Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STaSIS Engineering Audi TT-RS ECU Tune Now Available!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-04-2012 10:15 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
      OK, we know that can happen with a tune, but we are talking about Stasis specifically. would be great to hear from people who have Stasis and how it went for them taking the car in for work.
      I'd like to hear from those folks as well. I bet it's a very small pool, though (the folks that have STaSiS tunes, and have had a big enough hardware problem to have to invoke the STaSiS warranty, and are online and willing to share the experience).

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      07-05-2012 10:45 AM #52
      I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long. Jeez, if any of you want to purchase the Stasis tune, why do you need our (this forum's) endorsement?
      My candid appraisal of this thread is that a majority here think it's overpriced and that the "relationship" with some Audi dealers has dubious value, but why should that stop you from spending YOUR money. Do it and be glad.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      Previously: 2012 Audi TT-RS Stage II / 2008 Lotus Elise SC
      07-05-2012 05:26 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      why do you need our (this forum's) endorsement?
      Input yes, endorsement no.

Do it and be glad.
      Agreed, but only once researched properly.

Once all the content and info is collected, decisions can be made.

Cold hard facts always help, as do opinions - they just get prioritized differently.

The effort is to sort fact from opinion.
      Last edited by jpkeyzer; 07-05-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      07-05-2012 05:34 PM #54
      My candid appraisal of this thread is that a majority here think it's overpriced and that the "relationship" with some Audi dealers has dubious value.
      +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      07-05-2012 07:30 PM #55
      Jpkeyzer:

For what it's worth. I went with GIAC because they are software experts. That is specifically what they do and it's their core competency. Frankly, when I select someone to do something I want the expert not the one that claims to dabble in multiple areas. I'm not saying necessarily that Stasis or APR dabbles in software but it's not their core competency...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by J662; 07-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      07-06-2012 12:47 AM #56
      jpjeyzer said it very well. Not looking for anyones blessings or endorsements. I am new to Audi and the various tunes for them. My experience has been with BMWs for the last 9 years. When I decided to get a tune I did my research on what was available and pros and cons for each. Then I made the unpopular decision to go with Dinan(overpriced not as much power as some of the others but had a warranty very much like Stasis warranty) It turned out to be a very good move for me because of all the repairs that were necessary on the car and I did not have to pay anything out of pocket for them. (The 335s that i had were not the engineering perfection tha some of the press made them out to be and after starting what turned out to be a 3 year class action. I still got another one, bought Steve Dinans car which would have kicked my stock TT RS)
      I tune my car for me not for everyone else but I like to make a smart decision and use all the info i can to make the best choice based on my driving and what I want from the tune.
      I have not really heard anything bad about APR or GIAC, and the only bad thing I have heard about stasis is the cost and the opinions of the warranty. The cost is fairly close to the other tunes, and I am still comparing output numbers.
      It may sound like I am getting pissy but I am not . I am trying to sort out what is fact, what is opinion and what is speculation when I read a post which is why I ask.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-06-2012 01:27 AM #57
      APR and GIAC are the best VW/Audi tuners out there, IMO based on following their stuff over the last ~12 years. I ran a few GIAC chips back in the day on my old 1997 VW GTI VR6: one for the original naturally-aspirated engine, and one that was tuned for a supercharger kit for the car.

If I had to choose a tune for my TT-RS right now, I'd go with APR. What I like about them is they make their own in-house stage 2 / stage 3 kits across a wide variety of motors with high-end hardware that really push the limits of the engines. I feel like that should give them a great deal of experience that's valuable for perfecting even a basic stage 1 tune.

But at this point I've pretty much decided to wait for the stage 3 kit, since I know I'll be bored with the stage 1 before long...

8. 07-06-2012 10:35 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      APR and GIAC are the best VW/Audi tuners out there, IMO based on following their stuff over the last ~12 years. I ran a few GIAC chips back in the day on my old 1997 VW GTI VR6: one for the original naturally-aspirated engine, and one that was tuned for a supercharger kit for the car.

If I had to choose a tune for my TT-RS right now, I'd go with APR. What I like about them is they make their own in-house stage 2 / stage 3 kits across a wide variety of motors with high-end hardware that really push the limits of the engines. I feel like that should give them a great deal of experience that's valuable for perfecting even a basic stage 1 tune.

But at this point I've pretty much decided to wait for the stage 3 kit, since I know I'll be bored with the stage 1 before long...
      So you chip your cars? And you're not concerned about increased CO2 and other emissions when running the engine beyond it's rated power?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-06-2012 12:00 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      So you chip your cars? And you're not concerned about increased CO2 and other emissions when running the engine beyond it's rated power?
      What's great about keeping the OEM emission system intact (even with a chip) is that you only increase emissions *when you're using the additional power*. This would be similar to a valve on your exhaust where you only bypassed the cats when you floored it, and not the other 99% of the time in a daily driver. :p

10. 07-06-2012 12:15 PM #60
      What's great about keeping the OEM emission system intact (even with a chip) is that you only increase emissions *when you're using the additional power*. This would be similar to a valve on your exhaust where you only bypassed the cats when you floored it, and not the other 99% of the time in a daily driver. :p
      Ahh excellent point. Just like the cats, my car has zero change in emissions when the ignition switch is off

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-06-2012 02:54 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      Ahh excellent point. Just like the cats, my car has zero change in emissions when the ignition switch is off
      Right, 'cause when you're cruising on the highway steady-state at 70 mph for an hour straight continuously spitting out the emissions equivalent of 100 cars on the road, that bit of steady exhaust drone sound is really worth it, I'm sure.

Vehicles
      2016 Corvette Z06 / 1974 VW Super Beetle
      07-06-2012 03:52 PM #62
      if your concerned about the eco ****, go buy a bike and get off the forums and stop driving, and wasting our time with that stupid ****. For ****s sake, this is an auto enthusiasts site, not some tree hugger society.
      MY Garage

"Boost is addiction, it's a passion, an insurmountable condition of absolute necessity" ~ Dan

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-06-2012 07:01 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan.S View Post
      if your concerned about the eco ****, go buy a bike and get off the forums and stop driving, and wasting our time with that stupid ****. For ****s sake, this is an auto enthusiasts site, not some tree hugger society.
      So everything is just black or white with no shades of gray, eh? Apparently either you can't care less about anything other than your own car's performance, or you should get off the forums.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my posts, since nobody's making you read them. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
      Last edited by Marty; 07-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      07-07-2012 12:12 AM #64
      If i am seeing things correctly GIAC and Stasis have similar hp and torque gains. The numbers that stasis posted are at the crank and using 91 octane. The GIAC is a good tune, the throttle is less drastic and the car pulls strong even up at 80 or 90mph like it has much more power to go.
      The problem is that I have bad luck with cars. Somethig always seems to happen and it may seem like it is something i am doing but it isnt and the bmw service dpeartments will back me on that. if it wassnt for bad luck i would have no luck. With that in mind i i can get some type of warranty that covers the car with the tune and it is only $400 more that is where i will go. I already talked to my delaerhsip and they have worked with them in the past and had no problems. The car will bo parked for about a week from start to finish and they are even giving me a loaner.
      Nothing bad about the GIAC tune, I am just one of those people who likes to have some type of warranty for myself and if I should sell the car.

Vehicles
      2016 Corvette Z06 / 1974 VW Super Beetle
      07-07-2012 03:52 AM #65
      So everything is just black or white with no shades of gray, eh? Apparently either you can't care less about anything other than your own car's performance, or you should get off the forums.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my posts, since nobody's making you read them. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
      No, I actually dont give a flying **** what my car does to the environment. And I am fairly certain 99% of the people on here (or any auto enthusiast site) couldn't give two ****s either.

Seeing as my car is probably one of the least environmentally polluting machines that I see around every day, you cant convince me its a massive catastrophy, sorry pal, facts are facts.

As soon as you get off of your environmental pedestal and look around, you might see that as well.

The environment will be around long after you and I are gone for better or worse so I choose to live the way I chose with all guns blazing.

If you want to preach enviro crap, do it to others that actually give a damn, because your the only one here.
      MY Garage

"Boost is addiction, it's a passion, an insurmountable condition of absolute necessity" ~ Dan

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-07-2012 04:18 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan.S View Post
      No, I actually dont give a flying **** what my car does to the environment. And I am fairly certain 99% of the people on here (or any auto enthusiast site) couldn't give two ****s either.

Seeing as my car is probably one of the least environmentally polluting machines that I see around every day, you cant convince me its a massive catastrophy, sorry pal, facts are facts.

As soon as you get off of your environmental pedestal and look around, you might see that as well.

The environment will be around long after you and I are gone for better or worse so I choose to live the way I chose with all guns blazing.

If you want to preach enviro crap, do it to others that actually give a damn, because your the only one here.

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 09:10 AM #67
      The GIAC is a good tune, the throttle is less drastic and the car pulls strong even up at 80 or 90mph like it has much more power to go. ... Nothing bad about the GIAC tune, I am just one of those people who likes to have some type of warranty for myself and if I should sell the car.
      Quisp - after migrating from a GIAC tune to a Stasis tune you will be uniquely qualified to compare! Good for you!

... i can get some type of warranty that covers the car with the tune and it is only $400 more that is where i will go.
      Agreed! I would still love to know if any of there other tuners offer a similar warranty?? Can any other ECU-tuned owners comment?

The car will bo parked for about a week from start to finish and they are even giving me a loaner.
      A loaner car for the week! Wow - one of the benefits of completing this through an Audi/Stasis dealer!
      Last edited by jpkeyzer; 07-07-2012 at 09:14 AM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2011 A4 30th Anniversary, 2013 Boxster
      07-07-2012 10:15 AM #68
      I was told that MTM offers a similar "warranty" ...
      Previous rides: B5 A4, B6 A4 Avant, B7 S4 Avant, B7 RS4, TTS

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-07-2012 01:32 PM #69
      If i am seeing things correctly GIAC and Stasis have similar hp and torque gains. The numbers that stasis posted are at the crank and using 91 octane. The GIAC is a good tune, the throttle is less drastic and the car pulls strong even up at 80 or 90mph like it has much more power to go.
      The problem is that I have bad luck with cars. Somethig always seems to happen and it may seem like it is something i am doing but it isnt and the bmw service dpeartments will back me on that. if it wassnt for bad luck i would have no luck. With that in mind i i can get some type of warranty that covers the car with the tune and it is only $400 more that is where i will go. I already talked to my delaerhsip and they have worked with them in the past and had no problems. The car will bo parked for about a week from start to finish and they are even giving me a loaner.
      Nothing bad about the GIAC tune, I am just one of those people who likes to have some type of warranty for myself and if I should sell the car.
      If you switch to STaSiS, what are you going to do with your old GIAC tune? Do they let you resell it and transfer it to another person's TT-RS?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      07-07-2012 08:54 PM #70
      Does anyone have actual number or better yet a power/torque curve for the stasis tune yet?

So far nothing on their website....
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

21. 07-07-2012 09:24 PM #71
      If you switch to STaSiS, what are you going to do with your old GIAC tune? Do they let you resell it and transfer it to another person's TT-RS?
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past I believe what Stasis was selling for the TT WAS the GIAC tune - have they developed their own ECU flash specifically for the TTRS?

Just my 2 cents, but it's clear that for the last 3 years Stasis has been concentrating on establishing relationships with Audi dealerships around the US so that you buy a Stasis-modified car as a new car directly from the delaer. Their higher prices are just an insurance premium that essentially supplements the OEM warranty. I believe the concept is that you get a "tuner" car with the peace of mind of dealer/factory warranty and service.

This makes sense if you value that peace of mind with a certain financial premium AND the warrantly coverage for Stasis mods is indeed seamless. It is this second point that has engendered skepticism, but without horror stories to sustantiate this concern, it starts to drift into paranoia or just ill-will towards Stasis.

P.S.I originally planned to buy my 2009 TT as a Statis Touring model, but they didn't have a package for the 2.0 quattro and I wasn't crazy about the look of the wheels (although they were forged Champions and were/are among the lightest 19 X 9 wheels available).

I eventually went the non-warranty APR, HRE, Eibach, Forge BBK route on my own, but would consider Stasis (even with a premium) if they had a package that I liked.

22. 07-08-2012 02:36 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by TT412GO View Post
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past I believe what Stasis was selling for the TT WAS the GIAC tune - have they developed their own ECU flash specifically for the TTRS?
      Given their merger with Revo last year I'd guess it's a Revo tune.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...is-are-merging

23. 07-08-2012 04:17 AM #73

I was out in a APR Stage 3 development car 2 days ago and my word it is QUICK! Like really really quick, and best of all the engine bay still looks OEM, it still drives around town like OEM, and the low end torque is like OEM. So ATM nothing at all has been lost at the bottom, but you have gained massively at the top.

And best of all they still have loads of plans for the kit, and theres still another substantial power hike to come from what Ive tested!

You are looking at a car that will do 30-130mph in about 9/10 secs in a manual car, and even faster in a s-tronic.
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

24. 07-08-2012 04:32 AM #74
      I see it like this, and this is how things happen quite regularly.

You buy a stasis tune for your audi from audi.

The cars fine for the next 3 months, but then all of a sudden starts running like ****. Big missfires, car no longer pulling hard whilst on a run.

You take the car back to audi for diagnostic. Audi check it over, and cant find anything obvious. They check the basics and they all come back fine, pcv, spark plugs, coil packs etc.

To take diagnostic further, audi now have to flash the car back to stock software, as thats what their diagnostic systems were built around. No good them trying to attempt diagnostic on the tune, as they dont know what values to expect, or what they should be.

The car has been flashed back to stock, and low and behold the car now runs fine. They roadtest the car for a while and all is kosher.

They then ring you up, and they say "sir, your car is ready for collection, it was the tune that was causing it" .

You then turn up and ask why was the car running fine for 3 months previous. They explain that theres nothing they can do further as the car runs as it should on the audi specififcation, and if theres anything further to take it up with stasis direct effectively wiping their hands of the problem.

Stasis pull in the car to one of their agents, re-apply the map, and it runs like crap again. They are unable to find the root cause. After a few weeks of the car being at the dealers, stasis may rewrite a new map for the car to see how they get on. Things remain the same are stasis are now adamant its the car and not their software and that the car should go back to audi. Audi dont want to know and stasis cant rectify the issue and you are stuck in the middle!

This is whats happened to my friends in-warranty TSI, which has a revo tune, done by the supplying main dealer. They have blamed the mods and have wiped their hands off any responsibility. The tuner says its the car. Hes now selling it.
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

Vehicles
      07-08-2012 08:34 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Poverty View Post
      I see it like this, and this is how things happen quite regularly.

You buy a stasis tune for your audi from audi.

The cars fine for the next 3 months, but then all of a sudden starts running like ****. Big missfires, car no longer pulling hard whilst on a run.

You take the car back to audi for diagnostic. Audi check it over, and cant find anything obvious. They check the basics and they all come back fine, pcv, spark plugs, coil packs etc.

To take diagnostic further, audi now have to flash the car back to stock software, as thats what their diagnostic systems were built around. No good them trying to attempt diagnostic on the tune, as they dont know what values to expect, or what they should be.

The car has been flashed back to stock, and low and behold the car now runs fine. They roadtest the car for a while and all is kosher.

They then ring you up, and they say "sir, your car is ready for collection, it was the tune that was causing it" .

You then turn up and ask why was the car running fine for 3 months previous. They explain that theres nothing they can do further as the car runs as it should on the audi specififcation, and if theres anything further to take it up with stasis direct effectively wiping their hands of the problem.

Stasis pull in the car to one of their agents, re-apply the map, and it runs like crap again. They are unable to find the root cause. After a few weeks of the car being at the dealers, stasis may rewrite a new map for the car to see how they get on. Things remain the same are stasis are now adamant its the car and not their software and that the car should go back to audi. Audi dont want to know and stasis cant rectify the issue and you are stuck in the middle!

This is whats happened to my friends in-warranty TSI, which has a revo tune, done by the supplying main dealer. They have blamed the mods and have wiped their hands off any responsibility. The tuner says its the car. Hes now selling it.
      What you describe here is not Stasis-specific but can be used to describe what could happen with any tuner out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Poverty View Post
      Stasis pull in the car to one of their agents ...
      The major difference is right here, there is no separate agent, this is the dealership you purchased the vehicle from - one and the same!

As an Audi/Stasis dealership (and a Stasis warranty mapped to your Audi warranty) how is it possible that the issue would not be both covered by a warranty and then resolved in a fashion that is absolutely transparent to you?

This, in a nutshell, is the huge attraction to a Stasis tune.
      Last edited by jpkeyzer; 07-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast