Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 17 of 17

    Thread: HID LED replacement headlights buyer beware

    1. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      06-18-2012 12:44 PM #1
      Im posting this article to warn those would be buyers looking to purchase aftermarket headlights. It all started when I found this website advertising direct replacement LED headlights from a company named Wplamps.com. They seemed like a legit company even posting many photos of the headlights on an actual 2012 vw passat. The price seemed a bit pricy but the look was nice a representative named Michael contacted me and informed me of the components needed for the us version of the vw passat. The first email informing me of the delay was that he ran out of the product but should have a new production within a week. Well as you can expect I contacted Michael to find out the status, only to receive the expected good news bad news deal. He started off telling me the good news he had a new production of the headlights (now for the bad news) then he proceeded to to tell me but for the lights to work it requires a cable adapter to remap the pins to make it work with the us passat. Okay well I sent this person (Troy) an email only to be told he's still working on a solution soon and it will cost me 100 dollars. Well you can imagine how pissed I was after payment in full for a product that already exisited and was a suppose to be a direct replacement (as promoted by Wplamps). After that I've been trying to get in touch with Michael from Wplamps with several emails to find out the status or refund my money. Yes you guest it he hasn't replied back. I guess those headlights never exisited, next step is to contact PayPal and credit card company see if I can get my money back.

      I'm looking forward for a real true HID replacement headlights I'm sure a legit company will manufacture soon, so beware of companies from China promoting plug n play direct replacements I'm sure there will in the future.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      H-Town,TX
      Posts
      563
      06-18-2012 07:37 PM #2
      If you have not received a product yet then getting your money back should be easy, it should be pretty easy even if you got the product and you think they committed fraud in the process as your credit card will cover that.

    3. Member turboDSG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Diego, CA
      Posts
      359
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG
      06-18-2012 08:43 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Coolcrush View Post
      If you have not received a product yet then getting your money back should be easy, it should be pretty easy even if you got the product and you think they committed fraud in the process as your credit card will cover that.
      This is not really the case! I owned my own import / consumer electronics business for many years. I was bringing in $30,000-$100,000+ ( cost of goods) a month in custom branded products from china and wholesaling them to people that were selling to fry's, new egg, tiger direct, etc.

      I can tell you with great authority that buying goods from overseas in china is a whole different ball game and the rules of consumerism and enterprise we enjoy here don't apply. It is complex, risky and challenging which is why such successful brands would use me to source makers and bring it in rather than do it themselves for a % fee.

      You will have little to no recourse with your pay pal and credit card unfortunately. The best advice is to keep cool though and don't be disrespectful. It is hard to tell if they are a true OEM or a trading company; however, it's not advisable to buy from either without understanding how commerce works over there. These are not retailers and they aren't setup or in business to sell to end users. It's also not cost effective to buy 1 item from china because the freight offsets the value. On single items they charge close to retail and the freight costs 3 times more then the thing costs to make and package. Not to mention the risk when you don't know who you're dealing with.

      The fact that it needs an adapter and this was not found out before buying is the fault of the original poster, regardless of what they advertised. Once you buy over there.. you buy!! They sell so many markets and in many maybe it didn't need one.. Again, the rules are different over there. I have no doubt they will send you your product.

      If you are cool and reason with them about bad feedback and possible paypal complaint.. tell them this is more complex than advertised.. you don't want the product just a refund. They may just do it, but it is kind of at their discretion.
      Last edited by turboDSG; 06-19-2012 at 03:21 AM.
      2014 GLI
      2012 Passat
      2009 GLI
      2005 WRX
      2002 Sentra SER Spec V

    4. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      08-27-2012 12:30 AM #4
      So Michael why so quite your lights have been confirmed as not working and according to Paypal your company is being remove as a vendor. All this talk about you lights is a bunch of crap. You have done nothing but establish you are nothing but a crook. Your reputation is also crap and as far as Wplamps.com goes they are crap too just for having someone like you in the company. You gave me the bull**** one too many times, I gave you the benefit of of proving yourself and you just demonstrated what a **** you really are a slug. I will be getting my money back from PayPal. You done nothing but tarnish your company and yourself. I will be creating a Facebook page to track companies as yourself and to monitor if your company changes it's name for future buyers from getting scammed by people like you and companies such as yours. Let this be a warning for those seeking products from China, be careful it could take months before you may see your money and if to consider buying anything make sure it's a legit company. Believe me I heard the rumors of Wplamps.com providing headlights to a Subaru group but what you didn't know Michael had nothing to do with it. Beware of this guy Michael and check the forums you find he's had similar situations with other people. Don't DEAL WITH THIS GUY

    5. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      08-27-2012 12:35 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      This is not really the case! I owned my own import / consumer electronics business for many years. I was bringing in $30,000-$100,000+ ( cost of goods) a month in custom branded products from china and wholesaling them to people that were selling to fry's, new egg, tiger direct, etc.

      I can tell you with great authority that buying goods from overseas in china is a whole different ball game and the rules of consumerism and enterprise we enjoy here don't apply. It is complex, risky and challenging which is why such successful brands would use me to source makers and bring it in rather than do it themselves for a % fee.

      You will have little to no recourse with your pay pal and credit card unfortunately. The best advice is to keep cool though and don't be disrespectful. It is hard to tell if they are a true OEM or a trading company; however, it's not advisable to buy from either without understanding how commerce works over there. These are not retailers and they aren't setup or in business to sell to end users. It's also not cost effective to buy 1 item from china because the freight offsets the value. On single items they charge close to retail and the freight costs 3 times more then the thing costs to make and package. Not to mention the risk when you don't know who you're dealing with.

      The fact that it needs an adapter and this was not found out before buying is the fault of the original poster, regardless of what they advertised. Once you buy over there.. you buy!! They sell so many markets and in many maybe it didn't need one.. Again, the rules are different over there. I have no doubt they will send you your product.

      If you are cool and reason with them about bad feedback and possible paypal complaint.. tell them this is more complex than advertised.. you don't want the product just a refund. They may just do it, but it is kind of at their discretion.
      I'm sure there are many Legit companies in China I personally delt with some for computer components and hobby rc boats and planes. I'm just talking about a specifi person that keeps trying to convince people his product works.

      I did get my money back but I'm actively monitoring Michael and his company Wplamps.com

    6. 08-30-2012 02:30 AM #6
      Are these the same LED headlights that are on eBay?

    7. Member turboDSG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Diego, CA
      Posts
      359
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG
      08-30-2012 02:51 AM #7
      That is pretty legit you got your money back. Like I said, 99% of the time that doesn't happen. The fact they worked with you and gave you your money back shows great company honor and you are incredibly lucky to have found a true manufacturer who has a reputation to uphold and not some fly by night asian trading company. When you go overseas and buy a product from a manufacturer the responsibility to make sure it will work is on you, not them. The fact is they probably work perfectly on their own market VW passat.

      Again, they are there to mass produce items to specs given by the buyer, not sell one or two pieces a time to people in foreign markets. Not a retailer..

      If you understood what it took to make it plug and play they could happily and easily churn them out for you.
      2014 GLI
      2012 Passat
      2009 GLI
      2005 WRX
      2002 Sentra SER Spec V

    8. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      08-30-2012 08:51 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      That is pretty legit you got your money back. Like I said, 99% of the time that doesn't happen. The fact they worked with you and gave you your money back shows great company honor and you are incredibly lucky to have found a true manufacturer who has a reputation to uphold and not some fly by night asian trading company. When you go overseas and buy a product from a manufacturer the responsibility to make sure it will work is on you, not them. The fact is they probably work perfectly on their own market VW passat.

      Again, they are there to mass produce items to specs given by the buyer, not sell one or two pieces a time to people in foreign markets. Not a retailer..

      If you understood what it took to make it plug and play they could happily and easily churn them out for you.
      A few corrections first I did not get my money back from Wplamps I had to go to Paypal directly, plus my credit card company. As far as Wplamps and Michael my issues was they never should taken my money if the product was not ready, many companies have r&d departments that test their products before releasing to the public regardless of its a large order for a distributor or a single order for an individual. Our buyers market has become international due to technologies of our society if a company plans to compete in today's market they should provide products that do work according their specs. Advertising a product that's suppose to be plug n play means you take the original out and simply replace with the aftermarket replacement. That was not the case with Wplamps and as far as what it takes to develop a product I do understand I work for a company which sells data we spend hundreds of hours cleaning and verify our data is correct as possible even with the new laws of privacy. If I did the same to our customer as what Wplamps has done to me and many others I would be out of business in less than a year.

      I'm a true believer in doing the right thing Wplamps did not represent themselves as a legit company because their product was not ready, but still continued to sell it,s headlights as a plug n play solution for the market. This is not the case, I'm sure they sell many other products but how could you trust a company on its other products when they lie about products working when they do not.

      Michael even put his foot in his mouth when a customer called Paypal and complained the lights didn't work and never returned the lights well I totally understand that man he felt ripped off. So tell me now about doing business with this legit company. Think about it?

    9. Member turboDSG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Diego, CA
      Posts
      359
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG
      08-30-2012 09:24 AM #9
      I did not see the part about pay pal vs the company giving a refund so I'll stand corrected on that.

      The rest of my sentiments I'll stand by though. There is about 1- 2 % of the population that should be buying goods that way. I would side with you if this happened when buying a production sample or something you gave exact spec to and they failed.. You are not getting any discount with one piece and the freight is very expensive, nor is it worth the risk. How do you really know? How can you prove it's what they say over there? You took a foolish risk and you are just as lucky you got a refund from paypal.

      I'm not saying overseas companies have the right to do sketchy things or rip people off. My point is commerce for the end user is not quite as globalized as you are eluding to. People aren't contacting foxconn to buy iphones. There is still a process of distribution in place.

      Honestly I could care less about wplamps and they might really suck at what they do. My point is that it should be buyer beware, don't go buying things from places and or getting into things you shouldn't and then expect to be taken care of.

      Again, you took a big risk.. in my opinion one not worth it, but that is up to you. If you are playing with fire you better be ready to get burned... and not cry about it. You have the right to buy something and not be deceptively advertised to in the USA. You do not have that right in china.
      2014 GLI
      2012 Passat
      2009 GLI
      2005 WRX
      2002 Sentra SER Spec V

    10. 08-30-2012 02:43 PM #10
      Stories like this is why I didnt go the ship from China route, I'll wait till we get a US distributor and when all the wiring for the B7/NMS Passats have been figured out.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      H-Town,TX
      Posts
      563
      08-30-2012 07:01 PM #11
      Feel sorry for you guys but my likes work perfectly.

    12. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      08-31-2012 01:44 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Coolcrush View Post
      Feel sorry for you guys but my likes work perfectly.
      Hey Coolcrush

      I understand u got yours to work but you had to use a VAG application to modify the setting that is not a plug and play situation.

    13. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      08-31-2012 01:51 AM #13
      Hi TCM

      Yes they are the ones in question. Coolcrush got his to work but he had to change the computer setting by using a VAG application. (this could void the warranty )

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2012
      Location
      San Jose
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      09-18-2012 05:47 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by RalphsVW View Post
      Hi TCM

      Yes they are the ones in question. Coolcrush got his to work but he had to change the computer setting by using a VAG application. (this could void the warranty )
      Why are you so obsessed with this VAG COM/VCDS issue as a deterrent? You know the so called OEM lights require a recode too, right? To my understanding, folks just need to modify the voltage to eliminate the bulb out warnings from the computer. If you're rationalizing because your lights didn't work out, that's one thing, but if you think vcds mods are prohibitive, I fear you're in the wrong place.

      I personally finally felt that the lights were in a good place and ordered a set. I've just moved, so I don't even know if I'll be in a sane environment to install them this month, but I'll follow up on the forum when I do.

    15. Semi-n00b RalphsVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      09-21-2012 02:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Why are you so obsessed with this VAG COM/VCDS issue as a deterrent? You know the so called OEM lights require a recode too, right? To my understanding, folks just need to modify the voltage to eliminate the bulb out warnings from the computer. If you're rationalizing because your lights didn't work out, that's one thing, but if you think vcds mods are prohibitive, I fear you're in the wrong place.

      I personally finally felt that the lights were in a good place and ordered a set. I've just moved, so I don't even know if I'll be in a sane environment to install them this month, but I'll follow up on the forum when I do.

      The only reason for the negative feeling on the VAG is that it’s an excuse for VW to void your warranty. I personally am considering some of these computer changes for the rain sensor and windows closing if the rain sensor detects water. Some of these changes can actually be done by some dealerships as far as the lights goes please keep us posted on how hard the installation was and the quality of light projection.

      Please understand I have no personal feelings for wplamps.com I may have had a bad experience with a specific representative which I felt was grossly mishandle I do like the lights just wished they worked as advertised over 6 months ago. Best of luck I'm sure your car will look great once installed.

      I will be searching for these retro fitted projector headlights I see there are a few companies doing this. Once I complete my research I will post the links. Best of luck to all!

    16. 09-21-2012 02:58 PM #16
      I wouldnt worry to much about the VAg killing the warranty. At this point, the VAG (just like computers on other cars nowadays) trackes everything... so if you even think you can get away with switching to LED bulbs without them being able to figure it out, you are wrong.

      So either accept some risk by modding, or keep it stock.

      Here is a true story for you all, my sister in law has a 2008 Mercedes E350, she bought it Certified pre owned which comes with roadside assistance. The battery went dead on her about 1 yr ago... the sent a guy over to replace it. He plugs into the computer, and the guy says,

      "well.... the battery is 3 yrs old, but I also see that on 22 different instances, you have left the parking lights on for 3-5 minutes while the vehicle is off... that can cause some damage, but no worries, we will replace"

      When she drops the kids off at school, she had a tendency of doing exactly that, leaving the car off, with parking lights on.... HAHAHA, They are watching!!!

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      H-Town,TX
      Posts
      563
      09-21-2012 03:31 PM #17
      VW would not have reason to dig into the computer unless they have some kind of issue you are trying to get fixed. I am confused as to why anyone would ever let them know they modified anything on the computer. It would be like getting chipped and then walking into the dealer and telling them. I anyone asked me about the lights and whats was done I would simply say just switched them out story over.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •