Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally rebuilding hte block. 50 trim content... stock block for the past 40k miles

1. 06-18-2012 10:02 AM #1
      Alright ladies and gentlemen, Now that I have finally came accross the funds for all the parts I decided to take my first plunge into rebuilding my block. The motor has 134k on it which 40k+ of it were running on the CTS BT kit and the previous 50k miles being chipped. 19mm rods were ordered from IE as well as all the rings bearing gasket kit and their manual timing belt tensioner. First off ordering evering thing from IE went as good as it could have been. Cassidy made sure to get all my misc. random requests in and still get it all shipped out fast as hell. Parts should be here tomorrow I am hoping. I have started tearing everything else while waiting tho. Most of the rebuild will also give me time to clean up most of my bay, track down and oil leak and small vaccum leaks and get it all back to one piece.

Started yesterday by pulling the intake mini, valve cover, turbo and oil lines. For the most part valves and top end seem to be looking fairly good, alot better than I was expecting. Intake mani was coated on the inside however with a nice slime that shouldnt be a big issue. I was able to find my oil leak and I am amazed and very thankful that there wasn't a bigger problem, lilke a fire from it. You guys will see in the pictures, the old oil line from being so close to the Downpipe had melted a hole through it. I also notice when I went to pull the turbo out that where the line was connected to the turbo was all heat rotted away wo when I gave it a good yank it just pulled apart. A braided stainless steel line will be going in as its replacement and hopefully will not have this issue again.

On to the pictures. More to come. I should finish the tear down this Thursday and then bolt everyything back together and break in on Sunday. Thurs and Sun are my two days off a week, so keep checking back.

Last edited by weenerdog3443; 06-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta 2.5 '02 GTI 337 '97 BMW 328i
      06-18-2012 11:43 AM #2
      Good stuff. 40k on a BT stock block
      GTi 337 Edition ~ 322WHP 270WTQ
      {PPT T3/T4 50 TRIM .63 Haldex Kit - Eurodyne Maestro - 630cc Injectors - IE Rods - AEB Head w/ VVT - CAT Cam Gear - Walbro Inline - Audi S3 Gearbox - Peloquin Diff - SouthBend STGIII Clutch - .:R32 LCA's/Spindles/Rack - Ksport Audi TT Coilovers - 25mm R32 FSB - 28mm RSB - Porsche BBK - Eurojet FMIC - FSI Coils - 2 Stage Boostvalve - HKS SSQV }

Vehicles
      '04 R32, '15 Passat TDI, '03 1.8t GTI, '85 16v GTI
      06-18-2012 11:46 AM #3
      Good call on the stainless oil lines I can't believe the Kinetic kit used to come with silicone for them. You doing the timing belt/tensioner etc. too? Make sure to mark everything timing related as they come off. Makes it much easier upon reassembly to just line marks up on the belt rather than line up all of the factory TDC marks.
      50 Trim BT
      Build Thread

4. 06-18-2012 12:09 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by TooLFan46n2 View Post
      It has def seen better days and it wasn't pushed lightly. 18psi daily, I also have about 5 snapped off studs that hold the turbo mani to the head so she is going to get some TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by EURidahO View Post
      Good call on the stainless oil lines I can't believe the Kinetic kit used to come with silicone for them. You doing the timing belt/tensioner etc. too? Make sure to mark everything timing related as they come off. Makes it much easier upon reassembly to just line marks up on the belt rather than line up all of the factory TDC marks.
      Yea way back in the day they did. Its something that I had wanted to do for some time but just kept putting it off until now when I have it all apart, timing couldn't have been any better or sooner. as for the timing belt and tensioner yea it is all getting done with the manual tensioner kit from IE, I don't mind ling it all up, which probably would be doing anyhow.

Vehicles
      '04 R32, '15 Passat TDI, '03 1.8t GTI, '85 16v GTI
      06-18-2012 12:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by weenerdog3443 View Post
      Yea way back in the day they did. Its something that I had wanted to do for some time but just kept putting it off until now when I have it all apart,
      Yeah, I've got one of the older kits too. After about 20k miles or so I pulled the heat shielding off of the drain line and it had cooked into something with more of a PVC hardness
      50 Trim BT
      Build Thread

6. 06-18-2012 01:43 PM #6
      Also does anyone know the size of the studs or where to get them to replace the ones that hold the turbo to manifold and also the downpipe to turbo? they need replacing and I cant remember the sizing for them

7. 06-19-2012 12:51 PM #7
      Always an exciting day when I come into work to find a box on my desk all wrapped up in integrated tape

Last edited by weenerdog3443; 06-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.

8. 06-19-2012 02:20 PM #8
      You'll have so much fun once you crank it to 25psi!
      Pag Parts kit, PTE 5130, Brute rods, Eurodyne 630cc, Stg 2 water/meth, Pag Parts FMIC Kit with TT225 intake mani, Stage 3 Clutchnet n 17lb FW, 398whp @ 24psi

Vehicles
      Bagged -Big Turbo -MK4 and Slammed B6 A4 1.8TQ
      06-19-2012 02:25 PM #9
      wish i knew you were doing this i could have saved you some mulla... im a CTS Dealer...let me know if you need anything else bud

10. 06-19-2012 02:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by a4e3y5 View Post
      You'll have so much fun once you crank it to 25psi!
      This I cannot wait for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubed13 View Post
      wish i knew you were doing this i could have saved you some mulla... im a CTS Dealer...let me know if you need anything else bud
      The only other thing that I need is the fuel pump. after everything this week I have exhausted all my funds for a couple more weeks tho. You still have the same number mines changed?

11. 06-21-2012 05:45 PM #11
      Time for more pictures. Got a lot done today, pulled the head oil pan rods, honed the cylinders, pieced together the new rods n pistons. Removed almost all the exhaust mani studs. Pistons didn't look bad at all eexcept where you could see where they kissed the valves, no surprise there. Lemme know what you guys think or see anything out of ordinary.

12. 06-22-2012 01:34 PM #12
      one morfe pic for you guys. all the pistons got a little cleaning. all four of them had the lil kiss marks from the exhaust valves, my guess its from when my timing belt tensioner blew last year. no damage to the head, or bottom end, from what I could tell the stock rods looked straight but no pictures of them yet.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      06-22-2012 01:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TooLFan46n2 View Post
      this. i have almost 50k on mine. 22-23 psi daily i went BT @ 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by EURidahO View Post
      my line dint take long to go either. i still dont have a stainless linem but i have taken other measures to keep the heat out/off it

OP, when i pulled my intake mani recently my intake valves were clean like urs. big boost keeps those intake valves clean
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      06 a3; 05 gli; 93 fox
      06-22-2012 02:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by weenerdog3443 View Post
      Also does anyone know the size of the studs or where to get them to replace the ones that hold the turbo to manifold and also the downpipe to turbo? they need replacing and I cant remember the sizing for them
      ECS like $0.60/ea for mani studs (8x30)
      and like $15 for new downpipe hardware - studs(10x35), spacers, nuts and gasket
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii5-0
      never let a woman touch your car, it should have never been in the kitchen for her to touch

15. 06-22-2012 06:28 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      this. i have almost 50k on mine. 22-23 psi daily i went BT @ 130k miles

my line dint take long to go either. i still dont have a stainless linem but i have taken other measures to keep the heat out/off it

OP, when i pulled my intake mani recently my intake valves were clean like urs. big boost keeps those intake valves clean
      My first hoses went in months, this one I got from a supply store that specialized in doses and fittings and was way over rated for its use, prob why it lasted so long. As for the boost, yup that only premium gas, I've been having studdering problems but I am thinking that night have had to do with so many of the exhaust studs being blown and that gasket being in 13 pieces.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

16. 06-22-2012 10:52 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

17. 06-22-2012 11:28 PM #17
      Be sure and beat the balls off it during break-in.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

Vehicles
      06-23-2012 07:25 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

19. 06-23-2012 08:24 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      That will def be happening. Giving rides too..

Sent from my toilet

20. 06-23-2012 07:37 PM #20
      Well got the hardware for the manifold to head, had ordered the new turbo to mani studs and the ones for the downpipe to hot side of the turbo, which were to have arrived today the latest and they are not Herr. Does any one know the sizes of them I can source those easy in the morning.

On a better not the stainless hose for the oil drain line showed up which means minus the studs it will be getting put back together.

21. 06-24-2012 12:46 PM #21
      On my cts kit, with the gt3076 the hotside to o2pipe studs were the same as the stock ones (a tad longer) which i picked up at the dealership-idk if that goes for the 50 trim as well. As for the turbo to mani, you could try sourcing studs+nuts, or bolts from lowes/home depot-but be aware depending on what material they're made of they may not hold well because of the different expansion rates.

22. 06-24-2012 12:59 PM #22
      Got an ACE Hardware nearby? They usually have studs/locknuts on hand.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

Vehicles
      06-24-2012 04:45 PM #23
      Got an ACE Hardware nearby? They usually have studs/locknuts on hand.
      this is where i shop for my fasteners

24. 06-24-2012 09:28 PM #24
      wish it was running today, would have minus one freakign bolt. pissd me off good. got alot done tho rods are in that went smooth as butter, got the head all together minus one bolt that was busted I couldnt get removed. jusgt about got the one bolt drilled out and I was too tired for the night to do everything.

when I return to her everythign should be easy just slide the head in and the manual timing belt.

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 07:21 AM #25
      ^^^^ Nice Work!

26. 06-26-2012 11:19 PM #26
      Well again alot done today. head bolted ontiming done and started to fire up tonight. still had to put the hood on and intake tube.

When I first went to start her up I primed it, let the fuel pump do its thing, nd it took it a couple cranks before it started. when It finally first did fire up it sounded like the valves were hitting or something, I was sure i got the timing right hand canked it to be sure i didnt feel any resistance or hitting. I let it run for a couple seconds didnt change and shut it down. Fired it up a second time and started to sound normal but something still didnt sound right. was just too tired to mess with it anymore. till thurs

27. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      06-27-2012 12:02 AM #27
      sometimes the lifters need some time to pump up if the head has been off the car for awhile. Could be the cause of the noise at startup

28. 06-27-2012 09:33 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      sometimes the lifters need some time to pump up if the head has been off the car for awhile. Could be the cause of the noise at startup
      good deal. when I go down there tomorrow I will let her run a lil more and see if it does the same...heads been off for over a week so could be it

29. 06-28-2012 01:42 PM #29
      SHE LIVES!!!! still seems to be breaking a little at high boost and high RPM's going to try to take some logs

30. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      06-28-2012 06:30 PM #30
      If its breaking up at high boost make sure you are maintaining fuel pressure

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8 57trim
      06-28-2012 11:05 PM #31
      looks good nick! I'll be rebuilding my turbo here shortly and changing up the return line. Let me know if you need a hand on the weekends homie.
      "Hey you get off my cloud, See me get raw with my southpaw style" 3o1 KIDS Gonzo Tuning and EVAC
      57 trim garrett, hardparker, polished, garage slut, on Raderwerks.
      My Never Ending Build

32. 07-10-2012 09:16 AM #32
      Well she is getting better. just been fine tuning everything. Found out that I had a nasty flex pipe blow out. I have had the flex pipe on the car for years, It was one of the first couple when 42 Draft Designs first came out with there's. I later added the 42DD cat back to match it which is still in top shape. I called up 42 and spoke with John there. After some emails and talking about a week and a half later this beauty showed up on my desk yesterday morning. Big Thank you to John and the guys over there hat 42 Draft Designs.

33. Former Advertiser
      07-10-2012 09:30 AM #33
      Looking good

34. 07-10-2012 12:29 PM #34
      Glad to hear is coming along. John and 42 draft definitively rock...top notch products and service. Now, keep beating the crap out of the car he he he
      Pag Parts kit, PTE 5130, Brute rods, Eurodyne 630cc, Stg 2 water/meth, Pag Parts FMIC Kit with TT225 intake mani, Stage 3 Clutchnet n 17lb FW, 398whp @ 24psi

35. 07-11-2012 10:53 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Sales@R.A.I. Motorsport View Post
      Looking good
      Quote Originally Posted by a4e3y5 View Post
      Glad to hear is coming along. John and 42 draft definitively rock...top notch products and service. Now, keep beating the crap out of the car he he he
      Thanks fellas, Got the downpipe on yesterday. Let me tell you what a difference it is. It is so weird driving around and being able to hear yourself talk and think. The GF doesnt mind riding in it now, besides my driving.

and yes she will continue to get the crap beat out of here. I have only put 400 miles on since the rod install. Guess thats what I get for living only 2 miles from work, I run her up on the highway most days before coming in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast