Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TT-RS KW V3 coilovers installed and are awesome!

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      06-21-2012 11:21 PM #1
      Got the coilovers installed a few weeks ago and am so impressed with this kit. It is the new externally adjustable KW V3 coilover kit with MagRide disable modules.

Car instantly feels so much better, the numbness feeling is gone. You can feel the road, but it is still very comfortable. I have the compression settings on almost full stiff (rebound is the at default medium setting), and it isn't harsh at all. Firm yet comfortable with lots of feel, the exact opposite of the stock suspensions' sport mode. Their isn't a lot of height adjust-ability, right now the rears are all the way up and the fronts are almost all the way down. I believe you can get a rear spring spacer for the adjustment collar if you want to go higher, but I personally am very happy with the height/stance of the car as is.

I had Bilstein PSS10's on my R32, and these are miles better than those. I have heard lots of good things about KW V3's and these surpass my expectations. They really are the perfect coilover, and even though this new model isn't technically out yet, if you contact the awesome guys over at HPA like I did they will hook you up!

Here you can see the purple aluminum dial on these new externally adjustable V3's

Dampening adjustment is at the bottom of the strut, and Rebound adjustment is at the top. These are the fronts

These are the backs

Test Drive roller

I had the front spoiler lower lip wrapped in gloss black vinyl. It really brings out the upper lip, and I am really happy with how it came out! Best $40 ever!

Last edited by bigstu; 06-21-2012 at 11:27 PM.

2. 06-22-2012 12:10 AM #2
      I think KW is the best suspension maker in the world.
      KW DDC is future in suspension technologies.

http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_ddc.php

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/...-of-suspension
      Nobody's Tomorrow is Guaranteed.

3. Member
      06-22-2012 01:29 AM #3
      That wrap on the lower lip looks really great!

- Jeremy -

Vehicles
      2006 audi TT, 1999 VW Golf TDI biturbo conversion 300hp, 2004 BMW 320d
      06-22-2012 05:28 AM #4
      Nice car, good choice on suspension, just like mine.

5. 06-22-2012 08:06 AM #5
      Very nice setup. Can you give us the specs on your wheel/tire setup? Thanks.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      06-22-2012 09:24 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      That wrap on the lower lip looks really great!

- Jeremy -

Holy Crap +1!

Makes the car look meaner! I'm hoping you are okay with us stealing the idea!

Mines a Sepang Blue in Canada so i don't think you have to worry much...
      Last edited by YYC Dubber; 06-22-2012 at 09:26 AM.
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

7. 06-22-2012 10:55 AM #7
      That looks fantastic! The stance, splitter mod and OZs all look great.

8. 06-22-2012 11:43 AM #8
      looks great!
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 11:59 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TT-RS View Post
      Very nice setup. Can you give us the specs on your wheel/tire setup? Thanks.
      Here is the thread with specs on the wheels, they are for sale: OZ Wheels for Sale

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 12:01 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      Makes the car look meaner! I'm hoping you are okay with us stealing the idea!
      Steal away!! I think they should have come from the dealer with the lower lip done in a contrasting color.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      06-22-2012 01:40 PM #11
      just curious if the coil overs allow u to run wider wheels and tires with more concavity in the wheels.

My pet peeve about our cars is its difficult to get deep concave wheels because of the offsets
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      06-22-2012 02:42 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      Steal away!! I think they should have come from the dealer with the lower lip done in a contrasting color.
      Have any up-close pics of the lip now?
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

13. 06-22-2012 03:14 PM #13
      Here is the thread with specs on the wheels, they are for sale: OZ Wheels for Sale
      Oh boy. I may have to pick these up from you, after all, I just missed out on purchasing your H&R springs

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Turbo/DSG and 2008 Audi A4 Cab 2.0
      06-22-2012 09:30 PM #14
      Do you have to take the wheels off to adjust?
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2008 Audi A4 2.0T Cab (Hi-Flow Cat and APR Tune!)
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '00 TTQC 180 Mk 1, '10 TTSC
      06-22-2012 10:44 PM #15
      Got the coilovers installed a few weeks ago and am so impressed with this kit. It is the new externally adjustable KW V3 coilover kit with MagRide disable modules.

Car instantly feels so much better...
      That sounds really good.

A quick search indicates that the kit runs <$2k-ish.

No dealer - it seems - in my area according to the KW site.

Do you have any info on installation process? Any non-easily-reversible modifications (e.g. cutting metal, wiring harnesses, etc?)
      Code:
      Past:                                     Present:
      '00 TTQC 180 Black (Mk-I - the real Mk-I) '00 TTQC 180 Amulet Red (Mk-I - the real Mk-I)
      '01 TTQC 225 Black (w/MK-I control arms)  '10 TTSC Solar Orange
                                                '12 TTRS Panther Black Crystal

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 11:53 PM #16
      Also, what's new about these V3's? Is the MagDelete different?
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

17. 06-23-2012 03:41 AM #17
      I think it sits a bid to low on the front.
      I always keep the distance between the edge of the fender and the edge of the rim the same at the front and the rear.
      Based on that the front need to go up a bid.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      06-23-2012 02:46 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by R5T View Post
      I think it sits a bid to low on the front.
      I always keep the distance between the edge of the fender and the edge of the rim the same at the front and the rear.
      Based on that the front need to go up a bid.
      I'd agree with that. The car should handle better with the front lifted further up, too.
      Last edited by Marty; 06-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

19. Member
      06-24-2012 02:01 AM #19
      Well, looks a touch low however all depends on how the car is setup ref handling. Offcourse, the suspension maybe setup to not compress any further thus being this low may not affect handling.

Personally, I like the look as it keeps things nice and tight looking similar to a GT3RS look.

20. 06-24-2012 05:19 AM #20
      btw, any rubbing going on, front or rear. ?

21. 06-25-2012 03:42 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 32vSC View Post
      Anyone else interested in this set up can contact me directly by IM or e-mail.

This was a special order from Germany, but I can drop ship anywhere in North America at a very resonable price...

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 09:59 PM #22
      Darrly, what's special about this setup compared to the previous v3 ? I'll likley go this route if the first few phases of my protect work out soon.
      Sentari,
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

23. 06-26-2012 12:19 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by sentari View Post
      Darryl, what's special about this setup compared to the previous v3 ? I'll likley go this route if the first few phases of my protect work out soon.
      This kit has the new V3 adjustment knobs, which allow for a much easier (and more precise adjustment).

This particular kit I beleive was also equipped with the magnetic ride cancellation kit, so the factory suspension would not be "missed" by the other electronics in the car, such as the ABS and Headlamp Aim electronics.

24. 06-26-2012 01:50 PM #24
      do the clubsports come with the easier adjustment feature?
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

25. 06-26-2012 02:01 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Poverty View Post
      Do the clubsports come with the easier adjustment feature?
      They do as well. Kits using the old adjustment methods and new adjustment knobs still carry the same part# at KW.

If you are interested in a quote, e-mail me directly, and I can make a special request for the new-style Clubsport kit in Germany.

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 05:21 PM #26
      Thanks for all the comments everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town in Palm Springs for the wife's 30th! Put the seats down, loaded the TT-RS up and drove it out there. Handled the trip wonderfully, very comfortable, no issues, and a lot of thumbs up and waves on the road. People really seem to love the TT-RS when they see it, its pretty yet bada$$.

Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      just curious if the coil overs allow u to run wider wheels and tires with more concavity in the wheels.

My pet peeve about our cars is its difficult to get deep concave wheels because of the offsets
      I believe so but am not 100% sure. I know there are several TT-RS's overseas running 9.5" and even 10" width tires. I am going to move to a 19x9.5 et48 or 50 and run a 265/30 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08. I will let everyone know if/when they fit.
      Link to TT UK Forum with 10inch Wide wheel info - its about half way down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by TT-RS View Post
      Oh boy. I may have to pick these up from you, after all, I just missed out on purchasing your H&R springs
      Do it!!!! I will give you a good deal! Where are you located? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sentari View Post
      Do you have to take the wheels off to adjust?
      No, you don't have to take the wheels or struts off to adjust. The dampening adjustment can be reached without even jacking up the car (if you have long monkey arms like me). Its at the bottom of the strut both front and rear and has a precise click for each setting.

For the rebound adjustment you have to access the top of the strut. For the front, I need to cut a small hole in the rain tray for easy access. In the rear, you have to take out the side trunk carpet panels.

But, these are the kind of coilovers you can set once and be happy with. Maybe go a little stiffer for track use, but even with these set to full stiff they are still very very comfortable. Firm without being harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by 32vSC View Post
      That sounds really good.

A quick search indicates that the kit runs <$2k-ish.

Do you have any info on installation process? Any non-easily-reversible modifications (e.g. cutting metal, wiring harnesses, etc?)
      List Price: $2639.99 + $65.00 shipping (non-magride kit is $340.00 cheaper)

HPA Price takes a lot off that, but if you want the new style you have to pay for shipping from Germany. Well worth it, and I don't know of another KW reseller who is even willing to do this. HPA also had the lowest price I could find regardless of new/old model kit. HPA's customer service is awesome. I dealt with Darryl and he answered all my back and forth emails and guided my buying decision as I was also thinking of getting the clubsports. Regardless of where you are, buy from HPA, they will drop ship from Germany or California depending on the model. Mine came from Germany direct and took 3 weeks exactly.

This is a pure bolt on. Even with the magride modules, they just plug in. I have my stock suspension in my KW box sitting on a shelf just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by 996cab View Post
      Well, looks a touch low however all depends on how the car is setup ref handling. Offcourse, the suspension maybe setup to not compress any further thus being this low may not affect handling.

Personally, I like the look as it keeps things nice and tight looking similar to a GT3RS look.
      Thanks!! I am really happy with the stance and handling the way it is. I may move things around once I get my track wheels on there, but I've always liked my cars with a bit of forward rake. I also think cars with a big front end like the TT need a bit of rake to help balance the car. Plus the TT-RS squats so much, as soon as you give it any amount of gas the rear drops .5" at least.

Quote Originally Posted by R5T View Post
      btw, any rubbing going on, front or rear. ?
      Good question Hans! The answer is yes. At this height with these wheels/tires there was a lot. I had to roll/pull the front fenders, trim some fender lining. In the rear I shaved the bumper clip and trimmed some fender lining there also. Now, I am virtually rub free except for on very aggressive turns/dips. Luckily I know the best fender roller, and my front fenders are now rolled to perfection. If anyone needs his contact info let me know, he's in LA.

When I just had my H&R springs the fronts didn't rub at all with these wheels/tires. The rear bumper clip is a very easy adjustment to make without damaging the clip. Just took my dremel and slowly trimmed away the unnecessary amount of metal and plastic and that free'd up about 5mm-10mm of clearance.

I could have skipped all that and went down to a 5mm spacer all around instead of 10mm. But since I originally bought 15mm spacers and bolts, I didn't want to buy another set. I also want to run a wide track wheel, so I knew I would have to bite the bullet at some point.

Fender rolling pics:

The amount of fender liner cut out front and rear

Close up front height, there is still a slight gap up front
      Last edited by bigstu; 06-27-2012 at 05:46 PM.

27. 06-28-2012 01:39 PM #27
      Did he use something like this to do de rolling.

28. 08-13-2012 11:33 AM #28
      Bigstu - Question regarding your v3 suspension?

1. Did your v3 suspension package come with camber plates? If not, any need for camber adjustment beyond OEM I'm speaking for track purposes?

2. How stiff is the v3 vs OEM ride as a daily driver?

3. Did you consider the v3 DDC vs the V3 package?

Thanks