Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you give up Pop/Soda/Cola/etc...?

Vehicles
      2010 Passat CC Mocha Anthracite ST Performance Coilovers 18" Samarkand w/Contineltal DWS
      07-23-2012 04:20 PM #36
      Switched to sparkling water, and German fizzy water. My brain thinks they are sodas.

Vehicles
      1996 Toyota Taco; 2004 MKIV TR .:R32, 2010 BMW X5D, 2012 Scott Foil 30
      07-24-2012 01:45 PM #37
      Well I am officially over the 48hr mark of not having any pop. It has been tough but I should be fine all week. What will be hard is the weekend coming up. I talked to my wife about it and she is going to give it up with me so we can support each other. She doesn't drink nearly as much as I did but she can keep me in check.
      A little Japanese, two Germans and a Swiss two wheeler

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      07-24-2012 04:14 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by gls:maverick View Post
      So I am a somewhat healthy person. My wife and I eat fairly well. We are not vegetarians or vegans and eat pretty much every type of food. We cook a majority of our own food and only eat out once or twice a week on a "date" or something.

My only crutch is pop (Mt.Dew and Coke mainly). I would love to give it up completely but I have been drinking it for at least 14 years (I'm 32). We didn't have a lot of pop around the house growing up so it was mainly when I went off to college. I can go a day or three before succumbing to Mt.Dew because I am sure I am addicted somewhat and its comforting to drink.

If you you have been in my position what did you do to give it up? I am fairly fit and ride my road bicycle regularly and drink a ton of water everyday (64oz or so) but I still drink a can or 20oz (on a bad day) constantly.

Help me out!!

Cold turkey... but everynow and then, reward yourself, after accomplishing some sort of goal you set, I dunno, you do a metric century....

I was in Howell, not too long ago... visiting Michigan Rod Products...
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

07-24-2012 04:56 PM #39
      Just stop drinking it. I smoked for 6 years and kept researching the best way to quit. What electronic butts should I smoke? Should I ween myself off? How long should I use the patch for? etc...

Then I just realized those were all crutches, and it was a simple as stopping. So I stopped. I had a wicked ****ty 2 weeks, a bad first month, but now over 4 months later and I'm still not smoking. Just deal with it for a week or two and move on

5. 07-29-2012 02:57 PM #40
      I believe that I had it the opposite as you. It seemed like we always had a two liter bottle of cola in the fridge and six more in the pantry. It wasn't until I went to college that I stopped having it near me which really reduced the chances of me drinking it. When I went to the cafeteria instead of soda I would get a milk or water. Eventually the cravings went away.

I noticed that if I have some diet soda I will get back on that bandwagon again for a week or two until I realize the habit is harmful. It is so surprising how addicting soda can get even if you only start up for a week. It takes a few days to get over the cravings and they will randomly pop up weeks later.

Vehicles
      2008 R32, 2001 XJ
      08-01-2012 11:58 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose View Post
      Switched to sparkling water

Same

7. 08-01-2012 12:40 PM #42
      I'm drinking a Mt. Dew as I'm reading this. I'm not fat. I eat pretty healthy. The difference is I know it's bad for me and I use moderation. I haven't had a Mt. Dew since last wednesday and it's not the end of the world if I have one.
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

8. 08-01-2012 12:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by familyguy View Post
      I believe that I had it the opposite as you. It seemed like we always had a two liter bottle of cola in the fridge and six more in the pantry. It wasn't until I went to college that I stopped having it near me which really reduced the chances of me drinking it. When I went to the cafeteria instead of soda I would get a milk or water. Eventually the cravings went away.

I noticed that if I have some diet soda I will get back on that bandwagon again for a week or two until I realize the habit is harmful. It is so surprising how addicting soda can get even if you only start up for a week. It takes a few days to get over the cravings and they will randomly pop up weeks later.
      to add, cravings aren't genetic, they are learned (IMO)

if you never have soda, you'll never want it. My house is the WORST for snacks, I don't keep ANYTHING in the house that you don't have to make to eat. So when I want to snack...I have to make a salad. In return, when I buy do buy a treat, sweet stuff goes a long way with me. Even 2 pieces of candy is plenty. It's just way too much for me after that.

you can control your cravings by your habits. The longer you go without something, you will even lose the taste for it. I don't even much care for soda at all anymore

08-01-2012 04:50 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by gls:maverick View Post
      Well I am officially over the 48hr mark of not having any pop. It has been tough but I should be fine all week. What will be hard is the weekend coming up. I talked to my wife about it and she is going to give it up with me so we can support each other. She doesn't drink nearly as much as I did but she can keep me in check.
      Something's gotta give
      Brazil 2014

10. 08-27-2012 03:27 AM #45
      It is not hard as much as we thing ,I started drinking green tea. Not Sobe green tea with sugar, just plain green tea. It has about half the amount of caffeine as coffee actually so you won't miss the caffeine. There is a phytochemical in green tea called ECGC (Epigallocatechin gallate a catechin) which is quite healthy in a number of ways.
      tomhank

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-27-2012 11:38 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      I started drinking green tea. Not Sobe green tea with sugar, just plain green tea. It has about half the amount of caffeine as coffee actually so you won't miss the caffeine. There is a phytochemical in green tea called ECGC (Epigallocatechin gallate a catechin) which is quite healthy in a number of ways. It has anti-cancer affects for one, it's actually been shown to induce death in cancer cells. It's also a mild aromatase inhibitor. Anyway you could probably just take a green tea supplement too, many multivitamins include it now. I stopped the tea because of the caffeine and only drink water now.
      bots are hilarious
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      08-28-2012 02:19 PM #47
      didnt read the entire thread but are you at all a coffee drinker, or could you be? i'm not talking about a 20oz frappucappawhatever-ccino from starbucks, just an actual cup of coffee with a little milk/creamer/sweetener if need be.

i used to average 3 cans of soda a day in my high school and college years. about 3ish years ago i got off that kick and took a liking to coffee and have gotten into a habit of drinking much more water as well. both of these have been my crutch since and i'll only have soda if i'm out for a drink with friends which rarely happens anyway ( my captain and cokes ). i cant even remember the last time i bought soda to have at the house. out of sight, out of mind

i had a similar issue with just sugar in general; i'd always be eating fruit snacks, skittles and other candy. but same thing, i stopped buying it a few years back and no longer crave it. but if i do end up consuming some, it takes much less and i feel satisfied sooner.
      Last edited by Clean PG; 08-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      08-28-2012 03:39 PM #48
      Lent.

Every Lent for a few years, I made a point to do the 40 days without sodapop (and I was a huge drinker of it).

Now, I can go months without having it. I'm now repulsed by the heavy carbonation and sweetness of it.

Not everyone follows Lent, but apply the same basic ideas of it when giving up the sodapop addiction. 40 days without it.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-29-2012 02:28 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      bots are hilarious
      why am I bot? I don't understand
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

From Florida, lived in Ohio and now am in Texas!
      Vehicles
      New: 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Old: RIP 2002 1.8t
      08-29-2012 12:08 PM #50
      I only drank soda/pop when I was out to eat (I only like stuff out of a fountain really). I stopped drinking it entirely for about a year and recently started doing diet mt. dew for caffeine because I don't drink coffee.. It tastes no different to me than regular dew.

I pretty much drink only three things: Water, Powerade Zero (red, blue or purple..but red/fruit punch is best) and diet mt dew (maybe one a day).
      I love my Ohio State Buckeyes!

Why yes, I am a girl.

Vehicles
      e320 wagon, company issued appliance
      09-04-2012 11:18 AM #51
      Decide to get serious about living on a budget.

I drank a HUGE amount of redbull daily untill recently. Last month my wife and I decided to get serious about our finances and have instituted a $0 daily spending cash budget. I went cold turkey and other than my coffee in the morning, I'm good with it.

I gotta say though, with my caffine consumption the first couple of days were really crappy!
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

17. 09-04-2012 01:34 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by matt007 View Post
      go to iced tea with sugar, to iced tea, to water
      Yeah, my only big vice is sugary drinks (coke, sweet tea, etc.).

I started making tea at home and have been able to gradually lower the sugar content to where there is almost none in there. I think the calorie per 8 oz serving is down to like 15 calories, where it was like 4-5x times that before at the recommended sugar amount. I haven't been able to kick the sugar altogether, but it's progress.

With that said, I still have a goal of kicking sugar altogether if possible. My wife is a social worker at a dialysis clinic and her stories about diabetes are downright terrifying. Supposedly they had a guy who lost his toes, then his foot, then his entire leg below the knee within 3 days! All because of diabetes, or "diabetus" as it is technically known.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-04-2012 05:25 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      why am I bot? I don't understand
      A bot quoted you, word for word, in bold. I quoted the bot and your post, but the bot post finally got deleted.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

19. Member
      09-04-2012 05:32 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by sortadelux View Post
      I drank a HUGE amount of redbull daily untill recently.
      Damn. Even the smell of red bull gives me a hangover now.

This sys admin guy I used to work with would drink can after can of Monster. Literally finishing a can and popping open another. He'd do this all day long.

Vehicles
      e320 wagon, company issued appliance
      09-05-2012 02:14 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Damn. Even the smell of red bull gives me a hangover now.

This sys admin guy I used to work with would drink can after can of Monster. Literally finishing a can and popping open another. He'd do this all day long.
      Yea well, I generally didn't mix my redbull!
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Black 2DR GTI
      09-05-2012 03:23 PM #56
      I haven't drank soda in a month. Feels so great.

Vehicles
      mk3s
      09-06-2012 05:36 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      My house is the WORST for snacks, I don't keep ANYTHING in the house that you don't have to make to eat. So when I want to snack...I have to make a salad.
      Our pantries are polar opposites
      Dan's Auto Sales & Repair CT Auto Repair and Used Car
      Creep....

IM me for Air Ride Installs, Frame notches, ect.

23. 10-20-2012 10:14 PM #58
      How's it been going OP?

I was the worst with sodas, and what's worse is that I would always want to eat something (unhealthy) while drinking it. I can say that I honestly had a mildly serious addiction to Mt. Dew and to those of you that think you can't be addicted to sodas, your wrong. There were times when I would search for replacements with diet sodas, diet gatorade, flavored waters, etc. In the end all they would do is make me want Dew more. I got it in my mind to stop and just gave it up cold turkey, never buy it or have it in the house, and occasionally have a coke if eating out. I drink 99% water now. Down 20lbs and counting and i feel much better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-21-2012 09:30 AM #59
      I very rarely drink soda. I keep gingerale in the house for the tummy, maybe a glass or two a week.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

25. 10-21-2012 10:59 AM #60
      Is it seriously that hard to give up pop? I stopped drinking it when I was 15 after realizing that the 3 orange crushes I drank during an hour TV program were terribly bad for me.

Mind over matter people, it's not that hard.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-26-2012 08:04 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by corradokreep View Post
      Is it seriously that hard to give up pop? I stopped drinking it when I was 15 after realizing that the 3 orange crushes I drank during an hour TV program were terribly bad for me.

Mind over matter people, it's not that hard.
      Actually, yes. In one study sugar was more additive than cocaine. We eat so much sugar we don't even know realize it.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      10-26-2012 08:08 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      Actually, yes. In one study sugar was more additive than cocaine. We eat so much sugar we don't even know realize it.
      Cocaine's not that hard to quit either. Now percoset is a different story....
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

28. 10-26-2012 10:39 AM #63
      I used to drink maybe one pop a day at lunch. I gave all that up when I started training for my half/full marathon. I went from pop, to Gatorade/juice to water. I drink water or milk most of the time now for lunch. I will still drink some pop but it is mixed with whiskey of rum. Once you break the habit it is so awesome!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      97 Ram 1500
      11-13-2012 10:52 AM #64
      Just today decided I'm giving up pop. Since I don't like coffee or tea, the caffeine withdrawal might be difficult.
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      11-25-2012 11:53 PM #65
      I'm trying to kick my pop habit, too. I picked up a new Brita Pitcher to aid in drinking more water since I prefer it chilled, and the water in this old, victorian house has old pipes that makes the water taste funky. I did have huge Zerowater reservoir in my fridge, but it was such a hassle to refill that I didn't want to deal with it so I would open another pop or whatever.

I spend so much on pop it isn't even funny. I would probably say I spend at least $100+ a month of pop either in cans, fast food, 20oz'ers, etc.

For me it's my morning coffee, and it's a comfort drink while I'm working on stressful stuff. I kept drinking pop like crazy even while I was training for a couple ironmans, sometimes consuming 6 cans or more in a day! I'm going to see how it goes. I feel pretty run down the few times I have quit, so I might see a doc to check my insulin sensitivity if I continue to crash after quitting.

Tips are encouraged. I think I'm going to switch to tea/coffee, then slowly reduce the daily caffeine intake.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      11-28-2012 12:38 PM #66
      I quit drinking Diet Mountain Dew by switching to water....with Crystal Light. There is even a Crystal Light flavor with caffeine.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      FS:2004 Passat 1.8t 4motion; 2008 GTI
      11-28-2012 06:15 PM #67
      Soda was easy for me to give up. Sweet Tea on the other hand...

33. Member
      Vehicles
      97 Ram 1500
      11-29-2012 09:00 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
      Just today decided I'm giving up pop. Since I don't like coffee or tea, the caffeine withdrawal might be difficult.
      Well, it's been over two weeks since my last pop. It was actually a lot easier than I expected, considering how much pop I had been drinking. The only difficult time I had was the terrible headache on the fourth day. Since then, I've had no side effects and only a very few cravings.
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-12-2013 10:09 PM #69
      i found that removing sugar from my diet all together was easyer than cutting out one thing at a time.

35. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTi
      01-13-2013 09:25 PM #70
      Give it up cold turkey. Don't keep it in the house - then you only have to worry about eating out. Most people automatically just order a pop when they eat fast food or at a restaurant. Either (a) stop eating at fast food restaurants, or (b) start asking for water instead. It's not that hard. When you're at a nicer restaurant order a club soda at first ... overtime just start ordering water instead.

Seriously though - off all the dietary changes to make, pop should be one of the easier ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast