Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which fun-to-drive small SUV - Tiguan or Forester XT?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-27-2012 07:03 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by spongebob_squarepants View Post
      How big of a bummer is the Subaru's 4 speed AT in this day of 6+ speeds?
      It's terrible and sucks what very little joy the vehicle delivers right out of it. I made the mistake of buying a nonturbo Forester, and thankfully I was able to sell it and make a bit of money on the sale, because there was a competent, willing chassis buried under a thousand layers of studied Japanese blandness and frustratingly soggy tuning. It'd be brilliant if it were allowed to be, but its crappy transmissions, mediocre fuel economy, boring interior, and drab exterior Harrison Bergeron its ass right into the ground.

The Tiguan is cramped, desperately overpriced, not as efficient as its newer competition, and I think the interior is drab and ugly. Its liftover height is ridiculous, and it's got less room than a Fit inside. It does ride well and it has excellent power, and the sound system is great, but it's not a class leader in any category I can think of. Between the two you listed, if you will not consider anything else, it'd be the one to buy....but:

The two most fun to drive small SUVs on the market today are the CX-5 and the Escape. They both better the Forester and Tiguan by 5-10mpg on the highway, they're both a better value, and they're both dynamically quite accomplished. The CX-5 is let down a bit by its modest power output and performance. The Escape is more powerful, not much less fuel efficient, but a little more expensive. Both are excellent drivers without the compromises of the other two.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 06-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

2. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      06-27-2012 10:08 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post

The two most fun to drive small SUVs on the market today are the CX-5 and the Escape. They both better the Forester and Tiguan by 5-10mpg on the highway, they're both a better value, and they're both dynamically quite accomplished. The CX-5 is let down a bit by its modest power output and performance. The Escape is more powerful, not much less fuel efficient, but a little more expensive. Both are excellent drivers without the compromises of the other two.
      I think the CX-5's lack of power would bother me often enough that it is out of the running.

I need to look at the Escape. Even with the Ecoboost 1.6L, it looks like a decent package without getting too pricey.

I'm also looking at the smaller, better handling Nissan Juke. I can't find much negative about the Juke except its lack of cargo space, small-ish back seat, and no armrest.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      06-27-2012 10:46 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by fatiredflyer View Post
      PS
      You won't be pleased with the fit n' finish of the CX5 compared to the Tig; a real letdown, even compared to previous Mazdas.
      Sat in both and found them to be pretty equal. Tiguan was superior, but not by much.

4. 06-27-2012 10:48 PM #39
      In order to get Bi-Xenon's on the Tiguan, you have to have SEL trim?

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-28-2012 05:30 AM #40
      Most things have been said, already, but I would like to add:

• while the cargo space of the Tiguan is small, the rear seats can be not only folded but moved independently 40/20/40 front-back to compensate and to create more flexibility
      • the Tiguan - especially the higher-end models - can be had at significant discount under MSRP
      • in pretty much all comparison tests, the Tiguan did better than EPA advertized, and better than most if not all CUVs (safe some recent models that were not out during those comparos)
      • I don't agree that the Forester handles better, or even anything close to the Tiguan. The old one was comparable - but not the new boat.

Finally, to those stating it's only as big as a Golf - that's just plain wrong (Tiguan vs. Golf):

Passenger Volume .. 95.3 cu. ft. _|_ 92.9 cu. ft.
      Cargo Volume ........ 23.8 cu. ft. _|_ 15.2 cu. ft.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-28-2012 07:27 AM #41
      Thoroughly satisfied with our 2012 Tiguan. We planned on looking at several other vehicles and in the end we only drove the Sportage. We rented it for a weekend road trip and hated it. We kind of just wanted a Tiguan anyway and pulled the trigger on it. The only things with the Tiguan I'm not fond of is having to use premium gas and it could do a little better on mpg, but it's not bad.

7. 06-28-2012 06:05 PM #42
      Have a 2010 Tiguan S FWD. Awesome CUV. If you want economy leave it in Drive. When you want to punch it use Sport mode. Really does make a difference. I'm in Texas so snow is not a problem All other CUVs I tried were underpowered or overpriced. The jump between S and SE is substantial and not worth it to me. I hate pleather and didn't want a sunroof or dubs. The rear hatch is plenty for me.

8. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      06-28-2012 06:15 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      The CX5 is a really nice ride. But it's seriously down on power. 155hp. Especially when you put people or luggage in it.
      Well it's not its fault that it's trying to please fat ass Yankees with its 3300 pound fat ass

9. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      10-12-2012 09:33 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by luckeydoug1 View Post
      The Tiguan is a great vehicle. Just be sure you like the new shift points of the 2012s. There has been quite a bit of discussion about this in the Tiguan forums.
      I did read some owner complaints that the tiptronic mapping in 2012 models causes shifts to happen too soon. There was a factory reflash for this. I wonder if the '13's have this taken care of...

I guess you could drive around in Sport mode, but then you'd probably get 21 mpg.

10. 10-12-2012 10:47 AM #45
      If you don't need the turbo, get a Forester manual.

New Forester arrives next Spring, if you can wait.

We're on our 3rd Subaru and they've been great. You see the dealer once every 9 years - to buy another one.

4EAT is dated but the 2.5l turbo has good low end torque so it hardly even matters. It outruns the Tig easily.

Drove a CX5, and agree with those who found it underpowered, even compred to the non-turbo Forester. Needs a 2.5l SkyActiv, now available in the Mazda6. It's also significantly smaller than the Forester, especially the back seat. Fold the seats down and they hit the front seats.

Funny observation - I test drove an Impreza immediately after the CX5 and guess which had the roomier back seat? The little Subie.

Also tested a manual Sportage - rare, but fun. Clutch/shifter are better than the manual Optima. Visibility is horrific so consider a backup cam mandatory. Problem is loaded ones only come in automatic.

My sister is still shopping for a sport/cute, and we didn't get the Escape yet, plus she's waiting to try the next Forester.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      10-12-2012 11:21 AM #46
      I'd also consider the MINI Countryman. I sold my A3 and ordered mine, have had it 3 months now, couldn't be happier.

I went with the S All4, nice power, great handling, interior is great. Not a ton of storage in the back with the seat up, but a lot with the seat down. So far, no complaints.

Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-12-2012 12:05 PM #47
      Poor OP is all over the map, apparently cross shopping Tiguans, Foresters, Passats, JSWs, and Chrysler 300s

http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=25205703

Note, this is an older thread.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-12-2012 12:18 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      The downsides to the Tiguan compared to the others mentioned is found in the rear hatch as I find that it is barely bigger than my Golf. With that being said it fits our family of four pretty well and in a pinch four normal sized adults and a full-size car seat for short trips. The rear seat is adjustable fore and aft for a little more legroom and/or more storage space.
      Good points. Also to note, the Tiguan is happiest with premium, and you WILL notice a power difference when going up hills (i.e. heading up the slopes) if you try to throw regular gas in. It's also a thirsty little bugger around town, but the hwy mileage is awesome when you cruise at the speed limit + 10-15%. The sport suspension isn't too comfortable around town either, and I am thinking of swapping them out for the 'comfort' suspension.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2012 12:20 PM #49
      PS
      You won't be pleased with the fit n' finish of the CX5 compared to the Tig; a real letdown, even compared to previous Mazdas.
      I have both in the top trim, and this is false.
      The Tiguan shares the interior parts bin with the Golf Plus. It was less squishy parts than a regular Golf (though I guess that's a blessing in disguise). I like the guages more on the CX5, and the NAV on the CX5 (though smaller display) is vast superior to the RNS510.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2012 12:23 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by spongebob_squarepants View Post
      The VW is more plush with a nicer interior and audio system. No DSG on the Tiguan though, just the Tiptronic 6spd AT.
      I have the Dynaudio system on my Tig. It has very crisp mid+highs, but the bass is pretty lacking. In my experience with Subarus, it is extremely easy to upgrade the stock HU (they still use a standard double din, none of that unique-fit sillyness and 6.5" circular speakers all around). For $1000, you can get a really nice SQ system over anything offered in the cute-ute market.

The tiptronic on the Tiguan shifts pretty fast, knows how to engine brake when going down hill (without down shifting), etc.. I am pretty impressed with it. Also, the tippy will have much lower running costs than a DSG. You're not going to win drag races with this thing, even with a DSG (though you might get the DSG-fart noises)

Vehicles
      10-13-2012 05:45 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      Good points.
      Well - not the one about cargo space, as I already pointed out above - unless you find 60% more space and the flexibility of independently moveable rear seats negligible.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

17. 10-13-2012 07:20 AM #52
      It's a VW forum, so guess what will most people vote for?

Ask the same question on subaruforester.org and see what you get there

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-13-2012 07:53 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      New Escape is out now. Go drive it - a 2.0-liter SEL would probably fit the bill well. Forester XT rides better than either the Escape or Tiguan but it's starting to feel old, especially for tech.

Tom
      While these vehicles look awesome, probably drive awesome and have great features the last report I read was the gas mileage was poor compared to some of the others. Granted this was the AWD version, but it shouldn't have to big of a penalty.

When the time comes to replace the wifes car we will be looking at the boring, under powered CRV. When it comes to 70 mile commutes gas mileage is way more important to driving dynamics.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

19. 10-13-2012 08:20 AM #54
      My wife has a 2010 Forester XT. Honestly, the 4-speed isn't great, but because the 2.5T motor has such a flat torque curve and the car is relatively light (~3600 lbs) compared to similarly sized vehicles, it doesn't feel sluggish by any means.

However, "fun to drive" it is not. The suspension is soft and wobbly. Twisty roads aren't fun, as the car leans and bounces. Driving through the hills in eastern Ohio in crosswinds with snowtires and a Thule box on the roof puckered my ass so tight I haven't seen those pants since.

Someone makes a coilover kit, but it's expensive ... WRX parts may fit, but I've heard can mess up the geometry, given the increased travel the stock Forester has.

Lease is up, so we're letting it go and replacing with a friends Dinan X5 4.4i.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      10-13-2012 11:26 AM #55
      PS
      Funny how I feel like its the complete opposite of what you said. I was surprised with fit and finish and overall quality and feel. Even my die-hard VW fan brother agreed with me.

10-13-2012 12:23 PM #56
      I'd go Countryman All4 S. Most fun to drive, great fuel economy, longer warranty, better dealer experience and excellent safety results.

Vehicles
      10-14-2012 02:34 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
      It's a VW forum, so guess what will most people vote for?

Ask the same question on subaruforester.org and see what you get there
      No it's not:

http://forums.subdriven.com/forumdis...The-Car-Lounge
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      10-14-2012 02:36 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by RzinDubs View Post
      I'd go Countryman All4 S. Most fun to drive, great fuel economy, longer warranty, better dealer experience and excellent safety results.
      The countyman is cute, I like it - although it is rather expensive. It's a different class vehicle, though.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12