Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recommend a tripod

1. 06-19-2012 02:08 PM #1
      Looking for something generally portable on a backpack able to hold a DSLR with small to moderate lense (i.e. no massive, heavy lenses). I'll be off to my honeymoon in Hawaii soon and this will really come in handy. TIA

06-19-2012 06:42 PM #2
      Without a max price, we can no help. Tripod quality, unlike most other things, almost always determines quality (especially in the build and weight department). A quality, lightweight tripod will set you back a few hundred. Unfortunately, throwing in those two requirements makes a tripod expensive, otherwise you have to choose one or the other (quality -vs- lightweight).

Quality:
      - Cheap: Heavy but stable or light but unstable.
      - Expensive: Heavy or Light and able to hold heavy DSLR+Lens combos, stable, etc.

Lightweight:
      - Cheap: Horrible quality plastic making it unstable with crappy leg controls (that slip or are difficult to use).
      - Expensive: Carbon Fiber (or other exotic material) that remains stable.

My favorite lightweight + quality tripod is a Gitzo (I have two of them, one larger, one smaller).
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

3. 06-19-2012 09:05 PM #3
      I have this; Oben 1410 Aluminum Tripod with Ball Head and it serves my purposes perfectly.

Sturdy, light, nice enough ball head to support my gripped D90, and collapses to 21" so it fits in my carry on luggage, and all for $120.

Could not be happier and recommend it enough
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

Vehicles
      2002/VW/Jetta 24V VR6
      06-20-2012 12:24 PM #4
      I recommend one with three legs.

5. Member
      06-20-2012 01:06 PM #5
      I have a Dolica and hit handles my D300 w/grip, flash, and any lens with no issues. I think it was like $50.

6. 06-20-2012 01:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by keystervr6 View Post
      I recommend one with three legs.
      funny cause i reccommend one with 1 leg.

monopods are much lighter and awesome!
      http://awwsheeet.com
      Boys will be boys!
      Good or Bad comments?, I dont care just keep talking about it.

06-20-2012 01:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ohsnappe2 View Post
      funny cause i reccommend one with 1 leg.

monopods are much lighter and awesome!
      I have a couple monopods, but can't remember the last time I used them. They were great to hold extremely heavy lenses (ie, 300/400L) but I rarely use those lenses anymore. Plus, the OP said he's going on a honeymoon in Hawaii, I'm assuming he'll be wanting to take some longer exposures of the landscape (during golden hours) and he'll need 3 legs to truly stabilize the camera.

Otherwise, a monopod is a great addition to your gear.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      A really slow Jetta
      06-20-2012 02:33 PM #8
      I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 488RC2 ball head. It set me back around $300 but it was worth it. Packable? Definitely in your luggage, but it might be hard to keep it in a carry on. Have a great time in Hawaii.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      06-20-2012 03:27 PM #9
      I have a Manfrotto 7322CY Carbon Fiber tripod. It is super light, compact and has a ball head. I love it.

Pic for collapsed size reference. It just fits in my Manfrotto Veloce Vii backpack:

10. 06-21-2012 07:41 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Ohwiehm View Post
      I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 488RC2 ball head. It set me back around $300 but it was worth it. Packable? Definitely in your luggage, but it might be hard to keep it in a carry on. Have a great time in Hawaii.
      I think I have this exact same one.

06-21-2012 10:16 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ohwiehm View Post
      One of my assistants has this one (I think, if not, it's very similar) and she loves it.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

12. 06-21-2012 10:28 AM #12
      Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I never really set a budget as I'll spend what it takes to get a quality tripod that meets the requirements of a novice shooter. I ballparked the $100 to $300 range. I'll take a look into all the recommendations.

Vehicles
      '11 Kia Optima LX, '09 Mazda5 GT
      06-21-2012 01:16 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by peoples_car View Post
      I have this; Oben 1410 Aluminum Tripod with Ball Head and it serves my purposes perfectly.

Sturdy, light, nice enough ball head to support my gripped D90, and collapses to 21" so it fits in my carry on luggage, and all for $120.

Could not be happier and recommend it enough
      Wow, that's a pretty nice set up for $120.
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Craigslist
      I GOT A DODGE TALE GAET NO ROTE ON RUST ON IT ASKING $150.00

14. 06-21-2012 04:45 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by peoples_car

Could not be happier and recommend it enough.
      Pulled the trigger on this. Seems like great performance for the money. Great recommendation

15. 06-21-2012 04:51 PM #15
      For really small and light, I can recommend the Manfrotto MKC3-H01. It's only around 60" tall and isn't suitable for really large lenses, but has been stable enough for me to get some HDR images in windy situations. I don't think I'd trust it for really long exposures over one minute though, at least not at maximum height. The pistol grip head makes setup very quick too, not good for panos tho.

http://www.manfrotto.us/compact-5-se...eo-kit-with-qr

Sample HDR images taken using this tripod:

Entrance to the Walt Disney Concert Hall by Manila Vanila, on Flickr

Coat Hanger at Night by Manila Vanila, on Flickr
      Last edited by Dirtistasty2; 06-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.

16. 06-21-2012 06:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by remedyzrider View Post
      Pulled the trigger on this. Seems like great performance for the money. Great recommendation
      Glad I could help
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

Vehicles
      Golf 02
      06-25-2012 10:40 AM #17
      I also have the CF Manfrotto tripod. It,s the best in my book. I have an Acratech head. Damn good quality.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      06-25-2012 03:42 PM #18
      I use the 547b Manfrotto legs with a 701HDV video head

But then again, I shoot video

Vehicles
      Mk2 16v Coupe, XB RS7.0, 2002 Axiom
      08-03-2012 03:04 PM #19

20. 08-03-2012 03:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post

But then again, I shoot video
      I use a video head and shoot stills, I strongly believe they are the best heads to use for precise yet not painfully slow adjustments. Especially with larger cameras.

08-06-2012 03:59 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by yel0wsn0 View Post
      I use a video head and shoot stills, I strongly believe they are the best heads to use for precise yet not painfully slow adjustments. Especially with larger cameras.
      What about portrait orientation
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

22. 08-06-2012 04:26 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post
      What about portrait orientation
      Rotating backs

In all seriousness, the times I use my tripod are slim to none. I much prefer Tri-X pushed to 1600 and shoot handheld. If I do some tripod work in a studio it will be with a MF/LF camera and rotating backs are available.

Finally It is possible to do a portrait orientation... it's just a pain