Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Why did you go S4 V6T vs. S5 V8?

1. 06-29-2012 10:29 PM #1
      Am torn - heart says V8 - mind says V6 Supercharged ... looking for a trade up from an '04 S4 V8.

Looking at a 2010 /11 S4/S5.

Appreciate your thoughts - what do you love about your S4/S5 - what do you not?

Cheers
      Have:
      2012 S4 3.0T - Premium
      2007 A3 DSG 2.0T - S-Line
      2004 S4 V8 - 4.2
      Had: 2000 A6 4.2, 2000 A6 2.7T, 1986 Coupe GT

Vehicles
      2013 GLI
      06-30-2012 11:23 PM #2
      Baby on the way. I needed an easy access backseat. The V8 noise is quite sexy but the supercharged V6 makes way more power than advertised.

3. Member
      07-02-2012 09:54 AM #3
      Wanted a 4 door V6 manual sedan. Came down to 328xi, 335xi or the S4. For my overall liking, S4 won hands down after driving all 3.

4. 07-02-2012 09:29 PM #4
      Funny you should ask ...

I just had a 2005.5 Audi S4 V8. I liked it, but didn't ever fall in love with the car. I just decided this week, after thinking about it for months, that it was time for a new car. On my list was a new(er) S4, an S5, a 335xi or a Fiat 500 Abarth. Yes, the Abarth is stupidly cute. What swung it away from the Abarth was two things - the wife has a Fiat 500 and I wanted 1 slightly larger car, and the Abarth is not AWD. It is, however, a fantastic little car, but I digress ...

Anyways, I stopped in at the Audi dealer yesterday because they had (a) a new S5, (b) a CPO'd S5, and (c) a CPO'd S4. The new S5 (3.0T) had Audi Drive Select, sports diff, etc., as did the used S5 (V8), but the used S4 did not (it had pretty much every other option known, however).

Today I have a new-to-me CPO'd S4. Hands down, it was the best deal for me. After sitting inside the S5, I just didn't like the dimensions of it. I've also had a 2-door before and prefer 4 doors for everyday usability.

w.r.t. V6T vs V8, I am absolutely enthralled with the V6T - it's extra torque is just intoxicating and really, really noticeable in terms of in-gear acceleration, and it's overall performance is just phenomenal. Getting out of my old V8 S4 and into my new V6T S4, the difference is readily apparent. I'm probably committing heresy by saying it, but the sound of the V6 is much more musical to me than the flat bark of the V8.

As to the sports diff, quite honestly the "base" setup is more than good enough to get you arrested.

What swung it completely for me was the whole package deal - I got a great price, all the options I could want, and 4 doors of utility. Even though the S4T was more expensive than the used S5 (MY2011 vs MY2010), I opted to pay for it because it just made more sense overall - I could have gone for a new S4, but I wouldn't have gotten all of the options my new S4 now has.

The 3G MMI is a huge step forward compared to the RNS-E, and the 4G MMI is even better (that would be on the new S5 or a new S4), but the 3G MMI is more than usable (whereas the RNS-E was just abysmal).

If you want performance, strange as it seems, the V6T is a better option and it does that with an average mpg that is approximately 5mpg better than the old V8. Personally I think that those journalists who hanker after the V8 are just blowing smoke because they feel they have to say something bad in their reviews.

In summary, the V6T is just a wonderful engine, the performance is fantastic, and you get better mpg than the V8. To me, it's a no-brainer.

5. 07-02-2012 09:30 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VMPhil View Post
      Baby on the way. I needed an easy access backseat. The V8 noise is quite sexy but the supercharged V6 makes way more power than advertised.
      Oh yeah, after driving the two back-to-back, the butt-o-meter says that the V6T is stupidly powerful, more so than the V8 by far.

Vehicles
      2012 audi s4 and 2012 audi q5 both fully loaded
      07-09-2012 11:20 PM #6
      I picked the s4 because it is more practical and it beats the s5 in everything
      Practicality
      Quicker
      Handling
      More power after mods