44 & 45 makes no sense.
      It shows pin 4 connecting to ground through FRP K/11, pin 1 connects to controller T12a/2 grey/green, pin 2 is left open.
      As shown 1 and 4 are not connected, when activated 1 connects to 2 but 2 goes nowhere.
      I'd test that, learn what it really does.
      ---
      Trunk release solenoid N188 is on 97-422 track 22. It shows as being grounded all the time, therefore it's connection to T12a/11 brown/blue 0.5 mm must be power to actuate the solenoid.
      Unplug the controller, tickle voltage to the T12a11 wire, trunk solenoid should pop.
      ---
      All those nice photos of loose connectors you took and posted, um, sorry I asked for them, I can't help.
      You are going to have to pour over the schematics page at a time until you find them. Some will go nowhere, never did, they were put there for differently equipped cars, like with four doors, sunroof, stuff like that that varies from one model to the other.
      Some might be important.
      This pain could have been eased or eliminated by the lost opportunity mentioned above, oh well.....
      Many hours can be spent tracing those down, needs hands on.

vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      1999.5 Cabrio
      06-15-2012 05:30 PM #5
      Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

Vehicles
      VW MK3 Cabrio 2.0 16V (ABF)
      06-16-2012 06:13 AM #6
      looks like a heated seat loom?

06-16-2012 12:16 PM #7
      Step 1: Punch your brother in the throat.

That should just about solve your problem.
      LOWERIT

Vehicles
      1999.5 Cabrio
      06-16-2012 03:01 PM #8
      Agreed >

Might be able to get a guy down the road to let me borrow his cabrio for reference

Vehicles
      1999.5 Cabrio
      06-18-2012 10:50 PM #9
      So, turns out I pluged the 12 pin alarm plug into the cruise control bix and vice versa. I guess i have to punch myself im the throat now -.-

Problems fixed.