Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Alarm Goes off Spontaneously

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 V8 Silver
      06-25-2012 04:29 PM #1
      I have a 2006 V8 Phaeton and about 4 months ago the car alarm has begun to go off spontanously while the car is parked. The dealer found no fault codes but concluded that my batteries needed replacement (~60K miles). I had both batteries replaced and that seemed to have solved the problem for awhile, but now it was begun again.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Buck

Vehicles
      Phaeton 04W12, Crystal Grey & Extended Leather, '03AudiA4 1.8T, '51 BMW R25
      06-25-2012 06:25 PM #2
      Hi Buck,

This sounds a bit like a problem with your KESSY. With all horror stories in mind about drowned kessies, you may want to check that there is no water ingress somewhere.
      Possible ingress can occur due to clogged drains in the air intake plenum chamber (left side in particular), the plugs in the bottom of the car, just behind the left front wheel and clogged evaporator drains. There are various threads in the TOC regarding these issues, giving directions how to diagnose them and how to solve.

Willem

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 V8 Silver
      06-26-2012 02:04 PM #3
      We don't get alot of rain in So Cal so I am hoping that isn't the problem...

Buck

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      06-26-2012 06:35 PM #4
      Hi Buck,

Did the dealer scan show what the last alarm condition was caused by? This information should be available in there.

Obviously, this would help isolate the problem area to the ultrasonics in the cockpit, the tilt sensor, door handles etc etc.

Chris

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '04 VW Phaeton (V8), Coucou gray/Anthracite, Comfort pkg, 270W audio system
      06-28-2012 11:30 AM #5
      I had a very similar problem with an '03 Jetta awhile back. While locked, it would honk and flash randomly. So as not to disturb the neighbors, I had to leave it unlocked at night (reluctantly, since it couldn't be garaged at the time).

After much reading, I found the window modules/regulators were commonly replaced for this. I think the proper name was "Comfort & Control Module," because the security system runs through the window module. The car kept thinking there was a break in the loop (i.e. the door being opened when locked).

Anyway, this was my experience with a similar model year VW. Not sure if the Phaeton's innards function the same way, but the window module specifics might be something to check out.

Good luck!