Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: so it starts: PPT 3071 "build"

1. 07-25-2012 04:56 PM #106
      so you think you fried the ECU? Do you think crossing those white wires on the o2s coulda fried it?

oh well. You will get it. Nothing good comes easily most the time. Just keep pressing on.
      FUKKENSPOOLIN!
      2012 mkVI GTI -Bone stock
      2001 mkIV GTI - Upsolute, Forge Valves, 10lb fly wheel & stg II clutch, samco boost hoses, custom fiberglass audio in boot.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-26-2012 07:15 PM #107
      I put quick connectors on the harness side and stupid me didn't wrap them in tape so I think the shirt happened when they touched. found an ecu kinda locally (3 hours) and flashed it the correct way and it ran!

Took it out for a drive, had some issues.

got some kinks to work out, but it'll come along.

3. 07-27-2012 09:25 AM #108
      Did you build the head at all? I want to do basically the same build, but I want to throw some exhaust valves and springs while I have the head off...maybe polish the ports.
      FUKKENSPOOLIN!
      2001 mkIV GTI - Upsolute, Forge Valves, 10lb fly wheel & stg II clutch, samco boost hoses, custom fiberglass audio in boot.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Golf IV GTI
      07-27-2012 09:39 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by kevdakaotic View Post
      Did you build the head at all? I want to do basically the same build, but I want to throw some exhaust valves and springs while I have the head off...maybe polish the ports.
      +1 on that.

@jstnGTI, well done bru. It's the home stretch now.

I wish the rand dollar exchange rate would drop so i could go BT on my car.

BT 1.8T 20v FTW!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-27-2012 11:12 AM #110
      Nah, didn't do any head work. just cleaned up all the carbon build up and the deck before putting it back on.

something large port would have been nice , valves prolly would've been nice too. just wasn't any room in my budget for valves, unfortunately.

6. 07-27-2012 01:00 PM #111
      yah, this build isn't really in my budget, looking at about 7gs...I figure whats another grand?
      FUKKENSPOOLIN!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-27-2012 07:47 PM #112
      yah, this build isn't really in my budget, looking at about 7gs...I figure whats another grand?
      I think I'd puke if i added up all the money spent on this build, hahaha.

it's the little things that rape.

hose clamps, hoses, hardware, fluids, ciggarettes, last minute specialty tools, impatiently overnighting things, replacing things you fck up, etc. etc. etc.

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      07-27-2012 08:05 PM #113
      I just did a bt build, no where near as awesome as yours but I bet I hit the parts store 15 times in two days while I was building it. Probably near 5k in parts over here.

You should bring this down to Great canadian at the end of the month!
      http://gcvws.com/
      50 trim'd up!
      http://ctsturbo.com-/thread

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-28-2012 01:28 AM #114

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-28-2012 09:25 PM #115
      hmmm. okay.

initially i had a huge problem with oil getting everywhere, smoke for days, etc.
      thought i had a turbo problem, but i called a local place that rebuilds turbos, and they suggested checking my crankcase pressure, and "angle of oil return."

did some investigating, and realized my catch can was hooked up incorrectly, and the oil return line wasn't making a straight route back into the oil pan.

sorted those things out last night, changed the oil from ND 30, (after the initial break-in) , ran the car down the street after it got to temperature, and things seemed to be looking up.

extreme decrease of oil smoke, spillage, things like that. and the turbo actually built boost. very shortly, brief, but i know it did.
      hit 15 on the small road in front of my house. (open downpipe, didn't want to get pulled over in the street.)

i got pretttttttty excited.

here's the problem, i let it idle til it warmed itself, then tried to take it out.
      no boost at all.
      ran codes, nothing.

no matter how much throttle, doesn't go past 0.

what kind of things should i be looking for? should i be seriously concerned with something vital? i know i need to take a compression test to monitor how the break-in went, was having problems during that time, again...

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      07-29-2012 02:30 AM #116
      sounds obvious but your boost hoses to see if one of them blew off,
      50 trim'd up!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-29-2012 02:42 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by 20VCanuck View Post
      checked around. no dice. I increased the boost on the mbc, with hopes the wastegate was stuck open. I'll check to see if I have any luck the next time I can run it again. waiting on exhaust to come in so I can do actual road tests. 3" open downpipe is waaaaay too loud.

Vehicles
      1990 GTI 1.8t, 2003 Passat Wagon 4motion V6, 2012 Grand Caravan
      07-29-2012 01:32 PM #118
      Try running off your wastegate spring only. Maybe your mbc is hooked up incorrectly?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-29-2012 02:23 PM #119
      the mbc came with a diagram, haha. I'll try it though.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      07-29-2012 07:51 PM #120
      Why not use the N75 to confirm things work? Maybe its just me, but MBCs seem to work as often as not (my TT never liked the HPBC I have in a drawer)
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      2012 CSG GTI with man pedal. 2008 Hayabusa 1340cc
      07-30-2012 12:54 AM #121
      arnolds kits have changed alot as far as appearance since Val(BT 18T) and i got our original T3 kits. i think alot of my feedback to Arnold helped with that stuff. hes a great guy, and listens to all of his customers input as far as small fit and finish details are concerned.

here is what my setup looked like. started working on it in 2007 working with Arnold on the FMIC layout, what was originally going to be a passenger side dual pass, i wanted it driver side with a TT manifold, so later i could run a SEM. the hardware fit great and performed even better

still wrapping it up. OEM battery and battery case fit like a glove

silicone outlet, to pancake, to PPT pipe.

FMIC and pipework

i loved my PAG kit, it was perfect on the street, drove better than stock and surprised A LOT of people.
      Take a second and thank a Veteran.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      07-30-2012 01:50 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Why not use the N75 to confirm things work? Maybe its just me, but MBCs seem to work as often as not (my TT never liked the HPBC I have in a drawer)
      Deleted and resistored.

Hallman pro mbc? That's the one I got after the nut and bolt blew out of the one I bought from silverjetta. my fault entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted b5 View Post
      arnolds kits have changed alot as far as appearance since Val(BT 18T) and i got our original T3 kits. i think alot of my feedback to Arnold helped with that stuff. hes a great guy, and listens to all of his customers input as far as small fit and finish details are concerned.

here is what my setup looked like. started working on it in 2007 working with Arnold on the FMIC layout, what was originally going to be a passenger side dual pass, i wanted it driver side with a TT manifold, so later i could run a SEM. the hardware fit great and performed even better

still wrapping it up. OEM battery and battery case fit like a glove

silicone outlet, to pancake, to PPT pipe.

FMIC and pipework

i loved my PAG kit, it was perfect on the street, drove better than stock and surprised A LOT of people.
      cool bro.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 07-30-2012 at 01:57 AM.

18. 07-30-2012 02:12 AM #123
      jstnGTI, please check your PM

cheers bud!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-07-2012 10:28 PM #124
      my apologies for the lack of updates/neglect towards this thread, but I just got the car up and running smoothly.... kinda.

I think I have to try to dial in my boost controller. as of now, nothing hinders the boost from reaching 30+ (that's how far my boost gauge reads). I have to kinda ease the pedal along in order to avoid something terrible. I know this because I stepped on it ONCE, and my boost gauge went crazy. got scared and said i wouldn't do that again, hahaha.

got 20lbs over three springs in my wastegate, and I still haven't loosened to the boost controller all the way to see what happens. my goal is to boost 20-22lbs.

going up the rpms is pretty choppy. like, it's stumbling. I'm going to go ahead an attribute that to the sht coil packs. will upgrade to 2.0 real soon.

any suggestions would help on the over boost issue.

I'm going to make an effort to hit the dyno and get some videos up soon for you guys!

thanks for watching!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-07-2012 10:30 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by 20VCanuck View Post
      Turns out, this was exactly it. ic clamp right off the turbo blew off.

props!

21. Forum Sponsor AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      08-07-2012 10:41 PM #126
      If there are three springs in there, take out the small burgundy one. Do you have the vac line on one of the bottom ports and everything else plugged? The top has to have at least one open if you're using an MBC. Sounds like you need to gap the plugs
      Pag Parts
      Turbocharger Systems, OEM Parts / Fabrication
      Garrett / PTE / BW / TiAL / Clutchmasters / Southbend / Brute Con Rods / Wiseco / CP Pistons / Supertech / Ferrea / CatCams / Walbro / EV14 Injectors / Eurodyne Software / Much More... Pag Parts Facebook

Vehicles
      2012 CSG GTI with man pedal. 2008 Hayabusa 1340cc
      08-07-2012 11:36 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by AL@PagParts.com View Post
      Sounds like you need to gap the plugs
      over 24psi i ran the 4554 plug(8 range) gapped at .020" and it ran great
      Take a second and thank a Veteran.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-07-2012 11:55 PM #128
      If there are three springs in there, take out the small burgundy one. Do you have the vac line on one of the bottom ports and everything else plugged? The top has to have at least one open if you're using an MBC. Sounds like you need to gap the plugs
      Hey Arnold! nice to hear from you.

yes, all the unused vacuum ports around the base are plugged. the one on the tippy top is open and the one directly below that.

i thiiiiiink that's correct?

then again, I haven't heard the wastegate open yet.

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-08-2012 02:23 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by jstnGTI View Post
      Turns out, this was exactly it. ic clamp right off the turbo blew off.

props!
      Glad you have er' going. Ha, wow your having the same issue's I have been having on my build.

I was boosting to no end when I first had it going. I had the mbc on backwards. Running no tension on the mbc (Or try running a line directly from wastegate to vac port on manifold) should result in running off wastegate pressure.

Im also having stumbling issues when part throttle driving and sometimes in boost. Im going to close the gap up to .26 on bkr7e

Goodluck!
      50 trim'd up!

25. Forum Sponsor AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      08-08-2012 08:58 AM #130
      Hey Arnold! nice to hear from you.

yes, all the unused vacuum ports around the base are plugged. the one on the tippy top is open and the one directly below that.

i thiiiiiink that's correct?

then again, I haven't heard the wastegate open yet.
      Hey Justin. Rotate the gate so the dump is closer to the valve cover bw the intake and head so it gets away from the inlet pipe. You can angle it appropriately because it is an open dump. You have it plugged in fine and perhaps need to adjust your boost settings and take out the smallest spring in the wastegate. You can experiment w/ spring rates as well but you should only have two springs in there to start as tial seems to want to package them with 3 springs by default.
      Pag Parts
      Garrett / PTE / BW / TiAL / Clutchmasters / Southbend / Brute Con Rods / Wiseco / CP Pistons / Supertech / Ferrea / CatCams / Walbro / EV14 Injectors / Eurodyne Software / Much More... Pag Parts Facebook

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-08-2012 12:37 PM #131
      ^okay. I'll try it tonight in a vise. it was TOO hard to close that wastegate by hand. doing it after the motor was in was a bad idea! hahah

the mbc came with a diagram, and I installed it accordingly.

the wastegate sounds like it's fluttering, which I think means it's trying to open, but can't.

we shall seeeeeeee.
      Thanks for everyone's help!
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 08-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.

27. Forum Sponsor AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      08-08-2012 12:41 PM #132
      Yeah its tough. Thank goodness for 20 ton presses in the shop but gotta be careful
      Pag Parts

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-08-2012 01:03 PM #133
      Yeah its tough. Thank goodness for 20 ton presses in the shop but gotta be careful
      LOL, 20 ton press
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-08-2012 01:25 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      LOL, 20 ton press
      My foot is a 20 ton press (;
      Haha

30. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      08-08-2012 01:28 PM #135
      This is the best tool for holding the wastegate closed during reassembly. It won't scratch it like a vise either. You can purchase at any home depot

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-08-2012 01:47 PM #136
      are you serious?! I own one of those and have never used it! honestly I don't even know where it came from. haha.

I planned on using cardboard between the vise and the gate. protect it. it's so slick looking, you know?

32. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 05:04 PM #137
      are you serious?! I own one of those and have never used it! honestly I don't even know where it came from. haha.

I planned on using cardboard between the vise and the gate. protect it. it's so slick looking, you know?
      the rubber pads on the vise will protect it. I put the maximum spring pressure in it using that vise.

33. 08-08-2012 07:10 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      the rubber pads on the vise will protect it. I put the maximum spring pressure in it using that vise.
      He was referring to his bench vice
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

34. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 08:29 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by *+NEIL*+DIAMOND*+ View Post
      He was referring to his bench vice
      Whoops my bad

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      08-08-2012 10:12 PM #140
      well, I tried the black spring (.4 bar) and the blue spring (.4 bar) for a total for .8 bar for a total of ~11.6 psi. Have the mbc adjusted nearly all the way out. still no control over boost.

Hallman pro mbc

installed according to this.
      Tial 38mm mvs[?] wastegate.

I think it flutters less with the subtraction of that third spring.
      Last edited by jstnGTI; 08-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast