Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 29'er advice sought: Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite or Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Alloy 4???

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      06-27-2012 11:13 PM #1
      Since I'm a bit technologically challenged, I figured I'd seek the advice of the unbiased experts..

So, here's the skinny:

Me?....... 42, 5' 9", 200 lbs: although competitive by nature, I am not interested in racing; not interested in breaking any land-speed records (or bones for that matter); other physcial activities include in-garage spinning studio, in-garage CrossFit, P90X and Insanity gym; For me, MTB is another form of exercise that offers a challenge and allows me to enjoy the outdoors and an escape from asphalt, office buildings and cars.

Current ride?..... '03 Trek Fuel 80; bought new; well-maintatined and NOT broken.

Frequency of usage?...... 1-2 times per week

Trails?.... Mostly South Florida singletracks, roots, soft or hard packed sand, rocky.

Option 1: Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite with Fox Evolution fork

Option 2: Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Alloy 4

Here's what I've researched so far:

http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.co...-29-er-Alloy-4

IYO, what are the pros and cons of the two bikes in question?

Thanks in advance....
      Last edited by jsmyle1%...; 06-28-2012 at 09:16 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit, 2010 Tiguan S
      06-28-2012 09:36 AM #2
      I'm on a Superfly Al Elite frame (replaced my cracked 09 Paragon frame). Not a bad bike. Trek fiddled with the geometry a little and the handling feels more "traditional" compared to the Paragon frame it replaced. This may be a good thing since the G2 geometry was previously a love it or hate it type thing. Since I brought up the cracking issue...the frame is completely different from the prior Gary Fisher frames. It is quite beefy and they addressed the common breaking point at the seat tube. I don't see this thing cracking like they did in the past.

Comparing the two that you are looking at...I'd go with the Superfly due to the fork alone. But that Recon is a pretty good fork, just a little heavy. So if you really like the way the Cannondale feels compared to the Trek I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

Are you able to ride both to see which feels best to you?
      Last edited by A1an; 06-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Vehicles
      06 GTI BT, 95 BMW 740i
      06-28-2012 09:43 AM #3
      I love my super fly elite,

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      06-28-2012 10:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      ......Comparing the two that you are looking at...I'd go with the Superfly due to the fork alone. But that Recon is a pretty good fork, just a little heavy. So if you really like the way the Cannondale feels compared to the Trek I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

Are you able to ride both to see which feels best to you?
      I did notice that the Superfly does seem to have a little bit of an upgrade with respect to the fork. Otherwise, the two bikes seem to be pretty comparable.

Unfortunately, besides riding in a parking lot, I don't have the ability to ride each back to back on the trails to see which feels the best.

I'm pretty certain that either one will be a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade in components, geometry, weight and overall feel.

Should I just make a decision based on color?

Get the one that matches my car....for now? Or get the one that matches my biking outfits?

Thanks for your input.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-29-2012 08:48 AM #5
      Haha...color matching is very important for parking lot posing before and after the ride.

The parking lot rides should still give you an idea on which feels better for you. Try bumping up and down curbs, over parking stops, riding around in the grass, going around some turns, etc. If both feel equal to you I'd lean towards the Trek due to the fork. There will be no need to upgrade that one down the road. Front end on that Trek will probably feel a bit lighter to you too.

Vehicles
      09-22-2012 08:01 PM #6
      Well, I landed the plane at the beginning of August....and chose neither of the bikes in question. Go figure...

'11 Trek Rumblefish I

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09-24-2012 01:34 PM #7
      Nice choice. How do you like it?

Vehicles
      09-24-2012 08:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Nice choice. How do you like it?
      So far so good. The weather here in South Florida has been wet..... The trail closest to my house has been underwater for the better part of a month...(I found out the hard way yesterday!!)

Still getting used to the "sittin'-on-top-of-the-world" feeling of a 29'er...

Compared to the Fuel 80, the Rumblefish is like Big Foot. With less effort, I am able to navigate the roots and stumps (and everything else) with greater ease....or greater confidence....or a combination of the two.

Next month will be interesting as I'll be in Georgia for my monthly business trip. This time, I've arranged to drive and will be taking both bikes with me (the Fuel will stay)!!! The weather will be fantastic, and I'll get to enjoy some elevation changes. Can't wait.