Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2 or 4 door MK5 GTI??

1. 06-27-2012 02:29 AM #1
      I'm very interested in buying a GTI. Right now I'm looking at a few 06's and 07's but I can't decide if I should get a 2 door a 4 door. Personally I think the 2 door looks better, but the connivence of the 4 doors could be worth it. Is there noticeable more room in the 4 door? Is there a difference that I could be missing?

I'm trying to spend under 15000 after tax. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. 06-27-2012 02:37 AM #2
      extra doors .... better to have and not need, rather than need and not have . lol

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI, 2010 Mazda 3 S Sport
      06-27-2012 10:06 AM #3
      2 door looks better, room is the same just harder to get in and out of the back
      -Obama Sucks-

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix
      06-27-2012 05:02 PM #4
      I've been looking at Golfs too and while 2 door looks a bit more sporty, the 4 door still looks quite nice. The car is the same length with the same cargo capacity, it's just different how you access it.

A few things that you might not think of when comparing 2 and 4 doors:

Seat belt anchor position on a 2 door is pretty far back, making it more annoying to reach. This is a big one for me, and one of the main reasons I'm going 4 door.

The doors on a 2 door are longer, meaning in tight parking, you will be more limited in how far you can open your door.

In addition to 2 door doors being longer, they weigh a good bit more, making them less wieldy, giving more potential to accidently scrape the car next to you if you let it get away from you while opening.

Driver safety should be superior in a 4 door due to the pillar being at the driver's seat, instead of between the front and rear seats like on a 2 door. (T-bone accidents)

Should you need body work on your doors/windows, it will be cheaper to fix a smaller door/window, though having an extra set of doors presents more points of failure, so this is almost a wash.

The standard things like back seat access for passengers and cargo everyone thinks about but it's the little things that can make you only like your car or really fall in love with it.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI #533/1200
      07-09-2012 01:18 PM #5
      If you have a family/kids or are planning on this while you have the car then I'd suggest 4 doors. If not and it's not something your concerned with then go 2 doors.

Vehicles
      '96 Accord '95 Bro Dozer '92 Miata
      07-09-2012 03:06 PM #6
      4 doors for more whores

7. 09-05-2012 12:03 AM #7
      a 4dr gti is a oxymoron

Vehicles
      Old World: 10 GTI , New World: 93 Corrado SLC
      09-08-2012 04:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by titan059 View Post
      I'm very interested in buying a GTI. Right now I'm looking at a few 06's and 07's but I can't decide if I should get a 2 door a 4 door. Personally I think the 2 door looks better, but the connivence of the 4 doors could be worth it. Is there noticeable more room in the 4 door? Is there a difference that I could be missing?

I'm trying to spend under 15000 after tax. Any advice would be much appreciated!
      You are on your own, ultimately, on this question, though I agree with you the 2-dr looks better. There is no difference in terms of rear-seat room. My more important piece of advice (as someone who owned an 06, 08.5 and now a 10 GTI all 2-dr by the way) to you would be to get an 08.5 or later GTI if you can manage it - the EA888 based 2.0T (if you're not sure, it's the one that has the smaller engine cover that says 'TSI' on it) it is simply a better and more reliable engine.