Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Save A G60 Corrado **WIN A TRIP TO HAWAII** FEELER

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      06-26-2012 09:08 PM #1
      ALOHA! Are you a Corrado G60 gear head? Want a chance to win a trip to Hawaii? If so continue reading..

I love my Corrado and have always wanted one since high school in 1992, back when I owned my first VW, an '85 Golf. I have spent countless DIY hours fixing the Corrado, upgrading it and dumping buckets of money into it in the process. I've owned it for a few years now. It has now sat in my garage for 4 months since I did a major overhaul on it, and to be honest it's still messed up. I don't have the time, patience or know how to fix it right now.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to really save my Corrado is to fly a professional mechanic who has G60 Corrado experience to my island (Big Island). I'm looking for someone with a proven track record of understanding the internal workings of this car, can tell me exactly what I would need to purchase in order to successfully repair it and that can simply get the job done well without any BS. Finding someone I trust enough to work on my car here, and without a huge shop price tag is an impossible mission. Besides the majority of shops here SUCK! I don't trust them with my baby. And options are very limited here on this Island!

You should know how to rebuild Corrado 8V engines, inside and out. Can successfully rebuild my G60 supercharger, overhaul my whole cooling system, and diagnose and solve any and all problems with my car. And lastly have the major special tools for the job, bearing pullers, engine tools, scanners, etc. etc. (I own the basic tools needed).

In turn, I will fly you to paradise, round trip ticket, provide you with a guide and transportation around the island to the most beautiful spots, even hidden ones that tourists don't see. Want to bask on a white sandy beach? Swim under waterfalls? Or explore a seemingly endless (secret) fresh water cave? Want to visit path's via my 4x4? Or maybe a trip up Mauna Kea? Need a vacation? Now's your chance!!!

It's a WIN, WIN situation, you get to save a Corrado and a Trip to Hawaii.

Room and Board may also be possible *Pending* wifey's approval. Or I might be able to put you up in one of the closer hotels.

So this could be nearly an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii. The job shouldn't take more then 4-5 days, maybe less depending on the severity of the problems...I will offer any physical assistance, be a wing man in the whole process, hand you tools, help lifting heavier items, crank a wrench or just plainly take over if you need a break (beers included).

Okay now for the nitty gritty!

Cooling system was having overheating issues, blew the head gasket, car started smoking out the exhaust very badly, pulled over, later brought it home and started my overhaul.

Recently Installed New Parts:
      Water Pump
      Low Temp. Thermostat
      Oil and water Sensors
      Samco Hoses
      All new gaskets
      Mocal Oil Cooler
      Godspeed Aluminum Radiator with fans
      Metal Head Gasket (and resurfaced Head)
      Head bolts (wish I had gotten ARP studs)
      Pulleys
      Timing Belt
      Spark Plugs & Distb. cap/rotor
      Manual Fan Switch and Relay
      Supersprint headers to Techtonics Tunning Cat back exhaust

As it stands, the Corrado runs, rough; but runs none the less. Still wants to overheat, smokes when I give it some gas, leaks coolant, leaks oil, G60 charger has oil seals blown and possibly oil seals in head as well. There was a fuel leak near the fuel rail, but I think I got that all sorted out. It's a possibility the head could be no good anymore, I have no clue. I might even have to swap back to my stock Radiator and nearly brand new stock fan. Open to all options and opinions.

I will purchase anything needed for the job!

Things I have so far that aren't installed:
      New G60 supercharger rebuild kit with grease, bearings, seals etc.
      G60 Corrado Head with 12-15k miles, with installed BBM 268/260 cam, BBM adjustable cam sprocket, TT valve springs, lightweight lifters & titanium retainers.
      Additionally I have all of the stock components that were on the car originally when purchased.
      It might not even need to have my new head installed, could be just an easy head repair...

I haven't quite figure out how I will do my selection for the trip, maybe a drawing out of a hat =P or I will most likely pick the best qualified mechanic for the job!

Link to my old threads:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-t-start-HELP!

Mahalo and Aloha!!

Mike

Last edited by Enraged007; 06-27-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Vehicles
      Mk2 Corrado Mk5
      06-27-2012 03:29 PM #2
      My Bags are packed, sighn me up.
      www.BahnBrenner.com

We Share The Passion!

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      06-27-2012 05:29 PM #3
      Awesome! Can you give me a little background info. From the looks of your profile you work for BBM, if that's the case I won't have to look any further

4. Member
      Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado G60, 94 Mercedes-Benz E320
      06-28-2012 10:33 AM #4
      Work for!?!... Hahaha
      Can I come? I will help drink the

Vehicles
      Mk2 Corrado Mk5
      06-28-2012 10:58 AM #5
      Yes sir BBM man for many years, send me a pm, and we can work out details.
      www.BahnBrenner.com

We Share The Passion!

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat
      06-29-2012 12:17 PM #6
      Somebody in Maui brought their G60 over from the mainland. I see an island hop in the future. Be prepared to mail those parts and tools ahead of time. Can you imagine airport security Google'g what a G-lader is? I'd love to see their face when a pic of a grenade show up

¡¡ opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 2.016vG60, 14 GLI
      06-29-2012 03:40 PM #7
      That swg alt cover looks real good! Looked at ur pics and forgot I sold that to you.

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      06-30-2012 06:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      Somebody in Maui brought their G60 over from the mainland. I see an island hop in the future. Be prepared to mail those parts and tools ahead of time. Can you imagine airport security Google'g what a G-lader is? I'd love to see their face when a pic of a grenade show up

I'm not Island hopping anywhere unless they someday get that ferry running, and I hope they do. It would be awesome to just drive up on it and go to Maui. My good friend has a green Corrado here, we're planing a cruise once my cars back on the road. TSA google'ing a G-ladder would be utterly hilarious, but kinda not too funny at the same time!

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado G60 Lysholm/T3 Twincharged
      07-01-2012 09:07 PM #9
      by any chance is that the stock charger or a replacement charger? The G60 our of our corrado was sold a few years back to a buyer in Hawaii. Would be funny if this was it lol.

I would love to go to Hawaii, but i don't see a good way to ship all my tools with.

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      07-02-2012 06:58 PM #10
      Yea that was probably me..I bought one a few years ago, and then sold it after my original charger was rebuilt. Not sure why I did that, probably needed the money at the time. I'm most likely switching to a Lysholm with a silencer down the road.

I have tools enough to do a head gasket change. You can also rent some major tools here I think at some outlets. Friends going to be loaning me an Air compressor and all his tools. Not sure what all would be involved, but I do have a near fresh head sitting in a box (12-15k miles, with installed BBM 268/260 cam, BBM adjustable cam sprocket, TT valve springs, lightweight lifters & titanium retainers).

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      08-05-2012 08:57 PM #11
      Just out of curiosity, what was the outcome of this?

Vehicles
      Mk2 Corrado Mk5
      08-06-2012 10:36 AM #12
      Iam coming over the first of next month.
      www.BahnBrenner.com

We Share The Passion!

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      08-06-2012 01:31 PM #13
      First person that posted too. Right on, nice looking Corrado, glad it's getting saved. If this is your first time out here be prepared to fall in love...

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      09-14-2012 07:24 PM #14
      Jason will be here October 10th, I've already purchased the round trip ticket Super excited to get my Corrado back!! I have a gaggle of new parts going in, much of which are huge upgrades from OEM. Be on the look out for my build thread. This car is going to be a beast when done

Vehicles
      1990 G60 Corrado
      09-17-2012 06:04 PM #15
      Picked up new wheels..here's a teaser.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      10-04-2012 11:41 PM #16
      This is a great idea. Win win situation

Vehicles
      92' Corrado
      10-24-2012 12:01 PM #17
      How did this turn out. Curious as this was a great idea
      "A sudden provocation does not make me an ill-tempered man. It shows what an ill-tempered man I am."

Vehicles
      01 TTQ 91Gsexty
      10-26-2012 05:41 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mattrip View Post
      How did this turn out. Curious as this was a great idea
      x2. Wish I was more of a gear head. I would have applied. Love to hear a follow up on this story. Has to be one of the most unique posts I've ever seen. Hopefully all parties got what they wanted out of the deal