Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Red 944. Well new to me...

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 05:13 PM #1
      Well as some of you know the cabby was totaled... unlike a boss

Sad sad time was had.

However, after looking for cars for a bit, looking for the perfect replacement for the cabby (while not picking up another cabby) I had many many choices. Narrowed it down to 1 newish car and a few older ones. The newish car wasn't going to happen, so I dwindeled the few older cars down from MG, Fiat 124 spider, A sweet vw kit car based off the beetle, and the 944... I ended up with the 944.

Went, drove it, liked it, ect.

Eh, enough typing onto a **** ton of pictures. *disclaimer* poor picture quality... i'm not that sorry lol.

A week with the 944.

Well After picking the car up Friday June 22nd I got it washed... boy did it need it.
      It cleaned up nice, but you can tell its a 30 year old car. Not to worried it still looks decently good.

I can't give you the exact miles but I know I drove the car over 250 miles between Friday picking it up until Sunday evening parking it into the garage. A nice thing about how you sit in the car is your legs are straight which is great for my knee on long trips (it locks up when bent in a normal car for more then an hours time)

Well for being a 30 year old P - car... she gets lots of looks and lots of thumbs up. People always comment on how nice the car is. She still pulls hard in all gears which is something new moving from the cabriolet to the 944 so it puts a big grin on my face.

I enjoy the sh*t out of this car and love walking into the garage to see it every day.
      Unless you are PW feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks for reading.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      06-29-2012 05:18 PM #2
      Congrats.
      Want to find out where the current Free driving events are being held? Have one to add to the list? Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      You'd think this was a purse forum with all the blathering about stitching and gauges

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan 1.4T Manual
      06-29-2012 05:19 PM #3
      You think the hood's original?
      Offikial Minister of Bad Judgements and Floridian Truths of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      Scoob Crosstrek
      06-29-2012 05:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by superjario18 View Post
      Translation:

No PW, I will not lower it gay shocker sticker dildo on the tow hook with air ride and BBS mad tyte yo.
      Now go get your shinebox

5. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      06-29-2012 05:21 PM #5
      Wrecked a ladies car, bought a manly car.

Thread approved

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 05:21 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DustinM View Post
      You think the hood's original?
      Either not original or painted at one point early on in its life. I would like to get all the mechanical stuff sorted first and then just give it a nice coat of guards red again.

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      Translation:

No PW, I will not lower it gay shocker sticker dildo on the tow hook with air ride and BBS mad tyte yo.

Pretty spot on... lol.

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 05:22 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      Wrecked a ladies car, bought a manly car.

Thread approved
      Shh and give me your 22b...

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
      06-29-2012 05:24 PM #8
      Very nice! Great cars, you will enjoy yours. I assume the timing belt is all up to snuff?

I will decide your first mod for you. It does nothing for power, but it does sharpen up throttle response significantly.
      http://www.automotion.com/weltmeiste...1983-1989.html

Obligatory Rennlist forum link below.
      http://forums.rennlist.com/

06-29-2012 05:25 PM #9
      Enjoy it! They were built to be driven hard.....though be careful of the VERY weak transaxle. I blew 3 myself trying to be cool at 16 years old.
      - E92 M3
      - WK2 Limited
      - 944 Turbo
      - XJ
      - C3 Stingray

10. 06-29-2012 05:25 PM #10

Thanks for reading.
      Did it break yet?

Translation:

I don't even have a tow hook or bbs'. Listen here Hernz, I hope a loop of your intestine become trapped in the weak point in your abdominal wall. This would then obstruct your bowels, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting and the inability to have a bowel movement. We would then have a reasonable explanation as to why you are always full of sh!t.
      Last edited by PatientlyWaiting; 06-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.

11. 06-29-2012 05:27 PM #11
      How old are those tires?

Edit: Well, i'll be damned, they do still make white-letter Cooper Cobras.
      "This couldn't possibly break, I'll put it way the **** down there." -every German car engineer.

06-29-2012 05:27 PM #12
      PW? Paul Walker?
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 2001 Dodge Ram |

Vehicles
      2007 Caravan
      06-29-2012 05:29 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      PW? Paul Walker?

Vehicles
      Scoob Crosstrek
      06-29-2012 05:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

I don't even have a tow hook or bbs'. Listen here Hernz, I hope a loop of your intestine become trapped in the weak point in your abdominal wall. This would then obstruct your bowels, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting and the inability to have a bowel movements or pass gas. We would then have a reasonable explanation as to why you are always full of sh!t.
      You DO realize that if by some chance a part of my intestines has to be removed, I'm going to keep the rotten necrosis intestine section and ship it to you in a BBS box, right?

"Hmm, I don't remember ordering any $700 wheel bolts........ah ****."
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 05:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      How old are those tires?

Edit: Well, i'll be damned, they do still make white-letter Cooper Cobras.
      The tires are brand new... little to no tread gone.

and PW was PatientlyWaiting. Seems he replied anyways the dastardly person he is.

06-29-2012 05:40 PM #16
      Has a 16 candles kinda feel to it. Just needs to be lower.

2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

17. 06-29-2012 05:43 PM #17
      You DO realize that if by some chance a part of my intestines has to be removed, I'm going to keep the rotten necrosis intestine section and ship it to you in a BBS box, right?
      I couldn't wish for anything more from someone who's uninsured. I'll hang said piece of intestines on my Xmas tree in celebration of a Christmas miracle.

Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      06-29-2012 05:50 PM #18
      welcome to the 944 club, i ****ing love mine
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti
      Cockerpunk: 1
      TCL Hive mind troll brigade: 0

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      06-29-2012 05:52 PM #19
      Best upgrade ever, congrats.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan 1.4T Manual
      06-29-2012 06:02 PM #20
      Lower it fgt
      Offikial Minister of Bad Judgements and Floridian Truths of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-29-2012 06:12 PM #21
      Translation:

All that and he probably wanted to know if it broke yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
      Did it break yet?

I don't even have a tow hook or bbs'. Listen here Hernz, I hope a loop of your intestine become trapped in the weak point in your abdominal wall. This would then obstruct your bowels, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting and the inability to have a bowel movement. We would then have a reasonable explanation as to why you are always full of sh!t.
      That's very specific, it's nice to know you put some thought into this.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

22. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      06-29-2012 06:18 PM #22
      That's a good looking 944 you have. I suggest you do two things sooner than later:

1) change the battery ground cable (you'll thank me later ).
      2) THOROUGHLY go over the underside of the car. Take note of any corrosion forming on the starter, alternator, or other electrical points. I notice a New York plate and that tells me there's rust hidden in the worst places on your 944.

If you have any 944 specific questions feel free to IM me.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      8vS1, TDimk4
      06-29-2012 06:24 PM #23
      nice pick up

im just gonna put this here...

east.co.mo.fo.

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 06:24 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      That's a good looking 944 you have. I suggest you do two things sooner than later:

1) change the battery ground cable (you'll thank me later ).
      2) THOROUGHLY go over the underside of the car. Take note of any corrosion forming on the starter, alternator, or other electrical points. I notice a New York plate and that tells me there's rust hidden in the worst places on your 944.

If you have any 944 specific questions feel free to IM me.

obin
      Thanks Obin,

I am attempting to get some lift time with my roomies pops. So I can do a serious underside inspection.

How easy is the reverse light switch to swap out? Doing that tomorrow along with the drivers side window motor/regulator.

Thanks for the offer! If I have anything come up I'll pm you! Thanks again!

Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      06-29-2012 06:27 PM #25
      Fixed again. Leave it alone!

What's the wheel/tire size? I think it looks great meaty!

26. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      06-29-2012 06:32 PM #26
      Thanks Obin,

I am attempting to get some lift time with my roomies pops. So I can do a serious underside inspection.

How easy is the reverse light switch to swap out? Doing that tomorrow along with the drivers side window motor/regulator.

Thanks for the offer! If I have anything come up I'll pm you! Thanks again!
      While it is on the lift take note of ALL the bolts and hardware under there that you will need to replace. Set aside some funds for new bushings especially for the sway bar. Look for a 944 turbo front and rear sway bar on ebay. There's going to be a lot of rusty stuff under there but if you just use ebay and the Porsche dismantlers you can get it all for a reasonable price.

Take a while to look at the condition of the fuel pump, fuel lines, and the electrical connections going to the fuel pump. Also eyeball any oil leaks that might be starting. THE 944 SHOULD NOT LEAK A SINGLE DROP OF OIL FOR ANY REASON. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar and ignore any "advice" they give you. These cars are tight as a drum and a leak is indicating something bad and expensive if you ignore it.

The reverse switch is easy with a lift and a mirror. It's hell without a lift and a mirror. Driver's side window regulator isn't bad but how do you know it has to be replaced? A lot of those slow/inoperative window issues are because of corroded electrical connections. Check the window switch before you do anything else.

Also... buy a spare fuel pump relay and keep it in the glovebox. Make sure it's the latest version designed for the 993. Get one of those ceramic fuse emergency kits as well. You never know when you'll need one.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
      06-29-2012 06:43 PM #27
      THE 944 SHOULD NOT LEAK A SINGLE DROP OF OIL FOR ANY REASON. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar and ignore any "advice" they give you. These cars are tight as a drum and a leak is indicating something bad and expensive if you ignore it.
      This.

Also... buy a spare fuel pump relay and keep it in the glovebox. Make sure it's the latest version designed for the 993. Get one of those ceramic fuse emergency kits as well. You never know when you'll need one.
      And THIS. Part number 993.615.227.00 I believe, but I'd double check that.

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 06:45 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      Fixed again. Leave it alone!

What's the wheel/tire size? I think it looks great meaty!
      215/60 r15 or 215/50r15 I forget exactly.

While it is on the lift take note of ALL the bolts and hardware under there that you will need to replace. Set aside some funds for new bushings especially for the sway bar. Look for a 944 turbo front and rear sway bar on ebay. There's going to be a lot of rusty stuff under there but if you just use ebay and the Porsche dismantlers you can get it all for a reasonable price.

Take a while to look at the condition of the fuel pump, fuel lines, and the electrical connections going to the fuel pump. Also eyeball any oil leaks that might be starting. THE 944 SHOULD NOT LEAK A SINGLE DROP OF OIL FOR ANY REASON. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar and ignore any "advice" they give you. These cars are tight as a drum and a leak is indicating something bad and expensive if you ignore it.

The reverse switch is easy with a lift and a mirror. It's hell without a lift and a mirror. Driver's side window regulator isn't bad but how do you know it has to be replaced? A lot of those slow/inoperative window issues are because of corroded electrical connections. Check the window switch before you do anything else.

obin
      There are a few different fuses in the glovebox, I will look into the relay. The engine leaks none, I do know that much, not a drop in my garage spot for the 7 days i've owned it. So thats good.
      I know one of the previous owners (it seems to have changed hands a bit) I want to say 3 owners ago rebuilt the engine and you can tell this because he used that crappy blue wire cover stuff and its down under the intake mani and everything. So I am thinking aside from that and the captain america paint job he did on things (everything is red and blue...)

So for what I paid for it, and what needs to be done I think I picked up a pretty good find. I am not super hard on it, I think it should be good to me.

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      06-29-2012 06:51 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      This.

And THIS. Part number 993.615.227.00 I believe, but I'd double check that.
      That part number looks to be the correct one for the DME relay.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      06-29-2012 06:55 PM #30

Clean

Oh and my favorite car ever.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

31. 06-29-2012 06:58 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      Has a 16 candles kinda feel to it. Just needs to be lower.

Yep! needs to go find Molly Ringwald now...

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport, KHS Flite 100
      06-29-2012 07:03 PM #32
      Is there a 944 buyers guide anywhere here? Have been browsing...

Nice car...not a fan of the wheel/tire setup but that may just be me...
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

33. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-29-2012 07:13 PM #33
      Nice pickup! I'm partial to the later 944's but the early ones are nice for parts availability (Rabbit front control arms, anyone?) and some people really dig the earlier dash. In any event they are fun car to drive no matter the year.

I'm sure you know to check the timing belt ASAP--it has a much shorter maintenance interval than most modern cars, and can cause catastrophic damage if it fails.

If you need replacement (essentially, if you don't have a record of when it was last replaced/adjusted, you need replacement), also do:

-951 water pump
      -Tensioner
      -All rollers
      -Balance shaft belt
      -Thermostat (I went with a lower temp one in my car)
      -All hoses on the front end
      -Oil seals

Second the recommendation to have a spare DME relay in the glovebox. Damn things just die...

I'd also pull the battery and check for corrosion underneath. Common for even rust-free cars (like my old one) to have water on the passenger side carpet up under the dash due to corrosion eating through the metal under the battery, allowing water to enter the passenger compartment.

Also check the driver's side halfshaft, especially the inner CV joint and boot. It tends to fail prematurely due to exhaust heat.

06-29-2012 07:15 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by oh noes! cars! View Post
      Is there a 944 buyers guide anywhere here? Have been browsing...

Nice car...not a fan of the wheel/tire setup but that may just be me...
      http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...yers_guide.htm

http://www.944central.com/links/
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      06-29-2012 07:16 PM #35
      Obin and others have chimed in, but as a former Factory Tech I'll toss/offer up my help as well.

great car, and you will enjoy it for many years to come.

also, as others have mentioned, www.renlist.org and www.pelicanparts.com

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast