Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Sorkin’s new HBO series, “The Newsroom”

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      07-17-2012 02:00 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      I'm neither Republican or Democrat and it's getting annoying with the Tea Party bashing. Ok, I get it. You don't like the Tea Party...
      I'm a Liberal and I notice it as well. I was even more liberal during the West Wing days and that got on my nerves sometimes to.

I agree it's over the top sometimes, I'm just saying that this is Sorkin's m.o.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      Twelve Valves of Fury
      07-17-2012 09:16 PM #37
      Everything about that last episode was ****ing awesome. It will be nominated for an Emmy, just wait and see.

07-18-2012 05:16 PM #38
      Man, this show got better after 4 episodes. And lol at the review that said this show leans left. Really? Aaron Sorkin is a liberal? What a revelation!

This show is like crack for depressed liberal.

More Olivia Munn

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      07-19-2012 04:10 PM #39
      I'm neither Republican or Democrat and it's getting annoying with the Tea Party bashing. Ok, I get it. You don't like the Tea Party...
      You have to consider the time frame they're playing in here. The first three episodes were leading up to the mid-term elections in 2010. The show pretty accurately reflects the news cycle at the time, though not necessarily the spin that was being conveyed by mainstream outlets. I mean, how long could you go without hearing about Bachmann or Rand Paul in September or October of 2010?
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

5. 07-20-2012 06:54 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      You have to consider the time frame they're playing in here. The first three episodes were leading up to the mid-term elections in 2010. The show pretty accurately reflects the news cycle at the time, though not necessarily the spin that was being conveyed by mainstream outlets. I mean, how long could you go without hearing about Bachmann or Rand Paul in September or October of 2010?
      You can easily tell this story without putting the spin on it this show does.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-20-2012 08:06 PM #41
      they're nut-jobs no matter how you spin it.
      welcome to the layer cake

7. 07-21-2012 01:28 PM #42
      Sorkin has fired his writing staff.

Aaron Sorkin has been doing press all week defending his critically-panned HBO show, “The Newsroom,” but behind the scenes he's cleaning house.

Most of the writers on the cable drama about a Keith Olbermann-type television news demagogue have been fired, sources with knowledge of the show told The Daily. "They're not coming back, except for Sorkin's ex-girlfriend [Corinne Kinsbury]," one source said. [Sorkin is currently dating "Sex and the City" actress Kristin Davis.]

The show was renewed early for a second season and it's unclear how many writers will replace the departing staff.

In the mostly collaborative world of TV, Sorkin is famously known for penning most the scripts himself, and "The Newsroom" had a smaller writers' room than most TV shows with less than 10 credited writers. It's not uncommon on other TV series run by powerful showrunners to turn over staff.

"Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner is known to replace scripters every season, sometimes right after they turn in an episode.

“I create these shows so that I can write them,” Sorkin told Vanity Fair in the May issue. “I’m not an empire builder. I’m not interested in just producing. All I want to do is write. I came up as a playwright — writing is something you do by yourself in a room."

“That said, I couldn’t possibly write the show without that room full of people. I go in there, and we kick around ideas. I’m writing about all kinds of things I don’t know anything about. So they do research for me,” the Oscar-winner added.

A rep for HBO told The Daily, "Every year each show reassesses the needs of its writing staffs. This process is nothing out of the ordinary." — Soo Youn
      http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/07...rkin-newsroom/

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      07-21-2012 11:48 PM #43
      I'm a big Sorkin fan, and this show does not disappoint.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 11:22 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      I'm a big Sorkin fan, and this show does not disappoint.
      The ending tonight was ultra-corny, but didn't spoil the episode for me.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      07-23-2012 07:53 AM #45
      It's fictional, it's Sorkin, and it's not a documentary. You didn't expect "equal time" did you?

It's cramming so much into a narrow window of time to make a point...the "spin" could also be seen as an amplification or exaggeration designed to hammer home the story.

07-23-2012 01:50 PM #46
      I wonder how long the show will be on hiatus in between seasons because at the clip he is going, Sorkin is going to catch up to 'real time' by the end of 2nd season.

12. 07-23-2012 08:38 PM #47
      This is definitely no West Wing.

Every scene is shot like Broadway play with over the top dialogue preaching the typical liberal holier than though BS message.

The only reason this is on HBO is because no network would ever be able to sell the advertising to sustain it.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      07-25-2012 10:01 AM #48
      Ep 5 was great, you are really seeing everyone gel into their characters and their characters with each other. The Rudy stuff was
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      07-25-2012 10:03 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
      This is definitely no West Wing.

Every scene is shot like Broadway play with over the top dialogue preaching the typical liberal holier than though BS message.

The only reason this is on HBO is because no network would ever be able to sell the advertising to sustain it.
      Just think, that's an hour of your week you get back!! You can spend that hour fighting back against those evil liberals. Yeah!!!
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane

Vehicles
      2013 Sepang Blue Audi S6, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      07-25-2012 06:45 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      More Olivia Munn
      I'm just going to put this here...

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 12:54 PM #52
      He completely blew the point of them chasing the story Leona Shaw doesn't want them to touch. Otherwise, I think some of his criticisms are valid. The whole "Rudy" thing was a little contrived, as I mentioned above.

Still love the show though.

17. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      07-30-2012 05:51 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      He completely blew the point of them chasing the story Leona Shaw doesn't want them to touch. Otherwise, I think some of his criticisms are valid. The whole "Rudy" thing was a little contrived, as I mentioned above.

Still love the show though.
      Maybe I am not watching the show close enough and I admit I didn't read the entire article but the part about sexism is interesting considering the insanely delicious Olivia Munn is one of the most intelligent characters on the show and makes the other two male economic analysts look stupid on air in that one episode. Even with the point about the incorrect history, the character is written to be very smart and educated. Am I missing anything on my view?
      Th(e/a)n

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      07-30-2012 09:43 AM #54
      Partway through this week's episode.... great stuff so far, this might be the show where I finally start to like Olivia Munn.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 06:30 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Partway through this week's episode.... great stuff so far, this might be the show where I finally start to like Olivia Munn.
      She was *excellent* in this week's episode, and I love Waterston as Charlie. Every now and again he has a moment where he has an awkwardness that doesn't really seem like he fits the character, but then you realize that the whole point is that he's portraying an old drunk who at times is in over his head, and then it fits.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-27-2012 02:38 PM #57
      The show is a bit left. But as stated in the show they are reporting the facts, not opinions.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      08-27-2012 02:41 PM #58
      Good finale!
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

22. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      08-27-2012 04:55 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      Good finale!
      WHAT?!?!?!....like season finale?
      Th(e/a)n

08-28-2012 04:26 AM #60
      Overall a pretty good series. But I could do without the romantic storyline.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      08-28-2012 08:26 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee View Post
      WHAT?!?!?!....like season finale?
      Yup.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-28-2012 11:13 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Overall a pretty good series. But I could do without the romantic storyline.
      I was a little annoyed that none of the love triangles went anywhere.

26. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      08-29-2012 01:48 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      The show is a bit left. But as stated in the show they are reporting the facts, not opinions.
      A bit?

27. 08-29-2012 08:36 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      Facts, not opinions? My ar$e.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-29-2012 08:47 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
      Facts, not opinions? My ar$e.
      They use many clips. Which do you take issue with? Or is it that your candidate's spoken word become opinion when published by a show you don't agree with?
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

29. 08-29-2012 10:09 PM #66
      It is the whole liberal BS thing. Take the voter ID and voter fraud thing.

It starts out with "Dorothy Cooper doesn't have a driver's license because Dorothy Cooper does not have a car." What does having a car have to do with possessing a state issued photo ID? States also issue ID cards. The states have offered to issue voter ID's free of charge to the poor.

How do you live in this world today without a photo ID? WTF do you when you have to go to the bank or pay for something when using a credit card and get ID'd? In all honesty if you cannot be bothered to get a photo ID (free of charge) how intently are you following the issues?

So now we got only 86 cases of voter fraud during 5 years of President Bush's presidency. Only 86? I am not buying it. All over the country a HUGE amount of people were reporting they were getting SS checks for long deceased family members. The news thought it was great - incompetent government at its best - until it was determined the checks were issued because all these people had recently been registered to vote. Seeing how the Democratic party is THE party of voter fraud the liberal press just dropped it.

We put forth more effort ensuring the integrity of the voting process in Iraq and Afghanistan than we do in our own elections.

When it comes to requiring people to show a photo ID to vote it "puts undue strain on a person's constitutional rights" and disenfranchises people. But there is not any undue strain when I have to show photo ID, get fingerprinted & photographed, go through an interview, fill out forms, have a background check performed, and pay $100 before the state issues me a gun permit.

One thing that is accurate is how it depicts the news people as a bunch of liberal douche bags that are fixated on pushing their agenda instead of reporting things down the middle.

This show went on HBO because Sorkin could not sell it anywhere else. The West Wing was superb. This show at its best isn't The West Wing at its worst.
      Last edited by kmf; 08-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-30-2012 12:39 AM #67
      Voter ID was one of the weaker points, but their overlying point is that both parties have moved so far over that those previously aligned with Republicans are now better aligned with the Democrats, repulsed by the extremism of the Republicans, or both.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-30-2012 01:36 AM #68
      The voter ID card thing was a little ridiculous, I'm a liberal and even I know you don't have to have a drivers license to get a state issued ID.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-30-2012 01:46 AM #69
      That's the problem with running a series backed with a lot of recent history. That recipe inevitably means a short life for the show or a weaker show. Sorkin does have problems with creating shows that are strong over many seasons. He has many moments of brilliance. I enjoy those, and accept that he can't keep stringing them together.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      10-04-2012 09:55 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Boot View Post
      But it's a TV show, not a documentary...

I'm hooked!
      Just started watching this, in the same place, and yeah, HOOKED!!

This show rules.
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast