Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Sorkin’s new HBO series, “The Newsroom”

07-16-2012 11:02 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjb View Post
      It's unrealistic. No newsroom is really like that, and people don't talk the way Aaron Sorkin would have you believe they do.
      But it's a TV show, not a documentary...

I'm hooked!

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      07-16-2012 11:16 AM #27
      I've watched the 1st two. I am convinced this is a case of the emperor's new clothes. Everything else on television is so god awful, people are convinced that this is good. It's boring and unrealistic. No newsroom is really like that, and people don't talk the way Aaron Sorkin would have you believe they do. The exterior shots are all up the block from my office, so that's cool. I will see if ep 3 is any better.
      I work in news, and many of the people I work with are former news reporters and editors. They can't stop raving about the authenticity of the show.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      07-16-2012 11:53 AM #28
      people don't talk the way Aaron Sorkin would have you believe they do.
      I always took Sorkin's "walk and talk" style as a writing tool to convey many points and concepts into something that fits a teleplay and an ADD audience.

Yes people don't often speak that way because it's too much thought crammed into one slick paragraph, but often the same points are made in real-world conversations which is much slower.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-16-2012 12:13 PM #29
      Really strong 4th ep. Enjoying this show very much.

Vehicles
      2015 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      07-16-2012 04:52 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Really strong 4th ep. Enjoying this show very much.
      Watched all four episodes today. Liked the 4ht the best; the setup for the showdown between the show and the network head is great.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:49 PM #32
      Wow...not kind. I agree the love triangles are unnecessary and overwrought. And I will concede that so far there's a strong left-wing leaning (hoping its just a matter of time before taking aim at the other side). But overall I am liking it.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-16-2012 06:27 PM #33
      Did they expect a Right-leaning Sorkin show?

I think they'll actually skewer the Left at some point, I think that's why Will is a Republican. They hare having fun with the GOP for the same reason The Daily Show does, it's easy pickings.

As for the love triangles, I think they are tiresome in EVERY show they are in unnecessarily (Walking Dead anyone?). But that's TV for you.

07-17-2012 02:13 AM #34
      Wow, the final 10 minutes or so was intense. Will: "I'm not f***in' around Charile!!!"

9. 07-17-2012 01:56 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Did they expect a Right-leaning Sorkin show?

I think they'll actually skewer the Left at some point, I think that's why Will is a Republican. They hare having fun with the GOP for the same reason The Daily Show does, it's easy pickings.

As for the love triangles, I think they are tiresome in EVERY show they are in unnecessarily (Walking Dead anyone?). But that's TV for you.
      I'm neither Republican or Democrat and it's getting annoying with the Tea Party bashing. Ok, I get it. You don't like the Tea Party...

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-17-2012 02:00 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      I'm neither Republican or Democrat and it's getting annoying with the Tea Party bashing. Ok, I get it. You don't like the Tea Party...
      I'm a Liberal and I notice it as well. I was even more liberal during the West Wing days and that got on my nerves sometimes to.

I agree it's over the top sometimes, I'm just saying that this is Sorkin's m.o.

Vehicles
      Twelve Valves of Fury
      07-17-2012 09:16 PM #37
      Everything about that last episode was ****ing awesome. It will be nominated for an Emmy, just wait and see.

07-18-2012 05:16 PM #38
      Man, this show got better after 4 episodes. And lol at the review that said this show leans left. Really? Aaron Sorkin is a liberal? What a revelation!

This show is like crack for depressed liberal.

More Olivia Munn

Vehicles
      07-19-2012 04:10 PM #39
      You have to consider the time frame they're playing in here. The first three episodes were leading up to the mid-term elections in 2010. The show pretty accurately reflects the news cycle at the time, though not necessarily the spin that was being conveyed by mainstream outlets. I mean, how long could you go without hearing about Bachmann or Rand Paul in September or October of 2010?
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

14. 07-20-2012 06:54 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      You have to consider the time frame they're playing in here. The first three episodes were leading up to the mid-term elections in 2010. The show pretty accurately reflects the news cycle at the time, though not necessarily the spin that was being conveyed by mainstream outlets. I mean, how long could you go without hearing about Bachmann or Rand Paul in September or October of 2010?
      You can easily tell this story without putting the spin on it this show does.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-20-2012 08:06 PM #41
      they're nut-jobs no matter how you spin it.
      welcome to the layer cake

16. 07-21-2012 01:28 PM #42
      Sorkin has fired his writing staff.

Aaron Sorkin has been doing press all week defending his critically-panned HBO show, “The Newsroom,” but behind the scenes he's cleaning house.

Most of the writers on the cable drama about a Keith Olbermann-type television news demagogue have been fired, sources with knowledge of the show told The Daily. "They're not coming back, except for Sorkin's ex-girlfriend [Corinne Kinsbury]," one source said. [Sorkin is currently dating "Sex and the City" actress Kristin Davis.]

The show was renewed early for a second season and it's unclear how many writers will replace the departing staff.

In the mostly collaborative world of TV, Sorkin is famously known for penning most the scripts himself, and "The Newsroom" had a smaller writers' room than most TV shows with less than 10 credited writers. It's not uncommon on other TV series run by powerful showrunners to turn over staff.

"Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner is known to replace scripters every season, sometimes right after they turn in an episode.

“I create these shows so that I can write them,” Sorkin told Vanity Fair in the May issue. “I’m not an empire builder. I’m not interested in just producing. All I want to do is write. I came up as a playwright — writing is something you do by yourself in a room."

“That said, I couldn’t possibly write the show without that room full of people. I go in there, and we kick around ideas. I’m writing about all kinds of things I don’t know anything about. So they do research for me,” the Oscar-winner added.

A rep for HBO told The Daily, "Every year each show reassesses the needs of its writing staffs. This process is nothing out of the ordinary." — Soo Youn
      http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/07...rkin-newsroom/

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      07-21-2012 11:48 PM #43
      I'm a big Sorkin fan, and this show does not disappoint.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 11:22 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      I'm a big Sorkin fan, and this show does not disappoint.
      The ending tonight was ultra-corny, but didn't spoil the episode for me.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      07-23-2012 07:53 AM #45
      It's fictional, it's Sorkin, and it's not a documentary. You didn't expect "equal time" did you?

It's cramming so much into a narrow window of time to make a point...the "spin" could also be seen as an amplification or exaggeration designed to hammer home the story.

07-23-2012 01:50 PM #46
      I wonder how long the show will be on hiatus in between seasons because at the clip he is going, Sorkin is going to catch up to 'real time' by the end of 2nd season.

21. 07-23-2012 08:38 PM #47
      This is definitely no West Wing.

Every scene is shot like Broadway play with over the top dialogue preaching the typical liberal holier than though BS message.

The only reason this is on HBO is because no network would ever be able to sell the advertising to sustain it.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-25-2012 10:01 AM #48
      Ep 5 was great, you are really seeing everyone gel into their characters and their characters with each other. The Rudy stuff was

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-25-2012 10:03 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
      This is definitely no West Wing.

Every scene is shot like Broadway play with over the top dialogue preaching the typical liberal holier than though BS message.

The only reason this is on HBO is because no network would ever be able to sell the advertising to sustain it.
      Just think, that's an hour of your week you get back!! You can spend that hour fighting back against those evil liberals. Yeah!!!

Vehicles
      07-25-2012 06:45 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      More Olivia Munn
      I'm just going to put this here...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast