Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get lean. What do you guys think of crossfit?

1. 08-07-2012 02:36 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      good

The rest of what you wrote before and again now is just worthless and no one should be subject to reading it.
      Why is that? Is it not important for peers to know what could potentially hurt them ? I don't so much have issues with crossfit... But more so the people who do it a) improperly and b) act like there better then weightlifters/bodybuilders because they couldn't ever get big..

And the paleo diet is garbage ... And is a very common following in the crossfit community
      I dont want my J-Lines anymore...

08-07-2012 02:42 PM #72
      CF doesn't promote high reps with poor form? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
      It's all about squats and deads.

3. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:08 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Whitey(banned)vr6 View Post
      Why is that? Is it not important for peers to know what could potentially hurt them ? I don't so much have issues with crossfit... But more so the people who do it a) improperly and b) act like there better then weightlifters/bodybuilders because they couldn't ever get big..

Your extreme ignorance and what will actually end up hurting people is the fact that you continue to single out one brand name of workout as a cause for injuries that are possible in EVERY GYM.

If you truely cared as you claimed you would actually look up what you are talking about and not just regurgitate what someone else told you.

People bench press at a regular gym improperly and hurt themselves daily.. why are you not posting warnings.

If you were concerned about your peers you would make educated comments about safety being a concern at every level of fitness and at every type of gym, that is not what you are doing which is why your posts are worthless.

4. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:10 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      CF doesn't promote high reps with poor form? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

CF itself does not in anyway shape or form promote that, poor coaching does which can be found in every form of gym around the globe.

08-07-2012 03:13 PM #75
      High reps for time is asking for poor form, especially on the Olympic lifts.

The "injuries happen everywhere" defense from CF apologists cracks me up. Carry on.

6. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:16 PM #76
      High reps for time is asking for poor form, especially on the Olympic lifts.

The "injuries happen everywhere" defense from CF apologists cracks me up. Carry on.

So no one has been injured working out outside of a CF gym?

Poor form has never been seen outside a CF gym?

Every gym other then CF gyms has properly trained and certified coaches/trainers?

Thinking about what you say before saying it cracks you up?

08-07-2012 03:20 PM #77
      I could get hit by a car crossing a country road. The odds of getting hit increase when I decide to cross a freeway.

Form breaks down with high reps. High reps for time increases the likelihood of bad form.

High reps of Olympic lifts for time? Disaster waiting to happen.
      High reps of GHR situps? Rhabdo.
      High rep box jumps? Blown Achilles.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-07-2012 03:21 PM #78

Get this book "The ABS Diet" by David Zincmenko (spell check) it will teach you what you need to know to proper nutrition / dieting
      Ok man I just went through the book, read the first couple chapters and skimmed the rest. It's all kind of basic stuff. It seems like it's aimed at an audience who knows absolutely nothing about nutrition. I didn't get anything from it.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

08-07-2012 03:22 PM #79
      Where did he ever say there aren't injuries elsewhere?? He simply pointed out the higher risk

08-07-2012 03:24 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Where did he ever say there aren't injuries elsewhere?? He simply pointed out the higher risk
      Like I said, it's pretty common to hear this argument from CF people. Nothing new. I wonder when Reebok will make CF Strawmen? hahaha

11. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:27 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post

Based on what? the opinion of people that don't like a certain type of work out and will do anything in their power to discredit?

Do you call a Ford dealer to find out info on the chevy you are looking to buy?

People don't like CF.. those people rant and rave about injuries and problems... those same people completely ignore people injure themselves daily doing the activities they promote.

No work out is perfect, not a single one is injury proof either.

12. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:28 PM #82
      Like I said, it's pretty common to hear this argument from CF people.

I don't do crossfit, I can simply think for myself and don't instantly shun anything I don't like.

08-07-2012 03:32 PM #83
      I don't do crossfit, I can simply think for myself and don't instantly shun anything I don't like.
      Right. You just have a more developed thought process than others. That's it.

14. Member
      08-07-2012 03:43 PM #84
      This is like two guys shoving each other back and forth knowing nothing is going to amount to anything different than it ever has.

08-07-2012 03:45 PM #85
      I know. I always get sucked in to these dumb arguments. The end of CF is coming.

16. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:46 PM #86
      Right. You just have a more developed thought process than others. That's it.

Based on some of the comments in this thread I do yes.

I'm not so full of myself and single minded that I attack a type of work out I don't understand and the people who do it simply because its different then what I like.

I'm open enough to see that anyone who is willing to put the effort in to change their life and get in shape should be encouraged and not attacked simply because you don't agree with the brand name of workout they are doing.

Your idiotic comments are a disservice to the fitness community, they do nothing to encourage people to get off the couch and into a gym. Comments like yours are exactly why people dislike the gym and are afraid to go. Your closed minded judging isn't helping anyone.

17. 08-07-2012 03:47 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Ok man I just went through the book, read the first couple chapters and skimmed the rest. It's all kind of basic stuff. It seems like it's aimed at an audience who knows absolutely nothing about nutrition. I didn't get anything from it.
      Well this is what I got from that book...your right though.. It is simple information ... It just shows how mentally weak people are when it comes to there own nutrition...

This pic is my before and after from my most recent deployment to Afghanistan.... For chris@revo since he is a bold little cult fitter I would like you to know that the before pic on the top were while I was forced to do crossfit for a 6 month time period... Gotta love the military... Anyhow my time in Afghanistan was spent with bodybuilding-like techniques sacrificing weight for form... I also maintained a very strict diet and did No cardio other than standard foot patrols etc.

I never said you can't get hurt at a normal gym... You are the ignorant one because I openly stated that in my first response.. And why do you need to do the daily "wod" when you could just implement slow rest cycles and calisthenics into a normal workout...

Bottom line is ... I don't go around wearing shirts that say powerlifter or bodybuilder .... Why the he'll do so many tools wear shirts that say crossfit ?

Probably because by there physique you would never know they worked out so they just want to make sure you know they do something .

18. 08-07-2012 03:50 PM #88

Your idiotic comments are a disservice to the fitness community, they do nothing to encourage people to get off the couch and into a gym. Comments like yours are exactly why people dislike the gym and are afraid to go. Your closed minded judging isn't helping anyone.
      I feel like a new person should not do crossfit .. Because competing against a clock is not the time to learn form... The whole reason why I stressed for them not to do it... You are doing the dis-service because now they will get injured and will have an excuse to hang onto

19. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:50 PM #89

For chris@revo since he is a bold little cult fitter

I don't do crossfit but ok..

20. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-07-2012 03:54 PM #90
      I feel like a new person should not do crossfit .. Because competing against a clock is not the time to learn form... The whole reason why I stressed for them not to do it... You are doing the dis-service because now they will get injured and will have an excuse to hang onto

If you were even remotely educated on CF you would understand that just like a regular trainer and gym wouldn't throw a 150lbs guy under a 300lbs bar and expect him to bench it on day 1 that a proper CF gym does not expect someone starting go for time or max weight either. The focus for MONTHS is form over anything else.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-07-2012 04:01 PM #91
      This pic is my before and after from my most recent deployment to Afghanistan....

Impressive results. It looks like leaning out really helped bring out the definition. Did you use steroids?
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

08-07-2012 04:34 PM #92

I love the internet.

23. 08-07-2012 05:19 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Impressive results. It looks like leaning out really helped bring out the definition. Did you use steroids?
      Not at all... that is what months of training and proper diet will do... first pics at 210... ending result pics at 206

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-07-2012 05:40 PM #94
      Not at all... that is what months of training and proper diet will do... first pics at 210... ending result pics at 206
      I didn't even think I was looking at the same person. You don't think you're genetically gifted or anything?

25. 08-07-2012 06:07 PM #95
      Not at all, I put on weight so easy it's sickening ... All I can stress is diet ... To everyone

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      08-07-2012 06:24 PM #96
      The end of CF is coming.

the number of boxes went up 50% in the last year and 2012 games brought in something like 70000participants.
      cf branded exercise, somehow made itself appealing to men and women while providing a sense of community and competition and charges a premium for it.
      it isnt going anywhere soon.

27. 08-07-2012 08:39 PM #97
      Go watch the video of Jon North (The #1 ranked 94kg Weightlifter in this country) do the 30 rep clean and press workout for time, and you'll get to see his form break down right around half way...We're talking about the best weightlifter in his category in the country. If he can't do a CF workout with good form, then it has nothing to do with the coaching, it has to do with the programming.

08-07-2012 08:47 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Go watch the video of Jon North (The #1 ranked 94kg Weightlifter in this country) do the 30 rep clean and press workout for time, and you'll get to see his form break down right around half way...We're talking about the best weightlifter in his category in the country. If he can't do a CF workout with good form, then it has nothing to do with the coaching, it has to do with the programming.
      //thread

08-07-2012 09:50 PM #99
      Tony you just need to open your mind! Haha

30. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-08-2012 08:09 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post

Clearly that means a program you personally have claimed is just a copy of stuff you yourself and 1000s of other gyms do is flawed simply because one person can't do 30 reps clean.

The programming actually doesn't count a rep with broken or poor form, again something missed by those who chose to not actually research what they are crying about. If going faster breaks your form then you are actually not doing the workout as per the programming. So not doing it as per the program is a problem with the program how exactly?

Why is the number one weight lifter doing something so dangerous?

Really the point is that this one aspect of a brand name workout is being singled out as if it is the ONLY thing that is done at CF gyms.

31. 08-08-2012 09:02 AM #101
      I've done CrossFit , Jim jones , SEALfit and military athlete... All of them are very similar and can all be done at a box... But for you to say they don't count reps of poor form, maybe I've just never been to a box like that... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... I just know from MY EXPERIENCE at "crossfit inception" And "diverge" they never told someone a rep didn't count unless it wasn't fully completed... Ex: didn't make it all the way over the pullup bar or didn't complete a full press or something

This isn't a pissing match ... This is just making someone aware of the situation he's about be thrown into. I Think crossfit and sealfit are awesome workout routines for "usable" muscle. I just feel like most of the Olympic lifts need a high level of experience before being thrown into a full blown routine.

You made a comment earlier stating That for weeks they stress form ... Well I'm gonna comment on that with 2 things...

1) I never saw a trainer spend more than 1 hour with a member on form at the box

2) it took me almost 2 years to get my squat form perfect... I don't think a dude off the couch can walk into a box and within 4-5 weeks have the form and mental connection with his muscles to keep his core tight and compressed while conducting compound and complex lifts for time.

Now yes, I Agree... You can do this at any gym as you keep pointing out ... Yes... But at golds gym you don't walk in and have someone tell you do 100 Turkish get-ups until you lose stability and the weight falls bak on you and you goto brace yourself and snap your wrist...

That happened to my buddy doing a WOD, like I said I think its a great idea, I utilize some techniques from crossfit.... I just think it is for more of an advanced crew than the random people you will see there ...

Oh and my wifes best friend looks like her hands are sandpaper from crossfit , I asked why she didn't wear gloves an she said everyone makes fun of people who wear them...

That Is sheer stupidity and shows the type of people you will find in a crossfit gym...

Maybe I'm just not "hardcore" enough to like it

32. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-08-2012 09:09 AM #102
      I've done CrossFit , Jim jones , SEALfit and military athlete... All of them are very similar and can all be done at a box... But for you to say they don't count reps of poor form, maybe I've just never been to a box like that...

Find a better gym/coach/trainer then, plain and simple your problem was not with CF it was with crappy coaching.

Again you have proven my point it isn't CF itself it is the quality of the people directing the program at the gym you go to.

The same poor training and coaching can be found at ANY gym and is not specific to CF.

08-08-2012 09:27 AM #103
      Dude come on.

Just watch those idiots do chin-ups

Don't get me wrong some of the stuff is good to do , but the chin ups are down right hilarious and ugly .

Its a cult , its that simple.

08-08-2012 09:29 AM #104

Oh and my wifes best friend looks like her hands are sandpaper from crossfit , I asked why she didn't wear gloves an she said everyone makes fun of people who wear them...

That Is sheer stupidity and shows the type of people you will find in a crossfit gym...

Maybe I'm just not "hardcore" enough to like it
      Meh gloves are for wussys I will agree with that

35. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-08-2012 09:38 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post

Its a cult , its that simple.

I'd never disagree with that and haven't.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast