Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shifter question

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      03 VW GTI VR6
      06-14-2012 09:49 PM #1
      I've looked everywhere I could before posting, but I can't find what I'm looking for. A few days ago I lost the retaining clip holding the shift linkage onto the shifter. One second I was in fifth taking in exit, next second my shifter was flopping around. And still in fifth. I've fixed the issue temporarily, with a little clip from Lowe's. I'm waiting for a short shifter to show up, and then I'll get in there and fix it, but... I can't find one of these clips anywhere, and I look at the dealer as a last resort. Any tips? Thanks.

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 24v VR6
      06-15-2012 01:07 PM #2
      A little clip like that should only be a couple dollars at the dealer. If you order online the shipping would cost more than the actual clip

Vehicles
      2003 24v gti vr6 GT3582BB
      06-17-2012 11:13 PM #3
      I can get you an OEM part number or possibly a link to ecs tunings website for it. Give me a day and ill PM you

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      03 VW GTI VR6
      06-27-2012 12:48 PM #4
      Well I found the problem and it wasn't a clip (dealer gave me a clip) Once I got in through the bottom, and removed the plate I found it was some type of bushing that busted. It seems that the little knobby end on the end of the shifter fits into the bushing, and the bushing fits into the end of the shift linkage. The retaining clip, which is still good, then holds the bushing on, but since the bushing is destroyed the retaining clip isn't big enough to hold the linkage on, it just slides past it. Problem is, the parts guy isn't exactly sure what it is, since we can't find it on any of the drawings.

photo2

photo1

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      03 VW GTI VR6
      06-27-2012 01:18 PM #5
      Update---

Seems VW doesn't sell these bushings, I'd have to replace the whole cable. I can find shifter cable bushings for the transmission end, but not for the shifter end. Anyone had this issue before? Anyone know where to find the bushings separate from the shift cable?

Vehicles
      2003 24V GLI
      07-30-2012 06:10 PM #6
      Same exact thing happened to me about a month ago and I couldn't for the life of me find the bushing to replace I ended up rigging it together with some stuff I picked up at home depot. If it happens again I'll replace the cable.

Vehicles
      2003 24V GLI
      07-30-2012 06:12 PM #7
      a billet piece would be nice!