Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 20 of 20

    Thread: i fully tightent this scrow is there any damage

    1. 06-29-2012 06:35 PM #1
      hi guys..

      The car was acting funny,, cold start issue but I fully tightent this scrow and raise the petrol flow,, the car was good at idle,, what will happen if the scrow is fully colsed

      check the pic. please

      [img width=440 height=330]http://vwtech.no-ip.info/images/golf/16vidlescrew.jpg[/img]

    2. 06-29-2012 06:37 PM #2


      this is the pic sorry

    3. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      06-30-2012 01:15 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by torontovka View Post
      hi guys..

      The car was acting funny,, cold start issue but I fully tightent this scrow and raise the petrol flow,, the car was good at idle,, what will happen if the scrow is fully colsed

      check the pic. please
      Your car will burst into flames
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    4. Member emkay2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2010
      Posts
      307
      Vehicles
      87' 16v GTI Mica Red
      06-30-2012 02:53 AM #4
      Damage of what?
      Thats like an idle screw, messes with the amount of air/fuel that goes in your throttle.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2008
      Location
      Japan
      Posts
      6,858
      Vehicles
      Miata
      06-30-2012 10:10 AM #5
      Can't help, sorry - but nice strut bar (eibach, correct?)

    6. 06-30-2012 05:03 PM #6
      It means that there is air leak somewhere,, any1 has clear diagram for the system ??

      thanx

    7. Member dubsport87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2003
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      8,307
      Vehicles
      Porsche 911 Mercedes e55 AMG
      06-30-2012 08:16 PM #7
      It will cause you to have poor grammar/spelling.

    8. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-03-2012 02:13 PM #8
      Buy a Bentley manual and read the part about the fuel system.
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    9. Member skateboards and mk2s's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2006
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      1,672
      Vehicles
      85 audi coupe, 85 audi 4000, 85 GTi, 87 scirroco, 87 golf GT, 96 GTi, now 85 Golf.
      10-03-2012 02:32 PM #9
      I wish I could help you but I know very little about 16v stuff. I believe this is just an idle adjustment for the butterfly. If so it will cause no damage to your engine. I would try your question in the 16v forum.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...v-Engine-Forum

      For the most part this forum is good for telling you if your cool or not but not so good at answering questions.

      When you sort it out please post your end result for future people with the same issue.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2007
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,370
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      10-03-2012 03:33 PM #10
      This is the idle air screw.
      IIRC screwing in CW opens up bypass and raises idle, Screwing out CCW closes bypass and lowers idle.
      It will do little harm if yours is in all the way in.
      Next time look for something else to adjust, like the air pressure in the tires to get more low.

    11. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-03-2012 06:02 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by skateboards and mk2s View Post
      I wish I could help you but I know very little about 16v stuff. I believe this is just an idle adjustment for the butterfly. If so it will cause no damage to your engine. I would try your question in the 16v forum.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...v-Engine-Forum

      For the most part this forum is good for telling you if your cool or not but not so good at answering questions.

      When you sort it out please post your end result for future people with the same issue.

      He's def right about the cool uncool thing.
      In all seriousness though, buy a bentley manual and read the part about CIS. It will make your life SOOOO much easier.
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2001
      Location
      Redding, CA
      Posts
      2,977
      Vehicles
      89 Tornadored GTI16v, 99 Titansilber M3
      10-03-2012 10:35 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 4RingsRuleALL View Post
      ... buy a bentley manual and read the part about CIS. It will make your life SOOOO much easier.
      There's a reason this is a dead horse on this forum, one that has been shot, dragged by a semi truck, dropped off at the glue factory, refined into glue, and then used to make the sticky side of the duct tape that holds most of these poster's MK2s together.

      The Bentley doesn't put enough emphasis on clean electrical connections and lack of vacuum leaks, but can get you towards the mythical goal of good and reliable running CIS-E.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2007
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,370
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      10-04-2012 09:38 AM #13

    14. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-04-2012 11:33 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvwfan View Post
      they make versions of that in English too...
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    15. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-04-2012 11:39 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
      There's a reason this is a dead horse on this forum, one that has been shot, dragged by a semi truck, dropped off at the glue factory, refined into glue, and then used to make the sticky side of the duct tape that holds most of these poster's MK2s together.

      The Bentley doesn't put enough emphasis on clean electrical connections and lack of vacuum leaks, but can get you towards the mythical goal of good and reliable running CIS-E.
      I do agree with you, but only til the part about Bentley not putting enough emphasis on clean electrical connections and vac leaks. Its a repair manual, it doesn't have to reiterate anything, if it says it once, in the right spot, that's sufficient. It is then the responsibility of whoever wants their car to run correctly, to follow god d@mn instructions. A proper running CIS car is not a mythical goal nor a difficult task. Read your manual, follow the procedures and you will arrive at a nice idle, smooth power delivery and an acceptable measure of reliability. BUT YOU HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    16. Member izzo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2004
      Location
      Bulgaria
      Posts
      17,525
      Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      10-04-2012 02:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvwfan View Post
      This is the idle air screw.
      Absolutely NOT; can't you read?
      This is the idle air SCROW.

    17. Member shwak23's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2009
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      1,186
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf Diesel, 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
      10-04-2012 10:44 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      Absolutely NOT; can't you read?
      This is the idle air SCROW.
      Finally. I couldn't believe helpful responses were out numbering the ones mentioning the fact he spelled screw wrong.... TWICE.

      Sent from my DROID X2
      I have various MKII and MKI parts. Mostly Diesels and some Gasser stuff.
      www.facebook.com/blackdogjunkyard <---------Here for pictures. PM me for More Info.


      Blackdog Junkyard

    18. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-04-2012 11:08 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      Finally. I couldn't believe helpful responses were out numbering the ones mentioning the fact he spelled screw wrong.... TWICE.

      Sent from my DROID X2
      Ya, but we let it slide since he only tightenT the scrOw,,
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    19. 10-05-2012 10:09 AM #19
      As noted many times before, that is the idle air screw - fully tightening it will affect idle speed but won't cause any permanent damage. That said, I've raced these cars for 15 years and owned them for longer than that. During that time, I have NEVER adjusted an idle air screw on a CIS or CIS-E car because the problems are always elsewhere.

      The only time I've ever touched the idle air screw is when it, embarrassingly, fell out - twice. I didn't learn the first time (or perhaps I changed throttle bodies, I don't remember) but every since, the idle screws in my cars are secured by silicone sealer to keep them from backing out causing a massive vacuum leak.

    20. Member 4RingsRuleALL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Hudson Valley
      Posts
      1,128
      10-05-2012 03:56 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
      I have NEVER adjusted an idle air screw on a CIS or CIS-E car because the problems are always elsewhere.
      Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
      There are people who know precision balance in tuning,and there are others who drive stock 1.8t.

      "The Caterpillar cannot understand the butterfly."
      -Timothy Leary

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •