VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: so it starts: PPT 3071 "build"

Vehicles
      MKIV AWP, 08 TL-S 6MT
      07-16-2012 10:57 PM #71
      looks great dude,

i would suggest some dei heat wrap for your oil/coolant lines

and maybe some header wrap over your intake pipe ( i know it looks so good tho) but id prefer to have cooler intake temps, especially when its right above mani/wg

just some thoughts
      My Build: 1.8L AWP PPT GT3071r Billet Wheel Tial Vband/8:1 Mahle Pistons/Arp Mains/IE H-Beam Rods/ACL coated Bearings Mains & Rods/ARP Everything/Fluidamper/IE Manual Timing Kit with Gates Belt/AEB head/Supertech Intake/Supertech coated Exhaust/Supertech Spring & Retainer kit/IE CVA1 Cams/IE Cam Gear/SEM Mani/Hemi TB/EV14 1000cc/ CM FX400
      PAG PARTS

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-17-2012 04:40 PM #72
      ooooookay! really trying to sew this build up!

downpipe installed, rest of the exhaust will be made locally after break-in happens.

rear O2 sensor doesn't reach, might cap it off, might extend it, haven't decided..
      no cat, anyway.

got some passenger side shaving done, looks ****ty IRL right now... not my main concern atm.

core support mounted, started mocking up FMIC piping, getting ready to drill rebar.

gotta go mount my IC.
      ALMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by *+NEIL*+DIAMOND*+ View Post
      If you're going to cut ANYTHING out of the harness; it has to be resistored
      good call, buddy.
      got a resistor on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jstnGTI View Post
      as a temp solution, leave it unplugged or plug it in and cap the vacuum lines?

i apologize for the amount of questions, I'm still not clear on what to do.

just don't want to go limp q;
      still need an answer for this.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
      3071/rods/ppt.. and still just a gti.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T JETTA & 2000 TTQ
      07-17-2012 05:12 PM #73
      as a temp solution, leave it unplugged or plug it in and cap the vacuum lines?

i apologize for the amount of questions, I'm still not clear on what to do.

just don't want to go limp q;
      if you can tune it out with maestro, don't bother plugging it in
      if you cannot, then leave it electronically plugged in only
      you don't have to cap anything, as there won't be anything attached to it, right?
      what are you using for boost control? an MBC or EBC or just from the WG for now?

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T JETTA & 2000 TTQ
      07-17-2012 05:13 PM #74

I really hope that you plan on cutting into the rebar, that is way too low and I am not sure how you will ever fit any bumper on there like that...if you manage to massage a bumper on there, then you will destroy your IC with the first speed bump then driving your car with no IC is not very much fun overboosting your turdbo ...

Vehicles
      MKIV AWP, 08 TL-S 6MT
      07-17-2012 06:13 PM #75
      you will 100% need to cut out ur rebar, something like this (i cut out too much cuz it was my first time but it did the job, make sure u have a serious cobalt drill bit and top notch sawz all blades, those rebars r no joke, i ended up using a torch

My Build: 1.8L AWP PPT GT3071r Billet Wheel Tial Vband/8:1 Mahle Pistons/Arp Mains/IE H-Beam Rods/ACL coated Bearings Mains & Rods/ARP Everything/Fluidamper/IE Manual Timing Kit with Gates Belt/AEB head/Supertech Intake/Supertech coated Exhaust/Supertech Spring & Retainer kit/IE CVA1 Cams/IE Cam Gear/SEM Mani/Hemi TB/EV14 1000cc/ CM FX400
      PAG PARTS

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-17-2012 09:39 PM #76
      yeeeeaaahhh. I just had it sitting there. gotta cut soooo much.

I'm just trying to get it into position so my bumper will fit, then make the cuts.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf GTI
      07-18-2012 01:47 AM #77
      hey quik question where did you get that coolant filler neck??

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-18-2012 02:27 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIhatchin View Post
      hey quik question where did you get that coolant filler neck??
      auto parts store. locally. make some calls.

local parts store had to order it from their warehouse within the state.
      order it online if you have to.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-18-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf GTI
      07-18-2012 02:34 AM #79
      Looked at summit and jegs couldn't find nothing was just wondering

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-18-2012 02:57 AM #80

ugh.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      07-18-2012 07:33 AM #81
      i bought my moroso filler neck on ebay, but i have seen them on jegs before as well. another company called "CSR" makes nice billet filler necks as well. 1.25" is what you want for the stock upper radiator hose. i bought 1.5", it was too big so i had to run 1.5" hose up to the coolant flange from the radiator inlet
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

12. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      07-18-2012 05:00 PM #82
      The only time the screamer pipe opens is at full boost. Unless you are boosting 10psi it will hardly ever be open.

I have also read that the wastegate regulates boost better with it open. Not sure if there is any truth to that

Vehicles
      04.5 cooking ladle
      07-18-2012 05:20 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      The only time the screamer pipe opens is at full boost. Unless you are boosting 10psi it will hardly ever be open.

I have also read that the wastegate regulates boost better with it open. Not sure if there is any truth to that
      I have read that with an open dump you get a lot of exhaust fumes within the cabin etc...any truth to that?

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      07-18-2012 05:26 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelstilzchen View Post
      I have read that with an open dump you get a lot of exhaust fumes within the cabin etc...any truth to that?
      False, its not like its open just idling, it opens when your giving the car hell so it doesn't have tme to reach the cab
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

15. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 12:19 AM #85
      Unless you drive around at wide open throttle all the time I don't see how that is possible

Vehicles
      04.5 cooking ladle
      07-21-2012 07:49 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by One-Eight GTI View Post
      False, its not like its open just idling, it opens when your giving the car hell so it doesn't have tme to reach the cab
      That makes sense

Unless you drive around at wide open throttle all the time I don't see how that is possible
      haha, yeah I guess I did not think about it too much and ended up asking a stupid question

Any updates JstnGTI?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-22-2012 06:06 AM #87

Any updates JstnGTI?
      started the car just now. everything seems to be sound. except i have no throttle response.

had to extend my rear o2 sensor, so i think an error there might be the problem.
      it's dark, i'm tired. i'm waiting for my phone to charge cause i don't own a legit flash light.
      going to re-evaluate the rushed wiring and see if i can solve the problem and get this bad boy broken in.

after i figure this out, i'll fill in the gaps, pictures and all.
      right now it's just a mad dash to get this beast back on the road.

edit: o2 sensor wiring is fine. car idles, moves when clutch is disengagued (vr6 clutch feels nice ) but no throttle. epc light is on.

got some searching to do.... tomorrow.

Edit edit: I may have moved the throttle position a tiny bit while cleaning it before I swapped it to the TT manifold. could be the problem according to this:
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...nd-No-Throttle
      Second post.

I don't think it's my pedal. never had a problem, and never touched it.
      MAF is unplugged, but according to maestro, the tune will automatically go to "mafless" mode if it's unplugged.

help.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta SE
      07-22-2012 09:28 AM #88
      Do a throttle body alignment. Measuring block 060 and then click "basic settings".

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 10:01 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      Do a throttle body alignment. Measuring block 060 and then click "basic settings".
      i remember i had to unplug my throttle body once and when i put it back it wasn't quite snug and i had the EPC light and no throttle until i fixed it. make sure the plug is on there all the way and no water or other fluids has got in there
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-22-2012 10:57 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      i remember i had to unplug my throttle body once and when i put it back it wasn't quite snug and i had the EPC light and no throttle until i fixed it. make sure the plug is on there all the way and no water or other fluids has got in there
      Thanks guys. did both and now the car won't start. I'm not sure what to do from here.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-22-2012 11:09 PM #91
      Followed this:

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1.8 View Post
      How To – Perform a Throttle Body Adaptation

If your car is idling poorly, has recently been reflashed, or the battery has been disconnected, you may need to perform a Throttle Body Adaptation.

Step 1 – Connect your Powertap Tuning Cable to your computer and plug it into your vehicle’s OBDII port. Open the Eurodyne Flash Client software. Turn your Key to the ‘On’ position but do not start your car.

*** The Eurodyne Flash Client and Maestro 7 Tuning Suite are updated frequently, make sure you are running the most recent software versions to ensure your cable functions properly.***

Step 2 – Open the ‘Measuring Blocks’ feature from the dashboard of the Eurodyne Flash Client.

In the block selection field on the left hand side of the screen enter ‘60’, then select ‘Switch to basic settings’.

The words ‘ADAPT RUN’ will appear in the Status field of the measuring blocks while the throttle body adaptation is taking place.

When the status field reads ‘OK’, select ‘Switch to measuring blocks’ and you’re done!

still have power, just now it won't do anything after turning the key.

this is as far as I get.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 11:09 PM #92
      ^^not sure about the car problems, but change your sig

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-22-2012 11:16 PM #93
      ^^not sure about the car problems, but change your sig
      Thanks big tom... >.>

24. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-23-2012 01:00 AM #94
      Does it crank and just not turn over or does it not even try to crank?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-23-2012 01:18 AM #95
      Does it crank and just not turn over or does it not even try to crank?

It cranked AND started the first time I did the adaption ( still no throttle ). after that nothing.

I updated maestro to 4.2.7 from 4.2.6. I'm going to try again in a little bit.

reaaaally want to get this bad boy running. if nothing after this try, I might try a friends TB in the morning.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-23-2012 at 01:46 AM.

26. 07-23-2012 07:52 AM #96
      Try disconnecting the battery for at least 15 minutes, then give it a try. I had the same issue once where i disconnect the TB for cleaning n when plugged again it gave me hell. I had to do like 15 TB adaptations in a 3 day span until it got working back again (got the EPC n it wouldnt rev). I learned no to unplug my TB ever again!
      Last edited by a4e3y5; 07-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.
      Pag Parts kit, PTE 5130, Brute rods, Eurodyne 630cc, Stg 2 water/meth, Pag Parts FMIC Kit with TT225 intake mani, Stage 3 Clutchnet n 17lb FW, 398whp @ 24psi

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 09:15 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by a4e3y5 View Post
      Try disconnecting the battery for at least 15 minutes, then give it a try. I had the same issue once where i disconnect the TB for cleaning n when plugged again it gave me hell. I had to do like 15 TB adaptations in a 3 day span until it got working back again (got the EPC n it wouldnt rev). I learned no to unplug my TB ever again!
      damn i don't mess with mine either. unplugging the battery for a while does help sometimes

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-23-2012 01:04 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by a4e3y5 View Post

I'll try it. thanks buddy.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-23-2012 11:41 PM #99
      no luck. anyone have any other suggestions?

any way this can be ECU related?

I did have to cut/ extend the rear o2 wires. maybe some of them touched? there are two white wires, maybe I mixed them up at one point?
      http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...nd-no-throttle

fuuuuuck.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-24-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 08:12 AM #100
      no luck. anyone have any other suggestions?

any way this can be ECU related?

I did have to cut/ extend the rear o2 wires. maybe some of them touched? there are two white wires, maybe I mixed them up at one point?
      http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...nd-no-throttle

fuuuuuck.
      that could be your problem. they sell extenders for like 10 bux on ebay

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-24-2012 01:04 PM #101
      that could be your problem. they sell extenders for like 10 bux on ebay

didn't even need to extend it after all -________________________-

just had to unravel it a bit.

IDIOT!

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 02:06 PM #102
      didn't even need to extend it after all -________________________-

just had to unravel it a bit.

IDIOT!
      yeah, i didnt think Arnold would do that to you lol. he doesn't slip like that

33. 07-24-2012 02:13 PM #103
      Hey man...nice project you got going. I am going to start mine soon too. (waiting for it to cool down in Texas)

I had issues with my gti years ago where it would not turn over. It would also just radomly die at stop lights. It turned out to be a bad crank position sensor. You should check the crank position sensor and the crank sensor.

Check those two out and get back.

I want to see your **** run!
      FUKKENSPOOLIN!
      2012 mkVI GTI -Bone stock
      2001 mkIV GTI - Upsolute, Forge Valves, 10lb fly wheel & stg II clutch, samco boost hoses, custom fiberglass audio in boot.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 (AWD engine) GTI :: 2011 Shadow Blue GTI
      07-24-2012 02:39 PM #104
      I'm wondering if you'd do mine next.thanks. Also total cost doing it yourself if you don't mind me asking. Wish i stayedin sservice fit that nice paycheck lol. I want to do this but with a spare motor for free time and twin scroll. V/r

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-24-2012 03:22 PM #105
      yeah, i didnt think Arnold would do that to you lol. he doesn't slip like that
      can't blame Arnold, haha.
      1.) before today I didn't know you reeeally didn't even need to use it.
      2.) I didn't even try to unravel the harness.

my lack of knowledge completely. wish I knew how sensitive that o2 sensor was though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdakaotic View Post
      Hey man...nice project you got going. I am going to start mine soon too. (waiting for it to cool down in Texas)

I had issues with my gti years ago where it would not turn over. It would also just radomly die at stop lights. It turned out to be a bad crank position sensor. You should check the crank position sensor and the crank sensor.

Check those two out and get back

I want to see your **** run!
      ^that makes two of us!

found out it wasn't turning over because I forgot to ground the motor to the frame and partially because my battery was low. turned over last night, still nothing. sourced an ecu a couple hours away and I think i'm going to make the drive. thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehodge View Post
      I'm wondering if you'd do mine next.thanks. Also total cost doing it yourself if you don't mind me asking. Wish i stayedin sservice fit that nice paycheck lol. I want to do this but with a spare motor for free time and twin scroll. V/r
      I'd do that! sounds sick.

You do know i'm located in Washington state though, right?
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-24-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast