Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get lean. What do you guys think of crossfit?

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-01-2012 04:43 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      Plus I have read enough from people who are on the paleo diets who "miraculously" find a way to include alcohol in their diets, to know that the "ancestors" line of reasoning is just for convenience sake.
      That's why my aliens diet is so much better. Klingon crab juice makes you strong AND drunk!
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-01-2012 07:14 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      I think his point was that the paleo diet consists of low fat, low carb, low sugar, and it doesn't take a lot of research to suggest that that type of diet would help the average person 30lbs overweight to drop weight.

Now whether people can maintain that type of diet when it was available to them the whole time is debatable.

The whole thing about our ancestors though seems like, a smokescreen. Our ancestors lived until thirty, their teeth fell out, they died of diseases rather early. Should we adopt all of their lifestyle habits?

Plus I have read enough from people who are on the paleo diets who "miraculously" find a way to include alcohol in their diets, to know that the "ancestors" line of reasoning is just for convenience sake.
      Alcohol is a naturally occurring organic compound. It's caused by fruit fermenting, either on the ground, hanging from the plant that produced the fruit. No reason to suggest that Paleo man didn't get drunk in the right season.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-01-2012 07:34 AM #38
      I went to the wikipedia for paleolithic era and there's a whole section dedicated to making caveman jesus juice Hey if prisoners can do it I'm pretty sure it's so easy even a caveman could do it
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-01-2012 11:35 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Alcohol is a naturally occurring organic compound. It's caused by fruit fermenting, either on the ground, hanging from the plant that produced the fruit. No reason to suggest that Paleo man didn't get drunk in the right season.
      Where I grew up, our neighbor had grape vines all over this back deck. Sure enough, same time every year, we would see racoons around dusk and other animals all day stumbling and falling down all over the place. You'd even find them "passed out" in the middle of the yard.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      07-01-2012 11:38 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Ya seriously, ever open up an old bannana? You can just smell all the alcohol in it.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      07-01-2012 12:00 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Where I grew up, our neighbor had grape vines all over this back deck. Sure enough, same time every year, we would see racoons around dusk and other animals all day stumbling and falling down all over the place. You'd even find them "passed out" in the middle of the yard.
      Raccoons are known for not being able to hold their liqueur. Bastards love to get drunk then go through people's garbage.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-01-2012 12:14 PM #42
      You'd even find them "passed out" in the middle of the yard.
      So what did you do with the gaze of raccoons sleeping in your yard?

07-03-2012 03:22 PM #43
      Ok so week two and I really like it so far. Lost about ten pounds by cutting out beer and eating smarter.

How often is too often to do this type of work out. Some people go every day. The workouts do vary greatly but always seem to err towards a lower body focus.

My years in regular gyms have made me think one day on one day off but I really like the results and want to get my Monies worth.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-03-2012 03:38 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      So what did you do with the gaze of raccoons sleeping in your yard?
      Nothing. They would just go on their way eventually.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      07-03-2012 03:42 PM #45
      Nothing. They would just go on their way eventually.
      Probably to get get a sausage egg mcMuffin and some Gatorade.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      07-03-2012 04:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Ya seriously, ever open up an old bannana? You can just smell all the alcohol in it.
      I cut up a pineapple the other day that was probably a couple days past its ideal ripeness and it smelled boozy as Hell. Now the idea of seeing drunken animals is interesting...

07-03-2012 04:16 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Ok so week two and I really like it so far. Lost about ten pounds by cutting out beer and eating smarter.

You lost weight by working out and cleaning up your diet?! THIS is the new ideology CF brings to the table!
      It's all about squats and deads.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      07-03-2012 04:31 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      You lost weight by working out and cleaning up your diet?! THIS is the new ideology CF brings to the table!
      As much as i think crossfit is for women and homosexuals, if it gets the average person to get off their butts and then it's good for something...

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      07-03-2012 06:09 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      Some people just really need the extra motivation and structure to get them moving. Sounds like these CF classes provide this. Hey if its working for you then that is good.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-03-2012 07:40 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post

How often is too often to do this type of work out. Some people go every day. The workouts do vary greatly but always seem to err towards a lower body focus.

My years in regular gyms have made me think one day on one day off but I really like the results and want to get my Monies worth.
      largest muscles in the body. Why would it be an err to work those out if you want to lose weight? Eventually not taking time off to rest will result in an injury that will take much longer to recover from than a day or two.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

07-03-2012 07:49 PM #51
      Yeah that is my concern I think I will aim for four days a week, and do swimming/surfing/cycling on the off days

17. Member
      07-04-2012 08:56 AM #52
      Sounds like you may have actually found a CF gym that knows what they are talking about.

18. 07-05-2012 09:27 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Sounds like you may have actually found a CF gym that knows what they are talking about.
      Unlikely, since people that know what they are talking about don't condone CF.

19. Member
      07-28-2012 05:28 PM #54
      Found this thanks to Nick Diaz's twitter. Nothing new to the forum regulars, but here it is.

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

20. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-03-2012 02:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post

For the past 3 months or so, while out of town for business in GA, I've done CrossFit at 30518 (I'm cool).... 4 out of the 5 days that I'm in Buford.
      CF Gwinett? on Belle wood ct? in with the PL gym and next to wrestling gym that caters to every F'n douchebag in the area?

Our office is right around the corner (for the next month)..

I had heard they were good and thought about going there when I was leaving my gym a few months ago but decided to keep the cash and just start buying my own equipment. The coach I liked working with who was leaving my gym highly recommended them.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      08-03-2012 02:44 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      CF Gwinett? on Belle wood ct? in with the PL gym and next to wrestling gym that caters to every F'n douchebag in the area?

I had heard they were good and thought about going there when I was leaving my gym a few months ago but decided to keep the cash and just start buying my own equipment. The coach I liked working with who was leaving my gym highly recommended them.
      I just checked out their site and HOLY COW. The head guy's best lifts were:

Best Competition lifts of 722 lb Squat, 474 lb Bench, 600 lb Deadlift and 1779 lb Total
      The squat was in the 148lbs weight class; which according to his profile is a world record.

The trainers seem to be former competitive OLY lifters. Sounds legit.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

22. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-03-2012 03:14 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      I just checked out their site and HOLY COW. The head guy's best lifts were:

The squat was in the 148lbs weight class; which according to his profile is a world record.

The trainers seem to be former competitive OLY lifters. Sounds legit.

Yeah from what I was told/researched the CF gym was run by a guy out of his house, once he got big enough to need a space he teamed up with the guy who owned the PL gym since that was also sort of part time. I think he sublet his gym space to some guy at some point also that does off season training for a few local HS wrestling teams, which are now in their own space next door possibly?

The PL guy and the CF guy seemed fine. The students at the wrestling gym though need to be taught some serious lessons on respect via a beating. Never seen a bigger bunch of disrepectful a-holes. They kick cars as they drive by, throw rocks, spit at them. Run 10 wide and 5 deep across two lanes at 5pm when everyone is trying to leave work. Usually at least a few parent/coaches with them too it's ridiculous.

08-03-2012 09:18 PM #58
      I dislike all cults equally !

08-03-2012 09:21 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      I only put old bananas and other " ripe" foods in my workout drinks ! Lol

08-03-2012 10:59 PM #60
      Who was the Wolf guy speaking to in that video? His language (don't get me wrong I don't mind dirty mouths and use the words constantly, especially while fighting fires ) makes me view him as a whiny little b*tch who is completely unprofessional and who is just there to talk down about Crossfit.

No I don't like Crossfit either.

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      08-04-2012 12:35 AM #61

No.....

This gym is off Buford Drive and Buford Highway...

A small one between a car wash...doggie daycare and a pizza place dough factory...I think...

Kristen and Cameron are nice people....

27. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-05-2012 08:37 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      No.....

This gym is off Buford Drive and Buford Highway...

A small one between a car wash...doggie daycare and a pizza place dough factory...I think...

Kristen and Cameron are nice people....

Ah cool I know where it is but haven't actually seen it myself, newish? Hadn't heard of it. The names sound familiar but can't put faces to them.

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      08-05-2012 07:33 PM #63
      Ah cool I know where it is but haven't actually seen it myself, newish? Hadn't heard of it. The names sound familiar but can't put faces to them.
      Relatively new....

I like them.... I get what I can out of them while away from my home gym for 4 days. It works....better than the one elliptical, one treadmill, one bike and 5 dumb bells at the hotel.

I just don't go crazy.....

I take this crossfit thing with a grain of salt. I've done P90X and Insanity, played sports all my life and done the gym thing. To me, its a combination of all of the above. Bring discipline, tenacity, knowledge, some structure, a positive attitude and a burning desire to sweat....and its ALL good!!!

29. 08-06-2012 09:44 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      Who was the Wolf guy speaking to in that video? His language (don't get me wrong I don't mind dirty mouths and use the words constantly, especially while fighting fires ) makes me view him as a whiny little b*tch who is completely unprofessional and who is just there to talk down about Crossfit.

No I don't like Crossfit either.

not sure is serious or if trolling.

30. 08-07-2012 01:08 PM #65
      CrossFit aka CultFit is a ****ing joke..

Can the workouts be difficult in an insane amount of time yes... will you sweat .. yes.. will you look like you goto the gym every day.. probably not..

my main issue with crossfit is the importance of finishing reps no matter what... all this does is cause injury.. if you cant do it with proper form.. dont ****ing do it.. dont invent a swinging motion to utilize momentum to do a pullup.. if you want to do that go compete for ninja warrior..

i could go on for honestly way to long but first thing i would do.. is change your diet.. if your trying to lose weight i would prob. cut out fruit completely.. its high in sugar and prob. a huge contributor to your weight..

Get this book "The ABS Diet" by David Zincmenko (spell check) it will teach you what you need to know to proper nutrition / dieting

And honestly.. you will lose more weight, weight training then doing cardio.. weight training builds more muscle mass.. the more muscle you have the more calories you burn while sitting still... plus.. when you weight train your body is burning calories for approx 6-8 hours after the workout.. versus like 30mins of cardio..

If you do do cardio I reccomend doing it on an empty stomach for 45-1hr and honestly walking on an incline at like a 3.8-4.2 pace.. that will keep your heart rate in about the prime area for fat burning.. unless your like 70 years old and super out of shape..
      I dont want my J-Lines anymore...

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-07-2012 01:15 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Whitey(banned)vr6 View Post

Get this book "The ABS Diet" by David Zincmenko (spell check) it will teach you what you need to know to proper nutrition / dieting
      I got it already. Looks interesting...

32. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 01:19 PM #67

my main issue with crossfit is the importance of finishing reps no matter what... all this does is cause injury.. if you cant do it with proper form.. dont ****ing do it..

This has been proven FALSE every time it comes up.

You can cheat reps and range of motion in ANY gym in any country on any continent doing any style of workout..

CF has NOTHING to do with the fact that people are cheaters.

33. 08-07-2012 01:48 PM #68
      This has been proven FALSE every time it comes up.

You can cheat reps and range of motion in ANY gym in any country on any continent doing any style of workout..

CF has NOTHING to do with the fact that people are cheaters.
      Of course it can be done in any gym.. and is often.. but i know gyms where you wont see this at all.. and I have yet to walk in one crossfit gym that hasnt show this..

And if your saying they dont promote it... then what is a "KIP" a cool 3 letter word some crossfitter chose because it sounded better than a cheater-pullup

and one thing your not taking into mind.. is that crossfit promotes a competitive nature ... which isnt bad.. except for the fact that most crossiftters will let the peer pressure pressure them into completing reps with improper form... why.. because they dont want the trainer to call them a ***** or what not..
      I dont want my J-Lines anymore...

34. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 02:13 PM #69
      Of course it can be done in any gym.. and is often..

good

The rest of what you wrote before and again now is just worthless and no one should be subject to reading it.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      08-07-2012 02:21 PM #70
      lol @ 'cut out fruit completely' comment.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast