Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: About PDI's etc..

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SEL Premium/2012 Jetta SE (Both Candy White/Black
      06-29-2012 04:25 PM #1
      Generally it seems that the dealers are not doing a thorough PDI on the vehicles, maybe because they are selling pretty well PDI's are getting the "Swift" treatment.
      I had to go back 3 times for itzybitzy stuff. Admittedly I got a full tank of fuel & lots of apologies but I had hoped for a higher end PDI...............
      El Jay..
      Previously Owned:- Far too many'
      And ONE too many from
      MercedVolkswagen

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      06-29-2012 05:01 PM #2
      That's cause the PDI is there to boost survey ratings more than anything else. Auto makers are doing it to get higher JD power initial customer service ratings.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE, 2007 Rabbit (trade), 1995 Jetta VR6 GLX, 1985 Jetta coupe
      07-02-2012 09:22 PM #3
      A PDI is a................................................. .................................................. .............

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux
      07-02-2012 09:25 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 5potguy View Post
      Generally it seems that the dealers are not doing a thorough PDI on the vehicles, maybe because they are selling pretty well PDI's are getting the "Swift" treatment.
      I had to go back 3 times for itzybitzy stuff. Admittedly I got a full tank of fuel & lots of apologies but I had hoped for a higher end PDI...............
      What do you expect?
      Current: 2012 Passat TDI SEL / 2012 Touareg TDI Lux
      Past VW: 2005 Touareg 3.2 / 1996 GTI-VR6
      Past Other: 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 / 2007 BMW 328xi / 2006 Porsche Cayenne / 2003 Audi A6 3.0Q / 2001 Audi A4 2.8Q / 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / 1991 Honda Accord EX / 1989 Toyota Supra

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      07-02-2012 09:31 PM #5
      Post Delivery Inspection. Could be Pre Delivery depending on perspective of who's taking delivery dealer or buyer.
      Euro switch, 30% 3M nano ceramic tint, Chinese BiXenon headlights and LED tail lights, H&R springs, paddle shifter steering from V6, 20" Giovanna Kilis wheels, 225/35ZR20 Conti DWS tires

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLX
      07-03-2012 02:56 AM #6
      Isn't PDI just an exercise in how fast a dealer's lot boy can check off boxes on the form of the 50 or so checks that the dealer is supposed to do?

Most dealers' PDI is taking off the protective coatings on the body and interior, installing any dealer installed options, and installing a front license plate bracket for those states that require it. Any problem not caught at the final assembly plant will probably not be caught by the dealer.
      Last edited by shgolden; 07-03-2012 at 02:58 AM.

7. 07-03-2012 08:05 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      That's cause the PDI is there to boost survey ratings more than anything else. Auto makers are doing it to get higher JD power initial customer service ratings.

Incorrect. PDI = "Pre Delivery Inspection", or the process a vehicle is supposed to go thru prior to retail delivery. Back in the day (over say, 15 years ago) it was fairly common for most brands to ship vehicles to dealers w/o wipers, antenna, wheel covers, all fluids @ 100%, etc. (in fact, GM once hatched a plan to ship cars on rail trucks hanging nose down!!).
      Of course, dealer abilities varied, so the various surveys pushed automakers to move more & more "PDI" functions closer to the factory floor (the 1st to do full "PDI" before dealers was the old Moran Group that ran Toyota's business across the American SW - they built the first "factory" finishing points so that car arrived at dealers 100% ready to go - nearly 30 years ago).
      The fight nowadays is over the automaker's $$$ for PDI - as they've reduced the dealer's requirements, dealers have fought to keep the PDI reimbursments...

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SEL Premium/2012 Jetta SE (Both Candy White/Black
      07-03-2012 08:42 AM #8
      Financial or whatever:- A new owner should be able to expect the vehicle be delivered with an appropriate & comprehensive Pre Delivery Inspection..Tires at the correct pressure, Fluids at the correct levels, Lights all working correctly, Wipers checked & operating correctly & finally Paintwork & Glass Clean. If the dealer gets paid the customer is asking for nothing other than the results of a proper paid for PDI.
      I have just purchased 2 new cars from my dealer (Merced Volkswagen) and the customer service has been excellent, B U T:- the PDI's lacked QC...:roll eyes:
      The problem is twofold:- (1) costwise the dealer cannot afford to spend much time on the PDI.
      (2) the new owner is bedazzled by the shiny metal, smiling sales person
      & the mirage of Papers just signed..
      So it's back to the dealer on the new owners dime & time..............
      El Jay..
      Previously Owned:- Far too many'
      And ONE too many from
      MercedVolkswagen

9. 07-03-2012 09:42 AM #9
      Financial or whatever:- A new owner should be able to expect the vehicle be delivered with an appropriate & comprehensive Pre Delivery Inspection..Tires at the correct pressure, Fluids at the correct levels, Lights all working correctly, Wipers checked & operating correctly & finally Paintwork & Glass Clean. When the dealer gets paid the customer is asking for nothing other than the results of a proper paid for PDI.
      I know some will argue otherwise, but there is only one fault for poor PDIs - Dealer Greed. Nothing more, nothing less. Note that the brands w/good IQS scores are uniform in their PDI being handled prior to shipping to the dealer or a strong service system. It's not a coincidence.

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      07-06-2012 04:43 PM #10
      Financial or whatever:- A new owner should be able to expect the vehicle be delivered with an appropriate & comprehensive Pre Delivery Inspection..Tires at the correct pressure, Fluids at the correct levels, Lights all working correctly, Wipers checked & operating correctly & finally Paintwork & Glass Clean. If the dealer gets paid the customer is asking for nothing other than the results of a proper paid for PDI.
      I have just purchased 2 new cars from my dealer (Merced Volkswagen) and the customer service has been excellent, B U T:- the PDI's lacked QC...:roll eyes:
      The problem is twofold:- (1) costwise the dealer cannot afford to spend much time on the PDI.
      (2) the new owner is bedazzled by the shiny metal, smiling sales person
      & the mirage of Papers just signed..
      So it's back to the dealer on the new owners dime & time..............
      Lol Merced VW. Reminds me of when I test drove a MKVI golf and the hood wasnt latched. As I was merging on the freeway it wanted to fly open as I was gaining speed. Had to pull over on the freeway for the sales guy to close it.

Sent from my iDevice