Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: Rear license plate holder

    1. 06-29-2012 02:27 PM #1
      How does the rear license plate holder plastic piece attach to the hatch? I notice that at the top of mine it seems to be falling back. Does it snap into place or do the license plate screws help to hold it in?

    2. Member cata's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2006
      Location
      Canada eh
      Posts
      2,524
      06-29-2012 03:16 PM #2
      It's deff not via the license plate screws. That's what you do if you want to get it to connect the ghetto way The rest of the answer I do not haz.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2001
      Location
      Tacoma, WA
      Posts
      9,902
      Vehicles
      1960 SC Bus, 1997 GTI VR6, Corrado SLC
      06-29-2012 04:04 PM #3
      It's held on with part number: 171853939. There are 4 back there. They are small rubber/metal clamping grommets.

    4. 06-29-2012 04:21 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ZEBLOR View Post
      It's held on with part number: 171853939. There are 4 back there. They are small rubber/metal clamping grommets.
      Thanks for the help. Is the plinth just pulled on/off for removal or is there a trick to removal? I wonder if they are still available...

    5. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2001
      Location
      Tacoma, WA
      Posts
      9,902
      Vehicles
      1960 SC Bus, 1997 GTI VR6, Corrado SLC
      06-29-2012 06:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by a_riot View Post
      Thanks for the help. Is the plinth just pulled on/off for removal or is there a trick to removal? I wonder if they are still available...
      Just pull them off with some pliers. These are available. This is what I use in the Euro tub kit I sell. I have them in stock. Here an ETKA screen shot!


    6. 06-29-2012 06:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ZEBLOR View Post
      Just pull them off with some pliers. These are available. This is what I use in the Euro tub kit I sell. I have them in stock. Here an ETKA screen shot!
      Thanks. I still don't understand how to get the plastic holder off the hatch though. Is it just pulled off? I don't want to break this expensive piece of unobtainium

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Location
      Lincoln Park, NJ
      Posts
      98
      Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC; 1974 Porsche 914 2.0
      06-30-2012 12:24 AM #7
      Once you get the 4 tabs/grommets off from inside the hatch lid, you can pull it out so the tab surface is beyond the lid. Then slide it down. There is a lip on the bottom of the plastic frame. If you pull it straight off, you'll likely break off the tab/gutter. Mine had double sided tape on it. So took abit of effort to get it off. Not sure if they came that way from the factory.

    8. Member vdubCorrado's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2001
      Location
      Baltimore MD
      Posts
      9,203
      Vehicles
      13 Silverado - 91 Corrado - 99 Mustang GT
      06-30-2012 12:27 AM #8
      all OEM plate tubs had 2 sided tape on the bottom lip where it wraps the hatch so that's normal...

    9. Member dogger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2005
      Location
      Pasadena, CA
      Posts
      12,395
      Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro S-Line
      06-30-2012 03:28 AM #9
      Chances are the plastic tabs on the backside are broken. They almost all break. It was yet another brilliant and cheap design by VW. There is one that is behind the wing motor and its not easy to reach.
      Last edited by dogger; 06-30-2012 at 03:31 AM.

    10. 06-30-2012 12:01 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Chances are the plastic tabs on the backside are broken. They almost all break. It was yet another brilliant and cheap design by VW. There is one that is behind the wing motor and its not easy to reach.
      Yes you are probably right *sigh*...

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •