Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: EPC & CE light on '07 B6 Passat coming on, accelerates poorly, any ideas?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat
      06-21-2012 03:42 PM #1
      (I think I initially posted this in the B5 forum accidentally; my car is a B6, not a B5...)

I have a 2007 Passat with >120k miles on it. For the last month or so, occasionally when I start the car up, the EPC (I think it stands for Electronic Power Control) light and the Check Engine (the engine sign) light comes on. When I hit the gas, it barely goes past 20 and seems to be revving really high (almost redlining) before it finally accelerates. Needless to say, this is not a good thing; especially when it happens on the freeway.

I called around to a few mechanics but they all want to see the car and run the computer codes on it before they even tell me what's wrong with it; which I am loathe to do just yet because I don't want them to charge me an extra $100 for a diagnostic for a repair I may not even get done with that mechanic. Meanwhile I'm driving around feeling like I should put my feet on the ground like Fred Flintstone to gain speed.

In the research I've done online, I've seen that it may be an issue with the throttle wire or some other wiring issue. My question is, has anyone else had this problem, and if so, do you have any suggestions? I'd like to at least get an idea of what the source of the problem is and how much such a repair would cost before I go somewhere and get sticker shock. (if there's another discussion thread somewhere on this forum regarding this issue that I may have overlooked, that would be great too; at least I'd know that I'm not alone, haha)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide!

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      06-21-2012 03:52 PM #2
      Take it to a AutoZone or O'Reillys Auto parts and ask them to read the codes. It's free and will help us make a better diagnose of the issues. Without the codes, we are just shooting in the dark.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

Vehicles
      Mine: 2010 Passat Hers: 2012 B8 A4
      06-21-2012 03:55 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by tmosley75 View Post
      (I think I initially posted this in the B5 forum accidentally; my car is a B6, not a B5...)

I have a 2007 Passat with >120k miles on it. For the last month or so, occasionally when I start the car up, the EPC (I think it stands for Electronic Power Control) light and the Check Engine (the engine sign) light comes on. When I hit the gas, it barely goes past 20 and seems to be revving really high (almost redlining) before it finally accelerates. Needless to say, this is not a good thing; especially when it happens on the freeway.

I called around to a few mechanics but they all want to see the car and run the computer codes on it before they even tell me what's wrong with it; which I am loathe to do just yet because I don't want them to charge me an extra $100 for a diagnostic for a repair I may not even get done with that mechanic. Meanwhile I'm driving around feeling like I should put my feet on the ground like Fred Flintstone to gain speed.

In the research I've done online, I've seen that it may be an issue with the throttle wire or some other wiring issue. My question is, has anyone else had this problem, and if so, do you have any suggestions? I'd like to at least get an idea of what the source of the problem is and how much such a repair would cost before I go somewhere and get sticker shock. (if there's another discussion thread somewhere on this forum regarding this issue that I may have overlooked, that would be great too; at least I'd know that I'm not alone, haha)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide!
      won't know unless you do some diagnostics. I'd say blown diverter valve (or some kind of boost leak) or your camfollower has failed. if its your camfollower, $100 is the least of your problems
      Unitronic > APR Switched from APR to UNI and never looking back
      CW '10 Passat 2.0TSI: UNI Stage 2 VMR V705 19x8.5 et45 Podi Boost gauge/pod AWE DV, Turbo Outlet Pipe BSH Boost Tap BillyBoat 3" TBE BFI Stg2 Dogbone/motor mount/trans. mount KW V2 coils Forge Twintake(1st on Passat/CC) JBL W12GTi MKII HEX+CAN vagcom, Podi.ca podi free ship code: NINOSHIP, VMR | Wheels velocitymotoring.com, VolksBHAN in September

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat
      06-21-2012 03:59 PM #4
      Oh, really? I didn't know they did that (mechanically inclined I am not; I high five myself for being able to change my own oil or replace a flat tire. Don't judge me.).

Ok, I'll see if they can give me the codes and follow up....

06-21-2012 04:21 PM #5
      My car recently through both the same codes. It was my cam follower. Same symptoms as you also. Take it into VW asap try to see if they will warranty your car even though your at the 120k mark.

Vehicles
      03 jetta 2.0, 99 jetta mkIII and a 51 chevy
      06-24-2012 01:19 AM #6
      i believe there is a tsb about it and it comes in a kit to re-wire the connecter at the throttle body. new connector and contacts. i had to do a couple when working for vw