I got really bored today and decided to be somewhat productive. My creativity got the best of me so i decided to see if i could throw together a custom plaid shift boot.
This was more of a learning process than anything so I decided to share my mistakes and triumphs with the vortex world.
OEM shift knob
hot glue gun
fabric of your choice
-Remove the shift knob from the car and disassemble. Since the boot was useless to me I just yanked on it until it separated from the knob, then pried the rest of it off.
-Use the old boot as a template and trace the shape onto your new fabric. You want two of the same halves since that's how the OEM is set up.
-Sew the two halves together down the two straight sides ONLY. Note: Face the sides with the tracing marks OUT because this will be turned inside out.
-After that's done, turn it inside out and it should look like this....
-This step is pretty optional but it's mostly just for durability purposes. Hot glue the stitching on the inside toward the bottom to keep the fabric from coming undone during those hard shifts
-Now for the hardest part, staple the bottom of the boot to the plastic bottom while simultaneously stretching it. And re-attach the knob (easy).
-For the last step, hot glue all the frayed edges and corners. Then re-install. Should look something like this. BTW this last pic was taken before I tucked all the corners and glued them so it's a little sloppy.
Feel free to post and let me know what you think