VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will buff right out...

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      06-26-2012 01:22 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post

You will buckle the skin and stringers lol
      carbon fiber prefers to shatter/splinter rather than buckle.

Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Vehicles
      A old saab Turbo.
      06-26-2012 01:24 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post

I guess thats my point. It would be a instant write off. Would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

3. 06-26-2012 01:38 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post

The stress causing failure is due to buckling. The failure mode is different yes.

It would be repairable.
      07 TL-S 6MT & a CAAD10

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      06-26-2012 01:45 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      The stress causing failure is due to buckling. The failure mode is different yes.

It would be repairable.
      I didn't say it wasn't repairable...but I am sure to costs and QAA would be extensive.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Vehicles
      2010 Mk6 Golf
      06-26-2012 06:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      In the crazy French contraption that I fly, you release all pressure on the stick on touchdown and the 'derotation program' eases in a little down elevator and brings the nose down with a thunk.
      Very strange. It's smoother if you ease in a little forward stick after the mains make contact, then pull back a teenie weenie bit just as the nosewheel touches. Silly fly-by-wire airplane.

And yeah, once you decide to go around, you commit and go.
      Crazy French contraption.

The 777 might do something similar, but I like my old manual Boeing. I was telling a couple of our company 777 pilots how everything in the 767 is connected to something via cables and hydraulic actuators. Hell, even the thrust levers connect to a hydromechanical fuel control; they feel beefy and take a good push to move. I think they were drooling a little bit. Real airplanes for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      My point is that there is so much inertia is that a massive crosswind like that will slam you to the ground before you have a chance to:

1. Apply the full throttle
      2. Have the fans spin up and give you enough thrust to get up again
      It'll still do it, no problem. The engines will only go back to approach idle anyway, which means they're ready to spool up in a hurry if necessary. In fact, adding go around thrust will more than likely spare the nose, as the pitching moment from the underslung engines will bring the nose back up. That pitching moment can be rather impressive if you're not ready for it, so protecting the tail is paramount if you've touched back down.

Anyway, Japan can get pretty dicey. I landed the aircraft type in question in Japan a few months back with a 35-40 knot crosswind and moderate turbulence down final; I was spring loaded to go around, but the turbulence settled out enough to put it down safely. The airplane is very stable, but the physics work the same as anything else. Just a bad day for this crew.
      Last edited by unreal; 06-26-2012 at 07:08 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 vw corrado
      06-30-2012 08:06 PM #31
      Actually that totally depends on which model 767. Most have fadec engines, thus no cable to the fuel control. We have cables on our cf6-80a2 motors but t hats it. The rest are fadec engines.

07-01-2012 09:15 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by NHDUBN#2 View Post
      I guess thats my point. It would be a instant write off. Would it not?
      That and liquefying all the passengers thanks to the billions of carbon shards
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2010 Mk6 Golf
      07-01-2012 08:48 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by twilk View Post
      Actually that totally depends on which model 767. Most have fadec engines, thus no cable to the fuel control. We have cables on our cf6-80a2 motors but t hats it. The rest are fadec engines.
      Busted. I was thinking about our non-FADEC jets.

We have 7 767s, 2 of which are non-FADEC. Also, our RB211 757 is non-FADEC. Definitely prefer the FADEC from a pilot's perspective.

9. 07-12-2012 12:23 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by stratclub View Post
      A lot of work but is repairable. They will shore up the aircraft and remove the skins on the top side that wrinkled, splice in stringer sections were stringers were buckled and then inspect for damage from the nose gear back to the center wing. The repaired aircraft will be as strong or stronger than than the aircraft was before the incident.
      I was reading about this on airliners.net, and the consensus was the same, yes, it will be repaired. While this kind of damage doesnt happen all the time, it has happened before, and has been repaired unless the airframe is very old. Im sure boeings go team will be on there way out to work on it soon.

10. Member
      07-12-2012 04:28 PM #35
      Wow. It is so freaking cool to have actual 7x7 pilots on this board. I am a total airplane nerd. I will be working on my private pilots license in the next year or so.

Can't wait.

11. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MkVII GTI, E9
      07-12-2012 07:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye(OH) View Post
      Wow. It is so freaking cool to have actual 7x7 pilots on this board. I am a total airplane nerd. I will be working on my private pilots license in the next year or so.

Can't wait.
      I just hung out with unreal in person recently. Aside from being good at drums in Rock Band, he's rather underwhelming to meet.

Just j/k. Good to see you buddy. I wish I could have recorded that womans face in the Cheesecake Factory when you were talking about flying the 76.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      My 2800CS #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

Vehicles
      2010 Mk6 Golf
      07-13-2012 12:45 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      I just hung out with unreal in person recently. Aside from being good at drums in Rock Band, he's rather underwhelming to meet.

Just j/k. Good to see you buddy. I wish I could have recorded that womans face in the Cheesecake Factory when you were talking about flying the 76.
      Hahahaha, I loved that.

Marci: *reciting technical data on the BE99*
      Me: Man, I don't even know what the flap speeds are on the 76. If I want to slow, I look at the placard.
      Random lady:

Looks like I may very well end up moving back to Socal this year...if so, I'll make my way up there more often.
      Last edited by unreal; 07-13-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      07-14-2012 05:50 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye(OH) View Post

Can't wait.
      Lesson 1......Private Pilot Certificate. Some examiners etc. will get bent out of shape if you call it a License. Seriously.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

14. Member
      07-14-2012 06:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Lesson 1......Private Pilot Certificate. Some examiners etc. will get bent out of shape if you call it a License. Seriously.
      Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12