Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 417

    Thread: Motocycle Helmet laws still in weak in many states

    1. 06-20-2012 05:31 PM #1
      I'm not sure if this is rozap,

      Watch Why Rise in Motorcycle Deaths Hasn't Meant Tough Helmet Laws on PBS. See more from PBS NewsHour.



      It's a $50 fine for not wearing a seat belt, (click or ticket), they go after text and drive as well. I'm curious to know why there is such objection to safety for riders?

    2. Member McBanagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      9,636
      Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      06-20-2012 05:34 PM #2
      Oh boy, here we go.

      Might as well as posted about left lane campers or retrained pets in cars.....

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 14th, 2001
      Location
      LB NY
      Posts
      15,383
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      06-20-2012 05:55 PM #3
      I have a free subscription to a random motorcycle magazine (can't think of the name right now) and they discussed helmet laws in this month's issue. There are a number of very vocal riders who do NOT want helmet laws and they've done a good job of negotiating for it.

      At the end of the day, who gives a ****? Why do you care if some other idiot doesn't want to wear a helmet? I wear one when I ride, I don't care if anyone else does.

    4. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      06-20-2012 05:56 PM #4
      Ohio has none except for new-riders with their instructional permit. Meh, the quicker bikers kill themselves off, the better. Personally, I'm more annoyed by the ODOT messages saying "Watch out for bikers" ... F**k that, let them watch out the same as other traffic with no safety restraints or body protection ...

    5. Member Cooley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 1999
      Posts
      577
      Vehicles
      2004 Passat, 2010 Smug, 1993 Ranger
      06-20-2012 06:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      I have a free subscription to a random motorcycle magazine (can't think of the name right now) and they discussed helmet laws in this month's issue. There are a number of very vocal riders who do NOT want helmet laws and they've done a good job of negotiating for it.

      At the end of the day, who gives a ****? Why do you care if some other idiot doesn't want to wear a helmet? I wear one when I ride, I don't care if anyone else does.
      Same reason I care when some dubmass turns off his traction control and plows into a phone pole...it costs me money thru increased insurance premiums and other misc. costs which are passed on to me (the taxpayer).

    6. 06-20-2012 06:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      At the end of the day, who gives a ****? Why do you care if some other idiot doesn't want to wear a helmet? I wear one when I ride, I don't care if anyone else does.

      Same logic could be used for the seat belt laws then.

    7. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      06-20-2012 06:03 PM #7
      I'm in full favor of letting bikers who don't wear helmets out on public roads duke it out in a full contact challenge ... don't want to wear basic safety equipment? Fine, but let's see how you deal with a couple tractor trailers trying to mow you down.

      I have nothing but contempt against squids that ride without helmets and safety pads and morons that drive without seatbelts ...

      I'd say let nature sort them out, but we need to be proactive about removing these ****heads from the genepool.

    8. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      06-20-2012 06:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
      Same reason I care when some dubmass turns off his traction control and plows into a phone pole...it costs me money thru increased insurance premiums and other misc. costs which are passed on to me (the taxpayer).
      We've been through this before; the cost per person is so friggin' minuscule that it's not worth bunching your panties over. Let them kill themselves off, because if we all start pointing out other's risks we're not going to pay for, some of our favorite hobbies are going to disappear fast.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      mpls
      Posts
      1,024
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      06-20-2012 06:08 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
      Same reason I care when some dubmass turns off his traction control and plows into a phone pole...it costs me money thru increased insurance premiums and other misc. costs which are passed on to me (the taxpayer).
      I see your argument, but you are comparing two different things. Things like traction control can help prevent vehicular accidents. Helmets and seatbelts, while keeping the driver/rider safe, generally do not help prevent vehicular accidents.

      And also, i can MAYBE see how accidents could raise overall insurance premiums because of increased hospitalization fees for those not wearing helmets/seatbelts. but taxes? that's kind of a stretch.

    10. Member Cooley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 1999
      Posts
      577
      Vehicles
      2004 Passat, 2010 Smug, 1993 Ranger
      06-20-2012 06:14 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      We've been through this before; the cost per person is so friggin' minuscule that it's not worth bunching your panties over. Let them kill themselves off, because if we all start pointing out other's risks we're not going to pay for, some of our favorite hobbies are going to disappear fast.
      You mean like defeatable traction control? Just wait in a few years there won't even be a buttom for it at all. Ever hear of uninsured motorist coverage? That's not minuscule.

    11. 06-20-2012 06:18 PM #11
      And also, i can MAYBE see how accidents could raise overall insurance premiums because of increased hospitalization fees for those not wearing helmets/seatbelts. but taxes? that's kind of a stretch.
      I interrupted his comment as 'he the taxpayer' who pays for the first responder services that aid the anti-helmet riders, EMT response, ER response,etc.

    12. 06-20-2012 06:22 PM #12
      for many "purists" it interferes with their idea of freedom the motorcycle brings. i say let the idiots do what they will and let darwin keep doing his work

    13. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,317
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      06-20-2012 06:39 PM #13
      michigan just repealed their helmet law...same as every state surrounding us.

      still would not get on a bike without a helmet...or full gear.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    14. Member macosxuser's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2007
      Location
      Socal
      Posts
      1,778
      Vehicles
      GTi 1.8T, Ford SD 6.0L, Honda NC700, Honda NT650
      06-20-2012 06:57 PM #14
      I'm a full gear kinda guy, but a helmet isn't going to change the EMT response or anything else. Just how likely the rider is to die. I'm all about letting people be stupid if they want.

    15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,733
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-20-2012 06:58 PM #15
      Not wearing a helmet can turn a minor low speed oops into a serious brain injury...

      And I do not understand their logic about personal freedom.
      Riding a motorcycle or driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege.
      And if you want that privilege you must adhere to the regulations that are in place to make it reasonably fair and safe for all.
      Frankly- I think all motorcycle riders should have to wear helmets AND protective leathers.
      Coworker's daughter was in a motorcycle crash last weekend (riding on bike and the bike driver had a seizure).
      She is in bad shape- but many of the problems will come from all the peeled skin since she was riding in shorts and a t-shirt.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    16. Member personman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2008
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      1,147
      Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      06-20-2012 07:08 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      I interrupted his comment as 'he the taxpayer' who pays for the first responder services that aid the anti-helmet riders, EMT response, ER response,etc.
      I spent 4 hours today in my county's 911 call center. I'm pretty sure if you're worried about unnecessary EMS costs that helmet laws are going to be pretty far down on the list.

    17. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,317
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      06-20-2012 07:10 PM #17
      my issue with the helmet laws has always been twofold:

      1. we mandate really crappy helmets...those DOT M brain buckets aren't going to do dick for your in a serious accident. either mandate the very best or nothing at all.

      2. just because you follow the law and are wearing a helmet, its still legal to ride in your boxer shorts and wife beater. which means you're still going to die if you get hit or fall off your bike. again, mandate full gear or mandate nothing.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    18. Member personman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2008
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      1,147
      Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      06-20-2012 07:12 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      And I do not understand their logic about personal freedom.
      Riding a motorcycle or driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege.
      And if you want that privilege you must adhere to the regulations that are in place to make it reasonably fair and safe for all.
      I think you're right. You know, so many car accidents are caused nowadays by poor car maintenance and faulty repairs, we should have laws in place that restrict it so only certified mechanics can work on cars.

      My point, so as to not be misinterpreted, is that no matter what it is you love to do, somewhere, someone out there wants to outlaw or restrict it for your own safety, and the good of society.
      Last edited by personman; 06-20-2012 at 07:21 PM.

    19. 06-20-2012 10:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Not wearing a helmet can turn a minor low speed oops into a serious brain injury...

      And I do not understand their logic about personal freedom.
      Riding a motorcycle or driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege.
      And if you want that privilege you must adhere to the regulations that are in place to make it reasonably fair and safe for all.
      Frankly- I think all motorcycle riders should have to wear helmets AND protective leathers.

    20. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      06-20-2012 10:44 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Not wearing a helmet can turn a minor low speed oops into a serious brain injury...

      And I do not understand their logic about personal freedom.
      Riding a motorcycle or driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege.
      And if you want that privilege you must adhere to the regulations that are in place to make it reasonably fair and safe for all.
      Frankly- I think all motorcycle riders should have to wear helmets AND protective leathers.
      Coworker's daughter was in a motorcycle crash last weekend (riding on bike and the bike driver had a seizure).
      She is in bad shape- but many of the problems will come from all the peeled skin since she was riding in shorts and a t-shirt.
      So, uhh, if helmets arent the law, like they aren't in many places...

    21. 06-20-2012 11:02 PM #21
      I do not have the stats but I'm going to guess that their is a higher rate of health care cost because of people putting their penis in places (or allowing it in their places) without protecting it than there is for people not protecting themselves fully while riding.

      Maybe we need a law.

    22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,733
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-21-2012 08:49 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      So, uhh, if helmets arent the law, like they aren't in many places...
      Now, that it true.

      I am confused as to how a group can be so organized against a very basic and effective safety requirement.
      Are getting these helmet laws repealed seen as some type of ceremonial event, and most that support the motorcycle lobby actually do wear helmets even in states where helmets are not required?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,733
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-21-2012 09:04 AM #23
      And I love how a motorcyclist mentioned paying taxes that support the emergent services..... Like that means you can do anything you want.

      Fatalities are the most talked about safety statistic, buy what about motorcycle riders that claim disability after a crash. I find it a but myopic to claim riding without a helmet is a 'personal style choice'(because after all the freedom BS, we know the anti-helmet group don't like wearing helmets due to image) when a single crash can put that rebel motorcyclist on tax funded disability for decades.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    24. Member hoffmaw1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2009
      Location
      Holland Patent
      Posts
      181
      Vehicles
      2012 Focus
      06-21-2012 09:08 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Now, that it true.

      I am confused as to how a group can be so organized against a very basic and effective safety requirement.
      Are getting these helmet laws repealed seen as some type of ceremonial event, and most that support the motorcycle lobby actually do wear helmets even in states where helmets are not required?
      This happened last year http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._motorcyc.html

      I don't think they were moving that fast.


    25. Member wisky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 22nd, 2008
      Location
      Bergen County NJ
      Posts
      235
      Vehicles
      06 F430 F1 / 01 W210 E55 / 03 Express Van
      06-21-2012 09:12 AM #26
      I think wearing a helmet should be a choice, but I would personally always choose to wear a helmet.

    26. Member rpmk4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2008
      Location
      Plainfield, IN
      Posts
      5,580
      Vehicles
      93 mustang gt, 04 Tahoe, 13 DRZ400SM, 04 yz250
      06-21-2012 09:14 AM #27
      i support no helmet laws even though i always wear my helmet. i support not having to wear a seat belt (children seat belt laws are ok) even though i always wear mine. why there has to be laws over a safety choice is beyond me. if they were serious about any of them the penalties would be more harsh. $25 for a seat belt ticket around here, guess how many people take the chance over such a small amount of money. If you're going to do the laws you should do them with the intent that you actually get punished for not following them, not half ass it.

    27. Member irishmpls_2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Dulloof, Minnesota
      Posts
      1,266
      Vehicles
      1992 Volvo 240 Sedan
      06-21-2012 09:25 AM #28
      It's not what you wear, it's how you ride. Many people ride tens of thousands of miles a year with selective gear (helmet only) or no gear at all and never have an accident.

      What I am curious about is this:

      Facts show that smoking and chewing tobacco causes cancer.

      Facts show that drugs can cause an overdose.

      Facts show that unprotected sex can lead to diseases.

      So why is it ok to do those things?

      Anyone who is going to bitch about how dumb I am for only wearing a helmet that participates in the above or any other number of inherently risky behaviors is a glaring example of hypocrisy.

      Welcome to reality.

    28. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,733
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-21-2012 09:41 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by irishmpls_2 View Post
      It's not what you wear, it's how you ride. Many people ride tens of thousands of miles a year with selective gear (helmet only) or no gear at all and never have an accident.

      What I am curious about is this:

      Facts show that smoking and chewing tobacco causes cancer.

      Facts show that drugs can cause an overdose.

      Facts show that unprotected sex can lead to diseases.

      So why is it ok to do those things?

      Anyone who is going to bitch about how dumb I am for only wearing a helmet that participates in the above or any other number of inherently risky behaviors is a glaring example of hypocrisy.

      Welcome to reality.

      How about we keep all analogies and comparisons to other vehicle related laws....
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    29. Member irishmpls_2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Dulloof, Minnesota
      Posts
      1,266
      Vehicles
      1992 Volvo 240 Sedan
      06-21-2012 09:46 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      How about we keep all analogies and comparisons to other vehicle related laws....
      How about risk is risk...

    30. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,393
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      06-21-2012 09:48 AM #31
      There should be no helmet law like their should be no seatbelt law. Have the safety equipment available, and let the user decide. They only hurt themselves. Darwinism in action.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    31. Member irishmpls_2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Dulloof, Minnesota
      Posts
      1,266
      Vehicles
      1992 Volvo 240 Sedan
      06-21-2012 09:50 AM #32
      But many people don't hurt themselves. What about then?

    32. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,393
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      06-21-2012 09:52 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by irishmpls_2 View Post
      But many people don't hurt themselves. What about then?
      I don't follow? If you aren't wearing a helmet you are both stupid, and putty. You would do more damage to another object with a helmet then with soft, gooey head. The helmet wouldn't collapse as quickly.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    33. Member irishmpls_2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Dulloof, Minnesota
      Posts
      1,266
      Vehicles
      1992 Volvo 240 Sedan
      06-21-2012 09:59 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      I don't follow? If you aren't wearing a helmet you are both stupid, and putty. You would do more damage to another object with a helmet then with soft, gooey head. The helmet wouldn't collapse as quickly.
      The question of judgement and stupidity is opinion alone and nothing more. I think drinking, smoking, and drugs are for stuupid people....but I don't expect ieveryone or anyone to agree.

      And what if there is no accident? Does not wearing gear increase accidents? Will I definitely get in an accident because I only wear a lid? Or is how people ride what causes accidents? Reckless rising, complacent riding, not paying attention.....

    34. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,393
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      06-21-2012 10:01 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by irishmpls_2 View Post
      The question of judgement and stupidity is opinion alone and nothing more. I think drinking, smoking, and drugs are for stuupid people....but I don't expect ieveryone or anyone to agree.

      And what if there is no accident? Does not wearing gear increase accidents? Will I definitely get in an accident because I only wear a lid? Or is how people ride what causes accidents? Reckless rising, complacent riding, not paying attention.....
      I think wearing safety gear is common sense, and thus need not be regulated. It's like putting your hand on a burning stove - but there is no law against that? These laws are merely ways for jurisdictions to make a quick buck.

      Accidents are all about how people ride, and how good their spacial awareness is. Some people just don't have the operating speed to allow them to ride safely.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •