Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0l 9a block w/ G60 8v head and G-ladder

Vehicles
      1986/VW/Jetta Carrat
      06-25-2012 07:46 PM #1
      Ok I'm New and maybe this has been posted already but I haven't found any solid conclusions.

9A 2.0l block w/ 8v g60 head.

I called BBM and they offered to make custom piston to gives us the right CR 8:0:1 with ARP head bolts and ABA metal gasket.

All the parts from both engines are available and really just waiting on the order.

Now what type of power result will we get is the massive head ache

And I have seen post and chit chat about people trying but never a final post nor pic or even a youtube clip.

If you know of this setup being completed, maybe sum pic or clips would be helpful if not then this will be the First full build on the Vortex.

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 97 Triple White New Beetle 2.5 6SP Auto (JUA)
      06-26-2012 02:47 AM #2
      It was done back in the 90's. They used a bored out PG block iirc. One thing to keep in mind is that the increase to 2.0 will necessitate a 62 mm G-lader pulley to get your boost up to 14-15 lb vs a 1.8l motor would normally be at 18lb. Talk to Derek @ scientific rabbit. The power comes from porting/polishing the head w/ 7mm valve stems.

My 1.9l with a 65 mm pulley puts out almost the same boost as a stock pulley due to displacement increase. I'll have the MFA check the boost press tommor. My big power increase came from a Stg III SR (otherwise stock) PG port matched head/exh/intake.

Check out this post
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...d-TT-Valve-Kit
      ¡¡ opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      1986/VW/Jetta Carrat
      06-28-2012 12:22 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      It was done back in the 90's. They used a bored out PG block iirc. One thing to keep in mind is that the increase to 2.0 will necessitate a 62 mm G-lader pulley to get your boost up to 14-15 lb vs a 1.8l motor would normally be at 18lb. Talk to Derek @ scientific rabbit. The power comes from porting/polishing the head w/ 7mm valve stems.

My 1.9l with a 65 mm pulley puts out almost the same boost as a stock pulley due to displacement increase. I'll have the MFA check the boost press tommor. My big power increase came from a Stg III SR (otherwise stock) PG port matched head/exh/intake.

Check out this post
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...d-TT-Valve-Kit
      Thank you sooooo much!!! Everything we were going to order almost comes out to the 16v g60 kit. 1 more week and we'll have the $$ to get the kit.

Was also having a hard time locating the pulpy.

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 97 Triple White New Beetle 2.5 6SP Auto (JUA)
      06-30-2012 12:38 AM #4
      I'm surprised I never checked this before.

It's been a long time since I did a couple of full pulls up to 6.8 /6.9K on the motor since I got the 1.9L. Running a stock G-lader with a 65mm pulley I peaked boost on the MFA at 255 / 17.4 psi. I've got to throw a tape on the pulley I got from the Corrado Connection (Steve Klatt) over three years ago.

Either I got a damn fresh used charger from Steve ($775) or it has a 63 mm pulley. I should be around 16+ psi for a 65mm. 17.4lb is more accurate for 63mm with a displacement increase up to 1.9L. I had an issue with belt slip in the past and a smaller size pulley would account for this.

I get the VWMS charger back from BBM around Monday.
      Last edited by petethepug; 06-30-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Vehicles
      07-04-2012 02:40 AM #5
      VWMS charger is home from BBM. The stock / spare charger is running a smaller 62mm pulley. This means the displacement increase to 1.9L is negligible. The norm for this pulley is 18lb+. I'm glad to be incorrect about the pressure drop.

I've got a out another 300 mi to break in the VWMS G-Ladder to see what it makes with the 65mm pulley.

Vehicles
      1986/VW/Jetta Carrat
      08-17-2012 11:13 PM #6
      Any updates after 300k??
      Our project is on hold for the rest of summer. We have the BBM KIT and most of all parts neded for a 16v g60 build. We over look and major piece with the intake manifold. We are still in the hunt for scirocco 16v DOHC. and the headers we get next week.
      All in all with the extra time we'll just save and get the custome piston from BBM to make our build solid from the start. I will be asking for more feedback on your pulley situation to be prepared for our first runns.
      Also going with a Megasquirt II to manage it all!! We already have it build, just need someone to test the specs to match our build. I was originally suppose to be on a mk3 2.0l turbo, but that never panned out.. I've had it in my closet for over 4 years. If you can recommend someone i can see about the Squirt let me know.

Cheers