Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: Music from iPhone in TTRS

    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-18-2012 04:31 PM #1
      So, after a bunch of searching here, and via Google, I'm still not clear on my options.

      I ordered the Tech package with my (US) TTRS, so I have the iPod cable. My understanding is that the iPod cable replaces the Aux cable. So, it's an either/or situation. And the Nav/MMI doesn't support Bluetooth A2DP, so on hand-free voice calls from the iPhone..

      If I wanted to listen to music from the iPhone and be able to control everything from the iPhone's screen (not a fan of most integrated iPod controls), my best choice would be to go with the Aux cable instead of the iPod cable, and snake that out the glove box and connect it to the headphone jack on my iPhone (or a 30-pin adapter). I plan on getting a ProClip mount for the iPhone.

      Thoughts on this? Any other ideas?

    2. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      583
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      06-18-2012 05:05 PM #2
      This is what you need, the Kanex AirBlue Portable Bluetooth Music Receiver. It takes the mini-jack Aux connection and makes it bluetooth. I have two of these, one for each car. Battery time is good, will last about 6 hours of play time.

      Kanex AirBlue


    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-18-2012 05:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      This is what you need, the Kanex AirBlue Portable Bluetooth Music Receiver. It takes the mini-jack Aux connection and makes it bluetooth. I have two of these, one for each car. Battery time is good, will last about 6 hours of play time.

      Kanex AirBlue
      Ooh. That could work out pretty well. I would imagine that you can connect the AirBlue to the Aux port via a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable, and then run power from a USB car adapter to it via a USB-to-mini USB cable. And the whole thing might be able to live in the glove box.

    4. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      583
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      06-18-2012 06:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by nomaded View Post
      I would imagine that you can connect the AirBlue to the Aux port via a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable, and then run power from a USB car adapter to it via a USB-to-mini USB cable. And the whole thing might be able to live in the glove box.
      Exactly! I didn't think of running USB power to it for a permanent solution - that's a good idea!

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,056
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      06-19-2012 02:34 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      This is what you need, the Kanex AirBlue Portable Bluetooth Music Receiver. It takes the mini-jack Aux connection and makes it bluetooth. I have two of these, one for each car. Battery time is good, will last about 6 hours of play time.

      Kanex AirBlue

      Would those of us with the tech package have to remove the iPod cable and replace it with the Aux in to get this to work?
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      316
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      06-19-2012 04:19 AM #6
      any idea if this will work for the standard symphony system ( 6 cd changer deck)
      havent really looked for an aux in port ...
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

    7. 06-19-2012 05:54 AM #7
      Every car even with the iPod connect inside the glove box has a aux in. It's located behind the handbrake.
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

    8. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      583
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      06-19-2012 10:27 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Would those of us with the tech package have to remove the iPod cable and replace it with the Aux in to get this to work?
      Yes. You will need a MMI - AUX cable.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2012
      Location
      Jensen Beach, FL
      Posts
      186
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT RS
      06-19-2012 11:15 AM #9
      I ordered the tech package also. I was under the impression I could stream my iphone music to the car system via bluetooth? Is that not the case?

    10. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      583
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      06-19-2012 01:15 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by southpole12 View Post
      I ordered the tech package also. I was under the impression I could stream my iphone music to the car system via bluetooth? Is that not the case?
      The TT-RS with tech package comes with bluetooth for hands free calls built in. It does not support bluetooth audio streaming. For this, you need an MMI Aux cable and the above bluetooth adapter.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2012
      Location
      Jensen Beach, FL
      Posts
      186
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT RS
      06-19-2012 01:29 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      The TT-RS with tech package comes with bluetooth for hands free calls built in. It does not support bluetooth audio streaming. For this, you need an MMI Aux cable and the above bluetooth adapter.
      Thanks for letting me know. That really sucks though my 18k scion xb has calls and music streaming built in. That kinda pisses me off lol.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,056
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      06-19-2012 02:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Poverty View Post
      Every car even with the iPod connect inside the glove box has a aux in. It's located behind the handbrake.
      Really? I'll have to look around for this.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-19-2012 03:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Really? I'll have to look around for this.
      My understanding is that the Aux jack was behind the handbrake on the older models, before the AMI (Audi Music Interface) was introduced. With AMI, everything is in the glove box. If you want an Aux jack, you hook up the Aux cable. If you want the iPod connector, you hooked up the iPod cable. You can't have both.

      The radio/nav/MMI system is fairly old, in terms of such tech, so there is no support for Bluetooth A2DP, for audio streaming.

      I could be completely wrong about all this. I'm totally new to the mk2 models, so I've been doing a lot of reading, since finalizing the paperwork on the RS. The mk1 had completely different choices.

    14. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-19-2012 03:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      any idea if this will work for the standard symphony system ( 6 cd changer deck)
      havent really looked for an aux in port ...
      Well, the window sticker for the RS lists the Aux input jack as standard equipment. I would expect that without the Tech package, you'd have the Aux cable in the glove box. The Tech package just includes the $80 iPod cable.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      316
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      06-21-2012 05:46 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by nomaded View Post
      Well, the window sticker for the RS lists the Aux input jack as standard equipment. I would expect that without the Tech package, you'd have the Aux cable in the glove box. The Tech package just includes the $80 iPod cable.
      Found it!

      Its kinda hidden in plain site.... Aux Cable behind and to right of handbrake, mounted vertically and flush on the rear facing lip of the little open cubby...

      ( at least on Canadian, non-Tech Package TTRS builds...)
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

    16. Member J662's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2011
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      445
      Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      06-21-2012 11:00 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      Found it!

      Its kinda hidden in plain site.... Aux Cable behind and to right of handbrake, mounted vertically and flush on the rear facing lip of the little open cubby...

      ( at least on Canadian, non-Tech Package TTRS builds...)
      That aux port is blocked off with a plastic plate on my rs. Prob because I have nav/mmi so the did away with it.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    17. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-21-2012 02:25 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      That aux port is blocked off with a plastic plate on my rs. Prob because I have nav/mmi so the did away with it.
      Ooh. Any idea if it's active and usable? If it's usable, it would certainly simplify my plans.
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS, Tech pkg, heated seats, spoiler delete
      2002 Avus Silver ALMS TT (will be missed)

    18. Member J662's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2011
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      445
      Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      06-21-2012 05:53 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by nomaded View Post
      Ooh. Any idea if it's active and usable? If it's usable, it would certainly simplify my plans.
      That's a good question but my guess is no, it's not active. Wouldn't make sense for them to wire it but then leave out the port.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    19. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2012
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS
      06-28-2012 04:00 PM #19
      So, this is what I have come up with for getting music from my iPhone, while charging at the same time.

      I have a ProClip mount, on the right side of the center console for $70 before shipping. I bought a 3rd party AMI to 3.5mm aux jack cable from Amazon for $30. I also bought a iPhone 2-in-1 Audio and Sync Cable for $7 to provide the 30-pin adapter and line-out from the iPhone.

      The sync cable connects to a USB to cigarette lighter adapter to provide power. I use the 12V port that's behind the e-brake. And the 3.5mm end is connected to the AMI cable via a 3.5mm coupler. I hit the "Media" button on the MMI/RSN-E to select the aux-in, and now I can control my music from the iPhone.

      It's not "clean" or "professional looking" because I have a wire running out of the glove box, along the right side of the center console, but it gives me the level of access and control that I want. I could probably try tucking in some of these cables into the center console to make it cleaner.

      I'll try to post of photos a little later.
      2012 Monza Silver TT RS, Tech pkg, heated seats, spoiler delete
      2002 Avus Silver ALMS TT (will be missed)

    20. Senior Member Jman5000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 1999
      Location
      Columbus Ohio
      Posts
      30,889
      Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      07-08-2012 09:34 AM #20
      The 2Point5 SpecDock offers a lot of levels of integration.

      I kept mine simple and just RCA-to-headphone and I run it through the AUX connection. It charges too. You do have screen control, but it's more "undock, do what you need, and then dock it" than anything else.


    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      316
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      07-08-2012 04:13 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jman5000 View Post
      The 2Point5 SpecDock offers a lot of levels of integration.

      I kept mine simple and just RCA-to-headphone and I run it through the AUX connection. It charges too. You do have screen control, but it's more "undock, do what you need, and then dock it" than anything else.

      wow that looks slick, did you get that made custom or just do some minor dremel work yourself?
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •