Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 03 GLI needs a motor

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gli 24v VRT
      06-30-2012 12:35 AM #1
      Just picked up a new car as a project. Its a 03 GLI VR6 6 speed. Previous owner apparently hit something on the road cracking the oil pan. Then thought it would be smart to keep driving until it stopped. So I can only assume the motor is completly junk. I am going to pull it apart to see what it looks like. But I can only assume at this point.

My current plan is to find a decent used motor to put in it, or atleast to start with. Do all the general up keep while the motor is out just because it is easier. Here is where my main question comes in.

My plan is to get the car running, driving, inspected. After all is good. Its getting a turbo. I have had both a 12 valve VR6 and a 1.8t. I got this with the intension on building a fast car. So what is there I could/should do while the motor is out or apart the will be needed for the turbo, yet won't be an issue while its still stock for a little bit? I don't want to go huge on power. Just make it fun, daily driveable and reliable.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gli 24v VRT
      06-30-2012 12:39 AM #2
      and the other thing I forgot. Are there any things to look out for when finding a new motor? Better or worse engine codes, ect?

3. 06-30-2012 08:43 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
      and the other thing I forgot. Are there any things to look out for when finding a new motor? Better or worse engine codes, ect?
      If you decide to buy a Eurovan 24V VR6 (all automatics in the US) you need to check if the crankshaft is compatible for manual transaxle applications. I have not checked that aspect of a 24V 2.8l VR6 swap.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gli 24v VRT
      07-01-2012 11:37 PM #4
      Well I am having more issues finding a motor then I thought I would. Removed the accesory belt and was able to turn the crank with a breaker bar. I would say it took 2-3 times the force that it would normally. So it is not totally siezed.

Anyone know what the first thing to go is when the motor is ran out of oil? Is it possible it may just be rings? Going to hopefully get the motor out in the next few days if I get time and see what it looks like.

Were is a good source for parts if the motor is useable? What are my options for pistons? Trying to search but I seem to be reading an hour of junk to find a minute of good info.

5. 07-02-2012 01:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
      Well I am having more issues finding a motor then I thought I would. Removed the accesory belt and was able to turn the crank with a breaker bar. I would say it took 2-3 times the force that it would normally. So it is not totally siezed.

Anyone know what the first thing to go is when the motor is ran out of oil? Is it possible it may just be rings? Going to hopefully get the motor out in the next few days if I get time and see what it looks like.

Were is a good source for parts if the motor is useable? What are my options for pistons? Trying to search but I seem to be reading an hour of junk to find a minute of good info.
      Rod bearings typically go first and usually damage the crankshaft.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gli 24v VRT
      07-02-2012 04:32 PM #6
      perfect

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      07-04-2012 08:11 PM #7
      Location?

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gli 24v VRT