Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8t mk1 rabbit clutch cable problem

1. Junior Member
      06-15-2012 08:08 PM #1
      So I bought a partially finished mk1 rabbit 1.8t swap. It's running pretty well now but I am having an issue with the self adjusting clutch cable that the previous owner installed. The engagement point is at the very bottom of the pedal movement, and when the engine is properly warmed up, it seems the cable stretches slightly and I am unable to shift into reverse without grinding. I suspect that the self adjustment mechanism has failed and I'm looking to buy a manual one. Does anyone know what cable I should buy to properly fix this?

Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco GLI, '83 BMW E21 316
      06-16-2012 03:43 AM #2
      Self adjusting cables are the devil! Are you running an 020, or an 02A/02J with a cable conversion?
      Last edited by polov8; 06-16-2012 at 03:56 AM.

3. Junior Member
      06-16-2012 03:56 PM #3
      I'm running an 02J. I was screwing around with this cable last night and I managed to somehow make it work perfectly for about 5 miles of driving, then it went back to how it was before by itself.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      06-18-2012 06:48 PM #4
      i have been running a self adjusting cable for 5 years on my 450whp MKI 20v GLi.

the thing that people fuk up is when you install teh cable..you take the plastic frame on the adjuster off AFTER it is installed and setup..then you release it and are good to go.

i have had ZERO issues with mine. josh@NLS is selling cables right now..these are DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to find.
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

5. Junior Member
      06-29-2012 02:39 PM #5
      I probably have the exact same cable that you have. This one actually still has the plastic strap thing on it, it was never cut off, just disconnected. Maybe I can try to reinstall it, removing the strap last and see if that helps any. I'd really rather just have a manual one that I can adjust right where I want it. Maybe I'll just swap this back to hydraulic instead, my pedal cluster is dying anyway.