Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Near miss on motorcycle POV video.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      07-01-2012 01:26 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
      I disagree, the biker had enough time to veer off towards the center when he saw the oncoming car. He should have anticipated situation like this and planned appropriate response in advance instead of freezing like a deer staring at headlights. Of course it wasn't his fault but he could have handled it better.
      High horse much?

2. Banned
      Vehicles
      337/MKVI
      07-01-2012 01:34 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
      I would have turned around and went after the guy, at least get a plate number to report him
      Not watching the whole video claims another victim...

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      07-01-2012 02:03 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by 10-25 View Post
      Not watching the whole video claims another victim...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

07-01-2012 02:09 PM #54
      Driver deserves to lose license for a year and have sky rocket insurance premiums.

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      07-01-2012 02:11 PM #55
      I disagree, the biker had enough time to veer off towards the center when he saw the oncoming car. He should have anticipated situation like this and planned appropriate response in advance instead of freezing like a deer staring at headlights. Of course it wasn't his fault but he could have handled it better.
      how the hell could you possibly know that?

like stated before, the cyclist doesnt know what the other car is gonna do, is the other car gonna try and squeeze through closer to the yellow lines or is he gonna use the shoulder? you just dont know... and to say that you do is just ignorant.
      DIY harlequin
      VRT partout
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      07-01-2012 02:13 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      Not in PA. No painted lines on roadways may be used for traffic control devices. Traffic control devices must always be mounted on a sign/pole/etc. This is typical in states that often have snow covered roads. Also, if you've ever been stuck behind a large farm vehicle, and haven't seen a "No Passing" sign in the past few miles, you'll be happy that the law allows you to pass.
      However:

§ 3306. Limitations on driving on left side of roadway.
      (a) General rule.--No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the roadway under any of the following conditions:
      (1) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.
      (2) When approaching within 100 feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade crossing, unless otherwise indicated by official traffic-control devices.

(3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.

So, in other words, where a double yellow would be used to indicate a no-passing zone in other states, it's still illegal in PA, signage or not.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

7. Member
      07-01-2012 02:32 PM #57
      Did anyone actually talk to the car driver? You guys are assuming he was passing, maybe he had a medical situation, seizure, heart issues, low blood sugar, whatever.
      Whatever the driver was doing on the wrong side of the road certainly wasn't good for anyone, and, as a previous rider myself, I'm glad for the bikers that neither one of them were injured at all, other than getting their hearts started again after that. However, to wish evil on the driver for what you seen in the video, without knowing his side of the story, isn't right. If he was passing like a moron, then he ended up with atleast a smashed car out of it, maybe injuries, towing charges, probably police fines, etc, and hopefully some guilt for almost killing some innocent people. I certainly am not siding with the driver, however to pass judgement w/o hearing the whole story isn't smart either.

** Double flame suit on **

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      07-01-2012 02:36 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by ZackaryMac View Post
      Did anyone actually talk to the car driver? You guys are assuming he was passing, maybe he had a medical situation, seizure, heart issues, low blood sugar, whatever.
      Per the Youtube description:

"Driving on a 2 lane highway, a couple 17 year olds overtake a car on a blind corner, across a double yellow and miss my bike by about 2 inches! Hope this kids loses his licence til he's at least 30."
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

07-01-2012 02:37 PM #59
      What happend to the people in the civic? it looked pretty banged up and empty in the end.. just wondering if I saw the last seconds of someones life on tcl

10. Member
      Vehicles
      M235i 6MT fakerich edition
      07-01-2012 02:54 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by ADeHelian View Post
      how the hell could you possibly know that?

like stated before, the cyclist doesnt know what the other car is gonna do, is the other car gonna try and squeeze through closer to the yellow lines or is he gonna use the shoulder? you just dont know... and to say that you do is just ignorant.
      It appears to me that the biker had sufficient time to move into the center in which case whatever the car would do it wouldn't likely hit him (such a move is based on principle of lane-splitting which is even easier to perform here in Ontario because of wide lanes). I am not putting blame on the biker but if he was more experienced/skilled/anticipating then the Civic wouldn't end up in a ditch possibly resulting in casualties.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      07-01-2012 02:57 PM #61
      It appears to me that the biker had sufficient time to move into the center in which case whatever the car would do it wouldn't likely hit him (such a move is based on principle of lane-splitting which is even easier to perform here in Ontario because of wide lanes). I am not putting blame on the biker but if he was more experienced/skilled/anticipating then the Civic wouldn't end up in a ditch possibly resulting in casualties.
      You are such a f*cking tool that it's almost impossible to comprehend.

07-01-2012 04:21 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by RzinDubs View Post
      Driver deserves to lose license for a year and have sky rocket insurance premiums.
      You can insure a sky rocket?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      07-01-2012 04:29 PM #63
      OK superstar, let's put you in the exact same situation as the rider and see how you perform.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      07-01-2012 04:39 PM #64
      I know visual acuity is a little bit better IRL than in a video, but I would consider that 0 reaction time. Even knowing what is about to happen watching the video again to make up for the fact that it is less crisp than seeing it with your own eyes, the closing speed is just too fast to make any kind of judgement/reaction. Very glad your friend wasn't killed and hope the kids in the civic never forget what happened.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3
      07-01-2012 04:41 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      Wouldn't that be a near hit?

I mean, they did miss. But it was nearly a hit..

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      07-01-2012 05:22 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      You can insure a sky rocket?
      It's just comprehensive. It's not as expensive as you think, since they usually have the sky to themselves.

Vehicles
      01 Audi S4
      07-01-2012 05:31 PM #67
      And here we go... I was wondering why it took so long for the TCL Monday Morning Quaterback drivers to show up. You obviously have superior skills to 95% of all drivers/riders out there.
      01 Audi S4 K04 stage III. 13 Accord Sport. Past 07 BMW 335i
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      My point that you changing his quote to "prove him wrong" is ridiculous. Obviously we're talking about opinions and different needs. Its as if I'm hungry for a burger and you telling me that having a milkshake is better because you can drink them instead of chew.

Vehicles
      15' Ford Focus ST st3
      07-01-2012 06:05 PM #68
      as much as its infuriating to see the double yellow passing on a hill, riding a moto is risky. like if there was a medical emergency and the car ended up in your lane. YOU are still riding the motorcycle and they are in a car... risky business out there.

07-01-2012 06:05 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      In 20+ years of riding I've only gone after a f-tard once. In that case, the car pulled out of a stop sign as I was approaching the intersection on the main road (no stop sign) - there was no time to stop, I swerved into the lane for the opposite direction and missed the car, then stopped and turned around and went after it. The driver stopped and rolled down the window and was extremely apologetic - he knew he had screwed up - I hope he took my short lecture on "look twice, save a life" to heart.

For the video given here ... that was a close call. The problem here is that it's a crapshoot whether to go towards the center of the road and hope the wrong-way vehicle goes past on the wrong side, or go towards the side of the road and hope the wrong-way vehicle goes back into their own lane. I have heard of head-on collisions that happened in the ditch because both drivers made the call to swerve off the road. Doesn't matter bike or car, head-on at highway speed is ALL bad.

I don't like riding on busy two-lane roads for much this reason.
      I've gone into a ditch twice to save my life from a car coming head on. I would do it every time.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      SVO
      07-01-2012 06:07 PM #70
      It sounds weird (even offensive) to people who don't ride, or people who don't ride well, but you're absolutely right.

If you're going it right, riding is mentally exhausting. You need to be analyzing every car. Every intersection, even if you think no one is there. Every driveway. Playing every possible scenario in your head. That's the kind of behavior it takes to keep you alive when things go wrong. Also, practice. I practice u-turns, quick stops, and other maneuvers in empty parking lots about once a month. Even that's not really enough. I enjoy riding quite a bit, but you can't just cruise down a two line highway and let your mind wander. Every time you pass a group of cars, you need to think to yourself, "what will I do if one of these *******s tries to pass right now." Like I said before, it's exhausting, but it's the right way to ride, and a good rider would have eased gently to the center line in this situation.

And just for the record, I probably would have target fixated just like the guy in the video. I'm aware of my limitations.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

21. 07-01-2012 06:16 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      Hey hey. I've made plenty of safe and legal passes in good ol' Pennsyltucky, over double yellow lines. Never caused an accident because of crossing them, and never been ticketed. We did have a pickup truck driver swerve at a group of us that were passing him on a very open stretch of back road. He made several attempts at blocking us from passing, but in the end we maneuvered around him and never saw him again.
      There is only one way to put this. The mods can smack me if they want. You are an idiot and should not have a driver license. You have never made a safe and legal pass on double yellow lines.

Hopefully the next time the truck driver runs you off the road and beats your ass.

AND

§ 3307. No-passing zones.
      (a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local authorities may
      determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions
      where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would
      be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the
      roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or
      markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person
      every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings.
      Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing
      zone.

You aren't even able to comprehend what this is saying. Sheesh.
      Last edited by pknopp; 07-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.

22. 07-01-2012 06:24 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by silverA4quattro View Post
      vastxpunk, thanks for posting that additional info. Still seems kind of like a gray area between the actual law and manual.

Personally double yellow = no passing under any circumstances, I guess that's what NY State drilled into my head. Granted, I've been behind people on a double yellow that annoyed me and it was clearly safe to pass and I just sat there getting annoyed, so jokes on me there.

Seems to be an abundance of narrow, two lane two-way traffic roads in PA which I dislike. Particularly with people breaching the center lines all the time while they're busy texting.
      No, the law is not gray here. It is clear. Where the roads are marked as no passing (double yellow line) there is no passing. I rarely worry while out driving but the last few days has really got me thinking.

We have those here that seem to think they can pass on double yellow lines and we had a situation here that made me really question driving.

We had a storm through here that put the power out for nearly 48 hours (not all places are back online yet). All the stop lights were out. When they are out they become a 4 way stop. I couldn't believe than probably 60% of the people just plowed on ahead without even slowing down through the intersections.

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      07-01-2012 06:27 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      And just for the record, I probably would have target fixated just like the guy in the video. I'm aware of my limitations.
      It's more than just "fixation" though. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is nothing. Just keep it together, remain predictable, and be ready to bail. This is my attitude when I'm on track. I've had some stupid **** happen in front of me and *never* have I made an evasive move out of panic. It's just not productive.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

07-01-2012 06:31 PM #74
      Wow, at first I thought it was one of those crazy Russian dash cam videos

25. 07-01-2012 06:53 PM #75
      I'm guessing the bike is now up for sale? lol

I had a few close calls, and then sold the bike when I had one with my girlfriend on the back. Too many stupid drivers out there texting away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast