Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R, 2004 MKIV R32 (sold)
      07-03-2012 01:26 PM #36

That's why I have this in the back of my R:

Quote Originally Posted by BRSomm View Post

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-03-2012 01:43 PM #37
      I get no respect from MKV and MKVI GTI owners in my club - I think they are just hating - what other car can you buy that is AWD(both for handling and snow driving), 4 doors, turbo charged, covered under warranty(till you mod that part), easily modable, and reliable for what we paid... I paid the extra money for a reason...
      Before - 2007 Fahrenheit GLI - Unitronic Stage 1+ - Valentine1 - 35% tint all around

Current - 2012 Golf R - 4dr - Rising Blue - APR Stage 1 - BSH PR CAI - Valentine1 - 50% tint all around

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      07-03-2012 01:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by jthearne View Post
      I get no respect from MKV and MKVI GTI owners in my club - I think they are just hating - what other car can you buy that is AWD(both for handling and snow driving), 4 doors, turbo charged, covered under warranty(till you mod that part), easily modable, and reliable for what we paid... I paid the extra money for a reason...
      Inferiority complex. You would be upset too if you only saved $4,000 but missed out on a factory K04 with upgraded internals and AWD.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R
      07-03-2012 02:03 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      Inferiority complex. You would be upset too if you only saved $4,000 but missed out on a factory K04 with upgraded internals and AWD.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      07-03-2012 02:26 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by jthearne View Post
      Makes no sense. If they released a Golf RS that had the 2.5T and cost $46K, I would respect it. (and probably buy it)

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      07-04-2012 01:46 PM #41
      My R is Rising Blue, so really only other "in the scene" people know what it is. Although I have seen a few people point and tell their passengers about it. Like Sunday when the passenger in a Stickered/Spoilered/fartcanned Maxima pointed at my car a few times while saying something to the driver. Then when the light changed and I was making the left turn (they were on the left of my going straight down the same road i was turning into) I saw both drivers side windows roll down.

I honestly get more attention my Corrado. At least once a month some middle-aged guy will give me a or some older successful guy in an Audi will give me the nod.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status

7. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      07-04-2012 02:10 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      I honestly get more attention my Corrado. At least once a month some middle-aged guy will give me a or some older successful guy in an Audi will give me the nod.
      Heh, it's probably the car they lusted over in highschool

8. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      07-04-2012 02:11 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by goforit2007 View Post
      haha.. I bet that you'd find someone fast to do that swap with you!
      Quote Originally Posted by speeedfrk View Post
      ill give you my rears for your fronts. i like the R logo. pm me if youre serious. ill pay shipping.
      Heh, sorry guys, was just kidding about it

Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      07-04-2012 03:26 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by phastman View Post

That's why I have this in the back of my R:
      where the heck did you get an 'attack' bunny?
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

-1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

10. Member
      07-04-2012 06:18 PM #45
      This should change things....

http://youtu.be/hXlJ6ssR08A?hd=1
      Last edited by Daniel Parker; 07-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.
      Daniel Parker

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - Black
      07-04-2012 07:15 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Parker View Post
      This should change things....

http://youtu.be/hXlJ6ssR08A?hd=1
      I thought you were going to go up the runaway truck ramp and do some flying. I was disappointed.

2012 Golf R - Black WETDUB
      APR Stage 2++ (Build Thread)

Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R, 2004 MKIV R32 (sold)
      07-05-2012 04:57 PM #47
      I got the sign from a local wildlife museum and the killer rabbit from here:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/778d/
      Quote Originally Posted by goforit2007 View Post
      where the heck did you get an 'attack' bunny?

13. 07-05-2012 06:12 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by MissUnderstood View Post
      This thread is funny! In my view the golf r showed have kept the gti r 20 name keeping the original theme going. After all the gti label is the hatch sports car right? But some pencil pusher had a different agenda I guess.
      Except that VW does things according to their history. GTIs have always been FWD. AWD drive Golfs have always been Golfs. Golf Rallye, Golf R32, Golf Country, Golf Highline 4 motion, Golf R.

14. 07-06-2012 04:19 AM #49
      I currently have a 2011 335i Coupe and I'm seriously considering a Golf R when my lease is up in the spring if they're still around at that time. I know a lot of people won't understand that transition, but few regular car buyers will ever understand that car people gravitate to cars built specifically for car people.

I feel the same way about the Subaru BRZ -- it's a bit boy racer looking for me, but I'm going to test drive one as well because I'd be a fool not to try a car that's so purpose built for balance and fun (at any price). It's fairly shocking that cars like the Golf R and BRZ sneak out of these large companies given how boring everything else has become. If people like us don't buy them, they might not be around much longer.

One thing I won't miss about driving a 3 Series Coupe: way too many Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe drivers try to antagonize you and instigate stupid driving. I don't usually make blanket statements about car brands and their respective buyers, but I really sense that many Infiniti drivers feel they have something to prove to BMW drivers. I wouldn't mind having something a little more low-key next time around...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-06-2012 09:13 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster View Post
      I currently have a 2011 335i Coupe and I'm seriously considering a Golf R when my lease is up in the spring if they're still around at that time. I know a lot of people won't understand that transition, but few regular car buyers will ever understand that car people gravitate to cars built specifically for car people.

I feel the same way about the Subaru BRZ -- it's a bit boy racer looking for me, but I'm going to test drive one as well because I'd be a fool not to try a car that's so purpose built for balance and fun (at any price). It's fairly shocking that cars like the Golf R and BRZ sneak out of these large companies given how boring everything else has become. If people like us don't buy them, they might not be around much longer.

One thing I won't miss about driving a 3 Series Coupe: way too many Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe drivers try to antagonize you and instigate stupid driving. I don't usually make blanket statements about car brands and their respective buyers, but I really sense that many Infiniti drivers feel they have something to prove to BMW drivers. I wouldn't mind having something a little more low-key next time around...

Lol one of the only people to ever start something with me in my R on the road was a g35(at least after market exhaust) - I'm over that ("racing") part of my life now but I just had to show him that the R would crush him.... and let me tell you my stage 1 R had about the same HP but the torque and AWD is what this guy didn't realize was going to crush him
      Before - 2007 Fahrenheit GLI - Unitronic Stage 1+ - Valentine1 - 35% tint all around

Current - 2012 Golf R - 4dr - Rising Blue - APR Stage 1 - BSH PR CAI - Valentine1 - 50% tint all around

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R RB 2D
      07-06-2012 09:22 AM #51
      I currently have a 2011 335i Coupe and I'm seriously considering a Golf R when my lease is up in the spring if they're still around at that time.
      I came from a 135i before my R. The 135i was fast when it was dry out. The R is fast all the time. Especially at stage 1.

Vehicles
      12 RB loaded 2Dr, 72 Monte Carlo, 99 Magna, 00 Valkyrie Interstate.
      07-07-2012 03:45 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Siliconrane View Post
      I thought you were going to go up the runaway truck ramp and do some flying. I was disappointed.

i second this.....wweeeeeeeeeeee

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 G37 coupe, 2006 Jetta
      07-18-2012 11:20 AM #53

There are plenty of cars out there geared for enthusiats. Evo, WRX/Sti, 370z, gen coupe, G37, stangs & camaros and even the mx5/rx8. The R and BRZ are nothing new, special or worth fawning over.

You wouldn't understand the g37/335i rivalry that has been going on for nearly a decade. The g35/g37 have been targeting M3s since their inception. BMW owners instigate as much bull**** as G37 drivers trying to prove their "german" engineering is vastly superior to the japanese. The G is a "poor man's" 335, while the 335 owners are all poseurs and *******s (respective forum opinions.) Both cars run low 13s but the 335i has a slight advantage and can be tuned to beat M3s. The G is $10k cheaper though but NA so it has more limitations. As an owner of an '11 EvoX, '10 G37 and '06 Jetta(wifes) I can appreciate almost everything. I am thinking of trading the G for a Nismo Z, but I do really enjoy the G. But don't buy a BRZ thinking you won't receive bad attention. At least with the 335i you can back it up.

19. 07-18-2012 11:39 AM #54
      A bit OT but anyways.

You are missing the point if the gt86.... absolute car control..
      the original ae86 was basically a corolla yet it was the starting point of drifting with keiichi.
      All proper car enthusiast should be able to appreciate what the 86 is about..
      stop the douchebag ego bruising hater backing up crap up when it comes to other ppl's car, be it a g or a 335, be it an r or not. Just enjoy your cars.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 G37 coupe, 2006 Jetta
      07-18-2012 11:52 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
      A bit OT but anyways.

the original ae86 was basically a corolla yet it was the starting point of drifting with keiichi.
      stop the douchebag ego bruising hater backing up crap up when it comes to other ppl's car, be it a g or a 335, be it an r or not. Just enjoy your cars.
      A "proper" car enthusiast can "appreciate" the brz as much as they want, but that doesn't mean they'll go out and buy it - with cars like the Z in production and only $4 grand more (loaded BRZ = $28k, base Z more equipped standard = $32k.) the fact only 818 BRZ sold in June is proof the BRZ is all hype and the frs isn't doing that much better. Go drift a miata if you like drifting and being a boy racer all the time, nobody cares about your 80s corollas.

21. Member
      07-18-2012 12:04 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
      A bit OT but anyways.

I didnt see any douchbag ego in any of the previous posts.

Regarding the 86, its a great car indeed but what some new owners are finding is that for daily driving it just doesnt provide any excitement because its meant to be a razor through twisties. Unless your drive to and from work is twisty mountain road then you wont be able to enjoy what the car can do on a daily basis. Its certainly a purpose built car and for some that will fit their needs wonderfully, while others are finding that it is not.

22. 07-18-2012 12:08 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by 06jettaSEL View Post
      A "proper" car enthusiast can "appreciate" the brz as much as they want, but that doesn't mean they'll go out and buy it - with cars like the Z in production and only $4 grand more (loaded BRZ = $28k, base Z more equipped standard = $32k.) the fact only 818 BRZ sold in June is proof the BRZ is all hype and the frs isn't doing that much better. Go drift a miata if you like drifting and being a boy racer all the time, nobody cares about your 80s corollas.
      There you go, more of that internet keyboard warrior immature self righteousness.
      Just go drive one and enjoy any car for what it is. Golf r being the evolution of the original hot hatch mk1 golf gti, or the gt86 being the evolution of ae86.
      They both have cult icons as predecessors, both fun cars, happy days really.

23. 07-18-2012 12:15 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by r1eater View Post
      I didnt see any douchbag ego in any of the previous posts.
      Here you go. The whole backing up to attention bit, hence the point of just enjoy our cars, no dissing required. His reply to my comment is a classic case too.

Quote Originally Posted by 06jettaSEL View Post
      But don't buy a BRZ thinking you won't receive bad attention. At least with the 335i you can back it up.
      Last edited by s2d4; 07-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 2012 GLI
      07-18-2012 12:58 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by HardKnox View Post
      Things I miss most about the C4S that the Golf lacks:

2) Heavily rear biased AWD system that aided predictability and handling manners

4) Ridiculously neutral and confidence inspiring handling

I plan on working towards rectifying some of the shortcomings as I am able.
      FYI, the HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen4 controller is the best mod that seemingly no one is doing. After replacing the mediocre all-season tires, this is the first mod I'd do. It makes the car far more linear and predictable in corners.
      DD: 2012 GLI with a friggin' plaid roof.
      Gone but not forgotten: 2010 Golf 2.5
      Summer fun: 1995 M3
      Former E36 318i driver and self-appointed Chairman of the Momentum Preservation Society.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-18-2012 01:01 PM #60
      gotta love switchable haldex fun
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      07-18-2012 01:09 PM #61
      I did my Competition controller and can't wait to take the car to VIR this weekend to see how she feels near the limit.

27. Junior Member digital-jellyfish's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (RB), 2003 20th AE GTI (IY)
      07-18-2012 04:08 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      FYI, the HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen4 controller is the best mod that seemingly no one is doing. After replacing the mediocre all-season tires, this is the first mod I'd do. It makes the car far more linear and predictable in corners.
      THIS. I just installed the switchable Haldex upgrade last night. The 3 different modes give the R multiple personalities, selectable at will... and Race mode will most definitely take your handling confidence to a whole new level.
      2012 Golf R | 2003 20th AE GTI #3530

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      07-18-2012 05:38 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Got it, just need to get it installed.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-18-2012 05:41 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by HardKnox View Post
      Got it, just need to get it installed.

do it yourself

you can borrow my jackstands
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 13 Jetta, 67 Lincoln Continental
      07-18-2012 05:54 PM #65