Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My VW Rabbit 83 GTi Build Thread

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI; 81 Rabbit Diesel
      12-08-2013 06:33 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Vamped View Post
      Nice paint, too bad you didnt remove the front spoiler and cover plates!
      Yeah it's shame it went that way I told the guy to not mount it just drill the holes and well it was mounted. Later on I'll probably fix that shouldn't be hard to match. But for now that spoilers staying on all the time hahah.

Another thing is that the dude taped my doors wrong when they sprayed now the inside of my doors are primer not the paint. So that needs fixed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      What did I get myself into?

Vehicles
      12-21-2013 09:54 AM #37
      Finally getting some much needed time to put her back together. So far id say it's 20% back together. Gotta tackle the interior which needs a lot of love put into it and I'm not sure where to go on that yet atm. Definitely getting some recaros as my original seats were destroyed beyond repair.

And some pics.

This is why I wanted this car, look at how sexy the front looks definitely one of the best looking front ends IMO I don't see why people like rounds....

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit LS 2 door, 1994 Passat VR6 3.0
      12-21-2013 10:27 AM #38
      Great job man, wasnt following but just went through the whole build. Come a long way! Glad you decided to go black anyways!

Vehicles
      12-21-2013 10:31 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JoeNacinovich View Post
      Great job man, wasnt following but just went through the whole build. Come a long way! Glad you decided to go black anyways!
      Thanks man! And yeah it has I'm scheduling an appointment to get it detailed so should look better. Maybe red stripe too? Hehe

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit LS 2 door, 1994 Passat VR6 3.0
      12-21-2013 10:52 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by jo3kr View Post
      Thanks man! And yeah it has I'm scheduling an appointment to get it detailed so should look better. Maybe red stripe too? Hehe

Nice!has the paint been wetsanded and buffed yet? Red stripe would be ideal if your gon for that stock look, which is the best imo

Vehicles
      12-21-2013 11:03 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by JoeNacinovich View Post
      Nice!has the paint been wetsanded and buffed yet? Red stripe would be ideal if your gon for that stock look, which is the best imo
      Nothing has been done to the paint. Not getting it wet sanded I'm just getting it polished buffed waxed. You know how the more glossy it is the more shows through so that's my worry on wet sanding it just hard to tell what was missed especially when I paid a professional body shop $400 to fix a couple dents and one showed through.

I washed the car the other day (just rinsed it) and found swirl marks in it so decided it's gonna need polished.

And yep the red stripe is definitely going on that was one of the "cool factors" I thought of it when I first bought it lol.

Last edited by jo3kr; 12-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Vehicles
      12-21-2013 08:23 PM #42
      Need some suggestions people

NA bumpers pushed in

Or

Plastic euro bumpers?

I'm leaning towards plastic euro bumpers I think it would really show off the front end instead of NA bumpers clogging everything up.

Even though I'm liking the no bumper look I can't do that to this car.

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      12-21-2013 10:38 PM #43
      ive never been a fan of the plastic euro bumpers on a N/A gti especially a black one, but the black N/A bumpers look pretty bad with the overriders or whatever they're called. i feel like its just to much black but i feel like chrome would look weird too. idk i say just tuck the N/A bumper since its correct to the car.
      "Hi-fi Gods try so hard to make their cars low to the ground"

Vehicles
      12-22-2013 01:21 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Sk8rat View Post
      ive never been a fan of the plastic euro bumpers on a N/A gti especially a black one, but the black N/A bumpers look pretty bad with the overriders or whatever they're called. i feel like its just to much black but i feel like chrome would look weird too. idk i say just tuck the N/A bumper since its correct to the car.
      True true true. Makes sense you have a good point.

Do you have any idea how much I should compress these shocks on NA bumpers? I got a press and would rather do it that way.

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      12-22-2013 03:39 AM #45
      i honestly have no idea. since both of my shocks are already drilled im just gonna do it the old school way haha. i have to weld them in place since one is cut and ill plug the drilled holes. its a lot easier to drill them imo and it will save from getting the shop messy. but be cautious if you drill them they will spray a weird purple liquid that doesnt taste very good.

Vehicles
      12-22-2013 03:44 AM #46
      i honestly have no idea. since both of my shocks are already drilled im just gonna do it the old school way haha. i have to weld them in place since one is cut and ill plug the drilled holes. its a lot easier to drill them imo and it will save from getting the shop messy. but be cautious if you drill them they will spray a weird purple liquid that doesnt taste very good.
      Yeah I didn't feel like installing the bumpers them measuring etc. Might just push them in with a wall but my luck something bad would happen lol.

I don't wanna know how you know it doesn't taste good. Lmao. I just bought a complete practically mint condition molding that go on the grooves on the side for $60 shipped I thought that was quite a steal. Now to tackle these GTI flares oh how I hate flaking paint by PO.... But I can't wait to see this baby with some mud flaps. Subaru rally cars have been my all time favorite with mud flaps fog lights etc....

As soon as I get bumpers on it can ride over to my brothers shop and get an exhaust put on. Needs from manifold back. I wanna have it kind of loud but not ear drum blowing. I can do a flow master but my brothers mk2 has a flow master and it's extremely loud almost straight pipe sound. So suggestions on that would be awesome too or any other suggestions. I want to build it to my taste but also want to incorporate the community.

Last edited by jo3kr; 12-22-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Vehicles
      01-05-2014 02:39 PM #47
      Not awfully too much progress been really cold lately. Here's some things I've been picking up this month.

Recaros which need a little reupholstering them but for $20 why am I complaining? I can't confirm their Recaros because of no stitching but they definitely look like it.

BBS RS Reps rims not sure what I think about them definitely thought they'd be better looking but the POs sihty paint job is YUCK and underneath all that plastidip is a baby blue which is even more YUCK gonna sand blast them repolish the lips and maybe do gold middle.

That wheel gap makes me sick too.

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      01-05-2014 03:12 PM #48
      wheel gap isnt nearly as bad a black wheels, bleh

Vehicles
      01-05-2014 03:21 PM #49
      They look so small for 16s cause of it being black

POs car

Vehicles
      01-05-2014 06:32 PM #50
      At least agree on the wheels? they've been my dream since owning this car to own a set. If anyone has any past experience sand blasting wheels chime in.

Would it be ok to sand blast them back to bare aluminum and sand them with fine grit to get the chips out of the aluminum? Then I can polish them and paint the center?

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      01-05-2014 08:30 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by jo3kr View Post
      At least agree on the wheels? they've been my dream since owning this car to own a set. If anyone has any past experience sand blasting wheels chime in.
      i used to love bbs wheels on mk1s but just like round headlights, ive seen it to much and got tired it. i have a very strange taste in wheels according to all my friends, maybe i just like ugly wheels

this thread was started today in the pnw forum. im sure they can answer whatever questions you have about rebuilding wheels.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-wheel-project
      Last edited by Sk8rat; 01-31-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Vehicles
      01-05-2014 08:49 PM #52
      That was a good writeup I might try to use airplane stripper and then go get them media blasted and do the rest myself instead. I could only imagine sand blasting would eat the rims alive.

Idk yet I am going to switch focus onto interior. I wanna get this interior in and take her for a spin got some RT tags . Recently the motor was in terrible running condition changed the coil distributor wires and fuel filter runs like a dream now.

Last edited by jo3kr; 01-05-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Vehicles
      01-31-2014 07:11 PM #53
      Haven't updated at all it's just way to cold to do anything atm but I did manage to get a couple things accomplished and that's the drivers seat bolted in dash getting closer to being completely in and all signal lights put on.

I got mint seat fabric for the VW Sport seats that I thought were Recaros. The drivers seat just needs restitched and I got all new bolsters etc for passenger.

I had an unfortunate accident pushing my front bumper in it jumped out of the frame rail and smashed the paint to bare metal right above the frame rail square. So you know what that means; euro bumpers I bought some for $130 shipped and should be here within a week or so. That should hide the damage I hope accidents happen I'm gonna buy a primer paint stick and color stock and stop it from rusting.

Also worked on interior all carpets down and rear seats about to go in and then all I gotta do is reupholster passenger seat and tidy up the dash I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere on this build.

My goal is to be legal inspected reliable for VWFest that I've went to for the past 3 years. And it would be a honor to drive it up (almost a 3 hour trip)

Just a couple random pictures trying to become a professional photographer. I was practically laying in snow to get these LOL. I then noticed the dam door was open it won't shut properly right now idk what's up with it ever since it came from the junk yard I've had to bend the striker latch up and down multiple times. And it keeps going back out of alignment.

I do need a suggestion from you guys I bought all new fender flares that were mint but the paint was chipped badly I've sanded and sanded and tried feathering it and the texture is just wrong and I've used 3 different types of paint to try and blend it all together to fail. I'm about to just throw them on as is half azzed.

Can anyone confirm bed liner paint would fix this?

Last edited by jo3kr; 01-31-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Vehicles
      02-01-2014 09:12 PM #54
      Got some amazing progress done today I'm quite proud of myself. Got the rear carpet down rear seat in the rear speaker trays and the thing that comes up with the hatch.
      That only took me roughly an hour to do.

Then when I got off work I took the dash back out and rerouted all the wires cause I couldn't get the fuse box in all the wires were just making it impossible. And I kinda want to see if I can get the rear wiper working so I probably am going to rewire it while I'm at it and anything else that doesn't work. What's really surprising is that I got the dash and all took out in 15 minutes without busting it all up.

I'm hoping to have the dash back in tomorrow and get the passenger seat reupholstered during the week and go from there. Maybe install the euro bumpers too if they come.

Vehicles
      02-02-2014 02:24 PM #55
      Still can't get this pos wiring done. I've tried a bunch of different ways I'm about to start cutting shiz lol. I just can't remember how the old fuse box was.

Here's pics

Vehicles
      02-04-2014 07:20 PM #56
      Dash back in and wirings all sorted out it's back to what it was factory. You have no idea how bad I wanted to fix that.

Now it's getting down to little odds and ends. I've been working 5+ hours a day on this car and lots of motivation even with a foot of snow and 20 degrees outside lol so let's hope I can get it done soon .

22. Member
      02-04-2014 07:46 PM #57
      Great work and well done so far... maybe not a Pebble Beach restoration per the nit-pickers, but I love what you've done!

I suggest that whatever you do, finish the project. Once you do, think hard about selling the car no matter how much you are tempted! 2 things I didn't do right when I was around your age. One of these days I'll get around to that MGB-GT (20 years later).

I was worried that working on cars is a dying hobby, hopefully this thread provides some motivation to some other folks.

Vehicles
      02-04-2014 07:54 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
      Great work and well done so far... maybe not a Pebble Beach restoration per the nit-pickers, but I love what you've done!

I suggest that whatever you do, finish the project. Once you do, think hard about selling the car no matter how much you are tempted! 2 things I didn't do right when I was around your age. One of these days I'll get around to that MGB-GT (20 years later).

I was worried that working on cars is a dying hobby, hopefully this thread provides some motivation to some other folks.
      Thanks man and nah not planning on selling this car it's got a lot of sentimental value to me. Yeah cars not showroom but it's a hell of a lot better then what it used to be

I think as it continues to go back together it'll look nicer and nicer I haven't even got to put the flares on yet or even do anything to the paint such as wax buff or anything I'm gonna pay to get it detailed this spring.

Last edited by jo3kr; 02-04-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Vehicles
      02-05-2014 08:16 AM #59
      Can't work on it so why not work on my photography skills

Vehicles
      02-08-2014 08:33 PM #60
      Got some stuff done today spent most of my day redoing my passenger seat it came out amazing! Well worth the $60 I have in them total. I just need to stitch the upper top on my drivers seat before it gets worse and I'd call them mint condition .

I also got the door cards on I thought I'd never see that day and I have to say they were also worth the money it's nice to see a door card without ripped pockets and not a stitch of water damage on them.

And got euro bumpers installed pics soon on that. Right now I'm trying to finalize the carpet as it needs pulled tight and finish all the little things and she's ready to go!

Door card
      Messy interior along with monster mats for a newer (maybe mk4) Golf. Almost a perfect match and so far I'm impressed with them they grab just about everything along with all the bolts I lose And the seat I did all new bolsters and fabric all of which were in excellent condition no rips or anything

Last edited by jo3kr; 02-08-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Vehicles
      02-09-2014 05:45 PM #61
      Updated pics of interior and rear euro bumper on. Front is partially on

Vehicles
      02-14-2014 03:22 PM #62
      I'm so sick the neighbor plowed our driveway and I walked outside and seen this

I don't think the flares are gonna cover that up I can't believe this people are so careless now and need to learn how to operate a tractor and not hit cars with it. It's dented pretty bad too I don't even feel like looking at it now it disgusts me

Judging by this picture it's not looking good on a coverup I'm afraid it's gonna be heading back for a touch up FUKC

Good news is the interior cleaned up nice

Last edited by jo3kr; 02-14-2014 at 03:26 PM.

28. Member
      02-14-2014 04:15 PM #63
      Oh My GOD that's looking almost like a clean car interior! Good work

Vehicles
      02-14-2014 05:31 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
      Oh My GOD that's looking almost like a clean car interior! Good work
      Yeah it came out better then expected it's coming together I think when I get the radio and vents in it'll look great.

I promised myself I would wash it today so I did that regardless of the damage. First time she got washed with soap before I used to just rinse it off and that doesn't actually remove the dirt and stuff. Froze my azz off but got it washed lol

Vehicles
      2013 Passat S, 1981 Caddy Diesel
      02-14-2014 06:54 PM #65
      Just went through your thread. Deff came a long way & it's looking good! Sucks about the plow though luck yours doesn't have as bad rust as my caddy. My carpet padding is hanging out from the car ordered a whole floor pan, hopefully this foot and a half of snow melts soon so I can make some progress.

Vehicles
      02-14-2014 07:11 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by nutellaliz View Post
      Just went through your thread. Deff came a long way & it's looking good! Sucks about the plow though luck yours doesn't have as bad rust as my caddy. My carpet padding is hanging out from the car ordered a whole floor pan, hopefully this foot and a half of snow melts soon so I can make some progress.
      Thank you, yeah plow sucks but my brother came home with my flares in his truck so I tried it on and it in fact does cover it up to where it's just a little dimple. I'm gonna order primer stick and paint stick and fix that up before rust appears.

That's nothing look at the mk1 I just bought

Took out the metal plate and the seat fell through...

We got 2 feet of snow I Seen where you live not far from me! I go up there every year for the VW shows which in fact this hopefully will be up there I'm aiming for April 26th for Volksfest for this thing to be completely done buffed waxed etc.

Last edited by jo3kr; 02-14-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Vehicles
      02-21-2014 07:57 PM #67
      Not much to update just been doing little things tomorrow I'm hoping to have my flares back and put on along with my mud flaps. I just painted my mirrors so they'll be going on to. Then just button up the interior and I'm going to get it on the road.

Don't mind the duct tape residue on the bumpers and the fact the front bumper is hanging off I fixed all that

One problem I have is the dam front bumper is sagging I refuse to drill into my car so it's going to stay sagging unless someone gives me a little bit of advice

Vehicles
      03-02-2014 02:48 PM #68
      Not much of an update waiting on getting the title done here's some updated pics

The northeast is getting hit again so I've learned my lesson about the plow so the only way it's getting hit now is if they hit 3 other cars and possibly a house

I fixed my bumper sag (the best I could) I took a self threading screw and screwed the plastic to the metal reinforcement and it buttoned it up good and it's stable now I refused to drill into my fender.

And lastly I ordered 1.5" lowering springs brand new for $80 shipped (ST brand which I've learned are knockoff KWs) I'll be happy with them and couldn't beat the price!

Maybe if I get time before the show I'll strip the BBS wheels and do gold center and polished lip.

My main focus is the flares having problems getting them painted in the cold temps this weekends going to be 50s 60s so that's paint time.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, MKII GTi, MK1 GTi
      03-02-2014 04:05 PM #69
      I am going to use this on my fender flares, used the gray on my Volvo 2 years ago and it has held up really well. I just ordered some this am to do the Gti in black.

http://showroomnewproducts.com/

Vehicles
      03-02-2014 05:35 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Divvie View Post
      I am going to use this on my fender flares, used the gray on my Volvo 2 years ago and it has held up really well. I just ordered some this am to do the Gti in black.

http://showroomnewproducts.com/
      I think these flares are too far gone I'm using krylon fusion now I've used 4 different kinds of paints and fusion has done the best not very good with paint rubbing off but it'll do. The one chip guard by SEM I used dried to a rubber consistency and yeah not fun to sand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast