Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Polisher Opinions: Random or Standard

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      06-27-2012 05:13 PM #1
      I'm in the market to pick up a polisher, wondering if I should be looking at random orbit or standard and what this forum's thoughts are on either?

Currently I polish and wax by hand. Looking to make quicker work out of it. Any suggestions for models to purchase? I can get Makita through work so I was considering that route.

06-27-2012 08:56 PM #2
      Stay away from the rotary " standard" unless your trained ..

Here is the best option

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...l-Polisher-Kit
      Last edited by Jesstzn; 06-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      06-29-2012 07:36 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      Stay away from the rotary " standard" unless your trained ..
      What he said. I use a Meguiar's G100 which now there is a newer version available, it is also known as the Porter Cable 7424 and has 6 speeds. Never had an issue so long as you use the right products.

Using something like a wheel without experience can leave you with paint burns and can do more harm than good if you are not sure how to use it properly.

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      07-12-2012 06:45 AM #4

5. 07-12-2012 08:26 AM #5
      Purchasing your first machine polisher can be intimidating, just the thought of using what looks like an angle grinder on your beloved vehicles paint surface makes you shiver. It’s not simply that an orbital is better for a beginner because it is safer, and a rotary for the more advanced / experienced detailer; it is actually not that clear cut.

As far as machine polisher or products are concerned; there is no single solution for all paints types; every detailer has their own preferences, as long as the machine and products used are satisfactorily meeting your detailing goals. Each polishing project should be assessed individually and a ‘test panel’ will reveal the best solution of machine, pad, polish that yields the desired results

Some find they are more comfortable and therefore more confident using an orbital. Many users get experience with an orbital and then go over to an orbital. My advice in this instance would be to go with a lightweight rotary (Flex P- PE14-2 150) until you become accustomed to using a rotary on vertical panels. Many found the orbital uncomfortable to use due to its inherent vibration and some found it hard to control

Current Dual Action Polisher (HD Polisher, Griot’s Garage 6, Meguiars®, G110v2, Porter Cable 7424XP and Shurhold) Comparison - http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...-tampa-fl.html
      Last edited by TOGWT; 07-12-2012 at 08:28 AM.
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog -TOGWT

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      07-12-2012 10:42 AM #6
      Thanks for the solid advice. I have a couple of scrap vehicles I can test it out on first before I go and ruin any paint.

07-12-2012 01:13 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

Some find they are more comfortable and therefore more confident using an orbital. Many users get experience with an orbital and then go over to an orbital. <---- need clarification .My advice in this instance would be to go with a lightweight rotary (Flex P- PE14-2 150) until you become accustomed to using a rotary on vertical panels. Many found the orbital uncomfortable to use due to its inherent vibration and some found it hard to control.

I'm going to call you on this one ... A rotary is going to get a noob into more trouble than he can deal with and why recommend something thats nearly $400 without accessories? And as far as the vibration and control of an Orbital its mostly from the wrong counter weight or uncentered pads ... as far as controling it ... hell I seldom even use 2 hands and i'm 160 pounds .. 67 years old and had a broken wrist and a badly injured one from motorcycle racing years ago. The only reason I even leave the handles on is to keep them from tipping over when I set them down.

[/url][/U]

see above

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      07-13-2012 09:43 AM #8
      Incredible deal going on right now here, got mine last night along with a few other Griots goodies

http://www.bjs.com/griots-garage-6-r....196106?dimId=
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      1998 Acura RL
      07-21-2012 10:33 AM #9
      Like most of us, I got started with a $19.99 Simoniz Orbital from Canadian Tire.

After a few detail jobs I realized that it just wasn't going to 'cut' it, and was more of an application tool than a polishing unit.

Then I went and bought a Porter Cable Polisher, along with the pads, and that was the best $200 I've ever spent! I now have probably 12 compounding pads, 10 polishing, and 4 finishing, and I am set up to polish pretty much anything.

Once I was proficient with that tool, I realized that doing heavy compounding was taking forever.. This is when I purchased my beloved Makita 9227C Rotary. Man I love that thing. I also bought the 5" backing plate which enables me to use the same 6.5" pads that I have for the Porter Cable.

I don't think I would dare detail a black car with the Rotary without following up with the Porter Cable to make sure there is no ghosting or buffer trails. (Holograms)

So, having said all that, I recommend a random-orbital with some power before you get a Rotary. Once you have the random orbital and use it for a year or two, then feel free to step up to a rotary!

Don't be afraid of the rotary, but accept that bad things CAN happen, and when they do it gets expensive.

-edit-

Hey Jesstzn! Long time no see! I'm off to wetsand & polish a silver Alfa Romeo this morning, thought I'd stop in