Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need Advice!

1. 06-20-2012 09:16 AM #1
      Hey everyone, as you can probably tell I'm new here. Now, before I get started, I know you can't make my life decisions and what not, but I just want advice and to see if you guys think I'm getting a good deal.

So I walked into the dealership yesterday, just for a feeler test drive of a '12 GTI. Basically couldn't say no, and now I'm in the process of purchasing the floor model with: 1.5" lowering HR lowering springs, cat-back magnaflow exhaust and 18" sparco wheels with continental tires. The model is a '12 gti base (csg).
      Now for the financial stuff.. they want 255 bi-weekly for 84 months, but I can put additional money on the payment. Keep in mind I'm 20 years old and have good credit, just not much of it.

So I just wanted the professionals opinion. I'm in love with the car, but it's just that hump over the finances that's scaring me I think. Never bought anything this big in my life. So any advice will be amazing, thanks

Brody

Vehicles
      bagged mk6 2.5
      06-20-2012 09:37 AM #2
      Ask te salesman about the 2013 gti, pretty much the same price i think.
      And whats the mileage on the 12'

3. 06-20-2012 09:39 AM #3
      Mileage is at 268km, this is in Alberta, Canada

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI 6MT, MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Lapping Car Project,
      06-20-2012 10:09 AM #4
      MHm.... thats pretty expensive for a car at the end of it's model year, and almost at the end of it's model life (Mk7's in a couple years). They should throw in the mods for free.... old addege goes, don't buy a modded car, after all.

Also, for our American friends, our base model GTI's go for $10,000 MORE than mid level US GTI's - so that is one reason the payment looks high.

I am assuming that 255 is tax in? That means you are paying $42840 for the car after 84 months... which isn't horrible I guess.... at least your taxes are smaller than here in Ontario.

I lease my GTI (with leather and sunroof) for $420 tax in, but thats a lease in Ontario, with money down....

If I were you, 20yrs old.... I'd look for a 2010 GTI with some miles on it and CPO.... Save yourself 10,000 and get basically the same car, minus the BT and LED's...
      Buy my Red Beetle Heritage Wheels!! cheap! Will VagCom Mk5 and 6 in the GTA
      Quote Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
      I love that dashboard. It's like Knight Rider had sex with Star Trek.

5. 06-20-2012 10:19 AM #5
      From my understanding, the mods are free which is what makes it a deal, they're charging me the base price of the vehicle, but leaving the mods on (and I requested the stock springs for winter) My insurance quote is also high, although when I first got a quote they hit 9100$, now it's down to 4500, or 418$ a month.

Vehicles
      06-20-2012 10:22 AM #6
      MHm... well, if you have $1000 + Gas money per month to throw into a car, then all the power to you. I know jobs are booming out in Alberta, so if you are in a secure position, and will be for 7 years, then go for it.

Personally though, I'd still look for a used Mk6 (hell, they will be coming off leases next year) and sock away the extra money for a house or something.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI. Prev owned: MKIII GLX VR6, B5 Audi S4, MKV 2.5 Jetta
      06-20-2012 10:53 AM #7
      510 a month for a GTI? And for 84 months? That's absolutely insane even if you have no credit. You will be so upside down in the thing. I can't believe they even have loans that far out. I'm not trying to
      Be a downer but I think on the long run you will wish you didn't do it. If you do decide to get it Try
      To get a co signer, that could help bring interest down. You may also want to try a credit union they are usually more "understanding" with first time car buyers. I got my first car with 7% on a used car
      From a credit union.

Vehicles
      06-20-2012 01:25 PM #8
      Interest should be 2.9%.

Remember we are starting at a base price of $29,375 here in Canada. Not 23,995 like it is in America. MSRP on a two door Autobahn in the US is $29,995, To build that in Canada would be an MSRP of $33,685.

That being said, our base model's have Xenons stock.... and 17" denvers.... lol

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI / 2012 Audi A4 / PAST 1999.5 MKIV Jetta / 2000 MKIV Jetta / 2004 B6 Audi A4
      06-20-2012 01:29 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      Interest should be 2.9%.

Remember we are starting at a base price of $29,375 here in Canada. Not 23,995 like it is in America. MSRP on a two door Autobahn in the US is $29,995, To build that in Canada would be an MSRP of $33,685.

That being said, our base model's have Xenons stock.... and 17" denvers.... lol
      i'm paying 0.99%

NBD.
      2010 CSG GTI DSG | APR Stage I ECU | APR/Carbonio Stage I & II Intake | APR RSC Cat-back | AWE T.O.P | Smoked Corner Markers | Koni Coilovers | VCDS

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      06-20-2012 06:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by v-dubIV View Post
      i'm paying 0.99%

NBD.
      I'm paying 0.0%.
      I don't care what country you're in, $42,840 for that car is stupid. The buyer would be equally as stupid. Sorry for the tough love. I agree that you should buy something used, CPO.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-21-2012 03:33 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post
      You will be so upside down in the thing.
      X2 - for 5 years, for sure.

I'd recommend saving until you have somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000 for a down payment.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI VI
      06-21-2012 08:25 AM #12
      No offense man but it sounds like you cannot afford it. For that kind of money you can get something much nicer and AWD. Better yet for that price you can get the Golf R.

Don't do it.

Vehicles
      06-21-2012 08:44 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by SpX404 View Post
      No offense man but it sounds like you cannot afford it. For that kind of money you can get something much nicer and AWD. Better yet for that price you can get the Golf R.

Don't do it.
      Golf R in Canada (4 door with sunroof and nav only) has an MSRP of $39,675, after taxes and fees in Alberta, it would be $43,200. And the VW finance rates for them are insane (5.9%). For 84 months, payments would be $644/month

Vehicles
      2010/VW/MKVI
      06-21-2012 09:28 AM #14
      Forget the price, it's just money. Besides, in this day and age of wealth distribution, salesmen should be able to take their families on long, faraway, exotic vacations too.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI VI
      06-21-2012 11:47 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      Golf R in Canada (4 door with sunroof and nav only) has an MSRP of $39,675, after taxes and fees in Alberta, it would be $43,200. And the VW finance rates for them are insane (5.9%). For 84 months, payments would be $644/month
      Is that converted to USD? You can pick one up here in Georgia, for $36k and right around 40k after tags, taxes, and fees. As far as interest rates go that's all on the buyer. Very interesting though.

If you think it's worth the money and you cannot for see any issues, then go for it. just make sure you post pictures when you buy it.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      06-22-2012 12:29 AM #16
      Don't care who you are. At twenty years old you should be focusing on saving money while establishing credit. That way down the road you can buy what you really want with less money and less interest.

Find a different car to buy, there are plenty of CPO MKVI's for sale for much cheaper.

17. 06-22-2012 06:06 AM #17
      Brodyo:

Don't take offense to the comments, people here are trying to look out for you. One thing everyone here forgot to ask is, what is your employment situation like? Part or full time? Would making a payment of $510/month be a burden on you? And if so, how significant?

There are a lot of factors to be considering. Housing, food, etc. Normally, I would not share this...but here I go. At age 20, I'd secured a full-time position working at university making $21,000 (this was 1997). First thing I did? Went out and bought a brand new 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (don't flame me guys...yes, bad choice...but it looked so cool). I paid $19000 for it and had a monthly payment in the mid-400 range. Then a series of bad things happened. Parents financials dropped off, so no more living and financial support. When the bills started coming in, I was barely breaking even every month. In February, I had a debilitating illness come up and put me out on short term disability. Thankfully, the state had 100% payment coverage for 16 weeks. After that, I lived on couches of every friend I had and finally fell into a dorm room after the department secretary called in several favors with the Dean and Financial Services. I kept the car, dropped out of school...and returned a year to graduate but with over $10,000 more in loans.

I know things are better in Canada than the US, but you have to be safe these days with financials. Think about all the possibilities and make a plan. Then, make your choice.