Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Please show of hands and let me know.......

1. 06-21-2012 06:01 PM #1
      Who has the new Samsung Galaxy S3. I was going to get it, but I keep hearing rumors that the new IPHONE 5 is going to be off the chain!! So my curiosity got the best of me and now I will wait for the stupid IPHONE and see for myself what is all the hype about.

But if you do have the new SG3 please let us know how you like it..........the pros & cons.

Thank you

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      06-21-2012 07:04 PM #2
      i heard the new iPhone will have 5G and a holographic display.

i'd totally wait out in the rain for that.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

3. 06-21-2012 09:09 PM #3
      I'd totally wait for the iPhone 6.

laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      06-23-2012 01:28 AM #4
      and it's off the toilet chain
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

Vehicles
      Bagged MKV (FS)
      06-30-2012 01:23 PM #5
      Just bought the S3 and I love everything about it. Beats my old iPhone 4S hands down. After using iPhones for so long, I just got bored. I don't support Apple and their lawsuits either.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2004 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

07-02-2012 12:44 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MrKevkevL View Post
      Just bought the S3 and I love everything about it. Beats my old iPhone 4S hands down. After using iPhones for so long, I just got bored. I don't support Apple and their lawsuits either.

Converting one at a time!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

7. 07-03-2012 04:18 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MrKevkevL View Post

Really, you got bored of the Iphone. That is weird you say that, 3 of my friends said exactly the same thing and got the Samsung Galaxy S2. Why is that? What's so boring about the Iphone?

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      07-03-2012 04:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by EvoJetta View Post
      Really, you got bored of the Iphone. That is weird you say that, 3 of my friends said exactly the same thing and got the Samsung Galaxy S2. Why is that? What's so boring about the Iphone?

Ever heard of the walled garden?

Some people aren't into that.

9. 07-05-2012 11:57 AM #9
      Walled garden, active restrictions on modifying the device, extreme lack of customizability in stock form.

Jailbroken devices aside (which Apple constantly fights to stop), every iphone functions exactly the same, and they look 99% the same.

Android is open and fully customizable. You can run any app you want. You are encouraged to drastically change the look and operation of the UI as you see fit. Every Android device can look and operate totally differently from the next.

10. 07-06-2012 02:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      Walled garden, active restrictions on modifying the device, extreme lack of customizability in stock form.

Jailbroken devices aside (which Apple constantly fights to stop), every iphone functions exactly the same, and they look 99% the same.

Android is open and fully customizable. You can run any app you want. You are encouraged to drastically change the look and operation of the UI as you see fit. Every Android device can look and operate totally differently from the next.
      Ahhh I see! Yeah I can see how that can be boring. Thanks Jesse for explaining to me what that meant. I had no idea. Do you think the new Iphone 5 will be the same and have so many restricitions?

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      07-06-2012 03:59 PM #11
      Ahhh I see! Yeah I can see how that can be boring. Thanks Jesse for explaining to me what that meant. I had no idea. Do you think the new Iphone 5 will be the same and have so many restricitions?

It's from apple.

Is that a serious question?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-06-2012 04:42 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post
      It's from apple.

Is that a serious question?
      Yes, it will have so many restrictions

Remember when Apple ran the 1984 ad bashing IBM computers? Apple has become IBM
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      07-07-2012 01:23 AM #13
      I think they're worse, since IBM didn't sue every single competitor blindly and incessantly.
      XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      07-07-2012 11:36 AM #14
      I've been seriously considering jumping ship from Apple to Android soon. I've been eligible for an upgrade with AT&T for quite some time. My iPhone 4 is still plugging along great...no issues with reception, battery, etc. But just like you guys said, I'm starting to get bored of it.

Been thinking about the S3 or the OneX. Both seem pretty solid...but I'm just not sure yet. I'm so heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem at this point...with all my purchased apps, iTunes Match, iCloud, etc...it wouldn't be the easiest transition to Android.

I'll probably wait for the iPhone 5 to see how it is, how the reviews are, etc. If it's a solid upgrade, I'll probably go with that. If not, I'll be jumping ship...

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      07-07-2012 04:24 PM #15
      Who has the new Samsung Galaxy S3. I was going to get it, but I keep hearing rumors that the new IPHONE 5 is going to be off the chain!! So my curiosity got the best of me and now I will wait for the stupid IPHONE and see for myself what is all the hype about.

But if you do have the new SG3 please let us know how you like it..........the pros & cons.

Thank you
      One of my coworkers just bought one and it's nice, but holy freaking brick is it HUGE. She's a woman, so she can carry it around in her purse. But as a guy, unless I'm wearing pants with a large cargo pants style pocket, there really isn't an easy way to carry that thing around. I don't walk around carrying things in general anyway and am not going to start carrying around a bag just because of my phone.

We're going backwards with technology in my opinion. We started with brick bagged phones and worked our way down to something the size of a pack of cigarettes. Now we're starting to work our way back up again because everyone wants large screens. I can see it now - someone with a laptop up to their head talking on the phone. "Look! Not only is it a phone, but it also doubles as a laptop!" I understand the appeal of having integrated gizmos, but it's getting silly.

Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      07-07-2012 07:14 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      One of my coworkers just bought one and it's nice, but holy freaking brick is it HUGE. She's a woman, so she can carry it around in her purse. But as a guy, unless I'm wearing pants with a large cargo pants style pocket, there really isn't an easy way to carry that thing around. I don't walk around carrying things in general anyway and am not going to start carrying around a bag just because of my phone.

We're going backwards with technology in my opinion. We started with brick bagged phones and worked our way down to something the size of a pack of cigarettes. Now we're starting to work our way back up again because everyone wants large screens. I can see it now - someone with a laptop up to their head talking on the phone. "Look! Not only is it a phone, but it also doubles as a laptop!" I understand the appeal of having integrated gizmos, but it's getting silly.
      I've got the Galaxy Note which is even bigger, and it fits easily in the pockets of all my pants. So I don't think there'd be a problem with the S3.
      "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      07-08-2012 08:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
      I've got the Galaxy Note which is even bigger, and it fits easily in the pockets of all my pants. So I don't think there'd be a problem with the S3.
      Maybe you've got bigger pockets than I do, but there is no way I am carrying something that large around. As I said, it starts defeating the purpose of a portable PHONE in my opinion. I'm not tethered to the internet like most people seem to be nowadays anyway, but even if I was, I've got computers at home to do my serious surfing on.

Like I said, I just think we are walking backwards with regards to portable electronics. At what point do people realize "wow, you know this thing is kinda big...."? I spend way too much time in coffee shops and it seems, for the most part anyway, that just about anyone who wants them has access to full size tablets, laptops, netbooks, etc. While integration is nice and all, if I really want to do serious computing or surfing, I'm going to use something more practical to do it. I do not want an ever increasingly larger and heavier phone that I can compute with - it defeats the purpose. If you really want to do it, why not just go ahead and make iPads, laptops, etc. capable of cell communication and skip the middle people?

Just me mind you

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      07-08-2012 06:59 PM #18
      Yep. Just you.

Stop wearing skinny jeans.

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      07-08-2012 11:12 PM #19
      Yeah, if you didn't wear girl jeans, you wouldn't have any problems. I wear boot cut jeans or slacks and have no problem with the Galaxy Note and the SIII is a good bit smaller than it.
      XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      07-09-2012 04:02 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Maybe you've got bigger pockets than I do, but there is no way I am carrying something that large around. As I said, it starts defeating the purpose of a portable PHONE in my opinion. I'm not tethered to the internet like most people seem to be nowadays anyway, but even if I was, I've got computers at home to do my serious surfing on.

Like I said, I just think we are walking backwards with regards to portable electronics. At what point do people realize "wow, you know this thing is kinda big...."? I spend way too much time in coffee shops and it seems, for the most part anyway, that just about anyone who wants them has access to full size tablets, laptops, netbooks, etc. While integration is nice and all, if I really want to do serious computing or surfing, I'm going to use something more practical to do it. I do not want an ever increasingly larger and heavier phone that I can compute with - it defeats the purpose. If you really want to do it, why not just go ahead and make iPads, laptops, etc. capable of cell communication and skip the middle people?

Just me mind you
      Big phones like the Note and the Galaxy SIII may be big for phones, but compared to tablets and laptops they're still pretty tiny. I mean, the Note, the largest phone on sale today, is only 170g (only 30g heavier than the MUCH smaller iPhone!), which is less than half the mass of even a 7 inch tablet, a third the mass of an iPad, and only about 15% of the mass of even a very light laptop computer.
      Last edited by The Chemist; 07-09-2012 at 04:04 AM.
      "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

- Jack Layton, 1950-2011

Vehicles
      09 TiG 6MT and a 1990 Cabriolet
      07-10-2012 12:59 PM #21
      Just got the GIII and I dig it...

Past 2 phones have been iphone 4 and the droid 4. I like then GIII more then the last two.

I did love the physical keyboard that was on my droid4 but the screen on the GIII is hands down so much better.

My Build
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...s-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ih8erickempf View Post
      Im a dude and drive an EA edition cab w/ teddy bear wheels... sometimes you just gotta have some fun at the expense of the stereotype

22. 07-10-2012 04:10 PM #22
      I still love my SG2, even though it's getting a bit beat up.