VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

East Coast VW R Track Event presented by TrackDaze

12K views 183 replies 46 participants last post by  Mr_Peach 
#1 · (Edited)
East Coast VW R Track Event presented by TrackDaze, sponsored by Volkswagen of America!

Saturday, July 28th 2012

Summit Point Motorsports Park (www.summitpoint-raceway.com) has been selected to host East Coast VW R owners as they get together to celebrate VW's R32 & Latest Golf R. Event highlights include a full “Track Day” on Summit Point's famed Shenandoah Circuit. This 2.2 mile 17 turn track includes a scale replica of the infamous Karrusell from the Nurburgring. Located in scenic West Virginia, Summit Point is conveniently located to most East Coast R owners only just over 1 hour from Washington DC & Northern VA.

A registration fee of $50.00 provides each entrant with a over 2 hours of Professional Driving instruction, Track Time, Lunch and a Custom Event t-shirt! With registration fees for High Performance Driving Events normally over $400.00, only through Volkswagen of America’s generosity and TrackDaze’s commitment to the VW enthusiast can an event like this be offered at such an amazing cost to participants.

Space for the driving portion of the event is exclusively limited to the first 150 Golf R and R32 owners. Owners interested in this portion of the event must register online to confirm participation. Registration opens 7 am EST, June 27th 2012. For more information, visit www.trackdaze.com/ecgolfr

Contact(s): TrackDaze High-Performance Driving: info@trackdaze.com

See less See more
#133 ·
OMG

I think I just witnessed something as profound as the second coming of JC if ya believe in that guy. This event was my first track day and wow, just WOW. (Sh!t eating perma-grin) Will do everything in my power to make the next WitW and hopefully VWoA will do another track day soon. For those that made this possible, huge thanks:beer:

#144 ·
Thanks again for getting the great pics and video of my car!

Story is the car has a CTS stage 4 turbo kit and a UM 870 + promaf tune. I was running 12psi on the track (405whp 350wtq) and when the car is super hot it likes to blow some flames out the exhaust on high rpm gear shifts and hard down shifts. :laugh:

#136 ·
Small picture dump of mostly mk5 r stuff.

JC's car early in the day.

I'm used to shooting portraits so right now I'm only posting a few of the better one's. Plus I haven't used my SLR in months.

Pre-photo op on track

My instructor Ed's car.

Jeremy the lap before he spun out.:laugh:

VWOA trying to hide them wrecking a car. :wave: Please let me keep my warranty and not punish me for posting this.

Fast little GTi but showed late and only ran ~3 laps.

I have more just pm your car number and if I have anything I will send it to you. Awesome day VW thank you for the chance.
Not a great pic but I have awesome video of this I will try to upload to Youtube.

#163 ·
So, out of curiosity...

how did the stock-ish MKV R32s stand up against their little brothers?
It all comes down to how well you can drive.
Exactly Ryan, my best lap was 1:52.1 but at an event like this it's more about the driver than the car.

I have a few extremely long videos from my GoPro that I'll post in a day or two

#158 ·
Mike, maybe next time we can go up together..... I really wanted to, but less than ideal vision is a show stopper.
healing well and should be okay for my drive to Boston.... do some work on the house, eat at the Union Oyster House and generally relax for 2 weeks..... Can't wait for Sept/Oct

#164 · (Edited)
here is the whole 3rd session

and didn't put this one iin this thread yet, here are some laps from the 4th session

And yeah times were more about driver - I got to a 54.1 myself, but I am sure the car had a couple more seconds in it that I wasn't going to get to on this trip. Something about 500-600 mile drives to make to and from that will just make you hold back a little bit :laugh::beer:

#165 ·
And yeah times were more about driver - I got to a 54.1 myself, but I am sure the car had a couple more seconds in it that I wasn't going to get to on this trip. Something about 500-600 mile drives to make to and from that will just make you hold back a little bit :laugh::beer:
Nice driving Schmuck, very clean lines :thumbup:

Here's my whole 3rd session:

#166 ·
sine I haven't driven a mk5, I am curious - are you letting the car do the shifting, or are you hitting the paddles?

A couple of the things your instructor was telling you were things I was trying to get myself to change - the comment at the top of the hill entering the corkscrew applies to me. I was going on the throttle thru there early on, but started hitting the brake slightly in the later sessions, but knew when I did that and then got back to throttle for a second that I wasn't carrying all the speed I could. I was also running a bit slower than I should in the hammer (T5) - I started the day there w/ no braking, but also found myself tapping them later on to set the car, but probably should have stopped that.

#167 ·
sine I haven't driven a mk5, I am curious - are you letting the car do the shifting, or are you hitting the paddles?

A couple of the things your instructor was telling you were things I was trying to get myself to change - the comment at the top of the hill entering the corkscrew applies to me. I was going on the throttle thru there early on, but started hitting the brake slightly in the later sessions, but knew when I did that and then got back to throttle for a second that I wasn't carrying all the speed I could. I was also running a bit slower than I should in the hammer (T5) - I started the day there w/ no braking, but also found myself tapping them later on to set the car, but probably should have stopped that.
I was using the paddles in manual mode. Sport mode with the stock DSG tune is useless.

Jim's pointers really helped my lap times be more consistent. Especially up the hill through there, its such a tricky corner. But if done right will really jumpstart the back straight!

Sent from my Dumphone using Tapatalk Part Doux

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.