Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to get lean. What do you guys think of crossfit?

06-28-2012 03:04 AM #1
      Just getting back into working out after a few years of 80 hour work weeks, and way too many trips through the drive through. I was still sporadically in the gym lifting heavy. I actually found that my newfound blubber helped me lift heavier then I ever had.

Time for a 180.

My goal is to lose about 40 lbs and get leaner not bigger. My only problem is that I get incredibly bored doing cardio. I lose focus running, cycling, and swimming.

I'm doing a trial period at a indoor crossfit gym and so far I really like it. It's only 20 minutes of actual work out, but I'm feeling more beat up then spending 2 hours at the gym. They push me harder then I would push myself.

The only downside is that crossfit is really expensive. I could probably hire a personal trainer for the same price. I really like the competitive nature of this place though, and I have a really sporadic schedule.

I'm wondering if people have had good results with crossfit/insanity/p90x or any other low rep high intensity workouts. I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting time/money.

Before you say it I have also totally overhauled my diet. No more beer, and mostly fresh fruits and veggies for the next few months.

I think I'm good on the diet, but mostly want to become more bruce lee, and less Bruce banner.

What worked for you to get leaner?

2. 06-28-2012 05:54 AM #2
      CrossFit sucks. You can do a search on here to find out why.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-28-2012 08:09 AM #3
      I'd say anything that you enjoy, that keeps you motivated, and you keep up with, and you're golden.

I've never done it, but I know a few people who've been doing it for quite some time. It's intense, and it's hard to stick with. But those that have look incredible.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

4. Member
      06-28-2012 09:39 AM #4
      Really the only people that don't hate crossfitters are the crossfitters themselves and I'm not convinced that they don't really hate each other. It's a cult and a dangerous one mentally and for some, physically.

If you need to get motivated and that is what you need- I would recommend getting the workouts down and then GTFO. HIIT isn't that hard to learn and figure out on your own, without the ego centric attitude to accompany it.

06-28-2012 09:57 AM #5
      If your CF box is a good gym, then you'll have no problem with CF. All of the issues that I have heard/read about on here and other forums, are easily eliminated by a gym with good trainers, who understand programming and what the workouts they chose actually do to the body.

Here in SLC we have about a dozen CF gyms. I wouldn't step foot in any of them but one. The trainers there are intelligent and the programming is great. The issue is that the other 11 or so gyms in the area, people consider equivalent, and that is not the case.

quick addendum : The other thing I really enjoy about the "good gym" I am talking about, is that the trainers will actually stop you, if your form is not great. My roommate went for a month or so, and was complaining about how they were "limiting his workout" by making him stop on certain movements.

ALSO, CF for girls, is great IMO. Though, the same theory above still applies.
      Last edited by kryptonik; 06-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      06-28-2012 10:01 AM #6
      I've been to a couple of different 'boxes'. One was cultish and the other was pretty laid back. Honestly, I feel a little ripped off paying their prices and only getting a 20-30min workout. I was wore out during the workout but after a 10 min. break I could have done more. Plus, it can be just as boring. Run 400m, do 20 pushups, rinse/repeat for 15 min. or whatever. If it wasn't an Oly lifting session I wasn't really interested and got bored even though it was high intensity.

FWIW, I've probably been 8-9x.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

7. 06-28-2012 10:42 AM #7

Don't do it, brother! Go to a regular gym, brother! Ohh yeahhH!

8. Member
      06-28-2012 10:52 AM #8
      Each Crossfit gym is only as good as the trainers who run it. Which is also true of any gym not named "Crossfit." So, at best, the Crossfit brand name is meaningless. At worst, it's a negative because some of their programming is retarded and dangerous and prone to causing injury. And if you have a trainer who knows nothing but what Crossfit taught him, that's not good.

Remember all those people rupturing their Achilles tendons doing box jumps for reps?

http://myathleticlife.com/2012/03/ac...ture-crossfit/

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      06-28-2012 05:12 PM #9
      I would check out your local CF. I have a friend in Philly that is been doing it for well over a year now and is not a "gym" type of person and loves it. Its very intense.

I visited my local CF and was impressed with the trainer/owner. He was very receptive to what my needs and wants are.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-28-2012 06:35 PM #10

OP must be new here.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      06-28-2012 07:34 PM #11
      I can't hate CrossFit too much. One of my friends is part owner of a location. They're pretty much against the koolaid there and he's one of the better Oly coaches I know. They also happen to run their own just strength & conditioning classes as well. I'd put it this way though. If you've got specific goals and are willing to plan for yourself, you can do better than most CrossFit locations.

On the other hand, if you're hard to motivate and do better in a competitive group environment, CrossFit might be the answer for you. I recommended one of my friends to get into it and it's working well for her. She just wants to get leaner and in better all around shape. She shows up. They have a workout already laid out. She does pullups, rows, burpees, whatever else it is they do. You get sweaty. You yell at other people who are working out. It doesn't have to be more than that.

All that being said, don't forget that if you're willing to look there are other group workout/boot camp opportunities that are legit. Just ask Spoolin.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-28-2012 08:30 PM #12
      yeah, girls and crossfit seem to work well. The girls look as good as the ones in Spoolin's vids.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      06-28-2012 09:46 PM #13
      Getting lean has a great deal to do with what happens in the kitchen, no?

As for CrossFit? Wow is all I can say about some of the nonsense (pros and cons, hate and koolaid) going on about it.

I've done the gym thing for years (never again)..... Now, self-motivated, I spend my mornings (5 am) in my garage.....having done P90X......Insanity.....Spinning.

For the past 3 months or so, while out of town for business in GA, I've done CrossFit at 30518 (I'm cool).... 4 out of the 5 days that I'm in Buford.

I'm not gonna lie. It's tough, but damn if I'm gonna allow ANYONE, whether it be some LAFitness trainer or CrossFit yahoo, get me hurt. Hell, I wasn't even about to let Tony Horton (P90X) or Shaun T (Insanity) get me hurt!!!

I know my limitations and so should you. You know your fitness level. You know your athleticism (or should). You know your physical limitations. ... Although, I must say that the human mind and body are together quite AMAZING!!!

I say you get what you put into anything. Be smart.... Be safe..... Be positive.... Be open-minded.

"If you don't want things to change, keep doing what you're doing."

You seem to be on the right track. Just shake it up a bit.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      06-28-2012 11:39 PM #14
      Just say no to Kipping Pullups.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      06-29-2012 10:39 AM #15
      I tried crossfit and never liked it. It seemed cultish because they have so many unorthodox training techniques that go against common sense and made up key words that are more like catch phrases. I can see I'm not alone in my opinion on this thread. Not only that but I've heard of people getting rhabdo from crossift. There's been quite a few reports about it and I guess the cult guru of crossfit wrote an article responding to the criticism. Anyway I'm not a doctor so I won't go into it.

Basically in my experience and 'research' on fitness I've always found that many times people are succeeding in spite of their training and not because of it. There are a lot of gurus, coaches and trainers out there with their own techniques. When it comes to scientific studies that have been done on these techniques however, the results are different. The scientific studies usually show that almost any exercise works equally as well. They'll test two groups of individuals doing different training, a common test is 1 set vs 3 sets. One group will do an exercise for one set 3 times per week and the other group will do three sets three times per week. At the end of a 4 month period both groups will have almost identical strength gains. The reason is everyone is different and responds differently to training. There is no one size fits all program. The only thing we can really say for certain when it comes to exercise is that some exercise is better at making you stronger/skinner than no exercise.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

06-29-2012 11:13 AM #16
      joined a box a couple of months ago and am enjoying it. small size with people you frequently see helps to motivate you. as mentioned before some WOD's are super high intensity but short. those days i usually do some suplemental work, and our good trainer usually helps you choose something that went with your WOD or you can do whatever you want. check out the place. ours is pretty laid back. i think if you walk in and see everyone in brand new oly shoes with knee high socks its border cult center.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      06-29-2012 12:36 PM #17
      Most of the regulars to this forum aren't the biggest fans of crossfit. If you're looking to get in better shape check out our FAQ.

Essentially it's going to tell you to eat better and try out a 5x5, 3x5 workout program. Something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

This will require a gym with a basic free weights section, Bench, Barbells, Squat Rack, Weights. I believe Gold's Gym is $9.99/month.

Check out the FAQ, lots more info there.
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      06-29-2012 03:01 PM #18
      I thought cross fit will turn anyone into an Elite Athlete ?

06-29-2012 03:49 PM #19
      crossfit = totalism

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      06-29-2012 04:01 PM #20
      My Brother in law is all about it. He's seen some impressive results. He's had a few knee surgeries and he's been doing Crossfit for probably about 4 months so far no injuries. In fact he says he's able to play soccer without pain now, which was never possible. Maybe his trainer knows what he/she is doing.(?)

He's also doing a Paleo diet. He went from pretty flabby (about the average early 30's American) to being pretty darned fit. We'll see how it goes after about a year.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

21. 06-29-2012 10:10 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      He's also doing a Paleo diet. He went from pretty flabby (about the average early 30's American) to being pretty darned fit. We'll see how it goes after about a year.

This is pretty much the only reason CFers see great results.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      06-29-2012 11:19 PM #22
      The paleo diet is interesting but I don't quite believe it. I'm going to make a new diet called "alien diet" and it's going to be based on what our future evolved selves will eat, and it'll just be mostly guessing based on casual observations and Star Trek food. Of course people will buy my Klingon Crab Juice because anyone who's seen Star Trek knows how strong Klingons are. After that's played out I might just make a zombie diet for "strength that doesn't die."
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

23. 06-29-2012 11:30 PM #23
      You don't believe it? There really isn't a whole lot of debate in the scientific and nutritional communities about what our ancestors ate, it's just whether or not it's optimal. But to not "believe" paleo is to...

Say god is an idiot (if you're a creationist)
      Say evolution failed (if you're an evolutionist)

06-30-2012 12:53 AM #24
      Crossfit is ****ing awesome!
      It's all about squats and deads.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      06-30-2012 07:19 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      You don't believe it? ... not "believe" paleo is to...
      *black and white statement with isms and ists*
      Don't take it too personally, I'm glad if it works for you.

26. 06-30-2012 09:08 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Don't take it too personally, I'm glad if it works for you.
      lol wow you are dumb.

Vehicles
      06-30-2012 12:12 PM #27
      the internet....sometimes

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-30-2012 02:37 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      the internet....sometimes
      Welcome to the Health & Fitness forum.

You have to come in here realizing this is all in all, a car enthusiast site. Nice to have these hobby areas, but gotta take the good with the bad.

Some people are just so set in their ways, and have such narrow tunnel vision, that they never seem to give good, positive advice. Then when someone questions, they stoop to insults. Best to just ignore it, and do your own research and find a plan that works for you.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

29. Member
      06-30-2012 02:59 PM #29
      sounds like someone is on a stupid paleo diet or some ****

30. Member
      06-30-2012 03:00 PM #30

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      06-30-2012 04:44 PM #31
      I bet none of these Olympians are on the pelio diet. I see this one gymnast, you can see all the muscle striations in his shoulders especially on the rings.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      06-30-2012 05:48 PM #32
      A World-class aff-leete(sic) should have striations.... or at least more than a working-class human being just trying to cheat 'Ole Father Time by staying active with a somewhat healthy lifestyle...(whatever that may be).....

• gym rat
      • CrossFit(ter)
      • garage ho (me)
      • boulder mover

.....and making smart choices in the grocery store (or the farmer's market of choice) and the kitchen (or favorite restaurant).

To each his own. Whatever works I suppose.... as long as he/she doesn't rupture their achilles tendon...

33. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      06-30-2012 08:13 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      My Brother in law is all about it. He's seen some impressive results. He's had a few knee surgeries and he's been doing Crossfit for probably about 4 months so far no injuries. In fact he says he's able to play soccer without pain now, which was never possible. Maybe his trainer knows what he/she is doing.(?)

Losing weight makes running around easier on the body.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500e, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi, 2004 Acura TSX
      06-30-2012 08:21 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      You don't believe it? There really isn't a whole lot of debate in the scientific and nutritional communities about what our ancestors ate, it's just whether or not it's optimal. But to not "believe" paleo is to...

Say god is an idiot (if you're a creationist)
      Say evolution failed (if you're an evolutionist)
      I think his point was that the paleo diet consists of low fat, low carb, low sugar, and it doesn't take a lot of research to suggest that that type of diet would help the average person 30lbs overweight to drop weight.

Now whether people can maintain that type of diet when it was available to them the whole time is debatable.

The whole thing about our ancestors though seems like, a smokescreen. Our ancestors lived until thirty, their teeth fell out, they died of diseases rather early. Should we adopt all of their lifestyle habits?

Plus I have read enough from people who are on the paleo diets who "miraculously" find a way to include alcohol in their diets, to know that the "ancestors" line of reasoning is just for convenience sake.

35. 07-01-2012 01:52 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      I think his point was that the paleo diet consists of low fat, low carb, low sugar, and it doesn't take a lot of research to suggest that that type of diet would help the average person 30lbs overweight to drop weight.

Now whether people can maintain that type of diet when it was available to them the whole time is debatable.

The whole thing about our ancestors though seems like, a smokescreen. Our ancestors lived until thirty, their teeth fell out, they died of diseases rather early. Should we adopt all of their lifestyle habits?

Plus I have read enough from people who are on the paleo diets who "miraculously" find a way to include alcohol in their diets, to know that the "ancestors" line of reasoning is just for convenience sake.
      '

It's pretty obvious that you have no idea what the paleo diet actually is. Also to bring up points like our ancestors died at 30 and their teeth fell out as if that's a reason not to eat like they did, is to suggest that processed grains are the reason why we now live to be older and our teeth don't fall out.

Really all paleo is, is eating whole foods. Since no one eats raw grain, those are pretty much out the window. Anyone who thinks that eating paleo wouldn't "work" is saying that eating processed foods is better than eating real food.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast