Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, technically she runs.

1. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1991 VW Cabriolet (2.0L 8v 5-spd); 2000 Honda Civic CX (1.7L 16v 5-spd)
      08-25-2012 02:52 AM #36
      Hello again vwvortexers. It's been a while...

Checked out the head I'm using with a straight edge and feeler gauge... book says maximum warpage should not exceed .3mm ... warpage slightly exceeds .3mm.

I suppose it's time to talk to a machinist about getting it milled and surfaced.

The engine block itself is perfect. Presumably the newer head is in better shape a but once I got the car running earlier this summer, I sold the intake manifold that fits on that one. Plus there are other modifications that would need to be done; It might not fit right in the engine bay, I would need a new cold air intake, I'd have to figure out the wiring and all that... the reason I'm using the old head in the first place. Right now, machining it seems like the way to go.

Would I also have to replace and re-bore and re-seat all the valves and a bunch of other pain in the arse sorta-expensive stuff in which case... IT NEVER ENDS!! JUST LET ME DRIVE THE DAMN THING!!!

pics a-comin'
      "The ultimate testís always your own serenity. If the machine produces tranquility itís right. If it disturbs you itís wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      08-25-2012 10:38 AM #37
      I just read through the complete thread finally and wish you luck with her. This ABA/JH hybrid swap is something I'd like to do (eventually, once I recover from my layoff, etc. lol) and the write-up I've studied most is from a few years ago: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...+ABA+Cabriolet. I assume you've likely encountered it while researching...? If not, perhaps it will help with some things, even if not identical to your current set-up (head gasket, etc.).

I can relate all too well with working on a tight budget but once you get your coolant/oil mixture issues resolved, why not replace that throttle cable and grommet? I put up with a jury-rigged pedal for a couple of years and it always seemed to fail at the worst possible times... Got mine from GAP: http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...et/Engine/42/1. Excellent supplier/service and I've always been surprised by how fast they get their orders shipped out. If you order something small (just the grommet, for instance), call them and see if they'll mail it instead of using UPS to save yourself a wee bit for shipping...

While on the subject of parts suppliers and buying online, I've saved a LOT buying online but I am also a wary shopper. When it comes to eBay, I am usually only buying non-mechanical, used/NOS (new-old-stock) items. Ever since eBay changed their seller rating system, I've been even less trusting since it can be an even greater challenge to research those buyers that repeatedly bend others over. Amongst the few I have dealt with repeatedly with excellent results, though:

Ben/moogie: http://stores.ebay.com/mk1autohaus (all sorts of NOS parts that are frequently hard to find)
      strategic-one: http://stores.ebay.com/vwcabbyshack (frequently has many good used parts/trim/etc.)

For new parts, Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/... a non-support supplier so be sure of what you are obtaining first. Excellent service, even on returns, though.) and AutohausAZ (http://www.autohausaz.com/) have been my major sources in addition to GAP. Brian has good points regarding his thoughts on warranty returns to local suppliers which do come into play when I decide whether to buy locally or online, but when I do order online, I find that I usually save quite a bit over buying locally, even after shipping costs.

I'll reiterate the comments regarding hose clamps, as well. I've been slowly but surely getting rid of every single screw-clamp I've found in my engine bay, no matter how hard they are to access. The spring-clamps only make sense, considering they will adjust automatically as a hose ages and with normal seasonal expansion/contraction. Get the proper pliers for them and save yourself the potential headaches of having to retighten screw-clamps and/or replacing cracked flanges. I used to hate 'em, too, until this finally dawned on me a number of years ago. I'm amongst those that would rather do it right the first time instead of returning ten times for continual correction...

Just my two-cents, even if not a direct solution to some of the issues you're experiencing now (feel free to circular file anything that is rhetorical... lol). Hope it helps in some fashion and good luck with her {fingers crossed}.
      Last edited by native-texan_in_tn; 08-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

3. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-02-2012 06:12 PM #38
      Just a few cosmetic updates for now... that emblem's looking a little tarnished

"The ultimate testís always your own serenity. If the machine produces tranquility itís right. If it disturbs you itís wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw cabriolet automatic with a/c
      09-04-2012 02:05 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithavdubengine View Post
      Good to know. I guess it will work either way. The flow problem was probably from using old head bolts and the pressure leaking out the cylinders. Update soon.
      very nice, glad it's working again

5. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-16-2012 08:57 PM #40
      Boy, am I ready to get this thing back on the road.

Had the head re-surfaced. Nice and clean.

I rebuilt the water pump.

These fuel injector bushings had to go. Two of them twisted out, but the other two were melted in place and I had to chip them out. That's done, but now I'm having trouble finding the replacement parts. The O'Reilley's employees didn't know what I was talking about, and I couldn't find them on GermanAutoPArts. I don't even know exactly what they're called. Fuel injector seal threaded insert bushings? Anyone have a link?

Thanks for all the support! This beast will be running soon!!
      Last edited by inlovewithavdubengine; 10-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.

6. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-25-2013 05:03 PM #41
      Hey everyone...

My (never-ending) cabriolet project has been on hold for the past few months, been driving the Honda to work and school but now that the weather is nice again I've been itching to get the old VW back together.

Right now I have a box of new parts and other than putting it all back together, there are only one or two things left to do...

First of all, I still need some of these fuel injector seals:
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...olet/Fuel/93/2

buuut... will I need extra O-rings? It says on the description that it comes includes an O-ring, but on the O-ring description:
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...olet/Fuel/94/2
      it says I need two per injector. So.. one below the holder and one above? Anyone know for sure exactly what's needed here? I don't want to install it wrong but I also don't want to order more parts than I need.

Number two... re-seating the valves after the head was machined? Any thoughts on that? I've gotten the impression that it's absolutely necessary, and a machine shop is the best place to do it, but will I need to order more parts for that?

Also... do you think I'll need new piston rings after what happened with water leaking into the cylinders? I really hope the answer is "no" because I certainly don't want to start everything over from scratch. Then again if the rings are no good I'll REALLY have to start over from scratch. Is there a good way to test the compression before I put the head back on?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      03-25-2013 09:16 PM #42
      napaonline all 8 o-rings for 7.29 dollars.
      Fuel Injector Seal Kit
      Part Number: CRB 212087

You usually don't need the injector inserts Unless you are having issues seating the injectors

for the compression you have to have the head installed, then take dry / wet readings. Dry means no oil in the cylinder wet means a couple of squirts of oil on top of the piston...
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

8. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-01-2014 07:25 AM #43
      Update; March 2014
      Hello again everyone!

Well, my Cabriolet has more or less been collecting dust in the garage at my mom's for the past year or so....

So I'm back in town and I'm set on getting it running again ASAP. All of the parts are here, including...

...A totally refurbished valve head. This is the original 2H head, it's been milled/re-surfaced underneath, the spark plug ports have been re-threaded, the fuel injector seals have been replaced, and the valves have been re-seated. Nothing stopping me now!!

.....aaaaaaand the first bump in the road: apparently I ordered the wrong Valve Cover Gasket, or they sent me the wrong one, or something.

Anyway, I ended up with the one-piece rubber gasket with the metal rings that don't sit right on the shouldered studs, and I don't have a set of shoulderless studs sitting around, either. Should I really replace them? It seems like a prime oppurtunity to once again strip the heck out of some aluminum threads by messing with perfectly fine steel studs that have been at home there for 23 years. Might be cheaper and safer just to order a new cork one for $5 + Shipping. Sigh. Could I just take those little metal brads out of the gasket or something?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      03-01-2014 07:55 AM #44
      Just a few cosmetic updates for now... that emblem's looking a little tarnished

Just had to spray your balls Gold did you....

I suppose copying is the sincerest form of flattery..... Besides Gold balls attract the strangest folks at a meet and greet.

Where are my grounds ?

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      03-01-2014 12:07 PM #45
      Update; March 2014

Anyway, I ended up with the one-piece rubber gasket with the metal rings that don't sit right on the shouldered studs, and I don't have a set of shoulderless studs sitting around, either. Should I really replace them? It seems like a prime oppurtunity to once again strip the heck out of some aluminum threads by messing with perfectly fine steel studs that have been at home there for 23 years. Might be cheaper and safer just to order a new cork one for $5 + Shipping. Sigh. Could I just take those little metal brads out of the gasket or something?
      Either get the shoulderless studs, use penetrating oil (like PB Blaster), and replace the existing studs... or get the 3-piece cork gasket set. You cannot use the original studs with a rubber gasket, and trying to remove the metal washers out of the gasket could deform the rubber... both of which can lead to leaks.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      03-01-2014 02:36 PM #46
      To remove the studs place a washer over the stud so that it is flat against the head.
      Take a small pair of Vice-Grips and clamp them as tight as you can on top of the washer.
      Smack the hammer with a hammer to loosen. The washer prevent scratching the head face.

Where are my grounds ?

12. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-26-2014 08:25 PM #47
      After like 2 weeks of waiting, the last few parts came in!
      I have free time to get to wrenchin', too!
      Torqued down the head! Yes! Everything is coming together beautifully. No problems. It all lines up. Wires fit. Harnesses fit. Hoses fit. Gaskets sealed. Bolts torqued. No stripped threads. If I can get a friend to come by and help with the timing, the VW will finally be running sometime this week. Now; to plug in the last wire.

Huh. The exhaust sensor wire, I suppose? Where is that thing anyway?

[feels around back of engine]

photo ohgoddamnit_zpsc5dd05df.jpg
      Oh, there it is. Inside of cylinder #3.

Uh.....

Apparently while lining up the heavy-arsed, slippery-arsed head assembly with the engine block, that wire found its way inside the engine. Annnnnnnnnnd then I torqued it down.

Pulled the head back off, 20 minutes after fully torquing it down. Guess that's another $30 gasket and ten x $10 bolts I won't be needing anymore. Gasket's destroyed. Sensor wire insulators are smashed up pretty good but the wires appear to be intact and luckily (?) the plug seems to be intact. :frown:

Dear reader, I do hope at the very least that you are enjoying the entertainment value of the downright Sisyphean task of reviving my beloved '91 Cabriolet. I know I'm trying to.

In spite of everything, I still have a good time working on this damn thing and every hurdle feels like I'm gaining "experience points." Why else would I continue? A saner man would have rolled this old bitch basket out to the street and set it on fire by this point.

Anyone else ever have this much disappointment/trouble/bad luck refurbishing an engine, or is this my punishment for having slighted the Volkswagen gods?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      03-27-2014 06:33 AM #48
      After like 2 weeks of waiting, the last few parts came in!
      I have free time to get to wrenchin', too!
      Torqued down the head! Yes! Everything is coming together beautifully. No problems. It all lines up. Wires fit. Harnesses fit. Hoses fit. Gaskets sealed. Bolts torqued. No stripped threads. If I can get a friend to come by and help with the timing, the VW will finally be running sometime this week. Now; to plug in the last wire.

Huh. The exhaust sensor wire, I suppose? Where is that thing anyway?

[feels around back of engine]

photo ohgoddamnit_zpsc5dd05df.jpg
      Oh, there it is. Inside of cylinder #3.

Uh.....

Apparently while lining up the heavy-arsed, slippery-arsed head assembly with the engine block, that wire found its way inside the engine. Annnnnnnnnnd then I torqued it down.

Pulled the head back off, 20 minutes after fully torquing it down. Guess that's another $30 gasket and ten x $10 bolts I won't be needing anymore. Gasket's destroyed. Sensor wire insulators are smashed up pretty good but the wires appear to be intact and luckily (?) the plug seems to be intact. :frown:

Dear reader, I do hope at the very least that you are enjoying the entertainment value of the downright Sisyphean task of reviving my beloved '91 Cabriolet. I know I'm trying to.

In spite of everything, I still have a good time working on this damn thing and every hurdle feels like I'm gaining "experience points." Why else would I continue? A saner man would have rolled this old bitch basket out to the street and set it on fire by this point.

Anyone else ever have this much disappointment/trouble/bad luck refurbishing an engine, or is this my punishment for having slighted the Volkswagen gods?

We have all had those "I can't believe that I was so frigging stupid." times.
      Some more than others.

The ARP stud kit avail at SummitRacing or other places, are great for times like this as they are re-usable.
      Pricey at the start but after the second or 3rd time you take the head off, they pay for themselves.

Where are my grounds ?

14. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-27-2014 08:40 PM #49

Yep, thanks for the inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      We have all had those "I can't believe that I was so frigging stupid." times.
      Some more than others.

The ARP stud kit avail at SummitRacing or other places, are great for times like this as they are re-usable.
      Pricey at the start but after the second or 3rd time you take the head off, they pay for themselves.
      I wish I'd bought those bolts in the first place. I have like 4 or 5 sets of the cheaper headbolts sitting around that are apparently unusable. Still, $150 is outside of my bolt budget right now, and hopefully this is that last time I have to put it back together for a long time. Unless the head doesn't work, or the cylinders or the rings or the _____ is shot and I have to start from scratch again. I swear, for the kind of money I constantly sink into this car, I'd rather invest in an electric motor. To hell with this internal combustion bullcrap.

Anyway, new gasket + headbolts on their way. Updates when they get here.

I'm pretty sure this is the gasket I used before for this weird engine of mine. An early 90's 16v 2L Jetta Gasket. Hope it's the right one.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks.../Engine/104/10
      Last edited by inlovewithavdubengine; 03-27-2014 at 08:53 PM.

15. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-07-2014 10:24 PM #50
      Well, I managed to pull apart the exhaust sensor wire while I was stripping off the smashed-up insulators and trying to assess whether the internal wire was too damaged to use. If it wasn't before, it is now.

Oh well, just get a new one?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks.../Exhaust/152/4

$131 + shipping? Yikes. What's in there, platinum?
      Is soldering it back together an acceptable option?
      Might try a scrap yard.
      Last edited by inlovewithavdubengine; 04-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.

16. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-07-2014 10:56 PM #51
      I also did this without labeling which wires go to which ports, any info in that would be extremely helpful.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      04-07-2014 11:06 PM #52
      I know I know I know......

White to white black to black.

The black goes to the violet wire t4a pin 1
      The whites go to t4a pin2 and t4a pin1
      That is on the connector that is on the valve cover.

You have 4 wires.
      Ground nothing
      blue to white wire either one on o2
      Red/white to white wire either one o2
      Violet to the black sense wire on the o2.

Where are my grounds ?

18. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-08-2014 01:28 AM #53
      You sure? California has its own unique O2 sensor. 3 wires.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      04-08-2014 03:45 AM #54
      The generic replacements that are 40 dollars are all 3 wires 2 white and 1 black..been using them for years..
      The ground is wrapped around

The 2 white wires are for the heater circuit, the black is the signal wire.

The black goes to the violet wire t4a pin 1
      The whites go to t4a pin2 and t4a pin1
      That is on the connector that is on the o2 sensor side of the valve cover.

You have 4 wires. ground is only on the ecu side of the connector.
      Ground nothing
      blue to white wire either one on o2
      Red/white to white wire either one o2
      Violet to the black sense wire on the o2.
      Last edited by briano1234; 04-08-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Where are my grounds ?

20. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-08-2014 01:14 PM #55
      It's 3 prongs, no ground, looks exactly like this:

So from the picture it looks like the 2 whites go together, then a gap, and the black is in the single prong... it doesn't matter if you accidentally switch the 2 whites does it?
      I'm going to try to get my hands on a soldering gun today.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      04-08-2014 04:08 PM #56
      Nope the whites are for the heater, it doesn't matter which way you put them on.

Where are my grounds ?

Vehicles
      88 Cabby daily driver
      04-08-2014 05:01 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      To remove the studs place a washer over the stud so that it is flat against the head.
      Take a small pair of Vice-Grips and clamp them as tight as you can on top of the washer.
      Smack the hammer with a hammer to loosen. The washer prevent scratching the head face.
      I'm no expert, but I did have to do this recently and I tried this method. I had luck with one or two studs but ended up using brute force to get most of em.

I also did exactly the same thing: Using the shouldered studs with a rubber gasket, which produced an IMMEDIATE and large oil leak.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      04-08-2014 05:16 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by flipty View Post
      I'm no expert, but I did have to do this recently and I tried this method. I had luck with one or two studs but ended up using brute force to get most of em.

I also did exactly the same thing: Using the shouldered studs with a rubber gasket, which produced an IMMEDIATE and large oil leak.
      Yep we have seen that before,,,

Rubber no shoulder.
      Cork shoulder.

87 in/lbs on the nuts, no more no less
      Or you will have a great big mess.

Poetry in action.

Where are my grounds ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12